LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 114 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
ate lug

Bronco Info: 88 Bronco/96 Bronco/96 F250
Garage
[OFF TOPIC]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 445 FE Bronco View Post
I am on the fence of where to go with my D60, Chevy / Dodge or Ford outers?
Since youre asking, that must mean its a kingpin axle. Ford calipers look to me to be bigger than the chevy ones. The Chevy kingpin knuckles are the strongest but the tierod will be lower to the ground. The Fords are just find if you gusset the knuckles. Reid Racing's D60 knuckles are based off of the Chevy D60 knuckle. Inner C's are all pretty much the same. I don't know anyone who bothers with the Dodge stuff unless they have a dodge. I couldn't even tell you the last time I saw a Dodge D60.
[/OFF TOPIC]

I have an absolute shitload of parts piled up the garage. Looks like everything as arrived. If the weather holds, I should begin disassembling the parts truck tomorrow
445 FE Bronco likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 114 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
ate lug

Garage
TTB Knuckles/chevy brake brackets blasted, primed and painted

So that pretty much wraps up the parts gathering for the front end. So now to move on to the parts truck....
post #23 of 114 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
ate lug

Garage
Yesterday I pulled the drive shafts & tcase, then pulled the front clip, and yanked out the motor/trans

Hoping I can sell the C6/BW1356.

That's enough for one day...

So today I pushed it onto the yard, then winched it up onto the trailer

Stripped the whole front end. Saved the front 3rd for the bronco, planning on selling the hubs/spindles/etc

Then moved on to the rear

10.25 out

then stole the steering wheel, steering box & pitman arm, and off to the scrapyard she goes

All told, pretty productive over the past two days, if I do say so myself

post #24 of 114 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 07:12 PM
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Bronco Info: 1992 xlt, 351EFI, .040, E4OD, D44 SAS w/Trutrac,Detroit locked 8.8, MAF conv, Tweeced
Garage
man you've been busy..
post #25 of 114 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
ate lug

Garage
Yeah it has been a busy week, that's for sure. May have overdone it a bit? Im pretty sure I pulled a muscle in my hand, cant move it too well today

It looks like a bomb went off in the garage, so the plan for the next day or two is to simply clean up and organize.
post #26 of 114 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 02:52 PM
FSB/Pirate addict

Bronco Info: 1986 XLT: D60 Leaf SAS, 14B, Elocker/Detroit, 37's, ORD Magnum, Triple stick
Garage
Are you going to keep the drums on the sterling or swap to disks?
post #27 of 114 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
ate lug

Garage
Staying drum. Why? Cuz theyre massive No seriously, this rear is damn near identical to the one in my diesel, and the brakes in that truck are awesome. Paired with a one-ton master & booster (both on order), the stock 10.25 brakes work great.

Speaking of which, I brought the rear into the garage to pop a drum off, and check condition of brakes. Needed to see if it had the 2" or 3" shoes, condition of hardware etc. The drum didn't come off too well, but once it did come off, I was greeted with this:

New brakes! The wheel cylinders look like death from the outside so they'll be getting replaced, but the shoes (3") & all hardware are all damn near new

So this is where I left off for the weekend:

10.25 ready to be stripped, and the front 3rd waiting for a chance to be degreased. Hope to start prepping both of these tomorrow morning after work.
BroncoJoe96 likes this.
post #28 of 114 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 12:09 PM
No avatar required

Bronco Info: Mods don't have Broncos silly
Quote:
Originally Posted by reptillikus View Post
Parts truck!

Now that I have the 305s im considering ordering the 1.5-2" coils bronco graveyard sells, and rummaging through my spring pile to find a way to lift the rear to match. We'll see...
I have a set of 2" blocks and B code SD springs I never installed on the Excursion.

95 XLT Stock
post #29 of 114 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 05:50 PM
FSB/Pirate addict

Bronco Info: 1986 XLT: D60 Leaf SAS, 14B, Elocker/Detroit, 37's, ORD Magnum, Triple stick
Garage
[QUOTE=reptillikus;6335169][OFF TOPIC]
Since youre asking, that must mean its a kingpin axle. Ford calipers look to me to be bigger than the chevy ones.
[/OFF TOPIC]

More off topic, I found some info on the sizes calipers:
Chevy JB6 - standard K20 piston surface area: 6.76 in^2
Chevy JB7 - HD K20 calipers piston surface area: 7.77 in^2 (fits same caliper bracket)
Chevy 1 ton Dana 60 piston surface area: 8.95 in^2
Ford Dana 60 dual piston: 7.46in^2

This still isn't taking into account of the different rotor sizes, however the dual piston Ford caliper would be more evenly balanced over all the single piston Chevy calipers. AFAIK the Ford 1 ton and Chevy 3/4 rotors are almost identical in dimensions.

Anyway Rep, Hijack over... back to the real tech!
post #30 of 114 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 06:06 PM

Good Luck, that looks fun
post #31 of 114 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 06:09 PM

Bronco Info: 1981 Ranger XLT, I6/SROD/NP208, manual hubs, 275k+
Garage
This certainly may be just rumor, but I've always heard that if the wheel cylinders get brake fluid all over the shoes, the fluid ruins the shoe material and the shoes should be replaced too

Tough to kill an old six
post #32 of 114 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
ate lug

Garage
Ive heard this as well. Fortunately they are not leaking Im replacing them because the brake lines & bleeders are rotted; no way theyre coming out.

Salvaged the ubolt plates, and the oem blocks from the F250. Got em blasted at work, now sitting i a fresh coat of primer.

Pulled the massive sway bar off the 10.25. Going to clean it up and save it, but not planning on installing it; just keeping it in case i want it later on.

Got the rear needle-scaled, wire wheeled, and painted too
Ignore the rusty diff cover, thatll be getting replaced with a new one when the axle goes in.

I was gonna start cleaning the front diff, when i remembered we have a bigass parts washer with agitator at work, so im bringing that in to soak all night while im at work

Tomorrow a couple buddies are coming by after work, and we're going to bring the bronco up from its space in the stones, to the garage door so i can yank whats left of the motor, and then bring the truck inside for the rebuild
post #33 of 114 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
ate lug

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnkrtstk View Post
I have a set of 2" blocks and B code SD springs I never installed on the Excursion.
innnnteresting. PM sent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booma View Post

More off topic, I found some info on the sizes calipers:
Chevy JB6 - standard K20 piston surface area: 6.76 in^2
Chevy JB7 - HD K20 calipers piston surface area: 7.77 in^2 (fits same caliper bracket)
Chevy 1 ton Dana 60 piston surface area: 8.95 in^2
Ford Dana 60 dual piston: 7.46in^2

This still isn't taking into account of the different rotor sizes, however the dual piston Ford caliper would be more evenly balanced over all the single piston Chevy calipers. AFAIK the Ford 1 ton and Chevy 3/4 rotors are almost identical in dimensions.

Anyway Rep, Hijack over... back to the real tech!
This is good info My donor axle is JD6 brakes. The JD7 calipers/pads are noticeably bigger. They didnt look interchangeable to me, now ill have to look into it some more. Sucks, i already threw away the boxes for my calipers. My new (one-ton) booster showed up this morning, matching master cylinder should be here in a couple days.

The 3/4 ton & one-ton chevy/ford rotors are interchangeable. Theyre the same size but the chevy rotor also has vents in the hub whereas the Ford rotor is solid.
post #34 of 114 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 02:46 AM
FSB/Pirate addict

Garage
Quote:
This is good info My donor axle is JD6 brakes. The JD7 calipers/pads are noticeably bigger. They didnt look interchangeable to me, now ill have to look into it some more. Sucks, i already threw away the boxes for my calipers. My new (one-ton) booster showed up this morning, matching master cylinder should be here in a couple days.

The 3/4 ton & one-ton chevy/ford rotors are interchangeable. Theyre the same size but the chevy rotor also has vents in the hub whereas the Ford rotor is solid.
That's good to know the rotors are interchangeable if I don't like the JB7 stuff on the front of my 60.

If I was anywhere near the truck I would grab the caliper brackets and see if they're different. I ordered from https://lugnut4x4.com/ and there doesn't seem to be any difference in caliper brackets on the front depending on caliper. You can order the kit with JB6 or JB7 calipers. I would ASSume that they would be interchangeable. I can tell you from looking at the calipers side by side they look identical.

Billavista had the differences in calipers pointed out in his second 14 bolt disk brake article, but it looks like the only difference is the raised ring around where the brake line bolts up. Maybe it would take some grinding to get them to fit if they didn't already.
BillaVista.com-14-Bolt Disc Brakes V2 Tech Article by BillaVista
post #35 of 114 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 04:10 AM Thread Starter
ate lug

Garage
Quote:

Billavista had the differences in calipers pointed out in his second 14 bolt disk brake article, but it looks like the only difference is the raised ring around where the brake line bolts up. Maybe it would take some grinding to get them to fit if they didn't already.
BillaVista.com-14-Bolt Disc Brakes V2 Tech Article by BillaVista
I bought my calipers from Auto zone. The 6s & 7s did not look alike at all. Maybe they pulled the wrong calipers off the shelf.
post #36 of 114 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 07:14 AM
OX1
Fullsize Member

Quote:
I bought my calipers from Auto zone. The 6s & 7s did not look alike at all. Maybe they pulled the wrong calipers off the shelf.
LOOKIN GOOD, nice to be young........

I don't recall part numbers, but I bought a pair of the larger chebbie calipers for one of the mog axles
(by accident, but figure they might work better in front) There was no way they were going to fit.

Pin mounting was identical, but the caliper bracket, which obviously was a custom part, did not
have enough space around bore, which was bigger by a decent amount, IIRC.

79 XLT, 400/C6/mog 404's/42 IROKS, 8.5" lift.
79 XLT, 400/C6/D60-D44 8 lug, 2" lift, 35 BFG AT
74 Bronc build, 408/C6/Black Box/205/406 mogs/43 SX stickies

post #37 of 114 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 02:53 PM
FSB/Pirate addict

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1 View Post

Pin mounting was identical, but the caliper bracket, which obviously was a custom part, did not
have enough space around bore, which was bigger by a decent amount, IIRC.
Pin mounting being the same, This is where I didn't account for my custom brackets having more clearance around the entire caliper where stockers do not

I keep buying more parts and forgetting exactly what I have

I did however email the vendor I bought the brakes from asking him to break down the differences between the two calipers and will post up here when I hear back.
post #38 of 114 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 05:11 PM
FSB/Pirate addict

Garage
Quote:
I did however email the vendor I bought the brakes from asking him to break down the differences between the two calipers and will post up here when I hear back.
I emailed back and forth with Shawn @ Lugnut4x4 about some differences between the calipers.

"The caliper pin spacing is the same. My bracket will fit either one. I have changed my website so the default is the JB7 caliper for the front kits now. If I remember right the difference is about 1/4 in piston size."

This would explain why I can fit either caliper but since the OEM caliper brackets are different, would make it more work to fit a JB7 caliper on a bracket that originally came with JB6 brakes.

This cleared up some confusion for me and I feel really dumb for not thinking about the differences in brackets
post #39 of 114 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
ate lug

Garage
Its all good. I already have the JB6 calipers and brackets so that's what im gonna run with. Im sure itll be plenty of braking power for this truck.

So I got the front 3rd cleaned & painted. Also of note is the drain plug I added. New seals for it sitting on the work bench, which ill slap in once I start putting it all together.

Got delayed by yesterday's freak snowstorm, so this morning we got the bronco moved from her resting place up to the driveway

Looks like tomorrow im going to bnkrtstk's to grab those rear leafs from him, and then hopefully Monday I can pull whats left of the 302 out of the truck, and then bring her inside so the rebuild can begin
BikerPepe` likes this.
post #40 of 114 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 09:47 AM
No avatar required

Bronco Info: Mods don't have Broncos silly
It was great catching up with you, it felt like old times rummaging in the garage for parts.

95 XLT Stock

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 78 - 96 Build Forum....Builds only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode