It's been a long week.
For the last two weeks I've been staying up late after the family has gone to bed to get the floors in and get the body finished. My goal was to get it all done by Monday as I had Monday/Tuesday off of school and work. I did get just about everything done and was able to wrap up all the prep Monday morning, so I used Monday afternoon and all day Tuesday to paint Monstaliner on and I'm pretty happy with the results, but there are definitely a few things I learned.
Monstaliner is a great product, the instructions are really clear and the result is great, but you have to be careful with the rollers they give you. The 2 gallon kit, which I used to coat the exterior and the floor of the interior, came with 3 foam rollers and I ordered 4 more, so I thought I had plenty. The first one started disintegrating and leaving little flecks of roller in the paint just a few minutes in, and I ended up using 4 of the rollers for just the white paint (mix of White and "Killer Beej"), which was the first half of the project. Maybe I was using too much pressure, but now I have lots of little bits in my paint, which isn't the end of the world but it definitely doesn't look as good as it should.
For the 2nd half, all of the red (Blood Bath tint) I rolled the first coat on with a regular roller, which worked way better and lasted the whole coat, used a 2nd coat to go over spots that weren't originally red, then a final coat with 2 of the Monstaliner rollers.
I have maybe 1/4 gallon left of the product and enough of each color to go back over any spots that need attention. I also plan on widening the white stripe on the rear 1/4 panels as they are too thin right now and look stupid. After a few days of good drying I'll put it back together and take more pictures.
The top looks MUCH better since the fiberglass was beginning to show its age and even multiple powerwashings and scrubbings couldn't remove all of the dirt and mold in the cracks.
Interior- don't love that the dash doesn't match the color, but I'll do something about that. It's much better now than it was, that's for sure.
Side shot. Love everything except the white on the 1/4s.
The better paint shows the dings and dents better than the old stuff.
Doors look much better- had to take care of some bondo issues and rust the PO left me.
Took the opportunity to plastidip the front and rear bumpers while I had them off. Again, much better, and after installing them I'll do a final coat to even it up a little.