My 81's Road to Road-Worthiness - Page 7 - Ford Bronco Forum
 99Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #121 of 146 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1981 Bronco, 4.9L, T18, NP208
It fired up today! Woohoo! I then tried out the Duraspark box I picked up off of eBay and it also worked. I think I'm going to leave it on b/c the original one looks like it's been cooked in the desert for 35 years, but that's b/c it has (if it's the original).

This is the 1st time running it since I did the 3G upgrade. The voltage measured 14.21. It did squeal when I first got it started, but I think that was b/c I had to crank it a bit and discharged the battery some. I will have to check the belt tightness though, but didn't think of it after I put it back in the garage.

It's also the 1st time running since I hooked up the heater core and the intake manifold heat plate. Didn't see any leaks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 146 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 09:46 PM

Bronco Info: 1981 Ranger XLT, I6/SROD/NP208, Superwinch hubs, 275k and counting
Garage
That's always an awesome feeling, congrats
SRWillis likes this.

Tough to kill an old six
post #123 of 146 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

The weather report said it was going to be 60 and sunny today, so I thought it would be a good day to take a vacation day. It ended up getting to 65, so it was a good day. I had started the floor insulation the evening before, so I finished that up, then installed the carpet, settles, seat, dash pad, cleaned up all the stuff out of the back, then went for a short drive.

I still have some trim and glove box door to paint and install, but it's shaping up. I didn't know if I would like the gray seat since I went with black for the plastic parts, but I think it looks okay.

There was some kind of silver colored, about 1/8" thick material on the floorboard of the rear seat, but it was moldy looking, so I threw it away. I think it was designed to allow water to drain underneath it to the rocker panel area. So, I had some foam board and decided to use it in that area.

BroncoJoe96, david-09 and I6-Kid like this.

Last edited by SRWillis; 04-07-2017 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Reload pics

post #124 of 146 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 08:39 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: '81 XLT, 302, manual w/granny, manual transfer case, manual hubs
Garage
Congrats, looking good. Hope I can get mine that far.
SRWillis likes this.

If you can't or won't stand behind our troops and law enforcement; feel free to stand in front of them.
post #125 of 146 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 06:24 AM

Garage
Lookin spiffy! I can only hope my carpet installation goes well
SRWillis likes this.

Tough to kill an old six
post #126 of 146 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. The way I did mine @I6-Kid was to get it centered up side-to-side and pushed all the way to the back corner where it rises up to meet the bed, then check to make sure it is lined up going towards the front. I then anchored it with the seat belt bolts to keep it from shifting and worked forward. I wish I would have had the little utility knife I carry at work (the ones they sell at the counters at Harbor Freight) to cut the bolt holes, or a hole punch. I think it would have worked better than the regular utility knife I had. Anyway, sharp blades are your friend. I had to take the passenger side seat belt bolt out to get the carpet over the shifters, but I set a heavy bucket on the carpet to help keep it from shifting while I did that.
post #127 of 146 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 08:14 PM

Garage
Thanks for the tips @SRWillis ! I hope to get mine installed soonish, but I was waiting til I wouldn't be tromping inside the truck working so often
SRWillis likes this.

Tough to kill an old six
post #128 of 146 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 09:40 PM

Bronco Info: 1981 Bronco Ranger XLT- First car, so lets see how it goes
Garage
Looks nice!!! I really need to replace mine too.
SRWillis likes this.

Love it or hate it, its better than a jeep.
post #129 of 146 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Took a little much-needed time to clean my work bench off. It's a little cluttered again now, but at least I could use it to mix the Bondo.

I got the Bondo over the welded areas, smoothed out and primered. Have spot putty on it now, but here's the before pics.

I also changed the starter relay to a Motorcraft b/c I've had it stick occasionally.

Last edited by SRWillis; 04-07-2017 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Reloaded pics
post #130 of 146 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Well, fixing the cracks got me side-tracked into doing some more bodywork. So I've been working on filling the holes where the visor had been fastened and some dents and spots where the 3-4 layers of paint had cracked. I really should be working on the rear u-jount and checking the front wheel bearings, etc. Sure can tell where the visor had protected the paint from the desert sun!

Last edited by SRWillis; 04-08-2017 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Reloaded pics
post #131 of 146 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 11:41 PM
Big Six

Bronco Info: 1981 300ci 6cyl w/4bbl conversion. 4spd NP-435 manual. 32" tires.
Bodywork is one thing I really need to learn. (Mine needs it too). What a cool skill to have.
SRWillis likes this.

March 2016 FOTM
1981 Bronco. 300 I6. 450cfm QuickFuel 4bbl. BFG A/T KO2 32x11.5" tires. NP-435 trans. EFI exhaust manifolds. 2.5" Exhaust. DUI performance ignition. Redhead steering box w/ Saginaw PS pump.
Supermotors Pics
post #132 of 146 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbandonedBronco View Post
Bodywork is one thing I really need to learn. (Mine needs it too). What a cool skill to have.
Nothin' to it! Course you haven't seen the finished product yet.
post #133 of 146 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 02:16 PM

Bronco Info: 1984 i6
Garage
I've gone way out of order restoring mine.... Still gets done eventually...And you knock out something that bugged too. Win.

Always tomorrow to check wheel bearings and such.
SRWillis likes this.

Last edited by BikerPepe`; 03-27-2017 at 10:58 PM. Reason: remove copied pics, op request
post #134 of 146 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 05:55 PM

Bronco Info: 1981 Bronco Ranger XLT- First car, so lets see how it goes
Garage
I really need to to body work on mine....yours looks nice!!!!! Any chance you are selling your visor?

Love it or hate it, its better than a jeep.
post #135 of 146 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLBartholomew View Post
....yours looks nice!!!!! Any chance you are selling your visor?
Thanks, but sometimes I wonder if it will ever get there. I've thought about selling it, but I don't know for sure if I want to. And shipping would costly.
post #136 of 146 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

The last couple weeks I've been sanding on the hood, filling with spot putty, sanding some more and repeating. I think I've almost got it. I'v also been removing and replacing cracked seam filler. From research on here, I found a good seam sealer and they even sell it at Advance Auto: Advance Auto Parts - Down for Maintenance

I used mostly a wire wheel on my drill or a screwdriver to remove it. The areas at the corner of the windshield was hard and cracked, so I mostly just pried it out in pieces and scraped the metal to prepare it. Cleaned all the surfaces with paint prep before putting the new seam sealer on. I tried using acid brushes to apply it or to smooth it out, but as with most cauking type material, I ended up using my fingers. I still have some sanding to do on the areas that will show. There was a hole exposed at the rear of the sail panel you can see in this pic, so I'm glad I had the top off to be able to find it.

There was a bigger gap on this side, but it was still sealed.

Cleaned up both sides like this.

Then did some sealing.

I cleaned it up some with a single-edge razor and my fingernails. It's not real pretty, but with a little sanding I think it will shape up okay.
aintskeerd likes this.
post #137 of 146 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 10:04 PM

Bronco Info: 1986 302 fuel injected 6" lift
Nice work there Dude!

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk
SRWillis and disturbio like this.

Last edited by BikerPepe`; 03-27-2017 at 10:59 PM. Reason: remove copied pics, op request
post #138 of 146 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Been working on the fenders. I tried to scrape the pinstripe tape off, but it is baked on good, so I gingerly used a flap disc on my 4" grinder, then used a detail sander before wet sanding. I had toyed with the idea of rattle-canning it, but I've pretty much settled on the original color for the repaint, all one color, using urethane paint. I've thought about shooting it myself, but I don't have the proper equipment, just a couple old syphon guns and a compressor that I don't think has the capacity and I don't have any filters and such. So, I've put out feelers and I have a couple leads for people who paint on the side. I don't need show paint and the bodywork won't support that anyway, just a decent daily driver.

For all you paint guys, is it worth using a sealer, or will I be okay without it?

Last edited by SRWillis; 04-08-2017 at 12:20 AM. Reason: Reloaded pics
post #139 of 146 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Well, I'm not having a good day with high tech stuff. I guess I'll have to reload some images in this thread. I was trying to download more pics on photobucket, it wasn't acting right, so I cancelled and done it again. Then they all loaded twice, so I deleted the extras, then these were gone.

Anyway, I've been working on the passenger quarter where the bumper had put a nasty crease in it and there's a rust hole. This is what it looked like when I got it.

I had to cut the crease so I could bend it out somewhat, cut out the rust spot and sanded all the paint off after cleaning. I sprayed rust reformer primer through the hole on the inside support.

I decided to use fiberglass cloth and resin to repair the crease since it is not normally exposed on the back side to water, etc.

AbandonedBronco likes this.
post #140 of 146 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 02:02 PM

Bronco Info: 1995 C150 Centurion 4 Door Bronco, 351, E4OD, 4x4
Have you considered a patch panel like this one? That fiberglass is going to take a lot of work to sand down and shape correctly.

1995 C150 4 Door Bronco: 351, E4OD, 4x4, Bullnose conversion in progress
Build Thread: http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...ld-thread.html

1985 Bronco: Sold

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 78 - 96 Build Forum....Builds only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode