My 81's Road to Road-Worthiness - Page 4 - Ford Bronco Forum
 99Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 146 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 06:36 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1986 Bronco XLT 4x4 -AOD -Warn Hubs, NEW stock 302EFI (2008) All MSD ignition, 9mm FMSR wires
Wow what great looking Bronco, I really like those windshield visors they make the vehicle look sharp.....lol lol.....good job getting it back on the road, I think the 6 bangers are really cool...KUDOS!

Good Luck ~
SRWillis likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 146 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1981 Bronco, 4.9L, T18, NP208
Thanks for the kind and helpful words, and encouragement gents. Great story @bigzirb

I took the top off the carb the other day. I was glad to see it still had fuel in it. While I had the air cleaner ass'y off, I proceeded to check the choke. I had put an electric choke on it and had (I thought) adjusted it correctly. But as I set the fast idle by flooring the peddle, the choke opened too much. I did a little adjusting and let it sit 3 days. This morning it started with far less cranking, so it's close.

I also took the time today to put the tailpipe on.
post #63 of 146 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Made her go topless today. I think she liked it! Took her for a short drive and she was much quieter, hardly any rattles at all. Also trying out some color combinations on the front fender.

post #64 of 146 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Took the old stereo out the other day, it's seen better days. Been researching new systems. Starting to get chilly at night around here, so it's time to install the new heater core I got a while back. Removed the old one tonight, started putting the new one in.
post #65 of 146 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 07:15 AM
FSB/Pirate addict

Bronco Info: 1986 XLT: D60 Leaf SAS, 14B, Elocker/Detroit, 37's, ORD Magnum, Triple stick
Garage
how are you liking the 300 with the T-18? I have the 302 in my 86 with an AOD and it's a dog.

You have a clean truck to start with, can't wait to see what you end up doing with her!
post #66 of 146 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booma View Post
how are you liking the 300 with the T-18? I have the 302 in my 86 with an AOD and it's a dog.

You have a clean truck to start with, can't wait to see what you end up doing with her!
Thanks Booma. I like the combination a lot. It has plenty of pep and torque. I'm running 32s w/3.55 gears and I think it would handle 33s fine. I thought I'd get more MPG, but it's not broken in yet and I think it's running a bit rich.
post #67 of 146 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

I finally pulled the trigger on a new sound system, then I realized I may have messed up on the front speakers, so I would like some feedback on whether I should return them for something else. Here's the components I ordered.

Head unit: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Amp: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Rear speakers:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And here's the speakers I ordered for the front, then realized shortly after I ordered that they are rear speakers. So what I would like to know from you audiophiles is, will they cause me not to get the full range of sound? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

TIA, Stan
post #68 of 146 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 03:24 PM
Age. Fac ut gaudeam

Bronco Info: 1993 Ford F-150 Custom 5.8/E4OD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigzirb View Post
I love the 300 straight 6's, a buddy put a brick on the accelerator of his in high school trying to blow it up so his dad would let him put in a big block. It never blew up, the oil started to foam and lose pressure which caused the lifters to collapse and the motor started to slow down on its own. I've driven several but never owned one, but everybody I know that has owned them agrees that they are an unkillable reliable engine. Keep up the great work and updates.
Did you kick his ass for being a little shit?
AbandonedBronco likes this.

1996 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.8/E4OD EFI
1993 Ford F-150 Custom 5.8/E4OD EFI
1993 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0/E4OD EFI
1979 Ford F-150 Custom 5.0/4speed
2008 Jeep Liberty 3.7/42r
post #69 of 146 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Been (slowly) working on installing the sound system. Took the door panels off and looked like 30+ years of desert dust built up inside. So today I sprayed the doors with Gunk and washed them down, then dried with compressed air and lubed everything. The windows worked much better. Then, of course I got water on the old rubber floor mats and saw it laying at the sill plate. So I figured it was a good time to take the sill plates off and lift up the mats so it could dry up underneath and check to see what condition the floor pans were in. I found mud under the driver's side sill plate and got it all out. The passenger side wasn't so bad as far as mud, but the padding was pretty wet, I think from a leaking heater core as I had noticed what I thought was coolant residue on the mat when I first got it. Good news though, appears to be very little rust; should clean up easily enough. I'll get some pics later.

I'm also thinking of painting the door panels and kick panels black, along with a black dash pad cover at some point to break up all the red in there.

Edit: I'm going back and forth between black or dark gray for the interior panels and carpet...
post #70 of 146 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

I'm still amazed how rust-free it is since most vehicles, especially of this age, around here are ate up with it. There's some rust on the passenger side, but I think just clean it up, prime and paint is all it needs. Most other areas are covered with dirt or padding. The wire harness screws even came out easily. At the bottom is the radio mounting plate I'm making. Here's a few pics:

post #71 of 146 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 04:45 PM

Bronco Info: 79 bronco 460 c6
nice choice on the head unit . i mean unless your going for a comeption stero system . they should be fine might have to trim the door a bit or fab up an adapter out of mdf wood
SRWillis likes this.
post #72 of 146 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck2080 View Post
nice choice on the head unit . i mean unless your going for a comeption stero system . they should be fine might have to trim the door a bit or fab up an adapter out of mdf wood
Thanks, actually the speakers fit the door perfectly, but I'm trying to decide what to do about the covers. They stick out quite a bit and interfere with the window crank. I may just try them with just putting the door panel over them. I haven't yet, but I'm pretty sure I will have to cut a hole in it for the tweeters.
post #73 of 146 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

Finished up the stereo mounting plate. Got way too much time in it, but should be solid and last. Painted the front with semi-gloss where a little bit will show behind the bezel.

Finished up the heat plate for the Edelbrock. As I was bolting it on after I put the fittings in, I realized it would have worked out better if I had put the fittings opposite of where I did. It would have made the hose clamp and the bolt to the rear of the motor more accessible. The Edelbrock has a rib down the middle of the recessed area where the plate bolts on, so I milled out an area on the plate to allow the coolant to circulate. It's not pretty, as I'm not a machinist and I did it on a drill press, but it'll work. I also had to grind the back edge of the plate to clear the exhaust manifold. Also had to file one of the flats on the bolt towards the rear of the motor to clear the exhaust manifold.

post #74 of 146 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 11:33 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 1978 Round headlight, 351M,C6, 9", 44/1991, 445 FE, t19, 205, Dana 60/70, MAF, Moet's
Garage
Looks like a doer to me
SRWillis likes this.
post #75 of 146 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 08:46 PM
FSB/Pirate addict

Bronco Info: 1986 XLT: D60 Leaf SAS, 14B, Elocker/Detroit, 37's, ORD Magnum, Triple stick
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRWillis View Post
I'm going back and forth between black or dark gray for the interior panels and carpet...

I love this for a black interior for our body style and will want to do something similar. I love the red wood and how it really stands out against the black.
post #76 of 146 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 06:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:

I love this for a black interior for our body style and will want to do something similar. I love the red wood and how it really stands out against the black.
Image is not showing for me.
post #77 of 146 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 09:01 AM
Foolsize Member

Bronco Info: They multiply when I'm not looking.
Awesome project Willis, you really dont mess around!
Really gets me thinking about trying to track down a bullnose like this for my dad. He bought his first bronco in the spring of 1982 brand new and ever since was smitten with the 300. He drove all over the state to find my 92 when I was a little kid simply because he didnt want a V8 truck. One of these years I want to find another 82' (or close) bronco with a 300, manual trans, in black, on a set of goodyears just like his was back in his hayday
SRWillis likes this.

1992 XLT 300/M5OD
1978 Custom 351M/C6
1991 XLT 351W/Blown Up E4OD
1988 Custom 302/AOD
post #78 of 146 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 02:53 PM
FSB/Pirate addict

Garage
Quote:
Image is not showing for me.
I'm still new to using the site, so that's on me. However here are the pics of other interiors that I found. I want to get rid of the blue interior on mine and go to something else. Not that the blue is all that bad, but I feel like black or grey would fit better. I thought about tan too but didn't like it as much.

Some of the medium duty trucks with the same interior actually had a two tone grey and black that looks nice too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	27025535-770-0@2X.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	92466   Click image for larger version

Name:	FORD-F700-Cabs-80574215-S1d8G8WLGH0b_b.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	92474   Click image for larger version

Name:	hqdefault.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	92482  
captainpicard300 and SRWillis like this.
post #79 of 146 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm still new to using the site, so that's on me. However here are the pics of other interiors that I found. I want to get rid of the blue interior on mine and go to something else. Not that the blue is all that bad, but I feel like black or grey would fit better. I thought about tan too but didn't like it as much.

Some of the medium duty trucks with the same interior actually had a two tone grey and black that looks nice too.
Hey, no problem, thanks for sharing the pics. I went with Graphite carpet and am looking at dark gray for the panels, dash pad and front seat cover for now. I don't think blue is bad, but I just had too much red! Good luck on your color picks.
post #80 of 146 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 05:04 PM
FSB/Pirate addict

Garage
Quote:
Hey, no problem, thanks for sharing the pics. I went with Graphite carpet and am looking at dark gray for the panels, dash pad and front seat cover for now. I don't think blue is bad, but I just had too much red! Good luck on your color picks.
LMC sells a plastic dash pad cover that fits very well. I have one for my truck to cover up the hole in the vent on the top. It comes with glue to seal it but I have mine floating on top. If you were to glue it, it would fit alot better than mine, but as mine is now, I have maybe an 1/8 of the original dash peeking through. I haven't glued mine because you barely notice it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jeeps006.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	92490  
SRWillis likes this.

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 78 - 96 Build Forum....Builds only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode