79 Rusty Custom build - Page 5 - Ford Bronco Forum
 56Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 91 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1979 Custom 351m
Garage
Been another busy few weeks. Had to find a job since I'm finishing school in May. With that taken care of, I was able to get back to the truck this past weekend.

Two main projects- rear bed-side panels and half doors.
For the rear panels, I started with some posterboard and cut it to shape as closely as I could. I know that there are templates available on here, but I figured after I had spent the time and money to have them printed I could have just made some myself.

Used those templates to cut out both panels in 3/8" plywood, did plenty of test-fits and trims as needed (jigsaw came in very handy here). Then cut out holes for the speakers, which are little too low but they work, and did my best to drill holes in the panels that matched to the holes that held in the old cardboard panels.

All in all I'm happy with it, but I have to decide if I want to now use these wood panels as templates and create more permanent metal panels or just stick with the wood and risk breaking them or something.

2nd project- half doors. Only got started on this project this weekend.
Took my extra set of doors and pulled everything out/off of them.

I marked them with tape and then pretty much started cutting. It was pretty straightfoward, and the angle grinder did a great job. I'll need to do a lot of cleaning on the edges, but it's not too bad, and I'm going to round out the corners to make it look cleaner. I'm using half doors by a short-lived member named Seve (you can find pics here) for inspiration.

Next step is to pick up some angle-iron and then weld in some supports since they're flimsy without the top half. After that I'll either fiberglass or weld in the top portion and put them back together! More to come as I find the time.
huck2080 and 79BroncoSpringTx like this.

1979 Bronco Custom stock 351m, 33x10.5 BFG tires, Monstaliner paint job, work in progress!
Rusty Custom Build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Slow progress- not sure the doors are going to turn out as well as I'd hoped. The fiberglass is a lot more of a pain than I expected- probably would've been easier to use some 18 gauge metal and bend it into shape then spot weld it. If this doesn't work, then I'll start over and do that.

Found a set of replacement leaf springs (I have a broken leaf in each of my current springs) in a yard nearby and am going to be replacing them soon. Also planning to order a set of Rancho 9000's (on rebate now, plus they're not too bad at RockAuto) unless I change my mind and downgrade. Any thing else I should change while I'm under there? Any tricky issues with the shocks? I've pulled leaves and shocks at a yard before, but obviously I'll be much more careful on my own truck.

1979 Bronco Custom stock 351m, 33x10.5 BFG tires, Monstaliner paint job, work in progress!
Rusty Custom Build
post #83 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 08:02 AM
Resurection Ranch

Bronco Info: Blue Eyes,Black Stallion, Shadow & Filly
Look over the wedge real good. Did you grab the wedges with the yard leafs? These tend to break easily especially if you drop them or apply too much pressure in the dimple. Bushings for the leafs?

Rick
My Projects- "Left for Dead"
Filly

tidewaterbroncos@gmail.com (also on facebook)

post #84 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 379sinvb View Post
Look over the wedge real good. Did you grab the wedges with the yard leafs? These tend to break easily especially if you drop them or apply too much pressure in the dimple. Bushings for the leafs?
Ah, I didn't grab the wedges. The yard actually pulled them for me- it's one of those types of places. Should've asked them to. I've looked over the bushings and they look pretty decent, but I'll probably order some new ones and have them pressed in just in case. Thanks!

Rusty Custom Build
post #85 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Spent most of the weekend doing yard work to prepare for spring, but managed to get a couple things done.

Cleaned up the new springs with a wire brush, they look pretty good and seem to be in good shape. Planning to coat them with chassis saver and see how long that protects them.

Also finished fiberglassing the half doors. The results were... disappointing. I definitely saw this coming, but I was hoping for better. I should've realized the cloth wouldn't hold a flat shape, the gap is just too large for something like this, so the surface is all wavy and it would take a couple gallons of bondo to smooth it out. Luckily the doors are still salvageable- I can either cut out all the fiberglass and start over with metal, or, what I might experiment with, is putting foam over the top part where it's fiberglassed and wrapping that in some marine vinyl that I have that matches the cream color on the truck. Might be nice to have it cushioned to use as an arm rest. We'll see.

Rusty Custom Build
post #86 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 08:44 PM

Bronco Info: 1996 Eddie Bauer
Garage
Lotta work you're putting into this vehicle! That's awesome mrbollero keep it up.

post #87 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 11:48 PM

Bronco Info: 78 Bronco custom 400M C6
Garage
Dude I saw your truck this last weekend ha nice!
post #88 of 91 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:24 AM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 78 Custom, 84 Custom, 69 Half Cab, 74 Ranger - stock, 76 Trail Rig
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbollero View Post

Also finished fiberglassing the half doors. The results were... disappointing. I definitely saw this coming, but I was hoping for better. I should've realized the cloth wouldn't hold a flat shape, the gap is just too large for something like this, so the surface is all wavy and it would take a couple gallons of bondo to smooth it out. Luckily the doors are still salvageable- I can either cut out all the fiberglass and start over with metal, or, what I might experiment with, is putting foam over the top part where it's fiberglassed and wrapping that in some marine vinyl that I have that matches the cream color on the truck. Might be nice to have it cushioned to use as an arm rest. We'll see.
I would cut the fiberglass out and start over. You can use glued in foam to gap the area you are fiberglassing. Shape the foam with a hot knife or sand paper. When you have the shape you want paint the exposed foam with a water-based latex house paint. This seals the foam and allows you to fiberglass over the foam. Once the fiberglass has cured you can go back and melt the foam out with lacquer thinner or just leave the foam in place.
post #89 of 91 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
I would cut the fiberglass out and start over. You can use glued in foam to gap the area you are fiberglassing. Shape the foam with a hot knife or sand paper. When you have the shape you want paint the exposed foam with a water-based latex house paint. This seals the foam and allows you to fiberglass over the foam. Once the fiberglass has cured you can go back and melt the foam out with lacquer thinner or just leave the foam in place.
Dang. That's a much better idea- wish I had thought of that! I'm going to experiment to see what I come up with, but that will certainly be my backup. Luckily all the fiberglass stuff only cost like $25 dollars and really didn't take that long, so I'm not out too much either way. Thanks Scoop!

Rusty Custom Build
post #90 of 91 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Lotta work you're putting into this vehicle! That's awesome mrbollero keep it up.
It has been a lot of work, but it's definitely cooling off now! It's nice to be able to drive it and enjoy it and then do side projects for fun when time allows. My wife also appreciates that- and me not being covered up to my elbows in grease. Major projects left are fixing the parking brake, finishing those half doors, replacing the suspension, and taking out the fuel tank to check it and replace the leaking fuel nozzle hoses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassmaster656 View Post
Dude I saw your truck this last weekend ha nice!
Thanks guys! Bassmaster- were you driving through Fayetteville? It was probably parked at my house. Don't think I got a chance to drive it this weekend, so I took it to work today! I have a great view all day from my office!
79BroncoSpringTx and Fitzy like this.

Rusty Custom Build
post #91 of 91 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:36 PM
Redneck Engineer

Bronco Info: 79 Bronco Ranger XLT C6 35's
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbollero View Post
It has been a lot of work, but it's definitely cooling off now! It's nice to be able to drive it and enjoy it and then do side projects for fun when time allows. My wife also appreciates that- and me not being covered up to my elbows in grease. Major projects left are fixing the parking brake, finishing those half doors, replacing the suspension, and taking out the fuel tank to check it and replace the leaking fuel nozzle hoses.

Thanks guys! Bassmaster- were you driving through Fayetteville? It was probably parked at my house. Don't think I got a chance to drive it this weekend, so I took it to work today! I have a great view all day from my office!
Ahh! To be able to drive it! I envy you guys!
mrbollero likes this.

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 78 - 96 Build Forum....Builds only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode