Sparta reconstruction... (slow build...maybe) - Page 2 - Ford Bronco Forum
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 178 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1988 Bronco Custom, 300 4.9L, ZF5 Manual, and the rest is under construction
Garage
Well, got a little done on it. Got sick before starting the body removal, but I did get the interior pretty stripped out.

Shelby started messing with editing on pictures she took and she took/edited this pic. I like it cuz it pretty much shows the start of the destruction

The interior without the sub boxes, amps, battery, seats, etc

Then the pics after removing the carpeting and everything else

And the crap that came out

I'll get the body ready to come off this weekend and post when its taken care of

1988 Bronco Custom, 300 4.9L, ZF5 Manual, and the rest is under construction

Quote:
They're like the Chuck Norris of engines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 178 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1988 Bronco Custom, 300 4.9L, ZF5 Manual, and the rest is under construction
Garage
Well I got most of the connections between the body and the frame disconnected, but the only thing slowing me down is that the body mount bolts are spot welded to the nuts... Apparently, the bushings have never been replaced and it shows on the one that I was able to remove. BTW, broke one of the bolts

Now it's time to bring out a grinder or a hacksaw and try to get it removed.

Quote:
post #23 of 178 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 12:59 PM
Redneck Engineer

Bronco Info: 79 Bronco Ranger XLT C6 35's
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88LiftdBronco View Post
Well I got most of the connections between the body and the frame disconnected, but the only thing slowing me down is that the body mount bolts are spot welded to the nuts... Apparently, the bushings have never been replaced and it shows on the one that I was able to remove. BTW, broke one of the bolts

Now it's time to bring out a grinder or a hacksaw and try to get it removed.
That sounds like fun! Subscribed!

post #24 of 178 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Does anyone know of a company that has the full body mount kit (including hardware)? All I'm generally finding is just the bushings, not the hardware too

Quote:
post #25 of 178 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 09:58 PM

Bronco Info: '94 Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.0 automatic
heres a body Lift kit.. comes with all hardware

http://shop.broncograveyard.com/Body...uctinfo/33333/

and heres is stock.. youll need both for complete instalation...

http://shop.broncograveyard.com/Body...uctinfo/33100/

EDIT:
you will need these either route you go

http://shop.broncograveyard.com/Body...uctinfo/33090/

My Build :DSW's 94 Eddie Bauer

My console build: Custom Center Console
post #26 of 178 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsw422 View Post
heres a body Lift kit.. comes with all hardware

http://shop.broncograveyard.com/Body...uctinfo/33333/

and heres is stock.. youll need both for complete instalation...

http://shop.broncograveyard.com/Body...uctinfo/33100/

EDIT:
you will need these either route you go

http://shop.broncograveyard.com/Body...uctinfo/33090/
Thank you for the links! I was afraid I'd have to spend 350 bucks on some bolts... Understandable for suspension, engine, axles, etc, but not the body mounts lol

I really don't want to go to a body lift at all, but I might have to look for like a 1" BL if it comes with the new bolts... oh well.

Thanks again man!

Edit: Wouldn't I only need to buy new grade 8 bolts the same size as the ones I cut out? I have all the rest of the hardware...

Quote:
post #27 of 178 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the links! I was afraid I'd have to spend 350 bucks on some bolts... Understandable for suspension, engine, axles, etc, but not the body mounts lol

I really don't want to go to a body lift at all, but I might have to look for like a 1" BL if it comes with the new bolts... oh well.

Thanks again man!

Edit: Wouldn't I only need to buy new grade 8 bolts the same size as the ones I cut out? I have all the rest of the hardware...
there isnt a 1 inch body lift that i know of.. 2 inches is the least..

heres the 2 inch.. (same price as 3 inch )

http://shop.broncograveyard.com/Body...uctinfo/33335/

and yes, you could just get new bolts, washers, nuts... but i'd recommend replacing the mounts and bushing while your there..

post #28 of 178 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 01:41 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
there isnt a 1 inch body lift that i know of.. 2 inches is the least..

heres the 2 inch.. (same price as 3 inch )

http://shop.broncograveyard.com/Body...uctinfo/33335/

and yes, you could just get new bolts, washers, nuts... but i'd recommend replacing the mounts and bushing while your there..
Ya, I was planning on buying new bushings already (since theyre from 1988, they look like crap and flattened/breaking) lol Just didnt see the need for $350 in hardware when I have everything except for the bolts

As far as the BLs, I don't pay attention to them, so I have no clue whats out there. That topic has too many cons out there so in my eyes, BLs are non existant

Quote:
post #29 of 178 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 12:05 PM

Quote:

As far as the BLs, I don't pay attention to them, so I have no clue whats out there. That topic has too many cons out there so in my eyes, BLs are non existant
most of what you hear bad about body lifts are false or b/c they were installed improperly... I'll be putting one on my rig soon..

post #30 of 178 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 06:05 PM

Bronco Info: 1978 Bronco XLT Trailer Special
Quote:

Thanks again man!

Yes, you are correct that you can just buy the correct bolts locally, especially if you have a good local source.

As far as the body bushing retainers, LMC Truck is one source. I had bought new ones from my local Ford dealership years ago, but I don't think they are a source any longer.

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fd/full.aspx?Page=12

There are many sources for the body bushings. Here is a link to a few from Summit Racing. Keep the progress coming

http://www.summitracing.com/search/y...2%2B4294950451
post #31 of 178 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 06:15 PM

Here is a link to Jeff's that has the "sleeves" listed. Hope it helps.

http://shop.broncograveyard.com/Body.../products/605/
post #32 of 178 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
most of what you hear bad about body lifts are false or b/c they were installed improperly... I'll be putting one on my rig soon..
In my experience/knowledge of them, the only thing they do is create more clearance for larger tires.. no REAL offroad gain as in ground clearance.. the axles, frame, etc stays the same height and just gives the perception of having a lift on it. Plus, it creates an unsightly gap between the body and the frame, not to mention the modification needed to the steering, bumpers, and core support to make it look/run right. But then again, the only BLs I've been around is on my brother's old chevys and they just serve no purpose except to give the "offroad look"..

Could be misinformation (doubt it) but I personally don't want to go that route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getting There View Post
Here is a link to Jeff's that has the "sleeves" listed. Hope it helps.

http://shop.broncograveyard.com/Body.../products/605/
Thanks for the links Getting There.

As far as the body mount bushings, they all pretty much look like this...

This is the one that broke the head off the bolt.

I do believe these are from the factory in 1988 and just replacing these SHOULD get rid of a lot of creaks and groans while wheeling.

EDIT: I also decided not to go the 4 link and 3 link route after more research on the designs. I'm now looking at going with a triple rate coilover setup front and rear since it'll give me generally an all around capable rig (from what I've seen). Leaf springs are cheap way to go and don't like to do a lot of articulation, 4 link is exceptional articulation but are harder to use as a road worthy vehicle (not to mention the price/planning to build it) and the coilover setup is kinda the middle grounds for both...

PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong but mine's going to be a DD as well as offroad pretty much daily when done so I'm just trying to find the happy medium

Quote:
post #33 of 178 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 11:24 PM

Quote:
In my experience/knowledge of them, the only thing they do is create more clearance for larger tires.. no REAL offroad gain as in ground clearance.. the axles, frame, etc stays the same height and just gives the perception of having a lift on it. Plus, it creates an unsightly gap between the body and the frame, not to mention the modification needed to the steering, bumpers, and core support to make it look/run right. But then again, the only BLs I've been around is on my brother's old chevys and they just serve no purpose except to give the "offroad look"..

Could be misinformation (doubt it) but I personally don't want to go that route.

you are correct.. i thought u were saying that they are bad to use.. Body lifts are like you said to allow a larger tire clearance from the body. our broncos (80-96) arent very keen to suspension lifts over 6 inches (though there are 8 inch ones).. the 6 inch lift will allow up to 35's-37's.. add a body lift and that size increases to 37- 39's.. you can of course run larger but risk rubbing..

you also mentioned the gaps between the frame and body.. here is a link to solve that issue..

http://shop.broncograveyard.com/Uret...uctinfo/33337/

BTW glad to see a fellow bass head .. what numbers were you running??

post #34 of 178 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 11:45 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the links Getting There.

As far as the body mount bushings, they all pretty much look like this...

This is the one that broke the head off the bolt.

I do believe these are from the factory in 1988 and just replacing these SHOULD get rid of a lot of creaks and groans while wheeling.

EDIT: I also decided not to go the 4 link and 3 link route after more research on the designs. I'm now looking at going with a triple rate coilover setup front and rear since it'll give me generally an all around capable rig (from what I've seen). Leaf springs are cheap way to go and don't like to do a lot of articulation, 4 link is exceptional articulation but are harder to use as a road worthy vehicle (not to mention the price/planning to build it) and the coilover setup is kinda the middle grounds for both...

PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong but mine's going to be a DD as well as offroad pretty much daily when done so I'm just trying to find the happy medium
I assume you mean you are going to run coil-overs instead of coils in the front with radius arms? The radius arm front is very good for a daily driver and can flex quite well off-road. Much easier to set up than a four link. Not sure what you mean about coil-overs in the rear with leafsprings. Leafsprings can flex real well and are easy to set up. With leafsprings you will not need coil-overs. Keeping a traditional Bronco suspension will definitely be the easiest in my opinion and should work well for what you have described you are looking for.
post #35 of 178 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
BTW glad to see a fellow bass head .. what numbers were you running??
Nah, just saying that I don't personally want to use them because I don't see a need for them.

As far as the stereo, I was 145+ after replacing the blown subs, but I'm wanting to be around 155 db after I'm done with the rebuild. the other rig I'm hoping to be closer to 160 or more.. I know it's a difficult number to beat, but I'm full of determination

Quote:
post #36 of 178 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Nah, just saying that I don't personally want to use them because I don't see a need for them.

As far as the stereo, I was 145+ after replacing the blown subs, but I'm wanting to be around 155 db after I'm done with the rebuild. the other rig I'm hoping to be closer to 160 or more.. I know it's a difficult number to beat, but I'm full of determination

Wow... Not bad... 155 is certainly a milestone... Cone area and linear xmax are your friends, lol... You said other rig, what other rig do you have and what's in that

post #37 of 178 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Well there's no system in it yet lol but it will be getting one. I might keep the Trooper and build one in it, but I'm leaning towards the option of trading it in or selling it to get something with more cab space.. more cab space means more subs lol

Quote:
post #38 of 178 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Well there's no system in it yet lol but it will be getting one. I might keep the Trooper and build one in it, but I'm leaning towards the option of trading it in or selling it to get something with more cab space.. more cab space means more subs lol
Haha.. my dream vehicle is an Excursion!! Tons of space!! Though my first vehicle was a 95.5 rodeo and I kno Isuzu's are tough vehicles.. I had 4 kicker comp 10s in mine hooked to 1500 watts.. custom door panels and rear 6x9 pods.. I miss that truck

post #39 of 178 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 01:57 AM Thread Starter

Garage
That's actually what I'm going for lol an excursion

Quote:
post #40 of 178 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 11:16 AM

Bronco Info: 90' 351/E40D 38" tires, 4.88 gears, full float 8.8, lockers F&R
Quote:
EDIT: I also decided not to go the 4 link and 3 link route after more research on the designs. I'm now looking at going with a triple rate coilover setup front and rear since it'll give me generally an all around capable rig (from what I've seen). Leaf springs are cheap way to go and don't like to do a lot of articulation, 4 link is exceptional articulation but are harder to use as a road worthy vehicle (not to mention the price/planning to build it) and the coilover setup is kinda the middle grounds for both
Not sure I understand. A coil over solves your shock/spring, but you still have to locate the axle. Also, there's no reason a 4 link is not road worthy.

Edit, if your thinking of removing all the leafs except the top one, a coil over could work, but then you need something to control axle rap.

Check out my "Molasses Project"http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=197652

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 78 - 96 Build Forum....Builds only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode