Free OJ (Gofast Build) - Ford Bronco Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1989 XLT 5.8 C6 C&T Coilovers Bypasses 35s Methods PRPs
Garage
Free OJ (Gofast Build)

Figured it was time to migrate my build thread over from GoFast since im laid up for a few days, so here goes. Picked up the Bronco for $3500 from a guy I know with a rebuilt 351, c6, axles, and t case (manual) body was pretty solid for the most part save for a couple small holes by the drip rails. other than that, the back window didn't work, the 32s were rotten and way too small for my liking, and a bunch of other things I didn't care for, but it was a good foundation to build off of.

First night I brought it home. It rained heavy all week, back window didnít work, but the thing fired right up and ran good. Normally Iím thorough with purchases but I showed up grabbed the keys, drove it around the block, gave the dude the money and left.

A couple pictures in the day time

I drove it to King of the Hammers as it sat when I brought it home, rotted 32s and a bunch of other stuff that needed some serious attention, but it made it there and back, even if it was sketchy.

MADE IT

Some time went by and I worked too much to spend time on the truck but since I work all over for work I started collecting parts for it as I went. A week working down in Vista/Oceanside gave me the chance to score some PRPs for DIRT CHEAP as well as some pretty solid Deaver F53s.

The stock interior was pretty blown out, aside from the dash which is somehow mint. So I began gutting the truck since I was going to be back and forth between Chicago and home most of the next 3 months.

1989 XLT 5.8 C6 Threat C&T, Solo Radius Arms, Bilsteins, PRPs, 35s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Then it was on to getting the PRPs mounted and in. Elected to use some leftover angle iron to adapt the PRPs to the stock sliders, it was a piece of cake!

post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Threat Motorsports C&T

Solo Motorsports Radius Arms

35" General Red Labels

Finished Product

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 10:31 PM

Bronco Info: white 1993 Ford Bronco 4X4 5.0
Looks good, man. Subscribing for future progress.

'93 XLT;5.0 V8;E4OD With Sonnax SureShift; 2.5" RC lift; 33x12.5 BFG AT KO2s; 4.56s; Truetrac; Warn Premiums; Flowmaster Super 40 muffler; Sag swap; Redhead steering box

If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape. If it should move and it won't, use WD-40.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 11:05 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 86 XLT w/ 5.0 & WR AOD, factory 4.10's, 31x10.5
Looks good. Interesting color combo, not sure I've seen that one before.

Edit:. Is there a functional reason you went with the respective Threat and Solo parts, or was it just what you were able to get a deal on?
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 12:37 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Picture of the finished product next to the cherry 94 my buddy matt just picked up

Cobra07 and 445 FE Bronco like this.

post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 12:45 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloride75 View Post
Looks good. Interesting color combo, not sure I've seen that one before.

Edit:. Is there a functional reason you went with the respective Threat and Solo parts, or was it just what you were able to get a deal on?
no reason as far as function. Dave at Threat and Bobby and Paul at Solo both do top notch work. At the time I did the cut and turn Dave had a one day turn around time, hes about an hour from me, and not open weekends, plus I was working a job about 3 hours away so I couldn't get down there during the week. bought some pulled beams from a dude on GoFast who was nice enough to drop them with Dave for me. Ive wanted a nice set of radius arms like that, but thought I could make some cheapo superlifts ones work, but they only work with a drop bracket kit so I just shelled out the cash for the radius arms.

hindsight being 20/20, I should have just bought a complete kit from either one and been done with it instead of trial and error of sourcing everything myself and dealing with stuff that ended up not working, all good though it was a great learning experience as ive been into crawlers in the past and have yet to own a TTB truck I had to do anything to myself
Sloride75 likes this.

post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 12:46 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsquiggles View Post
Looks good, man. Subscribing for future progress.
thank you!

post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 08:33 AM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 91 Bronco w/ 5.0 L V8, Auto w/ E40D
Garage
Looks like you've got an excellent ride going there. I do have one concern about the extended radius arms and that is how the shocks are bolted to it. Two concerns actually now that I think about it. My first concern is the tabs used to connect the shock look a little flimsy just sticking off to the side of the arm like that. Maybe if the tab were extended down to the lower tube, I wouldn't say anything, but my other concern has me worried that those tabs could eventually snap. That second concern is how the tabs are oriented, perpendicular to the arc of travel for the arm. The way they are, those shocks are going to bind on the tabs, and that could eventually twist them free, or worse, bend the shock arm. Tabs can be rewelded, but if the shock arm gets bent, you're out of luck. If you look how the shock is mounted on a stock radius arm, you'll see that the tabs are mounted above the arm and parallel to the arc of movement, allowing the arm and shock to rotate as needed. Now, I may be worried about nothing, but it does have me worried about the long term viability of the setup. As I said, the tabs could be re-welded after being repositioned, but I wouldn't have used those radius arms if they'd been given to me for free for that reason.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7332.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	215.4 KB
ID:	84377  

1991 Bronco w/ 5.0L V8, Auto w/ E40D trans, factory spare tire rack, factory limited slip diff, dual batteries, custom air intake, 8K lb. winch, tactical seat covers, drop down TV w/ CD/DVD player, 31's on stock suspension, roof baskets, new injectors, rear bumper w/ tire rack, 33" Goodyear Wranglers, 2" suspension lift.

To Do List: paint,
My BKO build: Project Farmhand
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFBronco235 View Post
Looks like you've got an excellent ride going there. I do have one concern about the extended radius arms and that is how the shocks are bolted to it. Two concerns actually now that I think about it. My first concern is the tabs used to connect the shock look a little flimsy just sticking off to the side of the arm like that. Maybe if the tab were extended down to the lower tube, I wouldn't say anything, but my other concern has me worried that those tabs could eventually snap. That second concern is how the tabs are oriented, perpendicular to the arc of travel for the arm. The way they are, those shocks are going to bind on the tabs, and that could eventually twist them free, or worse, bend the shock arm. Tabs can be rewelded, but if the shock arm gets bent, you're out of luck. If you look how the shock is mounted on a stock radius arm, you'll see that the tabs are mounted above the arm and parallel to the arc of movement, allowing the arm and shock to rotate as needed. Now, I may be worried about nothing, but it does have me worried about the long term viability of the setup. As I said, the tabs could be re-welded after being repositioned, but I wouldn't have used those radius arms if they'd been given to me for free for that reason.
I'm not worried about it. Plenty of people abuse their rigs more than I plan to and have had zero problem with Solo's stuff. They've been in the game a long time.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 12:19 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1995
X2 solo has a great reputation in so-cal for building pre-runners and race trucks. There is no way they would build something weak or at risk of another part failure.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 04:19 PM

Bronco Info: 1996, 351W, E4OD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95bronco12 View Post
X2 solo has a great reputation in so-cal for building pre-runners and race trucks. There is no way they would build something weak or at risk of another part failure.
I've been looking into Solo Motorsports. They are near my home.

Frank
1996 Ford Bronco XLT
2001 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra
2003 Suzuki LT-Z400
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 04:24 PM

Bronco Info: 93 XLT Stock as of now
The stock shock mount is not parallel to the arc of travel of the beams. Maybe on a solid axle it would. Don't forget the TTB pivots from the center of the beam as well as the rear radius arm mount. You have to draw an imaginary line between the two to see the arc where it travels. Now that the radius arms are a lot longer there is a lot less angle change in that direction making it actually a better placement than stock. I've installed these radius arms on a customers bronco and those tabs are beefy thick plate. They are not going anywhere. With a longer shock you have to mount it lower or you lose bump travel. Generic lift kits that get put on will bottom out on the shock body if you don't lower the bump stops along with it. Now you just took a few inches out of your travel numbers.

-Travis
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 05:15 PM

Bronco Info: 1978 4x4 460 4 speed on 40" tires
Garage
Very nice looking rig there. Subscribed for updates.

1978 Bronco Ranger XLT Blue and White (Sig pic is on little tires to fit in the garage)
460-T19-NP205 40 inch tires on 16.5 wheels
Work in progress: Hydraulic clutch conversion (Done), 4 wheel disc brakes(done), front and rear bumpers with winches, spare tire carrier, reinstall gas tank, all new fuel line, interior panels, new seats, on board storage, wet sand paint...
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigzirb View Post
Very nice looking rig there. Subscribed for updates.
thanks man, im lovin it so far

post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So I've been trying to drive the bronco as much as possible but have been plagued my stupid drivability issues. From my research im getting all sorts of answers but no CEL to confirm any of them. Long story short po did a lot of hack stuff and the speed density system is something ive yet to master, considering switching over to maf so I can mod the engine a little heavier without having to worry about it.

short vacuum lines are all pretty much toast so when I get some free time id like to go through and replace them all with some 5/32 rubber hose, truck is a desert toy and im also toying with deleting a lot of the stuff, especially since the charcoal can is missing. any help thoughts comments and suggestions are welcome, except I know a lot of people on here are anti removing emissions stuff "because federal law", if youre one of those, keep your comments to yourself, I promise I don't care.

post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by elpancho View Post
I've been looking into Solo Motorsports. They are near my home.

you should spend the money with them! bobby and paul are great, sure theyre expensive but when you see the parts quality and think about how much r&d has gone into everything they sell, its worth every penny.
Cobra07 and elpancho like this.

post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Long story short, I was browsing the internet and somebody messed up the price listed for these methods, it was like they forgot to add a 1 in front of the 69.99 they had them listed for. I quickly ordered a set for barely more than the cost of one wheel at is normal price.

445 FE Bronco likes this.

post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 03:08 AM

you got a great looking bronco, pal. any new updates?
S00TLYFE likes this.
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Picked up these coilovers last week, gonna build/buy something from either threat or solo to mount them, the rear bypasses are direct bolt on.

2.5x12 front
2.5x10 rear.

Also pulled the rear bumper and started punching out the rivets so I could make some space to clearance the bottom of the Bronco for these longer BMS shackles to run with my F53s

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 78 - 96 Build Forum....Builds only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode