Sloppy's foolish build. - Page 4 - Ford Bronco Forum
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1990 Foolish Bronco. 302/5 speed, ex forest service, work in progress
Quote:
Originally Posted by greasemonger View Post
Ha I had one of those for 6mo once upon a time. If its still in there someone is in some good trouble, although I DID hear of one story about one that was spouse required as opposed to state ordered.
its naughty on his end and it explains why the column is so cut up, he wanted to go get another dui so he cut up the column to where he could manually move the ignition switch and ran 2 wires to the starter solenoid, and off he went to jail and off with the bronco to impound. its ok, sloppy likes me better

1990 Foolish Bronco
Ex Forest Service
302/5 Speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 04:08 PM

ugg, I can only imagine the wiring nightmare that is going to be the column and under the dash. Best of luck.
post #63 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1990 Foolish Bronco. 302/5 speed, ex forest service, work in progress
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustange70 View Post
ugg, I can only imagine the wiring nightmare that is going to be the column and under the dash. Best of luck.
yeah, its a mess under there, I'm going to resplice the connections where the breathalyzer was and call it good, if it starts developing gremlins I'll replace the harness.

1990 Foolish Bronco
Ex Forest Service
302/5 Speed

post #64 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 02:18 PM

Bronco Info: 1979 Custom 351m
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by greasemonger View Post
Ha I had one of those for 6mo once upon a time. If its still in there someone is in some good trouble, although I DID hear of one story about one that was spouse required as opposed to state ordered.
Can't say I've ever heard of that. Smart woman.
Proves you can never completely know what you're getting yourself into until its yours...

1979 Bronco Custom stock 351m, 33x10.5 BFG tires, Monstaliner paint job, work in progress!
Rusty Custom Build
post #65 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 02:43 PM

Bronco Info: 1991 Bronco XLT
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by foolish_mortal View Post
I was working on installing new hubs and mounting my new tires when I saw something perplexing. Why would it have those little supports on the coil spring?
You should remove that trash immediately. That is a cheap "lift kit". They space the springs to make the truck ride higher, or lower if you turn them the other way.

Super dangerous.
post #66 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Well, the Bronco didn't make Silverton CO like I was trying too :( I took my Isuzu instead
Power Steering box leaks like crazy, still need to finish the rear brakes (I HATE DRUM BRAKES), u joints of the driveshaft, remove and sell that big over weight front bumper, buy some 31's for my AR-31's repair the wiring under the dash, repair the speedo, and new shift knobs :p

I have some photos from the trip, but seeing as how theirs no bronco don't think it right to post them.

1990 Foolish Bronco
Ex Forest Service
302/5 Speed
post #67 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 03:08 PM

Bronco Info: '79 Custom
It's your thread, do what you want!

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

1995 BMW 540i
'79 SHTF Daily Build
1997 Toyota 4Runner (locked)
post #68 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 02:01 AM Thread Starter

Some pictures can be found here
My first 4wd.

1990 Foolish Bronco
Ex Forest Service
302/5 Speed
post #69 of 89 (permalink) Old 10-08-2016, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Saving for a new steering gear, the one thats on it started leaking shortly after the new steering pump (and severe) rather than a junkyard or a vatozone rebuild I'm trying to save my pennies for this
https://www.redheadsteeringgears.com...olt-top-cover/

1990 Foolish Bronco
Ex Forest Service
302/5 Speed
post #70 of 89 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Replaced parking brake cables, which turned into replacing parking brake cables, axle seals, axle bearings, brake shoes, oh and the little bolt that holds the cross pin in? that bitch snapped deep inside the housing. Long story short, it has a parking brake and non leaky axles now.
Also put on the rear KM2's
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bronconnewtires.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	91593  

1990 Foolish Bronco
Ex Forest Service
302/5 Speed
post #71 of 89 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 03:30 AM

Bronco Info: 1990 Eddie Bauer, 5.8L 351 Windsor, E4OD, MM jump out and spin 'em hubs, Brand new BF-Goods
Garage
That's a solid Bronco you've got there. I'll definitely have to pick your brain sometime about bending wrenches on these 90's, they're a lot of fun.

Have you played around at all with any of the wiring harness, besides that yahoo's breathalyzer? That hole where the ignition cylinder should be made me cringe! haha. Good to hear you had it replaced.

Also saw your thread on the Isuzu, that pass you posted in September is gorgeous.

Your cab also looks like god himself could eat off of it.

--Somebody's gotcha with muffler bearings and blinker fluid at least once in your life.--

Last edited by SwissCheeseEddie; 12-13-2016 at 03:32 AM. Reason: Jealousy for lack of rust on most cab panels
post #72 of 89 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissCheeseEddie View Post
That's a solid Bronco you've got there. I'll definitely have to pick your brain sometime about bending wrenches on these 90's, they're a lot of fun.

Have you played around at all with any of the wiring harness, besides that yahoo's breathalyzer? That hole where the ignition cylinder should be made me cringe! haha. Good to hear you had it replaced.

Also saw your thread on the Isuzu, that pass you posted in September is gorgeous.

Your cab also looks like god himself could eat off of it.
I'm deff no guru, but I've spent some time wrenching on them and if I can help someone out I will.

I haven't done anything other than splicing some wires back together wiring wise, I know people say these older fords are an electrical nightmare but I haven't had electrical issues with either the bronco or my 89 F150. Haven't got the new column in, that is next on the agenda, then I'll put a stock bumper on it for the time being and get it registered, I'm excited!

The Silverton CO area is amazing, not sure what part of utah you live in but you may not be too far from it, its worth the drive! I think Bronco would have a hard time keeping up with the little isuzu on those goat trails

what rust I do have, I'll deal with later, I'm going to build bumpers and body protection before I deal with it
SwissCheeseEddie likes this.

1990 Foolish Bronco
Ex Forest Service
302/5 Speed
post #73 of 89 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 10:37 PM

Bronco Info: 1990 Eddie Bauer, 5.8L 351 Windsor, E4OD, MM jump out and spin 'em hubs, Brand new BF-Goods
Garage
Quote:
I'm deff no guru, but I've spent some time wrenching on them and if I can help someone out I will.

I haven't done anything other than splicing some wires back together wiring wise, I know people say these older fords are an electrical nightmare but I haven't had electrical issues with either the bronco or my 89 F150. Haven't got the new column in, that is next on the agenda, then I'll put a stock bumper on it for the time being and get it registered, I'm excited!

The Silverton CO area is amazing, not sure what part of utah you live in but you may not be too far from it, its worth the drive! I think Bronco would have a hard time keeping up with the little isuzu on those goat trails

what rust I do have, I'll deal with later, I'm going to build bumpers and body protection before I deal with it

I've been having issues trying to get my reverse lights to work (If 90's even come with them), and some little things here and there that were covered up with a new alternator this last summer. There's also two connectors flopping around where a passenger kick panel ought to be, that I have no idea where they should connect to.
Careful with your stock bumper, don't pull a me and hit a side rail trying to show off for my roommates!
You're about 260 miles southeast of me, I'm up by Utah Lake
Colorado is a beautiful state, but I've never done much venturing outside of Lakewood when I lived there briefly as a kiddo.

--Somebody's gotcha with muffler bearings and blinker fluid at least once in your life.--
post #74 of 89 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I've been having issues trying to get my reverse lights to work (If 90's even come with them), and some little things here and there that were covered up with a new alternator this last summer. There's also two connectors flopping around where a passenger kick panel ought to be, that I have no idea where they should connect to.
Careful with your stock bumper, don't pull a me and hit a side rail trying to show off for my roommates!
You're about 260 miles southeast of me, I'm up by Utah Lake
Colorado is a beautiful state, but I've never done much venturing outside of Lakewood when I lived there briefly as a kiddo.
should deff have back up lights, it only needs 2 things to work, power and ground, I know it sucks but grab your test light and test for both, I'm not sure what style socket ford used back there, but I have seen certain styles wear out to where they no longer make solid contact with the bulb.

I have a hard time not doing things that lets the bronco sound cool since its currently a down turn right after the cats, but I don't do anything too radical :)

I'm headed to Moab in March, being from Utah you've probably been, but if you haven't, GO!

1990 Foolish Bronco
Ex Forest Service
302/5 Speed
post #75 of 89 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 12:50 AM

Garage
Quote:
should deff have back up lights, it only needs 2 things to work, power and ground, I know it sucks but grab your test light and test for both, I'm not sure what style socket ford used back there, but I have seen certain styles wear out to where they no longer make solid contact with the bulb.
. . .
I'm headed to Moab in March, being from Utah you've probably been, but if you haven't, GO!
Thanks! Sounds like I need to make a run to the parts store to get a test light, or badger the family. I don't have one but my dad probably does, I do have a multi-meter though.
I plan on wheeling with people over the summer, when I get out of school in April. Wish I could go play in the sand sooner.

post #76 of 89 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 01:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Thanks! Sounds like I need to make a run to the parts store to get a test light, or badger the family. I don't have one but my dad probably does, I do have a multi-meter though.
I plan on wheeling with people over the summer, when I get out of school in April. Wish I could go play in the sand sooner.
I doubt that you would lose ground at both lights or burn up both bulbs at the exact same time, I would check for power at the lights and work your way forward, the switch is a potential culprit.

1990 Foolish Bronco
Ex Forest Service
302/5 Speed
post #77 of 89 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Today I hit a mini milestone in sloppys path back to the open road, I put the front driveshaft back in and made sure the 4wd worked, I then proceeded to play around in the hills behind my house, and for the first time I didn't care about the ugly wheels the previous owner put on it.
92BroncoXLT likes this.

1990 Foolish Bronco
Ex Forest Service
302/5 Speed
post #78 of 89 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Getting really close to being a streetable vehicle again!
This weekend I repair wiring under the dash and rigged up the radio and amplifier properly (amp was already there, I put in my own head unit), after fixing the wiring under dash it starts without having to jump across the solenoid now, I had installed a bwb solenoid from pep boys yesterday, and this morning when I went to work on the wiring it got stuck wide open, not even 24 hours of use :O put a used motorcraft I had laying around on it and all is well again. The last thing I need to fix before I register it is fix the speedo, I have the drive and driven gear on the dash, hoping thats what it is and not the cable.

1990 Foolish Bronco
Ex Forest Service
302/5 Speed
post #79 of 89 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

This weekend I hope to replace the speedo gears and hopefully that fixes the speedo
I also ordered an aussie locker for the rear :)

1990 Foolish Bronco
Ex Forest Service
302/5 Speed
post #80 of 89 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

The santa in the brown truck visited again :popcorn:
offroadgearhead likes this.

1990 Foolish Bronco
Ex Forest Service
302/5 Speed

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 78 - 96 Build Forum....Builds only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode