Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Peacemaker Build

4K views 31 replies 10 participants last post by  Peacemaker94 
#1 ·
Well everyone its time again for another thread and to put good ol' Peacemaker back in the spotlight.

As you know i did a Solid axle swap and its been a slow and steady project for a while. As soon as it was almost done and back on the road again the E4OD went out on me, That's why there are no trail photos or street shots yet... SO i decided to go for it and do the ZF5 swap.

Ordered all the parts from Rockauto and walked home to them today. I live in Charleston, SC now and Peace is in Richmond so it will be a little slow but it aint over yet. :thumbup

motor plate is on its way and still need the clutch pedal assembly.

Anything i need to know fellas?

See less See more
#3 ·
Well still getting together parts for the swap. I just ordered the clutch pedal assembly. just a few more to go but now i have to wait longer since there is a blizzard where my truck is. Figured im gonna use this amp and finally do what i said i never was and put subs in the back. Lots coming but you know me a slow process..

#6 ·
Still waiting on the clutch pedal assembly i ordered off Ebay. Still grabbing some parts. I went by the junkyard the other day after i called them and they said they didnt have it. I guess the guy who owns the place was there and got pissed at his people for almost sending me away when he had the part there. He walked me all the way back and viola, FINALLY found the pan i was looking for.

Question. does the BW1356 manual shift come through the same Unboltable pan where the transmission shifter does. or does it go through the floorboard more to the left? if it does than ill just cut my own hole im not going through that search again.

#9 ·
Well my clutch pedal assembly came in today. The guy cleaned it and everything :thumbup. I am gonna get some more "pedal pads" fir it tonight and than keep reading and scanning for more stuff i need for this. im getting close to having everything.

So far I have...

Clutch
Clutch Pedal Assembly
Flywheel
Slave Cylinder
Hydraulic Hose (Master to Slave)
Master Cylinder
Clutch Safety Switch
Rear Main Seal (I'm gonna be in there I might as well)
Manual Motor Plate
Manual Starter
Manual Shift Floorboard Center Piece

cant think of anything else rite now, let me know if I'm missing something.

#10 ·
Well im on the hunt for the ZF linkage to a (manual) BW1356. Apparently hard to find. Last time I popped Peace in 4x4 i heard a bunch of grinding coming from the transfer case so im pretty sure its toast. Im gonna see about rebuilding my own since there is allot of good info on here. Plus i heard you dont need any expensive special tools so what the hell, ill try it.

#11 ·
Well I have a question for the engine gurus out there...

I have been building a engine (machining/prepping) to drop in Peacemaker when the engine in him takes a dump... I have looked around and have been wondering for a while what I'm gonna do. I wanna keep this simple and not go radical... TO radical...

I was planning to just to a basic refresh but than i felt i wanted a little extra torque out of the engine since 302s are known to be high RPM screamers. NO i am not swapping to a 351 like everyone does i love my little 302 and ive already done all the machine work so im sticking to it. I was thinking maybe a 331 stroker kit from Late Model Restoration https://lmr.com/item/SCA-194055/Scat-Mustang-331-Stroker-Kit-82-95-Flat-Top-Piston-I-Beam-Ro...

My question is in the notes of the Stroker kit it said supply your own balancer and flywheel/flexplate. Well i am doing a ZF swap now and i believe in 81 or 85 they swapped from 28oz to 50oz. So i know my Bronco is a 50oz set up. Cant i just buy my own balancer to put on there and be good to go or not? Cause it also states that it is to be used with a 28oz setup? I know that will not work.

94 Bronco XLT and it has Mass Air so i dont need to change any of that.

#13 ·
Went ahead and ordered my shifter today for the ZF... Dang I did not know it would be this much for some odds and ends on these things. BUT I would rather pay it now than later with another E4OD grenading on me...

Question... im swapping to a manual shift BW1356 and the ZF. Is the linkage different from the BW1356/ZF than a BW1356/M5OD? I know its different from the BW1356/E4OD.

So can I go to a pick and pull find a Manual/Manual Bronco/F150/250/350 and pull the linkage and be good? or is the linkage specific on the ZF than the M5OD?

#16 ·
Well had a productive weekend. I made a trip to see CWBronco and got some parts off him. I grabbed his manual shift BW1356, half doors, trac bar and mount. and got the E40D out. Its not completely done cause the cross member is in the way of the transfer case and now i need to redesign it again! :banghead. I didnt get to the wiring part of the swap so ill have questions about the eventually. I thought about clocking it but than i heard about pump issues. almost there but still slow..

Swapping in the pedals.

Rain or shine we were getting it out!

Pilot bearing

new rear main

#17 ·
You will need the speed sensor for the speedometer and abs. Late model 5.0 would all be 50 oz. imbalance while all 5.8 would be 28 oz. IIRC

#21 ·
Hey fellas ive been looking everywhere for a ZF5/BW1356 shifter linkage mount (the steel plate the linkage bolts to on the ZF, and also the Bar that connects the two since the E4OD one is longer i believe. I saw somewhere on here i think someone made one but i cant remember the thread.

#22 ·
Its been a while in the FSB world so i figured id stop in and give yall an update. I have been working my A$$ off to push forward on this thing with my hectic schedule and im getting close.

Here what ive been up to.

RuffTuff DOM and their crossmember mounting kit.

The old crossmember didnt work with the new ZF tucked under there. It moved forward and came into contact and i was so fed up with it i decided to design my own.

PS: before any ridicule comes (yes i plan on putting gussets on the main mounting point for the tranny on the Xmember)

Im headed out there today to go ahead and install this harness and some other things ive been meaning to get done. ill keep yall posted!:thumbup

#23 ·
Does anyone know the length that this shifter rod has to be from eyelid to eyelid on the ZF? I have checked around but cant find anything. Im pretty sure somewhere i read its shorter for the ZF/BW and i know for a fact that this one is from a E4OD/BW. If any one could help it would be awesome. I need to trim this thing down.

#24 ·
Well i got a little productive and hit the junkyard over the weekend. I found a manual collar for the steering column so i was happy about that. My buddy has been lookin' forever and still cant find one. Found it on the first door i opened:goodfinge... my main reason of going was to try and find this shifter rod cause there was actually a 4x4 manual (ZF5) 4.9 mated to a manual shift BW1356. Of course nothing of use was still attached (engine, tranny, T-case) to the truck. So after swimming through the mud for nothing i found another E4OD shifter rod home and decided what the hell, Its a simple plate of steel ill make this work.

I looked on a few forums and people were saying the shift rods were shorter and ran around 4 5/16". I made one that size using steel i had laying around and it was wayy to short.. So i decided screw it ill mount the shifter put it in neutral and measure from eyelid to eyelid.

The collar

I believe this is neutral?... lets hope :thumbup

#27 ·
This weekend I went ahead and got everything i could buttoned up and wanted to try and get Peacemaker started again for the winter coming up. I wanted to get the fluids through it so i got the oil changed, changed the fuel filter, put a new battery in it, and TRIED to bleed the infamous ZF5 Clutch with no luck...

After that I went to the junkyard and found a 1994 E-150 van with a 302 and what i believe is a saginaw pump and bracket with hoses so i ripped it all off.

I have a question though. i heard that brackets might be different so i believe its good since it came off a 1994. Now can i keep the pulley or do i have to swap it for the one on my old pump? I know i need the high pressure hose and the belt i think will be longer.

After that i forgot i didnt have pedal pads so instead of buying some i went ahead and got some 3M grip tape. No more feet sliding off these pedals! I am very glad i went this route.. :thumbup

Seriously anyone who is doing a ZF swap should try and find the correct harness cause it fired rite up with no hesitation and you didnt have to jump wires or cut into existing electrical.:rockon

after i got the Bronco running i ended up here with idle. I just wanted to get people input if its low or not. I mean i didnt see a serious problem with it but i think i remember people in older ZF swap threads were saying that they were having a lower idle. i believe my old idle was around 850rpm

#28 ·
This weekend I went ahead and got everything i could buttoned up and wanted to try and get Peacemaker started again for the winter coming up. I wanted to get the fluids through it so i got the oil changed, changed the fuel filter, put a new battery in it, and TRIED to bleed the infamous ZF5 Clutch with no luck...

After that I went to the junkyard and found a 1994 E-150 van with a 302 and what i believe is a saginaw pump and bracket with hoses so i ripped it all off.

I have a question though. i heard that brackets might be different so i believe its good since it came off a 1994. Now can i keep the pulley or do i have to swap it for the one on my old pump? I know i need the high pressure hose and the belt i think will be longer.
If you are going from a C2 pump to the sag the pulleys will not swap. The sag has a larger diameter shaft, thus you may need to use the pulley it came with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.