My 81's Road to Road-Worthiness - Page 3 - Ford Bronco Forum
 93Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 135 (permalink) Old 05-28-2016, 11:16 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 1978 Round headlight, 351M,C6, 9", 44/1991, 445 FE, t19, 205, Dana 60/70, MAF, Moet's
Garage
YIPPEE!!! No way I could have resisted going for a drive around the block though LOL.
SRWillis likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 135 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1981 Bronco, 4.9L, T18, NP208
Quote:
Originally Posted by 445 FE Bronco View Post
YIPPEE!!! No way I could have resisted going for a drive around the block though LOL.
I definitely thought about it, but it still needs the exhaust, air cleaner and tail light housings and lenses installed. Also, the front bumper is only on hand tight b/c I still have to put the cross pieces back in the push bar.

I did offer to take Mrs. Willis a ride around the yard, but she declined. For some reason she was not as excited as I was about it being yard drivable , but it did make her smile.
dash_cam likes this.
post #43 of 135 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

I just finished the push bar and tightened the front bumper bolts up. Installed the license plates, lubed the hood hinges and tightened the bottom hood spring bolts that had been loose for who knows how long.

I can see why many of you cut access holes in your bed floor to keep from dropping your tanks. This thing about whipped me. I think it would go better next time since I learned the fill pipe can be installed after the tank is in place after I struggled putting the hose on as I was raising the tank up in place, only to find it had come loose after I had the tank almost tightened up.

Here's a couple pics showing I have been doing a little work.

B-man, Sloride75 and dash_cam like this.

post #44 of 135 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

I got the air cleaner ass'y cleaned up and back on. Installed the cat and muffler, good enough for now. I'm gettin' pressure to put her into service doing some landscaping work around the house, so it will be sans a tailpipe for now. Got the receiver started back on, just have to tighten it back up. Installed a trailer pigtail. Put my oil breather on, but there were some not so nice looking brown stuff coming out of it when I tapped it, so I stopped and ordered one on the way to work.
disturbio likes this.
post #45 of 135 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Talking On The Road Again!

Well, finished up some of the details and took her for her maiden voyage (for me anyhow) to the gas station. Ya might know that overnight gas went from $2.35 to $2.70. I wanted to see what the calibration on the gauge is anyway, so I only put in 10 gal. I had poured in ~7 gal before, but it only shows a little over 1/4 tank... Think I'll put 10 more in and see what that gets me.

Anyway, none of the wheels fell off and it ran good. The brakes seem to work as they should, steers real easy but seems a little loose, shifts good but the linkage seems a little loose. Pretty much drives like the old truck it is. I still have the flex fan on it, but I removed the old busted shroud it came with b/c I was afraid it might come loose and wreck havoc, but the temp gauge stayed steady in the normal range.

I did find out I don't even have a needle on the speedo, but who needs it anyway. The rest of the gauges seem to be working good, so I can monitor what's happening under the hood and that's the main thing.

I was thinking about driving it to work (I'm on afternoon shift right now), then I remembered the tailights weren't working and hadn't checked them out. Found a blown 15A fuse. Replaced it with a 20A from my stash and they worked! A little bit later I found more fuses in the glove box, so I'll switch it back to the 15. So I drove it to work. I didn't get a chance to get new windshield wipers and the old ones are toast, so I think I'll drive over to the local parts place on lunch break and see about getting some put on.

While setting in the Burger King drive through waiting on my food, I tried the A/C. Nothing. Oh well, something else I don't need, right? Well, it was fun driving a stick and trying to eat; haven't done that for a while.

One thing I did do today that I didn't think I'd get to, is replace the power wire to the rear glass motor. Apparently there was a problem with the original wire and someone had ran a 16g wire. I replaced it with 12g, thinking that will be better for the motor.

There's always something to do on these old trucks, but I'm thankful to have it back on the road, seemingly without anything major needing to be done right now.

Thanks to everyone here for the help, either directly or from all the info that's been shared here in the past I've been able to learn from. I have over 70 threads in my subscription files, and I'm sure I'll be referring to them often and the list will grow.
Sloride75 likes this.
post #46 of 135 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 06:58 PM

Bronco Info: 1986 302 fuel injected 6" lift
Congrats on getting her back on the road. You sure have had your hands full.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk
SRWillis likes this.
post #47 of 135 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aintskeerd View Post
Congrats on getting her back on the road. You sure have had your hands full.
Thanks, it's been (mostly) enjoyable.

I put 10 gal more fuel in and it went to just above the 3/4 mark, so that's pretty close. Put the 15 amp fuse in and it held. Also got the new wipers, so I'm ready (I think).

One thing I miss is a cup holder. I'm spoiled, right?
445 FE Bronco likes this.
post #48 of 135 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 12:00 AM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 1978 Round headlight, 351M,C6, 9", 44/1991, 445 FE, t19, 205, Dana 60/70, MAF, Moet's
Garage
NICE! Glad you got her rolling again, you made quick work out of getting it back on the road.
SRWillis likes this.
post #49 of 135 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

After having rain water dripping on my legs while driving home after work Saturday night after a rain, I removed the visor and temporarily plugged the holes with some spot putty to to see if that takes care of the leaking. Most of the screws were not very tight. They had some kind of sealer between the visor and the truck, but it was hard and most spots were not stuck to the truck. But, then again it could be the windshield...

I put 'er to work today pulling shrubs out of the landscaping. Enjoyed that torquey 300. She did a fine job. Gotta give her a hand!

Edit: I forgot, before I put 'er to work, I re-torqued the manifold bolts.
post #50 of 135 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 12:20 AM Thread Starter

Replace the front shocks. Nothing fancy, just some Monroes. Should make a big difference though; the old ones were absolutely shot.
post #51 of 135 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

Just finished replacing the ignition lock set with a new Motorcraft unit. Now I don't have to be so concerned with leaving the doors unlocked. The old lock set didn't need a key to operate.

The new front shocks made a big difference. Now I need some new ones for the rear. I also need a new horn. Mine worked for a brief moment, but gave up the ghost.
post #52 of 135 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

Replaced the rear shocks and the right tie rod end, hoping to see a little improvement in the handling.

I bought a set of horns off ebay. They were advertised as Navistar truck horns, but they look and sound like rice burner horns, so I'm still looking.
post #53 of 135 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

Put the timing light and vacuum gauge on the motor and made adjustments to idle mixture and distributor. The exhaust had smelled a little rich and it seemed to help.

Although I don't really like them, I went ahead and mounted the horns until I get something better.
post #54 of 135 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 10:55 AM
Fullsize Member

Like what you are doing. I would like a 4 spd OD trans for my '83. Oh . . you measure resistance, you don't ohm out :)
SRWillis likes this.

1983 Bronco

Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance
post #55 of 135 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 12:52 PM

Bronco Info: 82 inline 6, holley 600, offenhauser intake, roller rockers, crane cam, 4.56 gears
Well you made quick work of this project...I've had mine for about 5 years and I haven't gotten that far yet. Rebuilt motor is in, just haven't had the time to button everything up and break her in.

Glad all is working well for ya man! They are great rigs
SRWillis likes this.

Betty WILL run....
post #56 of 135 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 01:03 PM
Big Six

Bronco Info: 1981 300ci 6cyl w/4bbl conversion. 4spd NP-435 manual. 32" tires.
I completely missed this thread.

Glad to hear things are coming along well and that you're out driving it. That's gotta feel good. How do you like the 1bbl with the EFI manuals? I remember when I had that setup for about a year or so, I was quite pleased with it.

When I had my '84 for a few years, the cup holders were about the only thing I missed from my '81. The bench seat is comfy but there's just no where to set anything.

And you'll get used to driving the manual. =P I can shift, talk on the phone, and eat without ever taking my left arm off the window sill.

Keep it up!

PS: That A/C compressor is almost bigger than your engine.
SRWillis likes this.

March 2016 FOTM
1981 Bronco. 300 I6. 450cfm QuickFuel 4bbl. BFG A/T KO2 32x11.5" tires. NP-435 trans. EFI exhaust manifolds. 2.5" Exhaust. DUI performance ignition. Redhead steering box w/ Saginaw PS pump.
Supermotors Pics
post #57 of 135 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbandonedBronco View Post
How do you like the 1bbl with the EFI manuals? I remember when I had that setup for about a year or so, I was quite pleased with it.

PS: That A/C compressor is almost bigger than your engine.
The compressor is huge! And there's no refrigerant in the system, so thats's another project.

I like the 1 bbl fine. It runs and pulls very good. There's one problem, but don't know if it's the carb or not. It starts very good unless it sits for more than a couple days, then it takes more cranking than I think it should before it gets enough fuel to start. It has a new tank, sending unit, fuel pump and hoses. I believe I have the choke adjusted right. So let me pick your brain, AB and others; what is most likely the problem?
post #58 of 135 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 05:44 PM
Big Six

Bronco Info: 1981 300ci 6cyl w/4bbl conversion. 4spd NP-435 manual. 32" tires.
The moment I read that, I thought "fuel pump" because that's what happened with mine, but you said you changed that. The diaphragm inside gets weak and the fuel drains back into the tank, so you basically have an empty line.

The other thought is that you have a fuel leak at the carb and the fuel bowl is slowly draining, so when you go to start it, it has to fill back up before it can start. One way to check is after it's been sitting for a few days, take the top off the carb and see if it's empty.
SRWillis likes this.

March 2016 FOTM
1981 Bronco. 300 I6. 450cfm QuickFuel 4bbl. BFG A/T KO2 32x11.5" tires. NP-435 trans. EFI exhaust manifolds. 2.5" Exhaust. DUI performance ignition. Redhead steering box w/ Saginaw PS pump.
Supermotors Pics
post #59 of 135 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Thanks AB. Yeah, I better check the carb. I hate to think it's leaking fuel down into the cylinders.

I did replace the fuel pump, but with one from probably O'Reilly's or Advance Auto and it had to be primed to get it pumping, so it may be the problem. Is there a better brand to get?
post #60 of 135 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 05:20 PM

Bronco Info: 1978 4x4 460 4 speed on 40" tires
Garage
I love the 300 straight 6's, a buddy put a brick on the accelerator of his in high school trying to blow it up so his dad would let him put in a big block. It never blew up, the oil started to foam and lose pressure which caused the lifters to collapse and the motor started to slow down on its own. I've driven several but never owned one, but everybody I know that has owned them agrees that they are an unkillable reliable engine. Keep up the great work and updates.
SRWillis likes this.

1978 Bronco Ranger XLT Blue and White (Sig pic is on little tires to fit in the garage)
460-T19-NP205 40 inch tires on 16.5 wheels
Work in progress: Hydraulic clutch conversion (Done), 4 wheel disc brakes(done), front and rear bumpers with winches, spare tire carrier, reinstall gas tank, all new fuel line, interior panels, new seats, on board storage, wet sand paint...

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 78 - 96 Build Forum....Builds only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode