Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

78 Bronco Resto-Mod, 460 AOD NP205 - My First Build

10K views 30 replies 8 participants last post by  captainpicard300 
#1 ·
So I finally got over the 30 post limit to start a thread here and I am going to bring over my build thread from the "introductions" section to here (seems only right).

I acquired the Bronco in October of 2014 from my cousin, and I do work on it there in his barn. He lives a bout 2 hours away so i cannot work on the Bronco every day.

The starting Point:
1978 Bronco, 390 V8, C6 transmission, NP203 transfer case with full time hubs. Lots of rust in the body panels, but solid floors with minimal if any rust.

Goals:
1. Daily Driver, but a "cool" one :--)
2. 460 V8 with FiTech EFI setup
3. AOD Automatic OD transmission swap (for improved highway performance)
4. NP205 transfer case
5. Mild lift (2" body lift probably)
6. 33" General Grabber AT2 tires on Ultra 164 rims (Already have these: If I had it to do over, I might get Raceline Raptor rims with Wrangler Duratrac tires, still 33")
7. Ford Green Gem Metallic paint (solid color, not two tone)

Here is a before picture:

Here is where I am headed, generally, minus the paint:

Here is the ink to the build thrad in the "Introductions" section:
http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/18-introductions/333441-new-78-resto-project.html

See less See more
#2 ·
Progress So Far

Here is what I accomplished in 2015:

2015:
1. Stripped it down to frame
2. Body on homemade stand (but I want to make a rotisserie like Mark's)
3. Frame sand blasted and primed and painted black

2016:
1. Bought a 460 short block
2. Refurbished the front axles and installed locking hubs

3. Cleaned up and painted the gas tank (it's like new) (I need to get a picture up for that)
4. Paintd the steering box and new steering linkage for install.

#3 ·
Next Steps

Next steps for the project are the weekend of Jan 14th. I will be:

1. Installing the front steering linkage including the new Pitman arm
2. Fixing the rear shock mounts and installing the shocks (x4)
3. Servicing the rear differential and
4. Completely overhauling the rear brakes

#8 ·
I am going to use a Bendtsen adapter to mate the AOD to the 460....
Transmission Adapter Pricing

I think from my research that is the one that tilts the trans a couple degrees and recommends a deep pan to prevent fluid aeration
I chose the quick time bell housing because I didn't want to tilt my trans read a few people has issues with the adapter flexing/bending
are you planning on beefing up the aod?

if not the 460 may shred it pretty quickly
the one i bought has no lockup as the input shaft (a major weak link I read ) is now solid
hopefully this is the year I get to try my trans out!

#7 ·
its just nuts and bolts. But it looks fantastic so far. Keep up the great work. Its very time consuming to do it right, but well worth it in the end.

#18 ·
My gas tank rehab... saved over $100.

Before (being stripped of rust and undercoat)

After cleanup, ready for paint.

Painted. Used Eastwood Rust Encapsulator, then a top coat. Inside the tank looks pristine, after i sopped up all of the laquered gas.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

#20 ·
Last weekend i had some time (not a lot) to work on the Bronco. Opened the rear drums and found the brakes were almost new. My cousin who sold me the Bronco said he told me the rear brakes had been replaced "recently". Remember, my Bronco had been sitting for 2 to 3 years before i bought it. Still, the hardware and shoes looked great. I am just going to clean it up and put new drums and (maybe) shoes on.

Went ahead and stripped down the axles anyway to replace the leaking seals.

My brother is going to have a shop do the bearing and seal work since i do not have a press. Then it will be ready when i get back to in on Feb 19th.

#21 ·
I am going to do the F350 brake mod to the Bronco while i am at this (especially since the booster and master are shot). So i have the F350 wheel cylinders on hand.

When i drove the Bronco before tearing it down, it was a tad hard to stop, which i expected since it had been sitting.

#22 ·
My brother got the axles ready to go. A family friend (in his 80s and still wrenching) has lits of tools so he pressed everything on. For $10. Thanks, Ben Smith!

I should also note that i am an extreme "noob" at mechanical stuff. I worked in my dad's garage growing up, but unlike my twin, things did not click for me. So i mostly pumped gas, changed/mounted/balanced tires, oil changes, light stuff.... so my cousin and my twin are helping me "a lot".

#23 ·
Well, another good weekend on the Bronco. Serviced the rear axle bearings and seals. Family friend Ben Smith (still wrencing in his 80s) pressed the seals on the axles for me.

Re-installed rear axles and did the rear brakes. They had been recently re-built so nothing major to do... just cleaned it up and installed the F350 wheel cylinders.

Re-installed the gas tank.

#24 ·
My cousin and his mad skills .... he is welding lower quarters onto my doors to replace the rusty ones we cut out. We tacked the inner panel and then test fit to the cab and measured for the outer to ensure a straight fit.

#31 ·
Re-installed the gas tank.

Just dropped my gas tank last night and was wondering what the holes on the upper edge of the frame were for- looks like I'm missing those two top straps.[/QUOTE]
Yes. Get em from broncograveyard.com. Mine are original and restored...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.