Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1979 Custom 351m
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassmaster656 View Post
Cool thanks!
Man I went up there yesterday and the 79 was GONE. I couldn't believe it- I was planning to pull the drivers door off since it was in really good shape and mine is a little off and dented. So... no leaf springs, but I'm getting more and more convinced I'm gonna do the lift so I'll let you know when I get around to it!

In other news- I worked for a couple more hours and came away with a couple of 2ftx4ft sections of floor pan, including the section right behind the front seats, which is what I really wanted. Sucked that I couldn't get more though, so I'll either be using sheet metal or ordering from JBG or LMC.
Bassmaster656 likes this.

1979 Bronco Custom stock 351m, 33x10.5 BFG tires, Monstaliner paint job, work in progress!
Rusty Custom Build
post #43 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
No big updates this weekend. Replaced the battery cables and cleaned up the connections- was having intermittent start problems that I was 99% sure was coming from the cables. See pic below for why. Had a few hours Saturday to power wash out the interior and underneath the truck, pulled out remaining carpet as well as the crappy roofing tin floor panels the PO had screwed into the floor to cover up the gaping holes. Pics below.

[IMG][/IMG]
Nothing wrong at all with this negative cable!

[IMG][/IMG]This is a pic of behind the grill- two horns on the passenger side of the truck. Are these stock? Either way, they're not working- I can hear air coming from the little pump/motor when I hit the horn button, but that air isn't making it to the horns. Not a high priority but thought I'd ask.

[IMG][/IMG]This was my floor.

[IMG][/IMG] What was hiding underneath. You can see lots of my concrete driveway. Passenger side.

[IMG][/IMG]Drivers side.

1979 Bronco Custom stock 351m, 33x10.5 BFG tires, Monstaliner paint job, work in progress!
Rusty Custom Build

post #44 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 05:55 PM

Bronco Info: 78 Bronco custom 400M C6
Garage
Looks just like my floors! And no those arnt stock.
post #45 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Not many updates as of recently. I had suspension issues with my daily driver, so I had to replace all the shocks/struts. Good practice.
I did manage to drill out a stuck screw and remove the instrument cluster, which is pretty good shape other than the speedo, which doesn't work. Not sure how these speedos are made to operate, but this just spins freely. Seems like the needle should automatically bounce back to 0? Otherwise it's in good shape.

Ideally this weekend I'll get around to cutting out some of the floor cancer and starting to cut and prep replacement pieces. Also need to order new steel, probably from Rockauto or Tabco.

Rusty Custom Build
post #46 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Small update. Finally finished the removal of the rust cancer throughout the bed of the truck. Removed both driver and passenger pans, the entire section behind the front seats up to the ramp up, and then a couple of medium size sections next to the fender wells on both sides of the bed. I should've bought a pair of sheet metal shears much, much earlier- these made the whole process way easier. The ones from Harbor Freight work great on the 16 gauge metal. That, paired with an angle grinder for small/awkward cuts and the sawzall for stubborn spots.

I also used some Rustoleum Professional Undercoat (the brush on style) to undercoat all the frame and sub-floor that I had access to without these panels on.

Over the next couple weeks I'll trim, fit, and weld in place the replacement pans. Much work ahead, but there's a light at the end of the tunnel now.

Rusty Custom Build
post #47 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Also- used Jasco Paint and Primer to coat rusty spots, or anything that looked like it was thinking about rusting, before undercoating. Seemed to do the trick. We'll see how well the undercoat adheres over time.

Rusty Custom Build
post #48 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 08:32 PM

Garage
Looks great! Got the same job ahead of me!
post #49 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Looks great! Got the same job ahead of me!
Thanks... I'm excited to be done. Going to have to pull some late nights since that's the only real free time I have.

By the way- I think I'm going to keep it stock height for now- these pans cost me a lot more than I'd hope they would. Sorry about that, but I'll keep my eye out at upullit.

Rusty Custom Build
post #50 of 81 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Few more updates. Took advantage of some free time this past week to remove the trim and now I have to decide whether or not to put it back on when I'm done.

Ordered paint (Monstaliner). I know I'll catch some flack for this, but I know myself and, for me, I'd rather not obsess over scratching a nice paint job when, someday, I do a little wheeling in this.

Started doing some measurements for the addition of the under-floor storage compartment (link here). In prep for that I removed the heat shield that sits over the muffler. I'll probably leave it off as I plan on re-doing the exhaust eventually.

Welded in the passenger side floor pan, but I did a pretty shoddy job of it. I'm learning as I go, and this is my first welding experience, so it's not the best. I may or may not end up removing this and redoing it before I paint the truck. Problem was I couldn't get my hand between the heat shield and the floor pan by the trans tunnel to rub in seam sealer, so I'm afraid there's some exposed metal under there. We'll see. Ordered some weld thru primer to take care of that for the next pans.

Picked up a set of doors from a truck that a guy was parting out ('76, I think) so I can make half-doors sometime.

Some of the undercoating I did last week. Sorry for the poor pictures, my phone is a piece of junk.

Taping for the storage box.

Trim coming off- needs cleaning

Monstaliner in the near future. Also managed to cut off that nasty broken bug shield.

Other side. Going to have to remove those last couple pieces of front trim after removing the doors (can't easily reach the acorn nuts).
79BroncoSpringTx likes this.

Rusty Custom Build

Last edited by mrbollero; 09-15-2016 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Bad phot link
post #51 of 81 (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Slow but steady- did a better job with the driver's side pan so now both front pans are in and it's at least driveable. Took to a metal shop 30 minutes from my house and picked up a 4x8 sheet and used it to make the rear patch (for behind the front seats) as well as the under floor storage bin (pictured) and new door panels.

The patches for the bed portion of the truck have been ready for a while, and I finally got a chance to "fabricate", in other words bend a couple of pieces of metal to close to the right shape, patches for the edges of the wheel wells. Will hopefully install all of the floor in the rear this week.

My box isn't perfectly square but is functional. I was using a borrowed brake after sundown so I was lucky it came out this good.

Test fitting rear panel and prepping for the storage box.

Rusty Custom Build
post #52 of 81 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Good stuff done last week and this weekend.
Almost ready for paint next week.

Patches for the rear fenders and corners.

There was a ton of caked mud and dirt in the rear cab corners (under the tail lights). No surprise they were rusted out.

It looks terrible in my driveway, but I got the bumpers removed as well as the grill. Good opportunity to clean.

Passenger fender trimmed

Driver side trim

Rusty Custom Build
post #53 of 81 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
It's been a long week.
For the last two weeks I've been staying up late after the family has gone to bed to get the floors in and get the body finished. My goal was to get it all done by Monday as I had Monday/Tuesday off of school and work. I did get just about everything done and was able to wrap up all the prep Monday morning, so I used Monday afternoon and all day Tuesday to paint Monstaliner on and I'm pretty happy with the results, but there are definitely a few things I learned.

Monstaliner is a great product, the instructions are really clear and the result is great, but you have to be careful with the rollers they give you. The 2 gallon kit, which I used to coat the exterior and the floor of the interior, came with 3 foam rollers and I ordered 4 more, so I thought I had plenty. The first one started disintegrating and leaving little flecks of roller in the paint just a few minutes in, and I ended up using 4 of the rollers for just the white paint (mix of White and "Killer Beej"), which was the first half of the project. Maybe I was using too much pressure, but now I have lots of little bits in my paint, which isn't the end of the world but it definitely doesn't look as good as it should.
For the 2nd half, all of the red (Blood Bath tint) I rolled the first coat on with a regular roller, which worked way better and lasted the whole coat, used a 2nd coat to go over spots that weren't originally red, then a final coat with 2 of the Monstaliner rollers.

I have maybe 1/4 gallon left of the product and enough of each color to go back over any spots that need attention. I also plan on widening the white stripe on the rear 1/4 panels as they are too thin right now and look stupid. After a few days of good drying I'll put it back together and take more pictures.

The top looks MUCH better since the fiberglass was beginning to show its age and even multiple powerwashings and scrubbings couldn't remove all of the dirt and mold in the cracks.

Interior- don't love that the dash doesn't match the color, but I'll do something about that. It's much better now than it was, that's for sure.

Side shot. Love everything except the white on the 1/4s.

The better paint shows the dings and dents better than the old stuff.

Doors look much better- had to take care of some bondo issues and rust the PO left me.

Took the opportunity to plastidip the front and rear bumpers while I had them off. Again, much better, and after installing them I'll do a final coat to even it up a little.

Rusty Custom Build
post #54 of 81 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 03:01 PM
Resurection Ranch

Bronco Info: Blue Eyes,Black Stallion, Shadow & Filly
Looks good man, I see what you are saying about the white. The normal white painting goes up about to center of the dent. Where the trim would run and cover for a break.

Rick
My Projects- "Left for Dead"
Filly

tidewaterbroncos@gmail.com (also on facebook)
post #55 of 81 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 379sinvb View Post
Looks good man, I see what you are saying about the white. The normal white painting goes up about to center of the dent. Where the trim would run and cover for a break.
Thanks! Yeah, I didn't want to do it up to the center of the dent since I'm not putting the trim back on- want the dent to be a solid color. I think I'll bring the line of the white down a little so it matches the front fenders better. I was guessing as best I could when I tapped it off since I'd already patched the rear fenders and couldn't see how far the white went down the first time.

Rusty Custom Build
post #56 of 81 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 04:35 PM
Resurection Ranch

Bronco Info: Blue Eyes,Black Stallion, Shadow & Filly
You could run the white down to the edge of the lower body line.

Rick
My Projects- "Left for Dead"
Filly

tidewaterbroncos@gmail.com (also on facebook)
post #57 of 81 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 12:31 AM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1978 Ranger XLT, auto, 400, zero rust, never wrecked, but a work in progress
Your posts give me inspiration! I am very happy that my 78 has no rust but it needs a lotta luv.......
post #58 of 81 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 12:46 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 379sinvb View Post
You could run the white down to the edge of the lower body line.
Yeah, I see what you mean. I'm almost out of paint so I'm going to try to thicken the lines over the rear fenders since I do like the way the front fenders turned out. Luckily if I end up hating it I can order some more Monstaliner (planning to do 1/2 doors so I'm going to need to order eventually anyway) and redo any spots that need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescued78projectTX View Post
Your posts give me inspiration! I am very happy that my 78 has no rust but it needs a lotta luv.......
Good!!! I definitely underestimated how hard replacing the floors would be, but mostly because it was my first time doing it. Now that I have the tools and a bit of experience I could do it more more easily next time, but I definitely don't want to again in the next decade or so.

Rusty Custom Build
post #59 of 81 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 11:11 AM

Garage
Looking great man!!! Update the mostaliner later and give a rating on it I may try it out!!
post #60 of 81 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Looking great man!!! Update the mostaliner later and give a rating on it I may try it out!!
Thanks!
I will! I've done a little write-up that I'll post when everything gets all dry and I can take pictures.

Hey Bassmaster, by the way, a place around here has a set of leaf springs for $100. I looked into it because, after looking closer, both of my springs have a broken leaf, but I may wait until I decide on a lift kit. Anyway the place is called Warford auto wreckers and their website is warfordsalvage.com. They'll pull the parts and deliver them.

Rusty Custom Build

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 78 - 96 Build Forum....Builds only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode