Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

FDude's 78 Ranger XLT

44K views 343 replies 52 participants last post by  WeedWhackerDood 
#1 ·
So I picked up a 1978 Ford Bronco Ranger XLT recently. Was in real nice cosmetic condition and pretty solid mechanically. My mechanic went through it and the usual suspects - replace bushings, tune up, change filters, change plugs, change wires, change hoses, replace seals and ball joints, etc. Standard fare for a 78.

But ... as I started researching Broncos and parts ... I got deeper into my truck and the scope creep began ...

I have been reading this and other forums, trying to digest as much as I can, as my mechanical background is pretty shallow, but I'm looking to change that and use this truck as my learning model.

Here are a couple of pics of it as I picked it up.

and

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks guys. Yeah it was pretty clean when I got it. I've already replaced some of the emblems on the body and have the parts to replace a lot of the trim inside - handles, latches, armrests, glovebox, etc. Some minor pitting items being replaced with new items. Saving the original items, bag and tag.

This pic was snapped driving it home the day I bought it.

This pic was snapped out in the woods where a lot of time is spent playing.

#8 ·
nice looking rig, like how they matched the spare carrier the body. i personally wouldnt take one that nice into the woods or to play in the mud... but thats just me.

#10 ·
Thanks again for the compliments. Truck is still in the shop getting worked over. Talk about scope creep ... went in for a tune up and some odds and ends, morphed into dual batteries, high amp alternator, new parts everywhere, 4" lift, and .... drum roll ... now taking the cab off the frame and going to have the frame cleaned and powder coated. More on that later.

It looks good, and it ran good. Say ran cuz it's been in the shop the past 3 weeks. Will, or should, run and handle a lot better.

I don't plan on boggin, but I do plan on taking it off the concrete jungle and back into the woods. Gonna be used for camping, fishing, tracking, etc.

I will try to get some interior pictures posted.

#13 ·
Well, F......Dude!!! Nice rig! We have the same Bronco, basically. Both Ranger XLT with the same interior. Mines red but has the Free Wheelin pkg.

Going in to the shop for odds and ends and ending up powder coating the frame?! Ha! You're my hero. It wouldn't matter if I had balls big enough to do that because my wife would chop 'em off.

Can't wait to see more of your build. Congrats on your truly special Bronco.

#14 ·
Thanks for the compliment!

Ya know it was gonna run me a fair bit (in my eyes) to have the body mount bushings changed, and that was about 1/3 of what it would run to have the frame sent over to be soda cleaned and powder coated (and have the body bushings changed when putting it all back together). I had asked my mechanic is there anything that we can do to justify the expense for the body bushings swap ... and that lead to the send the frame over for renewal. LOL So my new wheels/tires are gonna wait because it only makes sense to me to have the frame done and the underside done while swapping body bushings.

#16 ·
I agree with everyone.. Super Clean truck. I really like it. Nice score, you did well

#18 ·
Thanks everyone. Honestly it shows better in person than in pics online. Has a real nice paint job and the interior is gorgeous 78 interior. It now boasts a crapton of new parts, some just new to replace old and others upgrades, sits on a new 4" lift, and next week will be broken down again to be stripped, cleaned, and powder coated. I couldn't justify the cost of replacing body bushings and nothing else; so the frame clean and coat justifies it. :)

#21 ·
Here is the engine as I got it minus the yellow top Optima battery I installed in place of the battery that came with it when I bought it.

Parts in this pic that I marked for replacement;
- radiator
- power steering pump & reservoir
- master brake cylinder
- spark plugs and wires
- belts & hoses
- valve covers

#23 · (Edited)
Week 1 Progress continued:
+ Redtop Optima primary battery
+ Moved Yellowtop Optima battery to auxiliary battery
+ Coolant overflow reservoir
+ Saginaw/Delphi Power Steering Kit

and

The old power steering:

and new Saginaw/Delphi power steering kit

#25 ·
+ Repainted stock oil pan
+ Replaced oil filter with K&N Oil Filter
+ Replaced air filter with K&N Air Filter
+ Left Eye Blind Racing 240 Amp alternator

Old fuel pump and original condition of oil pan:

New alternator, repainted oil pan, new fuel pump, new K&N oil filter, and new Saginaw/Delphi power steering kit all visible:

#27 ·
+ B&M aluminum 35-plate Transmission Supercooler
+ NOS Ford E-350 48-plate cooler to be used as power steering cooler

Old original tranny cooler to be removed:

New B&M Supercooler:

And NOS Ford power steering cooler:

#28 ·
So Week 1 consisted of removing a lot of old parts and installing a lot of new parts. My mechanic thought he was doing a routine tune-up and a couple other odds and ends ... Only to see the back of my Bronco full of bins container a ton of parts. Scope creep ...

#29 ·
Week 2 Progress:
+ Stripped front axle to be rebuilt
+ 25 gallon polyethylene gas tank, tank straps, sending unit, hoses, etc.

Ready to be cleaned, lubed, painted, & rebuilt:

Old gas tank:

New gas tank and straps (& sending unit, hoses, etc.):

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.