79 Rusty Custom build - Page 2 - Ford Bronco Forum
 64Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 94 (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 11:27 AM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 1978 Round headlight, 351M,C6, 9", 44/1991, 445 FE, t19, 205, Dana 60/70, MAF, Moet's
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 379sinvb View Post
You have some work ahead of you for sure. There are a lot of good threads to refer and see how folks repaired what you have. One I like to share is attached below. Gary did a good job on quite a few things.

Scoop's 78 Bronco Custom Build/Restore
My 78 does not come with the optional floor LOL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 94 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1979 Custom 351m
Garage
Haha I would've bought this thing with or without the floor!

1979 Bronco Custom stock 351m, 33x10.5 BFG tires, Monstaliner paint job, work in progress!
Rusty Custom Build
post #23 of 94 (permalink) Old 05-28-2016, 10:31 AM

Bronco Info: driving a 78 rusty piece o crap owned 23 yrs, and working on another 78 bronco,mint,460
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 445 FE Bronco View Post
My 78 does not come with the optional floor LOL.
floors are completely over rated
none of my british cars ever came with them and I loved them anyway

and congrats on the new baby
hope you actually find the time to work on it!
mrbollero likes this.

post #24 of 94 (permalink) Old 05-28-2016, 10:58 AM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 1978 Round headlight, 351M,C6, 9", 44/1991, 445 FE, t19, 205, Dana 60/70, MAF, Moet's
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trustyrusty View Post
floors are completely over rated
none of my british cars ever came with them and I loved them anyway

and congrats on the new baby
hope you actually find the time to work on it!
It has to be a driver till the 91 is done.
post #25 of 94 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 04:16 PM

Bronco Info: 1978 4x4 460 4 speed on 40" tires
Garage
Nice Bronco to rebuild there, it looks like it has solid bones. Keep the updates flowing.

1978 Bronco Ranger XLT Blue and White (Sig pic is on little tires to fit in the garage)
460-T19-NP205 40 inch tires on 16.5 wheels
Work in progress: Hydraulic clutch conversion (Done), 4 wheel disc brakes(done), front and rear bumpers with winches, spare tire carrier, reinstall gas tank, all new fuel line, interior panels, new seats, on board storage, wet sand paint...
post #26 of 94 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Sorry for lack of updates. I haven't had time to do much work with the new baby. I finally sold my other bronco so now I have the cash to really get this one going.
The only real work I've done is remove those ugly steps of the side. Looks much better now. Will upload pics asap.

In the meantime, I ordered a lot of what I need for the new couple months of building:
Welder and supplies (cheapo, just need to get the floor pans in, hoping to avoid burn through with a flux core... if not I'll head over to a friends for some help)
Cordless tool set- will be going to the JY this week to cut out the entire floor to use as patch panels.
Stereo system, including subs, two amps, new head unit, and wiring kits.

2 questions:
When I start cutting the floor out, I want to clean up the frame (at least everything that's visible) and put an undercoating on to prevent future rust. Not going frame-off right now, but this will help a little. The process I plan on using- sand the metal, prime, and use undercoating. Any better ideas or undercoat recommendations?

2nd- I don't want to install the speakers in the doors since I plan on having them off most of the time. Recommendations on alternate mounting locations? I'll have a total of 4 6.5"s and 4 tweeters, plus 6x9s mounted in the stock rear location and subs in the back.

Thanks guys!

1979 Bronco Custom stock 351m, 33x10.5 BFG tires, Monstaliner paint job, work in progress!
Rusty Custom Build
post #27 of 94 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Forgot- new 140amp alternator for all those speakers as well as a new tailgate motor (of course, right after I mentioned how lucky I was to get a JY tailgate with a working motor it craps out)

Rusty Custom Build
post #28 of 94 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 10:36 PM

Bronco Info: 78 Bronco custom 400M C6
Garage
Just noticed where you were from maybe ill see your truck around some time!!!
post #29 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassmaster656 View Post
Just noticed where you were from maybe ill see your truck around some time!!!
Awesome! Are you in NWA? I met a guy at UPullIt on Saturday from Rogers who has a nice post-92 Bronco. We need to all get together sometime.

Rusty Custom Build
post #30 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Small update-
Got the new tailgate motor installed. Way easier than I thought- I worried I would have to remove the regulator.
Went to the JY and picked up a spare tire with a rim that matches my other 4, a new rear seat spring latch (mine was really sticky and wouldn't release without a hammer), and a set of the rear seat mounts which were in cruddy shape on my truck. I worked for a couple hours trying to cut out the floor pans from a donor bronco. My goal was to make as few cuts as possible, so I cut all the way around the perimeter of the interior then realized there were way more welds and such than I expected. So I'll be back this weekend to chop it up, most likely. Had to leave early because I smacked my shin on a low hanging door panel and cut it open. Got 4 stitches later that afternoon.

I was super impressed by the Ryobi sawzall I picked up a couple weeks ago- I had the two batteries that came with it and i bought an extra (the largest Li-Ion Home Depot carries) and not even one went dead after all that cutting. Also had the best luck with the Skil "Ugly" metal saw blades.

Donor Bronco after clearing out the whole interior. Rust free floor- exactly what I needed.
79BroncoSpringTx likes this.

Rusty Custom Build
post #31 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 04:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbollero View Post
Awesome! Are you in NWA? I met a guy at UPullIt on Saturday from Rogers who has a nice post-92 Bronco. We need to all get together sometime.
Nice find on the doner is it at upullit? And yea I'm in nwa!
post #32 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Nice find on the doner is it at upullit? And yea I'm in nwa!
Yeah it is at upullit. They actually have a '79 Bronco there too but it's been pretty much picked apart. I think the motor is mostly still there, but I'm not sure I'd ever trust any essential parts from one of those engines without rebuilding them. They used to have two other 90's Broncos there but I guess they shipped them off. Seems like they're moving through inventory pretty quickly right now, but I've only been going there for a little over a year so who knows.

Rusty Custom Build
post #33 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 05:55 PM

Garage
Quote:
Yeah it is at upullit. They actually have a '79 Bronco there too but it's been pretty much picked apart. I think the motor is mostly still there, but I'm not sure I'd ever trust any essential parts from one of those engines without rebuilding them. They used to have two other 90's Broncos there but I guess they shipped them off. Seems like they're moving through inventory pretty quickly right now, but I've only been going there for a little over a year so who knows.
Were the leafs under the rear of that 79? If you noticed
post #34 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 07:06 PM

Bronco Info: '91 EB, 5.0L, RV cam, Edelbrock/BBK, JBA shortys, 4" long travel, 33s, 4.09s, rear ltd slip
Looks a lot like the way my '79, called "Project Deepwoods," started off. She turned out to be a pretty sweet daily driver/off-road rig.
RAMPNT1 and mrbollero like this.
post #35 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 12:35 AM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1979 351M C6 restoration in progress
Garage
I am definitely subscribing to this thread. It is nice to now im not the only one with rust problems!! How does the under carriage of the cab look?

2015 f150 Screw 3.5L EcoBoost fire engine red.
1979 Ford Bronco Custom
351M C6 trans Frame off Restoration in progress!!
post #36 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 12:43 AM

Bronco Info: 1978 Ranger XLT 351M / C6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4editor View Post
Looks a lot like the way my '79, called "Project Deepwoods," started off. She turned out to be a pretty sweet daily driver/off-road rig.
Welcome, there have been quite a few people over the years asking about that truck. Looking forward to seeing more of it.

1978 Bronco XLT Ranger: 351M with Edelbrock intake, FAST EZ EFI 2.0, FAST dual sync dizzy, FAST E6 ignition box, Wild Horses Hydroboost and Sag pump kit, C6 Trans, Dana 44 front and 9" rear

Jim
post #37 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Were the leafs under the rear of that 79? If you noticed
I'm ALMOST sure that they they are. I remember looking at the suspension cause I'm considering a lift for mine. I ended up pulling the springs out of that same black donor bronco because it has what looks like a 4-6" lift kit on it. We'll see if I end up using them.

Either way, the $1 entrance fee is worth it to check it out, and you might find something else that's useful. I just hate driving up there from Fayetteville but it could be worse!

Rusty Custom Build
post #38 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbas79 View Post
I am definitely subscribing to this thread. It is nice to now im not the only one with rust problems!! How does the under carriage of the cab look?
It's not too bad under there aside from the floor pans. And the pans are only bad on the flat spots where water or dirt and crap has sat for who knows how long. So I'm optimistic about what I can't see.

Rusty Custom Build
post #39 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 01:20 PM

Garage
Quote:
I'm ALMOST sure that they they are. I remember looking at the suspension cause I'm considering a lift for mine. I ended up pulling the springs out of that same black donor bronco because it has what looks like a 4-6" lift kit on it. We'll see if I end up using them.

Either way, the $1 entrance fee is worth it to check it out, and you might find something else that's useful. I just hate driving up there from Fayetteville but it could be worse!
It's a lot fort her for me ha I live past huntsville if you do lift yours and want rid of your old leaves holler at me.
post #40 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
It's a lot fort her for me ha I live past huntsville if you do lift yours and want rid of your old leaves holler at me.
I'm going to be over there tomorrow or Saturday for those floor pans so I'll take a look and let you know. Suspension stuff tends to stay on the vehicles from what I can tell- people tend to go for interior stuff, engine accessories, and other stuff that's easy to pull off but not really suspension.

Yeah, I'll let you know either way. My springs seem to be in pretty good shape.

I love driving out to Huntstville, the scenery is awesome, but it is a bit of a haul.
Bassmaster656 likes this.

Rusty Custom Build

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 78 - 96 Build Forum....Builds only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode