budget 84 i6 daily driver. Amateur hour has arrived - Ford Bronco Forum
 136Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 182 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 01:27 AM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1984 i6
Garage
budget 84 i6 daily driver. Amateur hour has arrived

I got an 84 i6 4x4 because that's what I wanted. My search for the right rig with the 4.9 and Ac ... well it was exhaustive, I don't know if they had automatic transmission with the 4.9 but I didn't want it. I didn't want anything too nice because I will tow with it, camp, do some trailing but nothing too crazy. I wanted a base model bullnose. After months of not finding what I wanted this beat old white bronco popped up and I overpaid for it but it literally was exactly what I wanted

Fairly shot interior, hardly any clear coat and dirty. Every accessory I wouldn't want was on her but she was the right girl in the wrong dress.

I bought her in March. Slowly I have been doing little things to her that she needed, I'll post some pics of my steps thus far but she has a ways to go. I've put 3k on her without a hiccup thus far but there are some issues to address.

Interior- The panels are present but beat and need reconditioned. The rubber floor is shot. The windows need tinting and it needs a headliner. Im in AZ and it's hot. Needs stereo, needs dash but I'm sporting a very 80s oxblood dash mat now to improve my view while driving.
It needs a new steering wheel and front seats. It needs a glove box lock and center console repaired. My windshield doesn't leak but it's all ****ed up around the seal and outer bezel.

Mechanical - I need an exhaust of some sort. The stock one has hot spo ts and stinks. I have either a small rear main or oil pan leak. The source of which I can't determine. She doesn't really eat much oil, but, over the course of a few minutes parked I'll see the first of a slow drip until she cools and pressures down. My stock head lights are super weak, the air filter and breather are a strange set up, I don't know what they look like stock but mines missing a bunch of stuff. The feedback carb stuff is removed I guess. The computer is all unplugged and the distributor is aftermarket. I don't have any real frame of reference as to what the previous owner had done to her, but she runs well enough so other than some maintenance and sanitary type things I'm not sure I'll mess with it too much. I have a power steering leak but not bad,

Looks wise I don't want anything too aggressive. I need tires and have 31 Yokohama geolanders now and want 33s but I think they are too wide for my stock 7 inch wheels. 32s maybe I dunno. It's got a lift. I see it says super lift but I don't know how high it is. Anybody with familiarity can chime in. I don't know.

I probably won't paint her. It's a truck. It's a driver

So I'm not a mechanic and don't have anything radical in mind but would like to tackle some of this stuff.....oh and I'm cheap so it's all going to be cheap too.
pinkunr and dash_cam like this.

84 i6 DD
"El Jugo"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 182 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 01:34 AM Thread Starter

Garage

The floor is gross but my cheapness won't let me buy a carpet kit so I pulled it up, no rust<be> I super 77 it back down and am using 3m under waiting to cover the cracks. I'm almost done cleaning and repainting it with vinyl paint I already had in a similar color to the OG red

Test spot here. It looks okay.
dash_cam likes this.

84 i6 DD
"El Jugo"

Last edited by disturbio; 06-15-2016 at 01:36 AM. Reason: Spelling
post #3 of 182 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 01:50 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I already pulled all the 80s jc Whitney accessories off.
Goodbye push bar and tow hooks.
<BR>
It was tough looking. Bit ugly though

No more spare holder either
<BR>
Took care of some interior pieces. My 4 buck eBay leather steering wheel cover will keep me from sourcing another wheel that someone didn't chew on

Found a latch and the center console at the bone yard. 15 bucks!

Chipping away at it.
dash_cam likes this.

84 i6 DD
"El Jugo"

post #4 of 182 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 02:20 AM Thread Starter

Garage

Got my stereo in but didn't take any pics because it's fugly yet functional. It was an old head unit I had and as luck would have it it plugged right up to the pioneer 90s stereo that was in there even though this is a JVC. Sticking to my guns in cheap
dash_cam likes this.

84 i6 DD
"El Jugo"
post #5 of 182 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 08:08 AM

Bronco Info: 1984 351 (Looking for it)
Garage
I actually like the push bar. That truck looks brand new if you ask me! I'll be following this one.

Looking for dad's 1984 (Sold in 2004)
post #6 of 182 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 08:26 AM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 78 Custom, 84 Custom, 74 Ranger - stock, 76 Trail Rig
Garage
Cool truck! It's very close to being my 84's twin! Only factory differences I see are mine has black trim on the rockers and a bench seat and I don't have a tach. Same base Bronco version with vinyl floor mats. You'll like it - I'm having a blast with mine.
disturbio likes this.
post #7 of 182 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 08:58 AM

Bronco Info: 1981 Bronco, 4.9L, T18, NP208
Very nice find disturbio! I like it. Thanks for sharing 'er with us and keep us posted on your progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disturbio View Post
I have either a small rear main or oil pan leak. The source of which I can't determine. She doesn't really eat much oil, but, over the course of a few minutes parked I'll see the first of a slow drip until she cools and pressures down.
Just a thought, you might want to check the PCV system. If it's not working right it could cause some leaks. But with trucks as old as ours it's most likely seals or gaskets.
disturbio likes this.
post #8 of 182 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 10:27 AM

Bronco Info: 1983 Bronco XLT 351W/C6
Good looking rig, I like the push bar! 20 years ago I would have tossed it, but love period correct bolt ons now...
disturbio likes this.
post #9 of 182 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
Cool truck! It's very close to being my 84's twin! Only factory differences I see are mine has black trim on the rockers and a bench seat and I don't have a tach. Same base Bronco version with vinyl floor mats. You'll like it - I'm having a blast with mine.
It funny cause I lurked on here for a few months and read your whole thread.... I thought, that's the truck I want.

84 i6 DD
"El Jugo"
post #10 of 182 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Garage
What is the PCV system exactly entail

84 i6 DD
"El Jugo"
post #11 of 182 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I don't hate it, if it were a little less massive. I know I'm probably alone on the subject but I always preferred 80-86 ford front and the push bar certainly hides a bit of it.

[URL=http://s8.photobucket.com/user/CTMALES/media/IMAG3335_zpsi1wxiqdl.jpg.html][/URL

VS.

I prefer the cleaner look
sackman9975, Sloride75 and Booma like this.

84 i6 DD
"El Jugo"

Last edited by disturbio; 06-15-2016 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Spelling
post #12 of 182 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 10:55 AM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 78 Custom, 84 Custom, 74 Ranger - stock, 76 Trail Rig
Garage
Quote:
It funny cause I lurked on here for a few months and read your whole thread.... I thought, that's the truck I want.
Awesome! Good to know somebody actually reads the threads and that it maybe even inspires someone!! Yours looks to be in better overall condition than the one I started with. Mine leaked EVERYWHERE! It's in the shop now getting a new rear pinion seal and bearing.

I prefer the cleaner look too!
locopny and disturbio like this.
post #13 of 182 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 02:07 PM

Quote:
What is the PCV system exactly entail
Positive Crankcase Ventilation. It consists (on my 81 300 six anyway) of a vacuum line from the manifold that runs to the PCV valve on the rear of the valve cover. This pulls vacuum through the oil breather cap on the front of the valve cover (that you remove to add oil) which has a hose that runs to the air cleaner housing where it connects to a filter.

PCV valves can stick closed, or it may not be hooked up at all. Without the vacuum it provides, there may be pressure buildup in the motor, causing it to push oil out of weak gaskets and seals. May not be the case, but something to check.
post #14 of 182 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by illis View Post
Positive Crankcase Ventilation. It consists (on my 81 300 six anyway) of a vacuum line from the manifold that runs to the PCV valve on the rear of the valve cover. This pulls vacuum through the oil breather cap on the front of the valve cover (that you remove to add oil) which has a hose that runs to the air cleaner housing where it connects to a filter.

PCV valves can stick closed, or it may not be hooked up at all. Without the vacuum it provides, there may be pressure buildup in the motor, causing it to push oil out of weak gaskets and seals. May not be the case, but something to check.
Mine maybe mostly gone. Got any pics?

84 i6 DD
"El Jugo"
post #15 of 182 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 06:10 PM

Mine doesn't show good with the air cleaner on it. Here's one I swiped off the net. It's an earlier version, but I think it will give you an idea what to look for. Where the blue hose comes off the top left side of the valve cover is where the PCV valve is. This one is straight metal where mine and probably yours is a plastic 90 degree ell (mine has a smaller connection also). You can see where it ties into the manifold for vacuum. On the other end of the valve cover is the breather cap. You can see the 90 degree fitting on it. That should have a hose connected to it that connects to the breather element in the air cleaner housing. If you have an aftermarket air cleaner, you could use an aftermarket breather cap without the hose connection that has holes on the bottom side where it would draw air in.

It's hard to see, but if you follow the hose from the PCV valve, you can see where mine was originally connected below the carb.

HTH, if not I can take my air cleaner off and get a couple better pics. Or if someone else has some, please share!
disturbio likes this.
post #16 of 182 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 06:30 PM

Bronco Info: 1996 EB, 351w, basically stock. 1981 custom 351m, long gone.
Garage
looks good! post up some pics of the lift. if it's a 4" lift you can easily get 33" tires in there.
disturbio likes this.

it's fun to do bad things

my "build" thread
post #17 of 182 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_cam View Post
looks good! post up some pics of the lift. if it's a 4" lift you can easily get 33" tires in there.
Discount tire wouldn't o it on my stock 7 inch rim.

pinkunr and dash_cam like this.

84 i6 DD
"El Jugo"
post #18 of 182 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRWillis View Post
Mine doesn't show good with the air cleaner on it. Here's one I swiped off the net. It's an earlier version, but I think it will give you an idea what to look for. Where the blue hose comes off the top left side of the valve cover is where the PCV valve is. This one is straight metal where mine and probably yours is a plastic 90 degree ell (mine has a smaller connection also). You can see where it ties into the manifold for vacuum. On the other end of the valve cover is the breather cap. You can see the 90 degree fitting on it. That should have a hose connected to it that connects to the breather element in the air cleaner housing. If you have an aftermarket air cleaner, you could use an aftermarket breather cap without the hose connection that has holes on the bottom side where it would draw air in.

It's hard to see, but if you follow the hose from the PCV valve, you can see where mine was originally connected below the carb.

HTH, if not I can take my air cleaner off and get a couple better pics. Or if someone else has some, please share!
I think mine may be all hooked up but I don't know what the PO cut off. Lots of Rigery here. Something went on the air filter to the snorkel too. I haven't seen a stock set up bit I have empty holes and cut wiring everywhere. My brother said I needed a duraspark set up, bit when he saw the truck he said what the PO did was similar. I know the carb is a stock 1 Barrell because I can see the part number on it... who knows really

She runs well.... makes me apprehensive and scared to mess with it

84 i6 DD
"El Jugo"
post #19 of 182 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 12:18 AM

Bronco Info: 1984 351 (Looking for it)
Garage
Quote:
I don't hate it, if it were a little less massive. I know I'm probably alone on the subject but I always preferred 80-86 ford front and the push bar certainly hides a bit of it.
*picture1*

VS.

*picture 2*

I prefer the cleaner look
I can certainly agree on the 80-86 front. By far the best bodystyle for the Bronco IMO. I have a love of period correct mods, but seeing both pics, I kinda have to agree it looks a little better without it.
disturbio likes this.

Looking for dad's 1984 (Sold in 2004)
post #20 of 182 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 01:43 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I got a 43 dollar Chinese billet grill and some clear parking lights. Polished up grill surrounds a bit, polished up the bumper too but she needs more elbow grease and a better cutting polish. But the 50 bucks investment don't look bad!

84 i6 DD
"El Jugo"

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 78 - 96 Build Forum....Builds only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode