Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

My "half a bronco" (78 or 79?)

3K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  BikerPepe` 
#1 ·
My craigslist notifier popped up with a 78 bronco for sale. It had one picture and almost no details. But one line caught my eye, it said "Comes with 'half a bronco'". I had an idea what it might be, a trailer made from the back half of a bronco. Texted the phone number and asked for pics. Yup, it was just that. Long story short, I ended up checking it out and they sold it to me. Pintle hitch and all.

Not sure if its a 78 or 79. It's listed on title as 2004 Home Made Box Utility.

The guy that made it did some pretty good quality fab work. Bondo work not so much. He built it to take off-roading with.

He has it wired with a switch inside for the glass, so he could operate it from inside. Also has inside and outside work lights. The trailer has it's own battery (which connects to tow vehicle as well for charging). He kept the fuel tank in working order and has an electric fuel pump installed with a switch to turn it on up by the battery. There is coiled up fuel hose in a container next to the battery that is used for filling up quad or transferring fuel to tow vehicle. The back bumper hides a fold down jack so that rear can be supported along with the tongue jack. He said the pinion was blocked off and the diff is intact otherwise.

He also used the front marker lamps and trim off the donor Bronco and modified them to fit the trailer. There is an issue with the light wiring right now though, so I had to bring it home with tow lights zip tied to it.

Anyways, I don't have much plans for it other than maybe the occasional home depot or dump runs. I just couldn't pass it up. Probably won't see another one later, and I don't think I could make my own. Eventually I do plan to "restore" it enough to match my 79, but the 79 comes first. So along with it being half a Bronco, this will be half a build thread. :histerica

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I paid $300 for it. Don't know if it's technically a good deal, but for me it is since I doubt I'll come across many others in the future, and I know $300 is more than worth it for me to attempt to build my own. :)

#5 ·
Very cool! I think you got a steal on it, considering the way it's set up. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it and seeing it hooked up to your 79.

#7 ·
That's really cool! I'd love to build a matching one for my bronco. I think I would add a locking window from a truck topper to the front of it, that way you could get inside of it if the rear window ever failed

#12 ·
In case anyone stumbles across this thread in the future...

I no longer own this awesomeness. Life plans change and along with changing careers, I'm also moving and can't take it with me. I ended up selling it to another FSB member, so it will have a good home and may appear on FSB in another thread some day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.