79 Rusty Custom build - Page 4 - Ford Bronco Forum
 81Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 113 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1979 Custom 351m
Garage
Drove the truck out of the garage today and took a few pics. Also finally got around to changing the plugs and wires- what an incredible difference! It ran like a "new" truck! The old spark plugs were super crusty and even rusted on the outside but they came out fine.

Shows the texture a bit.

Very sunny day so this one is a bit washed out.

You can see a few spots I missed but I'll hit those later.

1979 Bronco Custom stock 351m, 33x10.5 BFG tires, Monstaliner paint job, work in progress!
Rusty Custom Build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 113 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 06:38 PM

Bronco Info: '79 Custom
You are right! Pretty similar condition of the floors. I have a ton of that JASCO stuff left over from a BMW build I had considered for 5 minutes. I am sure I will have to go to town on it and do lots of patching like you did. How strong is the now non-corrugated section behind the front seats now that you patched it?

1995 BMW 540i
'79 SHTF Daily Build
1997 Toyota 4Runner (locked)
post #63 of 113 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallnoise View Post
You are right! Pretty similar condition of the floors. I have a ton of that JASCO stuff left over from a BMW build I had considered for 5 minutes. I am sure I will have to go to town on it and do lots of patching like you did. How strong is the now non-corrugated section behind the front seats now that you patched it?
Yeah, that Jasco stuff is amazing. I bought 3 bottles and only used maybe half of one.

So, that new flat section is NOT strong- it flexes a bit. I have a piece of that section cut from the bed of a donor bronco at a junkyard, so my plan originally was to use it, but in the end the flat piece was just way easier. I might end up splicing in the correct section for strength, but for now I plan to add a piece of angle iron under the floor, welded to the frame. It only flexes at the very back because I cut out the little ramp up in order to put a door in for the under floor storage. If it was welded all the way around, it probably wouldn't flex.

1979 Bronco Custom stock 351m, 33x10.5 BFG tires, Monstaliner paint job, work in progress!
Rusty Custom Build

post #64 of 113 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbollero View Post
Yeah, that Jasco stuff is amazing. I bought 3 bottles and only used maybe half of one.

So, that new flat section is NOT strong- it flexes a bit. I have a piece of that section cut from the bed of a donor bronco at a junkyard, so my plan originally was to use it, but in the end the flat piece was just way easier. I might end up splicing in the correct section for strength, but for now I plan to add a piece of angle iron under the floor, welded to the frame. It only flexes at the very back because I cut out the little ramp up in order to put a door in for the under floor storage. If it was welded all the way around, it probably wouldn't flex.
Very cool! Great intel there. Since I am not doing the box, then I can just do a flat piece and weld all the way around and if there is movement, angle iron down there makes sense too!

1995 BMW 540i
'79 SHTF Daily Build
post #65 of 113 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 07:05 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallnoise View Post
Very cool! Great intel there. Since I am not doing the box, then I can just do a flat piece and weld all the way around and if there is movement, angle iron down there makes sense too!
Yeah, that would work for sure. There isn't all that much space between the frame supports, so even if you step square between them you're only maybe a foot away from a support. I used 16 gauge but if you REALLY want it to be solid 14 gauge would last forever.

Rusty Custom Build
post #66 of 113 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 08:10 AM

Bronco Info: 1995 Bronco XLT 5.0 with MAF and Manual Transfer Case/Hubs
wow, she looks much better now that she's all cleaned out and painted. nice job

1995 Black Bronco XLT 5.0 - E40D, Manual Transfer Case and Hubs

2008 Grey BMW 135i TT - 6MT, Full Bolt-On
post #67 of 113 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by highbrowed View Post
wow, she looks much better now that she's all cleaned out and painted. nice job
Thanks! Yeah, it's a different truck. Gotta replace a brake line that rusted out and is spewing fluid this weekend and replace the leaking pinion seal for the 9 inch. On pause right now because I got in a hurry and cut my hand open, so my 14 stitches are keeping me from doing much.

Rusty Custom Build
post #68 of 113 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Thanks! Yeah, it's a different truck. Gotta replace a brake line that rusted out and is spewing fluid this weekend and replace the leaking pinion seal for the 9 inch. On pause right now because I got in a hurry and cut my hand open, so my 14 stitches are keeping me from doing much.
Pics!

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

1995 BMW 540i
'79 SHTF Daily Build
post #69 of 113 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 12:57 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 1978 Round headlight, 351M,C6, 9", 44/1991, 445 FE, t19, 205, Dana 60/70, MAF, Moet's
Garage
Give blood to the Bronco Gods as a sacrifice, yeah pics of the damage!
disturbio and marshallnoise like this.
post #70 of 113 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Finished painting the front grill and components this weekend. I used plastidip so if I don't like it I can just peel it off. Turned out great though, so I'll leave it for now. Also drove it around town and everything seems to be working as it should. Some lifter tick and blue smoke at startup (likely old valve seals), so a rebuild or engine swap will be in the future, but I'm just going to enjoy it for now. Sorry for the poor camera quality- I'll get the good camera out when I get the doors on (weather in the 60s!).

These next two are from a week or so ago- hadn't finished painting some of the grill shell.

Next up:

Leaky pinion seal

Get creative to fix the middle air/heat vent tubing behind the dash.

Rusty Custom Build
post #71 of 113 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
For those who want to see what a hole saw drill bit does to fingers.

14 stitches

Rusty Custom Build
post #72 of 113 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 07:42 PM

Quote:
For those who want to see what a hole saw drill bit does to fingers.

14 stitches
Well done! That looks like it hurt like the Dickens.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
445 FE Bronco likes this.

1995 BMW 540i
'79 SHTF Daily Build
post #73 of 113 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 08:16 PM

Bronco Info: 1978 Ranger XLT 351M / C6
I generally like to keep my fingers away from the spinny part
445 FE Bronco and mrbollero like this.

1978 Bronco XLT Ranger: 351M with Edelbrock intake, FAST EZ EFI 2.0, FAST dual sync dizzy, FAST E6 ignition box, Wild Horses Hydroboost and Sag pump kit, C6 Trans, Dana 44 front and 9" rear

Jim
post #74 of 113 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Wow, sorry guys, busy holiday for me. Fortunately I was able to find some time to work on the truck and get a few things done. Below are some before/after pics that I took a couple months ago, and I'll post more soon.

The big things that I've completed recently:
-Installed some aftermarket gauges so I know what's really happening.
-After flushing the coolant, the radiator sprouted leak after leak, so I went with a Champion radiator off of Ebay. It fit like a glove with the exception of one of the bolts that holds in part of the AC system, but it was no major problem. Truck runs perfectly now, stays right at 192 when hot, but of course the real tests will come in the summer.
-I replaced the pinion bearings on the 9" in the rear. This was a big-ish project for me as I'd never even removed a driveshaft. It went pretty smoothly though, and I used these two resources to help me out:
DIY Ford guide
-I had the old bald tires replaced with my new 33x10.5 BFGs- looks so much better! I was worried I wouldn't like skinnier tires, but I think it gives the truck a slightly leaner look, which I like. Will post pics of that soon.
-Re-attached the doors and used new door hinge pins from NPD so that they can be somewhat quickly removed and replaced.

The truck now runs and drives great- I'll be using it when the weather is decent.

Future projects:
-Front tires need a little toe alignment- one tire looks cockeyed slightly
-Working on a simple overhead console to hold a couple speakers and switches.
-Lots of work on the interior, including replacing the seats (I found a couple cheapies in good shape from the JY that I'll try to modify to fit), mounting speakers, etc
-Going to fab some 1/2 doors
-Build a tonneau cover
-Mount some door panels and bed-side panels
-The rear brakes may need a little work, but it's stopping fine right now. Going to keep my eye on them. Ordered new wheel cylinders just in case- pads are basically new
-Need to fix the venting behind the dash, as well as the selector as it doesn't seem to be diverting the air from defrost

Pic before tires:
Scoop and rossisnow like this.

Rusty Custom Build
post #75 of 113 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 06:35 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 1978 Round headlight, 351M,C6, 9", 44/1991, 445 FE, t19, 205, Dana 60/70, MAF, Moet's
Garage
Looking good, movi'n along.
mrbollero likes this.
post #76 of 113 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 02:13 AM
OX1
Fullsize Member

Quote:
Thanks guys.

The body is definitely got some rust issues. It's hard to see, but the driver's rear fender is just rusted away under the trim. Not as bad under the pass. side. The floor is also pretty rough- going to need new floor pans and some work in front of the back seat. Nothing too unexpected though.

That's definitely at the top of the list!

Could be the trailer special- it has a really thick sway bar on the back, but maybe that's standard. It has a lot of the original documentation in the glove box (I'll definitely take a picture of it), so I'll have to look at that more closely.
Nope, rear sway was not std. My first bronc, 78 custom with only option two-tone paint, had only front bar.
mrbollero likes this.

79 XLT, 400/C6/mog 404's/42 IROKS, 8.5" lift.
79 XLT, 400/C6/D60-D44 8 lug, 2" lift, 35 BFG AT
74 Bronc build, 408/C6/Black Box/205/406 mogs/43 SX stickies

post #77 of 113 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Took the BKO for a short spin tonight to test it on the interstate. No issues, but it did drip a noticeable amount of fluid from the AC drainage hose. My truck has the AC all installed but the belt isn't hooked up to the compressor. I ran heat the whole way and did put it on defrost for a few minutes just to fiddle with it, so I figure there might have been some condensation in there. If this isn't normal, let me know!

When I got to where I was going and got out I just had to take some pics. Not the best cause my phone sucks, but you get the idea.

Rusty Custom Build
post #78 of 113 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 09:58 AM
Redneck Engineer

Bronco Info: 79 Bronco Ranger XLT C6 35's
Looks great. Glad the test drive was good!
445 FE Bronco and mrbollero like this.
post #79 of 113 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 01:20 AM

Bronco Info: 1984 i6
Garage
How much did the liner spray set you back?

84 i6 DD
"El Jugo"
post #80 of 113 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by disturbio View Post
How much did the liner spray set you back?
Sorry for the delay- it was about $300 and it was actually a roll-on, not spray. Here's a link to the writeup I did if you want more info.
Painting with Monstaliner
disturbio likes this.

Rusty Custom Build

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 78 - 96 Build Forum....Builds only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode