Sparta reconstruction... (slow build...maybe) - Page 5 - Ford Bronco Forum
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 197 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1988 Bronco Custom, 306 5.0L I6, ZF5 Manual, and the rest is under construction
Garage
Ya I've looked through them, JBG, Jegs, Summit, and quite a few more.

But I had to take in the main caps and bolts so they can hone the block and also ordered new intake and exhaust valves from Summit. While I was dropping them off, they told me what they found... They magnafluxed the head and found cracking all around the exhaust ports... so the head is shot... Time to start looking for a new one. while they check out the block. I'll hear from them in a couple days about the block (hopefully nothing bad!!!) but I'll post whether its good or bad. If it turns out to be bad, I'll be looking at an engine swap to either a 460 or a 4bt cummins

Edit: Found a place that has aluminum heads. just don't know about them.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/se...Cylinder+Head)

Just don't know whether to go with or without smog.

1988 Bronco Custom, 306 5.0L I6, ZF5 Manual, and the rest is under construction

Quote:
They're like the Chuck Norris of engines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 197 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 07:29 AM

Bronco Info: 1978 Bronco XLT Trailer Special
That stinks about your head, but I guess it is good you got it magnafluxed before putting money into it. I would try to do as much research as possible about the aluminum head. There are alot of parts being cast in China and by the sounds of it need quite a bit of work to make them "right". From what I read, the castings are usually OK with some work but the valvetrain parts are junk. I would just do your homework, as you definately seem to be doing, so you don't get burned.
post #83 of 197 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1988 Bronco Custom, 306 5.0L I6, ZF5 Manual, and the rest is under construction
Garage
Well, after talking to Auto Parts Warehouse twice (first time was an offshore call center, second was in San Diago) I felt a little more at ease, but not completely.. I looked at their website a minute ago and found their supplier for the head.. American Cylinder Head out of Oakland, CA. APW wants $482 plus a $210 core.. ACH wants $446.. and no core charge! Feel a little better since it's not China crap, but still no idea if it's cast or aluminum. Calling ACH tomorrow direct and asking about it.

Quote:

post #84 of 197 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 02:50 AM
I scrape on both sides

Bronco Info: 91 ish
Just catching onto this. Never had an issue with American cylinder head down in oakland. I believe they do a lot of fork lift stuff as well so I would make sure the one your getting isnt somehow modified in some stupid way to run natural gas.

good to see the shits rolling for this though. miss that big red turd XD

I vot for a 460 though. try and find one with the zf already attached
post #85 of 197 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonhughes2009 View Post
Just catching onto this. Never had an issue with American cylinder head down in oakland. I believe they do a lot of fork lift stuff as well so I would make sure the one your getting isnt somehow modified in some stupid way to run natural gas.

good to see the shits rolling for this though. miss that big red turd XD

I vot for a 460 though. try and find one with the zf already attached
Ya, I called them direct and the guy let me know exactly what was going on with their heads, so nothing stupid has been done to them. And this big red turd could definitely get up and go, but now it'll be even better

and the more I think about it, I can't leave my little 4.9 out of the Bronco. Which means, I have to get another bronco to make a diesel or put a 460 into. Sparta has to stick with the 300.

Anyways, ACH called out APW on their bs because I asked JUST the right questions lol. I mentioned that they're advertising it as an aluminum head and I didn't see any mention from my research that any company was/had made one.. He told me they have no idea what they're shipping out (kinda obvious after the first phone call I made to them) and that they only have the cast heads for the 4.9L so, in 2 days I'll be placing my order through ACH direct and cut out the middle man. you Auto Parts Warehouse lol

Quote:
post #86 of 197 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Just a little update... The new valves from Summit showed up today and ship back out tomorrow for a refund. The new (to me) head will be here tomorrow and I'll also call up the machine shop to find out some news on the block (haven't heard a single thing from them since my last conversation). I'm betting everything is good, but just want to be 100% sure before putting more money in this engine. (I'm already over $700 in on just the head and bore/honed block) I'll post pictures tomorrow after work when I see the head and show their work in case someone was looking to get one from them. Fingers are crossed I don't get fawked on this..

Anyways, I'll update tomorrow on everything with pics.

Quote:
post #87 of 197 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Alright, got hit with a "severe" snow storm yesterday and my head was sitting in Bend as of yesterday (about 30 miles from my place/Redmond) supposed to be here today, but yet again, it hasn't shown up.. A little frustrating, but understandable. Went to the machine shop on my lunch break and talked to the guy about the block. It magnufluxed ok, so no problems there, but he originally stated it would be done this week at the latest, but my block got pushed back another 2 weeks due to lack of staffing and the holiday. So HOPEFULLY, I'll get the head shortly (tonight or Friday) and I can start ordering the roller rockers and start getting the engine put together until the block is done. I'm also going to contact some custom fab/performance shops about different routes to mount twin turbos to some long tube Hooker headers without destroying the headers from the extra heat from the turbos.

OH, I also decided to twin turbo Sparta. Superchargers would be a pain to mount unless I went to a centrifugal one but after research, they wouldn't be able to produce boost as quick as I'd like, so I decided 2 smaller turbos would be a better route. Quick to spool but still produce sufficient power in the RPM range I'll be working with (4k max)

So, with all that being said, I'll be updating as items arrive and post pics as soon as they show up

Quote:
post #88 of 197 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 03:37 AM Thread Starter

Garage
It FINALLY showed up!!

Quote:
post #89 of 197 (permalink) Old 12-17-2015, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Sorry about the lack of updates, but there hasn't been a lot to announce.

The machine shop is taking their sweet a$$ time doing everything, so I decided to just move on with the build. Ordered the new pistons and rings (4.04" bore). and about to be placing my order for the camshaft, lifters, and timing gears to get those on the way. Found a place here locally that can powdercoat the frame for $325-350 IIRC (when I get the frame ready). The owners of Subaru recommended a welding shop here in town to weld the zf5 bellhousing back together and they said it'll be anywhere between $50-125 to do since it's aluminum. Still hunting for my front axle with no luck unfortunately but I haven't gone to LKQ (I know it'll be more through them).

Other than all that, my mom went into surgery about a week ago, so that kinda stopped everything for a bit to take care of her and make sure my dad is able to handle taking care of her (he's getting up there in age...) so I'm getting pulled away from the bronco until the pistons show up and the block comes back. But as soon as it's here, I'll be putting the engine back together.

Also, Smith Brothers pushrods in Redmond (like 10 miles from my house) is waiting until I have the engine pretty mush assembled to come out and build a set of rods for it. Got everything lined up except for connecting rods and a crank (gonna see if they're still good to use before looking).

I'll update again as soon as parts arrive or my block comes back.

Quote:
post #90 of 197 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 02:25 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Well, I got these today!

Quote:
post #91 of 197 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 01:22 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Been about a month since I've updated this. Been too cold out and dark too early to be able to actually get any work done.

However, I did get my cam in, found out Friday that the block FINALLY got it's bore, cam bearings, and hone done, got the t-case torn apart and found out why it wasn't shifting/locking the front end in, and more.

To start with, the new cam...

Pressing the old cam out to get the plate..

Then started teardown of the t-case...

Can anyone see the problem in this pic?

And after running through the parts washer a few times.. (yes, I know the bearing is still in it. I'm ordering all new parts, just didn't have a bearing puller and didn't think about the press until after I got home yesterday)

And finally, I've been staring at this truck outside my bay at work for about a month now.. Beautiful inside and out and found out Friday that the guy that owns it had a bunch of engine work done on his car and he can't afford the bill now. So he put his truck up as collateral until he found a way to pay for it... Friday, he told my boss he's going to just hand the title over to Subaru to pay off the shop bill and get $1000 back.. With discounted emplyee pricing and the $1000, I can buy it for a whopping $2500.. Runs, drives, is perfect inside, and only has minor clearcoat issue. Has the 400, auto trans, 2wd, dual tanks, and the lock box in the pass side of the bed. It was owned by an older guy that babied it and tried keeping it covered unless driven.

That's about all I got for now... just gotta see what's going on with the block on my lunch tomorrow.
79BroncoSpringTx and Cobra07 like this.

Quote:
post #92 of 197 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
FINALLY got all this back. Understandably, they're busy, but at the same time, they continuously pushed mine onto the back burner.. I haven't taken any of it out of the bags except for the pistons. just have a couple more things to order and then I'll start assembly.. Then onto the trans and transfer case.

Quote:
post #93 of 197 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 01:14 AM

Bronco Info: 1996, 5.8L stock for now
wicked, just like a kid in a candy store I bet. I'm having a hard time with my patience, I want to do a 408 stroker build for my tired, oil dripping (rear main) 351w but built a new house last year on a new development area and all my neighbors on the block are landscaping which is a must for myself. Bout 12k for the yards soooooo no build this year. Unless my poker skills improve drastically lol. Anyways, good luck with everything!!

Kelly G
post #94 of 197 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 01:03 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Oh ya! for awhile there I felt like I was stuck... So I went and spent money on a 2014 YZ450F... Could've used the money on the bronco but I like to have fun too lol. Plus, I just ordered more engine parts for it. So, it should be starting to move along at a moderate pace.

Cobra, those pesky neighbors ruining your plans But it sounds like it'd be a fun project once you're able to start the build! I've definitely had a lot of fun already on mine lol. And thanks man!

Quote:
post #95 of 197 (permalink) Old 04-23-2016, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Also, decided 4 link front and rear is the route I'm going to go. Build a small subframe in the senter to connect the link to and it should be able to clear the crossmember at full compression. I'll find out for sure once the engine, trans, and t-case are done, but I know of a bronco that did it that way and was able to do the double triangulated 4 links front and rear.. I'll just have to play with angle though.

And I found new 2" Fox triple rate coilovers with whatever spring rates I choose for $1200. 18" of travel (If I decide that large) and that for all 4 coilovers. STILL gotta find my front axle though unfortunately.

Quote:
post #96 of 197 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 01:20 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Some stuff showed up and had to get a woodruff key that fit.. had to work today on my day off so I didn't get much done. And sorry about the crappy quality on the pics, my phone is starting to crap out. So I might have to start using the gopro..

Quote:
post #97 of 197 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 02:06 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Well, went and got a new engine stand, just might have to modify it to support the front of the engine. Seems to be leaning to the front.. anyways, here's some more pics and ignore the mess in the garage/shed. Had a ton of stuff thrown in there because of new carpet and things going on in the house.

Quote:
post #98 of 197 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 09:00 AM

Bronco Info: 90' 351/E40D 38" tires, 4.88 gears, full float 8.8, lockers F&R
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88LiftdBronco View Post
Can anyone see the problem in this pic?

You might have this all fixed by now, but you could take a look at this thread.

Another 1356 T-Case issue to look out for

Check out my "Molasses Project"http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=197652
post #99 of 197 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 10:23 AM
Beach bumming it ........

Bronco Info: 91 Bronco 351W E4OD, 6" lift, 35 12.50 Procomp MT2 on 10" wide wheels, Sliders, and custom bumpers
Garage
post #100 of 197 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by helirich View Post
You might have this all fixed by now, but you could take a look at this thread.

Another 1356 T-Case issue to look out for
well shit.. that explains a lot.. I guess its time to modify my tcase or look into a different one

but thanks for the heads up.

Quote:

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 78 - 96 Build Forum....Builds only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode