Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Any differences in E4OD transmission?

72K views 26 replies 20 participants last post by  rgvbroncs 
#1 ·
Hey guys, been looking at 90-96 Broncos maybe
as a replacement for my 78. Don't know much
about the later models, and have searched and
found out these (90-96) have the E4OD transmission.

My question is; does the 302 and the 351W have
the exact same transmission? I'm thinking the
351W has stronger internals to withstand the
increased torque of the bigger engine...?

Thanks,
ROE

#2 ·
302 or 351w Will have the exact same E4OD. There is a big block version though. Also there were subtle changes and upgrades through the years(the solenoid pack, valve body, harness connector etc).

#9 ·
this is not true. the 4.9-5.0 e4od is identical. the 7.5 and 5.8 are also the same.

the difference between these is:

forward clutch:
5.0 3 plates
5.8 4 plates

direct clutch:
5.0 3 plates
5.8 4 plates

this actually is a big difference and significantly contributes to a difference in durability. if youre on the hunt for a small block e4od get one from a 5.8

#5 ·
There are differences between years starting in 95 and a 302 might have the 4R70W. I'd shoot for a 95, from link below: "If it becomes necessary to overhaul your E4OD transmission, you should perform as many updates as possible if it is a pre-1995 unit." Here is a short read with great info.: http://www.becontrols.com/tech/ch6e4odinfo.htm

A 95 is OBD1 96 OBD2 which is also a consideration.

Reactions: Fast Floyd
#8 ·
After finishing the OBDII swap in my 89 I am enjoying the OBDII. Being able to get real time data from the sensors is amazing. You can see problems before your computer even realizes they are problems.

But back on topic, yes the E4OD got several upgrades over the years with the idea of making them more reliable. But other than bell housing design (small block, big block, diesel) they remained the same between them internally, changes were based on build date and not the engine.

#7 ·
yo,
Here is my E4OD Changes through the Years Summary
to begin with, here is the Ford TSB;
TSB 89-09-18 Introduction to the E4OD
ISSUE: The E4OD is a new 4-speed automatic overdrive transmission. The E4OD transmission was derived from the C-6 automatic (3-speed) transmission.

ACTION: Use the following information to familiarize yourself with the various E4OD components. This information can help you explain the operation of the transmission to the customer.

The E4OD uses electronics to control shift points, pressure regulation and torque converter clutch control. This provides high quality shifts, good fuel economy and overall performance. The engine and transmission are monitored with diagnostic testing available through the EEC-IV Quick Test. The E4OD operations are provided by both operator selected positions of the manual selector lever and with an overdrive cancel switch located on the instrument panel.

FUNCTIONS
P (Park), R (Reverse), and N (Neutral) are the same as other Ford automatic transmissions.
D (Overdrive - normal driving position) provides all automatic shifts through fourth gear (overdrive) along with application and release of the converter clutch. The transmission may also be shifted manually between all forward ranges.
D (Overdrive - with overdrive cancel switch activated, amber light on. This position is selected by pushing the button on the instrument panel, or shift stalk on later models.) provides all automatic shifts, including the application and release of the converter clutch, except the shift into overdrive. It is used to provide additional engine braking for descending grades.
2 (Manual second) provides only second gear operation regardless of vehicle speed. It is useful for start-up on slippery surfaces or to provide engine braking on downgrades.
1 (Manual low) provides only low (1st) gear at start-ups. At higher speeds it results in a downshift to second gear followed by an automatic downshift to low which occurs when vehicle speed decreases enough. Once in low, the transmission will stay in low until the selector is moved to another position.

ELECTRONIC CONTROL
* The E4OD is electronically controlled by a microprocessor known as the EEC-IV processor (electronic control assembly, ECA). The EEC-IV processor controls both the engine and the transmission on gasoline engine applications in the same microprocessor. On diesels the ECA controls the transmission only.
* Electronic control also provides powertrain system diagnostic capabilities which will result in earlier and more accurate resolution of E4OD malfunctions.
* Service technicians can detect many types of transmission concerns if they occur during the standard EEC-IV "Quick Test" on both gas and diesel use.
* Additionally, the overdrive cancel switch indicator light will flash during certain conditions which will inform the driver to go to a Ford dealer for servicing.
* The processor gathers information from sensors located throughout the vehicle which are monitoring vehicle operating conditions. Using this information, the processor determines the best operating state for the transmission. A solenoid body assembly, containing five solenoids, receives the processor signals which in turn produces the desired mode of operation.
* Altitude compensation for shift quality and cold ambient warm-up strategy are also provided in the electronic controls. This eliminates the need for changes to the transmission for operating in mountainous regions. It also allows the E4OD to operate effectively even in extreme cold.
* An overdrive cancel switch allows lockout of overdrive with the push of a button. The switch is located on the instrument panel and is useful for providing increased engine braking on downhill grades. Depressing the switch will lock out overdrive (amber light turns on). Pressing it again, will change the system back to normal operation. Whenever the ignition key is turned on, the vehicle will automatically provide overdrive operation regardless of the switch position the last time the vehicle was running.

FUNCTIONAL COMPONENTS
Components from the intermediate brake drum rearward to the output shaft and extension housing seal are similar to the C-6 automatic transmission. However, the E4OD planetary gears have a higher contact ratio for quieter operation. Forward of the intermediate brake drum, the E4OD components are new. These new
parts are:
> Center support assembly
> Overdrive ring gear
> Coast clutch
> Overdrive sun gear and planet gear assembly
> Pump and support assembly
> Converter and clutch/damper assembly
The E4OD has wider forward gear ratios than the C-6 as shown below.
Gear - C6 - E4OD
1st - 2.46 - 2.71
2nd - 1.46 - 1.538
3rd - 1.00 - 1.00
OD - NA - 0.712
Rev - 2.18 - 2.18
Currently there are 12 E4OD models for use in F-250/350 (4x2 and 4x4), Econoline (5.8L/7.3L Diesel/7.5L) and F Super Duty (7.3L Diesel/7.5L). For details in diagnosing, testing, disassembling and assembling, see Section 17-09 of the 1989 Truck Shop Manual. Also see the E4OD Theory and Diagnosis Technical Training Manual (Order No. 1710-012). The E4OD, like the C-6, is filled with Mercon fluid. The fluid should be changed every 30,000 miles for severe service use. See the bottom of this page for proper fluid application..."

--
In my site under E4OD, I have more TSBs that were made by Ford through the years as improvements or fixes to some problems.
Such as;
Beginning immediately all automatic transmission / transaxle applications requiring MERCON® can now be serviced using MERCON® V or MERCON® Automatic Transmission Fluid or dual usage fluids labeled MERCON® / MERCON® V. After July 1, 2007, MERCON® Automatic Transmission Fluid will no longer be manufactured, therefore, availability of this fluid will only continue for however long it takes to deplete what remains in inventory.

Transmission Fluid In-Line Filter Kit
After every overhaul or transmission exchange, clean, flush and backflush the transmission fluid cooling system which includes: fluid cooler, auxiliary cooler, cooler lines, and Cooler Bypass Valve (CBV), if equipped. Perform the cooler flow test to ensure proper transmission fluid flow volume on the transmission return line through the cooling system. Once proper fluid flow volume is verified install the Transmission Fluid In-Line Filter Kit (XC3Z-7B155-AA) in the fluid cooler return line (transmission fluid flow coming out of the fluid cooler going into the transmission). Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.

Overheating, Burnt Fluid Converter Clutch Discoloration, Forward Clutch Wear, Excessive Bushing Wear - Low One-Way Clutch Malfunction TSB 94-23-18 for 89-94 Bronco, Vans & F Series

Ford E4OD Changes for 1996
The E4OD transmission has had several changes for the 1996 model year.
1) The upper and lower valve body gaskets are new, and have light green stripes for identification.
2) The low/reverse clutch piston now has lip seals instead of lathe cut seals.
3) The pan gasket is now a molded rubber gasket instead of cork.
None of these parts interchange with the old parts!

& by Baumann;
"...If it becomes necessary to overhaul your E4OD transmission, you should perform as many updates as possible if it is a pre-1995 unit. E4OD component updates include, as an example, the following items:

Improved (thicker) converter clutch piston (circa 1994), prevents the formation of cracks which relieve fluid pressure from the apply side of the clutch, causing it to slip and even bluing the outside surface of the torque converter in extreme cases. Ensure that your new converter contains an updated OEM or "LuK" brand heavy-duty clutch. This can be difficult, as many torque converter suppliers and remanufacturers may not use this new style of clutch.

Higher displacement front pump (for 1995) provides more fluid capacity for faster engagement of reverse and greater lube flow.

New (for 1994) 4-pinion overdrive planet and input shaft assemblies replace older 3 and 4 pinion units which tend to develop cracks in the carrier under heavy loads.

Center support update kit (for units built from 1989 through part of 1994) replaces wear-prone bushing with a ball bearing and contains a new overdrive stub shaft.

Stronger overdrive clutch cylinder snap ring which will not dislodge.

Revised sun gear and rear case bushings (circa 1992 model year) provide longer wear life and better lubrication.

Four pinion planet carriers (first used in 1992 model year)

New forward clutch friction plates with hardened internal splines cure "chatter" and "no-drive" conditions in E4OD..."
Solenoid Body Diode; "...If you use the 95 solenoid pack you either have to use the 95 ECU too or build a PWM flyback circuit because in 94 they moved the PWM flyback circuit from the solenoid pack to the ECU. If you put the 95 solenoid and don't include a PWM flyback circuit you will fry your 92 ECU quick. The easiest option is to use the original solenoid pack. Personally I don't see much of an issue if you will be running the 95 ECU and the 92 solenoid pack. It would put 2 sets of diodes in the circuit each diode drops the line voltage by .7 volts so 2 sets would drop 1.4 volts I could be wrong there though and maybe someone with more electronics knowledge than my self will chime in. There certainly wouldn't be any issues with running the 95 ECU and 95 solenoid pack I don't know if there are any benefits to running the 95 solenoid pack I just know about the flyback circuit from when I was trying to find a new E4OD for mine...
Source: by theramsey3 (Chris) at FSB

Solenoid Body Diode; "...The plugs are different for a reason - there are changes in the solenoid packs, the plugs reflect those changes to make running incompatible parts at least mildly-difficult for most folks. IIRC there are some diodes in the whole mess that in the early transmissions live in the solenoid pack but on the later models they got moved to the PCM, thus making an old-PCM-new-E4OD combo quite troublesome... At least according to someone I know who tried running several older PCMs on a '94 E4OD (that would normally run a newer style PCM) and kept burning them things up one after another... What you're planning on doing tho would be the new-PCM-old-E4OD setup, if my information is correct you will end up with protective diodes in both the trans and the PCM, which should be just fine... Or you can swap solenoid packs between the '96 and the '90 trans, and keep things matching electrically..."
Source: by LCAM-01XA

Solenoid Body info & pics in 94-96 vs earlier years; "these are the S-packs(soleniod packs) the blue is the newer 94+ upgraded pack the other is the old style pack "
Source: by yoomooman (eddy) at SuperMotors.net

Solenoid Body info & pics in 94-96 vs earlier years; "these are the S-packs(soleniod packs) the blue is the newer 94+ upgraded pack the other is the old style pack "
Source: by yoomooman (eddy) at SuperMotors.net

#14 ·
there is a lot of valid and invalid information on this thread, but here is my 2 cents:
97 f250 hd had 351 as an engine option as it was the last year of the body style, and the 5.8L, when ford made the 97 HD only, my understanding was that they made the transmissions to handle more, making the 97 E4OD the strongest E4OD available (from the factory) my interchange specifies it as a over 8500GVW one year only transmission.

#18 ·
Lol, yea...Im new at this forum thing. Maybe a small part of me thought that telling people here that I had an F-150 and not a Bronco would get me in trouble...but seriously, this website is GREAT for info on Ford Trucks. Ive checked out some of the other sites and they dont hold a candle to what you guys share here. Fullsizebronco.com is hands-down the best forum online for Ford trucks.

#19 ·
so i have a 92 f150 with the 5.0 and e4od i'm wondering what the problem is i'm having with it. when i put it in drive from a dead stop it wants to shift from first to fourth and it goes back and forth until i hit 35 then goes straight to fourth. but if i put it in second it will use first and second gear no problem yet when i put it in drive it goes straight to fourth. i know it has third gear because if i slam the gas pedal down it downshifts for about a second then shifts back to fourth. it also seems to not have overdrive because if i'm thinking correctly the e40d would be 1st gear 2nd gear 3rd gear 4th gear then overdrive as a fifth or is 4th the overdrive because it seems that 4th gear the rpm's are a little high and i feel like it isn't shifting into overdrive. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME

#20 ·
#21 ·
@covijes - you really shouldn't start two threads on the same subject - maybe one of the mods will merge them.

#22 ·
But he's only started one... he posted here first, then I recommended for him to start his own thread as his problem didn't match this thread's title :thumbup

:topic

#23 ·
I saw his other thread first. I just wanted to have all the possible help in one place. Maybe put the Diagnosis Thread you posted in his other post?, sometimes folks actually do search, and maybe they'll find that write up. It looks pretty inclusive.

Reactions: sackman9975
#24 ·
Transmission

Ok guys I am confused. Could someone dumb this down alittle for me. I have 2 Broncos.....a 1995 XLT 302 with a automatic (assume E4OD) 105K miles and a 1996 XL 351 with a automatic..210K miles. Can I pull the trans from the '95 and put it in the '96? The '95 body is toast so I bought this '96 with a clean body.

#25 ·
Since this thread was brought back to life I have some questions that follow along the lines of the original title.

I understand the differences in the bell housing bolt pattern, that there were various updates along the way, and the gear ratios are the same.

When it comes to the internals, is there any difference between the big block, small block, or diesel variations? Could I physically build a small block version to the same specifications as a diesel version?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.