Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

budget 84 i6 daily driver. Thread being fixed. Thanks photobucket

29K views 204 replies 24 participants last post by  disturbio 
#1 ·
I got an 84 i6 4x4 because that's what I wanted. My search for the right rig with the 4.9 and Ac ... well it was exhaustive, I don't know if they had automatic transmission with the 4.9 but I didn't want it. I didn't want anything too nice because I will tow with it, camp, do some trailing but nothing too crazy. I wanted a base model bullnose. After months of not finding what I wanted this beat old white bronco popped up and I overpaid for it but it literally was exactly what I wanted

Fairly shot interior, hardly any clear coat and dirty. Every accessory I wouldn't want was on her but she was the right girl in the wrong dress.

I bought her in March. Slowly I have been doing little things to her that she needed, I'll post some pics of my steps thus far but she has a ways to go. I've put 3k on her without a hiccup thus far but there are some issues to address.

Interior- The panels are present but beat and need reconditioned. The rubber floor is shot. The windows need tinting and it needs a headliner. Im in AZ and it's hot. Needs stereo, needs dash but I'm sporting a very 80s oxblood dash mat now to improve my view while driving.
It needs a new steering wheel and front seats. It needs a glove box lock and center console repaired. My windshield doesn't leak but it's all ****ed up around the seal and outer bezel.

Mechanical - I need an exhaust of some sort. The stock one has hot spo ts and stinks. I have either a small rear main or oil pan leak. The source of which I can't determine. She doesn't really eat much oil, but, over the course of a few minutes parked I'll see the first of a slow drip until she cools and pressures down. My stock head lights are super weak, the air filter and breather are a strange set up, I don't know what they look like stock but mines missing a bunch of stuff. The feedback carb stuff is removed I guess. The computer is all unplugged and the distributor is aftermarket. I don't have any real frame of reference as to what the previous owner had done to her, but she runs well enough so other than some maintenance and sanitary type things I'm not sure I'll mess with it too much. I have a power steering leak but not bad,

Looks wise I don't want anything too aggressive. I need tires and have 31 Yokohama geolanders now and want 33s but I think they are too wide for my stock 7 inch wheels. 32s maybe I dunno. It's got a lift. I see it says super lift but I don't know how high it is. Anybody with familiarity can chime in. I don't know.

I probably won't paint her. It's a truck. It's a driver

So I'm not a mechanic and don't have anything radical in mind but would like to tackle some of this stuff.....oh and I'm cheap so it's all going to be cheap too.

See less See more
#107 ·
Cover it with a pillow case for now. [/IMG]

Less ugly. The Matt I put down in the back is the same as the insides. Old matts from work. I painted tried like hell to clean the tailgate...Still looked beat so I painted in black with appliance paint then I sprayed undercoat over that. The Eastwood kind so it should stay on.

I changed the tailgate cables too

I even polished the stupid sill plate inside the back. Now I need to cover the ratty cardboard sides

#108 ·
Now what to do with the seats up front.... I like these

But that's not going to be cheap enuff for me. I'm open to suggestions.

I like leather... But sliding into a vinyl or leather seat where I live could lead to 3rd degree ballsack burns. Some type of fabric is ideal. Tomorrow I'll look at how bad the Of seats are under the covers....Still open to ideas

#109 ·
Reactions: disturbio and Scoop
#112 ·
I'm so close to Mexico I'm considering checking them out. I got my caddy done front and back seats recovered and new foam for 400 bucks

It was decent work for a solid price.
I sorta wish the back seat wasn't in such good shape. I feel the pressure to match it

#120 ·
I'm very please with them. I guess the only way to get something better is to take them to an upholstery shop. They have slots for the seatbelt and back release levers. They use velcro to secure the bottom, along with a drawstring around the bottom front and sides. The backs have loops sewn in and includes strings to fasten. The original cover shows on the backs of the bottom, so I may later on use the velcro strip to hang an gray apron over it. I'll post more pics later on my build thread, but here's before and after.

Reactions: disturbio
#130 ·
My door panels cleaned up nicely but the tops near the windows are rotten and the sun has eaten them away.

Now let me say I searched it already so the search police don't PM me

I didn't really see what people are doin to restore. I see it's common and replacements are available but I'm cheap

Any ideas?

I also wanted to know is there a way to sand off just the clear on the hood. Again I got more time than money. Found an orange hood that I can get for 70 bucks at the yard but then I'd have to rattle can it

Better than 2 spots of clear I got. I'd just clear the whole thing but it literally flakes off in the wind

#132 ·
My interior panels cleaned up nicely but the tops near the windows are rotten and the sun has eaten them away.

Now let me say I searched it already so the search police don't PM me

I didn't really see what people are doin to restore. I see it's common and replacements are available but I'm cheap

Any ideas?
Yeah, mine are like that too. I'm just going to clean them up as best I can and paint.

#138 ·
#143 ·
Junkyard dawg

I think in going to buy 05 Ford 500 seats I found at the yard. The hole you see is cause I pulled the edge up to see if it's really leather. The edges were, the ass part is not. I don't like the back bench not matching the front seats but there 150 bucks

This is some Googled pics that show what the whole seat looks like

Be nice to be able to adjust em too. I like lumbar support

I also saw a expidition or maybe explorer over head console I think could fit pretty easily

Then I drove around the old train track and the Colorado River since the junk yard is close

#149 ·
I know what you mean, I'm doin' things to mine I didn't plan on too! I think the seats will look nice in there. Let us know how they mount up and how the wiring goes. I would think you just need a fused power wire to hook it up, but I've never done it either.

#151 ·
I just think it's a neat option. I've seen those lights on older Chevys before.

I hurt my back so this slow refurb will be even slower now. When I do the seats I'll take a buncha pics. Im thinking of getting the same seat cover srwillis got for the back so it matches.

I like the looks of the back bumper on these years but there is nowhere to stand up on it besides the hitch. I think I may have found my "steps"...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.