28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #161 of 212 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 07:45 AM
Redneck Engineer

Bronco Info: 79 Bronco Ranger XLT C6 35's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #162 of 212 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1988 Bronco Custom, 306 5.0L I6, ZF5 Manual, and the rest is under construction
Garage
It is definitely tough to cope with. She was loved by everyone that's been around her. It was almost like a memorial type ceremony last night. The whole family showed up to the house and were mourning for her. The puppies she had have mostly stayed in the family and so everyone brought them over. It was a nice gesture from everyone but it still not the same. Last night was rough. Let Flo stay in the bed finally and it wasn't right to me. I couldn't sleep and when I finally did pass out, I would feel her move. I'd wake up thinking it was just a bad dream but it wasn't Hooch. I've been exhausted all day at work because of the lack of sleep, but her newest collar is now hanging in my toolbox. Her old collar that she's had for about 4 years is laying in front of my bedroom tv until the Bronco is done, then it will be permanently located somewhere near the passenger seat so she will always be riding passenger in there. It's the least I could do for her. Hopefully tonight gets better.

On another note, I made a promise to pick up the mode fork to the owner of gearworks and still followed though. So the mode fork is here so the tcase can be put back together now. Still no motivation to do it, but I'll have it done by the end of the week. Also, I had to go do a drug test for Ford today since the place wasn't open after work on Saturday. I should hear back before the end of the week.

That's about all I got. But I'm going to try and get rest.. this headache sucks...

1988 Bronco Custom, 306 5.0L I6, ZF5 Manual, and the rest is under construction

Quote:
They're like the Chuck Norris of engines.
post #163 of 212 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 08:55 AM

Bronco Info: 90' 351/E40D 38" tires, 4.88 gears, full float 8.8, lockers F&R
Sad news. It sucks. It gets easier with time. Working on the Bronco is good therapy. (I'm serious)

On the T-case, I have always "primed" the pump before installation. I would chuck the shaft in the lathe and the hose in a cup of tranny fluid. It seems to take a long time to suck any up. So now I pour the fluid in through a funnel while slowly spinning the shaft. If you do it this way, you don't really need a lathe. Once it's primed it pumps like crazy. I often wonder if they don't prime fast enough when people don't do this. Don't know what Ford says about it.

Check out my "Molasses Project"http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=197652

post #164 of 212 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1988 Bronco Custom, 306 5.0L I6, ZF5 Manual, and the rest is under construction
Garage
Alright, got the tcase all the way together, but the seals for the outputs are being an ass. they lack maybe an 1/8" of being seated. and I completely forgot with yoke was for the front and which was the rear. One has a little taller body than the other. Any info on those?

Also, the transmission races in the case are being a pain. Nailed one of themn about 20+ times with a 3 jaw race puller and slide hammer and the damn thing just would not budge. I removed 2 of the 4 races and haven't tried the 2 needle bearings. the main race with the shims looks like there's no way to get under it. So, I'm kinda stuck at the moment.

I'll post the pics of the tcase when I get home.

Quote:
post #165 of 212 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Sorry, I'm a few days late. Kinda went out to get my mind of everything.

Pics...

I also got some news.. Got a call from Ford today and they got the all clear/go ahead to hire me. Drug test came back clean (better have lol) and their insurance company is going to cover me with the Gallant fuel rail accident a few years back on my record. So I talked with my current boss and worked it out so that my last day is the last day of next pay period. gives me a full paycheck, time for him to look for a replacement, and time for me to train people in my area more because they're clueless on wtf is going on.. even on simple things.. So, I got everything straightened out and I'm making my way to a better career. Hopefully I can get the training started quick and get on with becoming a master tech. (not to mention get the bronco back sooner!!!)

Quote:
post #166 of 212 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 01:16 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Ok, haven't updated in a few months.. I got the job through Ford and I'm doing great there. Have my training already going, just waiting for the next class in Portland which will be a 4 day course, then the next class after that is another 4 days, so on and so forth.. all expenses paid and rental car provided. Central Oregon has been hammered with snow for quite awhile so it made it difficult to get out to the shop and continue but it's all clear now. Decided it's best that I take that time to get other things taken care of and get rested (as best I can) to continue with the rebuild. I have more parts on their way (should be here Monday), picking up some parts after work tomorrow, and getting some pushrods made Monday since it's my day off.

I decided to scrap the idea for the Sterling 10.25 rear.. Found a set of complete 04 (?) superduty axles for $1000 which is about $400 cheaper than I can find the pre99 Dana 60 for. I'm looking at an hx35 turbo from the 6BT for the extra power and made a good connection with Performance Authority here in Bend (it's a diesel performance shop, but the owner has set me up with a ton of good information, the SD axles, and tuning/fuel management). Tomorrow I'm going to bring my transmission case into Ford and the transmission expert there is going to get the pesky main shaft (input/output) races removed since I have struggled with them without having the proper tool/puller for them. He's an older guy that fully rebuilt a 92-96 bronco with a built E4OD and is beautiful inside and out. So hopefully next week I can have the trans back together and married to the tcase if everything goes accordingly.

Looking at the front axle on the superduty, it has the "4 link" radius arm that has the mounts built into the housing. So my concern is just making sure that upon removing that mount, it won't remove any durability or strength. Just making sure before shelling out the money for it just to find out my plans won't work or will cause them to be weakened. I'm wanting a full "proper" double triangulated 4 link front and rear by setting up the sub frame and extending the wheelbase to around 110"... but everything I've seen for the superduty 4 links have been just parallel setup as the radius arm.. anyways, any input from anyone because I keep losing train of thought (long day at work).

Oh well, I'll be posting stuff as it happens so it might be spotty on updates and on how/what work is going.

Quote:
post #167 of 212 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Got the hardened pushrods made today and set in place, the distributor and intermediate shaft in place, but the fuel pump block off plate doesn't work.. well, the bolts don't. So I'm going to get new bolts for that and a few other things and it'll be bolted together. need new bolts for the inspection cover because for some reason I can't find those. There seems to be an issue with the valve cover though. I don't have the roller rockers bolted down all the way because I must've taken all my allen wrenches to work for some reason, but right now, the valve cover won't sit all the way down on the head. I might need to modify it to sit a little taller or buy a new one that's a little taller. Idk at this moment until I can bolt the rockers down the rest of the way.

The transmission case is still at work right now. I dropped it off and gotta talk to him again tomorrow about taking out those 2 races. so whenever he has a free moment it'll be there waiting. Got a few more parts to look up tonight then I'm heading to bed.

Quote:
post #168 of 212 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 12:44 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Good news and bad news..

First the good news is that I got the new bolts, got the fuel pump block off bolted on, inspection cover is on (not bolted down fully), distributor is dropped in (not bolted down), and I got the rockers set to run before final adjustment.

and now the bad news..

The with the rockers on and bolted down, the valve cover still sits about an inch off the head.. So I either need to source out a taller valve cover or modify this one and add some height to it. I'd rather just buy one, but I will do what I need to to seal this thing up.

and the other bad news is just needing to touch up paint in certain spots, but can't do anything about it when the temp won't get over 50-60* during the day and by the time I get home, it's around 40* or less..

If anyone knows of a source for the valve cover it'd be awesome. Still waiting for the transmission case to get done since it's been crazy at work so far this week but seeing how it's not a customer or something that is of dire importance, I don't want to pester him. Again, I'll update this as stuff gets done.
92BroncoXLT and disturbio like this.

Quote:
post #169 of 212 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Garage
So just a quick update, I haven't been able to source a new valve cover to fit over the rockers, I got some adjustable guide plates on the way from Comp cams, and the transmission case is still at work. The guy worked on the case for an hour and a half and couldn't get the races to budge, so the shop is sending it to a transmission shop and getting them pulled that way. I got a deal worked out with performance authority for the SD axles and by the time I have the drivetrain finished, I can pick up the axles and start getting them mounted. Just a few things I gotta get figured out on the engine then I can drop it off the stand
disturbio likes this.
post #170 of 212 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Guide plates should be here Wednesday, the transmission case SHOULD be done next week, and here in a minute I'll be looking at buying another bronco. It's an 89 with a 300 and an auto (c6 I'm assuming). Has a blown head gasket which is stupid simple to replace and has brand new tires and wheels. Plan for the other one is to fix it, drive it (maybe), and then flip it. It's in pretty good condition from the looks of it in the pics, but I'll post pics after I look at it. The kid wants $800 to pay for the tires and wheels but I'm still going to try and talk him down some seeing how it's been for sale for awhile and no one has messaged him about it. Could be a good deal, but we'll see.
post #171 of 212 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well, I ended up with another horse in the stable. It ain't the prettiest, but it runs and drives but not too far. Needs a head gasket, valve cover gasket, looks like a new gasket for the thermostat, and some odds and ends to make it a good reliable rig. Brand new tires on it, fires up first crank, and idles smooth. Bought it for $750 title in hand.

Saltlife and mrbollero like this.

Quote:
post #172 of 212 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 04:33 PM

Bronco Info: 1979 Custom 351m
Garage
Wow, great find! Not bad looking at all. Those tires are worth that alone.

Keep up the good work on the project!

1979 Bronco Custom stock 351m, 33x10.5 BFG tires, Monstaliner paint job, work in progress!
Rusty Custom Build
post #173 of 212 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 02:00 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Well, got a gasket kit through work and new thermostat for $57 for the new bronco and started the teardown. Only have to disconnect the fuel lines, unbolt the intake and exhaust manifolds and the head is ready to come off. Was wanting to finish it today but family stopped by and got distracted for a few hours. Found the plenum gasket was destroyed, the throttle body gasket was bad, found a couple spark plugs loose, the thermostat housing gasket was pretty much non existent, and was very low on coolant (pulled the housing and was surprised no coolant came out). Still ran like a champ with all that wrong. Once everything is back together, I'm doing a coolant service (with cleaners), oil change to get rid of the mixed oil, spark plugs and wires (couple of the wires were bad), and alignment. Then I'll throw it up for sale... But I did discuss with Shelby about it and if it doesn't sell the first month, it'll be the new platform for a prerunner. So who knows... I'll post the pics in a minute. And while I was working on the engine, she started cleaning the inside and started to polish the outside. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to start the bronco and see if it leaks lol but I do need to replace a couple brittle vacuum lines. I'll post pics in a minute
post #174 of 212 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage

79BroncoSpringTx likes this.

Quote:
post #175 of 212 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 01:13 PM
Foolsize Member

Bronco Info: They multiply when I'm not looking.
I started following you in Instagram a few weeks back so im seeing all these updates twice

Looking good, and im partial to the 300/M5OD combo anyway. I've never cracked open a manual, it looks just as scary as I imagined.

Dylan

1992 XLT 300/M5OD
1978 Custom 351M/C6
1991 XLT 351W/Blown Up E4OD
post #176 of 212 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
lmao nice! so you've already seen the guide plates I got from Comp lol As far as the trans, if it's anything like the ZF, it's easy as hell (unless the races don't come out lol)

Quote:
post #177 of 212 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 06:47 PM

It ain't gonna work! Gimme those tires off Sparta as a result...
post #178 of 212 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Tim.....no. buy the axles, tires, and lift and you can take it lmao
post #179 of 212 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 01:12 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Well, got a few things done.. the weather has been a real pain to try and work in but the second bronco is coming together. Got the head off and found something interesting....

The head gasket broke down and was allowing coolant to pour into the #6 cylinder. Got it all cleaned out and got the new head gasket and head on but again, weather turned to sh**.. planning to have it all together on saturday/sunday and then I can start the coolant flush/oil change process. Hopefully everything is golden after that...

As far as Sparta goes... I owe $600 left on the superduty axles (paying payments on them) and I'll be talking to the guy at work and see wtf is going on with the trans case... if there's no update, I'm going to end up taking it elsewhere because it's getting to the point I'll need it to mock stuff up.. The engine I've had no luck sourcing a different valve cover so I guess I'll just have to modify and hope it works out. Haven't had a chance to install the guide plates either.. Kinda getting pulled in all directions right now.

And with work.... I've been getting hammered with the tire season and the other guy in my area constantly being gone or slow AF, but it has helped my check.. which didn't help my toolbox. ended up getting some more tools today and realized "shit.. I have nowhere to put these".. So worked out a deal with the tool truck for a bigger box and only pay $1000 for quite a bit bigger box after trading in the one I just bought in January. $50/week until it's paid off which is what I was paying him already with the tools I have on the account. So pretty much I'm getting a bigger box without noticing it too bad in my pocket. It gets dropped off in the morning.

Anyways, that's about all I have as far as updates...

Quote:
post #180 of 212 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Talked to him last week about the case and he started by saying he refused to touch it... Could've told me that a few weeks ago, but I thanked him for taking a look at it anyways. Took it to my main trans place and it took him about an hour and they were out. Ran a weld around the race and they came right out. Could've done it at home but oh well. Now the trans is ready to be put back together. The other bronco is most of the way back together. Fought for too long with the manifolds and it got dark and cold. Oh well, now it's just quicker bolt together stuff.

But I'm debating suspension... Stick with triple rate coilovers, sway bars, and bump stops which will support the added weight and articulate like I want or go with Ori struts which don't need a sway bar or bump stops but I don't think they can handle all the weight and most likely won't articulate like I want... Idk most likely going to stay with my original plan but just looking? for opinions I guess

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 78 - 96 Build Forum....Builds only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode