Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Intermediate housing

10K views 43 replies 12 participants last post by  rkymtnbrnc 
#1 ·
My friend is swaping a np205 in his bronco. Does anybody know how long the intermediate housing (between trans and transfercase) is with the C6/np205 combo?

#4 ·
i could, but it wouldn't be tell later tonight. i do know that only on some applications they used the shorter housing. i think it should bolt up. i helped swap a tranny out of a bronco with a 203 into a F150 with a 205 and never ran into any problems.

#5 ·
Bronco's use the short housing( Like 8" I think, but not sure)

#7 ·
Well I took a C6/NP205 out of a '78 Bronco, and it was a short housing. So if it is a C6/NP205 that determines housing lengths, it should be short.

FullFloater Is your friend just swapping out the transfer case? or the whole trans and transfer case. If he is just swapping the case, it should not matter about the length of the housing. The NP205 will bolt up regardless.

#8 ·
I'll have to measure mine when I get home. There are 3 different intermediate housings, one for broncos and SWB f150 with double cardan joints (longest), one for everything else with a C6 (shortest), and one for the np435/t-18 trans (in the middle). I dont remember the lengths off the top of my head, but I will measure tonight.

#12 · (Edited)
Anyone try the search function?

Well I just did and had no luck. I searched for intermediate housing and got this. :histerica:histerica

Boy, you're not kidding. My ma's never gotten her driver's license, ever, so we've never owned a vehicle. When it was time for me to get my license, I had to work my ass off - worked a fulltime job, after school, not getting home til 12:30, just to get up for school at 5:30 - bought myself my first truck, HAD to pay my own insurance - which, for a 16yo male, as we all know, sucked ass, cost me $1800/yr, iirc - as well as everything else: gas, maintanence (it needed an intermediate housing, that I also had to pay for, plus the shipping to get it to me, as well as a front driveline), tires, everything

Hold on, I could learn to play the violin for you, if you want ...

Don't OFFER to do anything for your truck, just do it

#14 ·
I bow to your vast abundant knowledge.:whiteflag

#21 ·
I'm still kinda confused on this subject after what rkymtnbrnk and va92bronco said about theirs being shorter. After searching some more I found this-
Now, just so there is correct info in this thread - you can't just unbolt a NP203 and bolt up a NP205(with a C6 trans). It will bolt up just fine, however the front driveshaft's t-case side u-joint will hit the trans(on a C6). To swap from a 203 to a 205 (again, on a C6) you must also swap the trans output shaft and tailshaft housing.

I know this because I was already down this road with my '77 F-150 which was originally a C6/NP203 and I swapped in a NP205 from a '79 Bronco. And reading incorrect info on the web cost me a lot of wasted time and money.
Keep the info coming-:beer

#22 ·
I'm still kinda confused on this subject after what rkymtnbrnk and va92bronco said about theirs being shorter. After searching some more I found this-
BrokeCuzWheelin said:
Now, just so there is correct info in this thread - you can't just unbolt a NP203 and bolt up a NP205(with a C6 trans). It will bolt up just fine, however the front driveshaft's t-case side u-joint will hit the trans(on a C6). To swap from a 203 to a 205 (again, on a C6) you must also swap the trans output shaft and tailshaft housing.

I know this because I was already down this road with my '77 F-150 which was originally a C6/NP203 and I swapped in a NP205 from a '79 Bronco. And reading incorrect info on the web cost me a lot of wasted time and money.
Keep the info coming-:beer
i replaced a trans that had a 205 on the back with a trans that had a 203 behind it. they both had the same length housing on the back of the trans. so that contradicts(sp?) what BrokeCuzWheelin said..
now i have to do some parts compairing when i get to the shop tonight.... i've got 4 C6s to compair(a couple diff t-cases frrom the factory)

#23 ·

Hes right, but he wrong- in a sence. The np203 and the np205 use the same intermediate housing, I know because I have two broncos, one np205 one np203.

Now, because he took a np205 from a bronco (with longer housing) and put it in his f150 (which I'm assuming was a LWB truck with short housing), thats where he ran into problems. *Just a theory*

You're lucky cause I have my trans out right now and can take measurements. The intermediate housing is exactly 8 3/4" and the output shaft from the trans is exactly 20" and sticks out 1 1/2" past the housing when mated together, just like in the link I posted earlier.

If some of you have a shorter housing, I'm curious as to what you're setup is.

#24 ·
highhorse78 said:
If some of you have a shorter housing, I'm curious as to what you're setup is.
ok i just got back i measured 4 diff housings... 1 was out of a 76 F-150 with a long box. (about 130 inch wheelbase) it had a C6 with a 203. 5 3/4 inches long.
next i measured the one in my pickup (78), and one with the same combo (79), C6 with a 205 long wheelbase... both 5 3/4 inches long. last i measured a C6 out of a 84 short box with an aluminum tcase and its 5 3/4 inches long also... so a 205 should bolt inplace of a 203 without any problems..

#30 ·
That's what mine is 8 something inches. Forgive my error before. I was working from memory & that's never a good idea.

I ordered a rebuilt C-6 from MI & went round & round till I got it right. PJB was where I got my definitive answer.

A 79 Bronco with a 400 & C-6 & NP205 uses the long tail adapter & shaft.

#26 ·
the 5 3/4 inch adapters where used on the 351M/400 also. the four adapters i measured where off of three Diff motors.. two where 351M/400, one was a 390 and the other was a 351W. all at 5 3/4 inches. so there seems to be no definat(sp) answer to when and where ford used the short vs the long adaptors.

#38 · (Edited)
I measured all 3 of my vehicles today, and they all have the 8 3/4" housing. Now, I am REALLY confused!!!!
That is the correct length for all 2 with C6's. That is the most common length adapter for the NP 205 and the only one for 1978 and above.

My adapter for my NP 435 is close to the 8-3/4". In the pic the silver painted NP 435 or T18/19 adapter is 8" but the unpainted is about an inch longer.

http://www.73-79fordtrucks.com/Techtalk.htm said:
C-6 TO NP205 TRANSFER CASE USED BOTH A LONG AND SHORT COUPLER SETUP. LET ME EXPLAIN THIS IN MORE DETAIL SO YOU UNDERSTAND. THE 78-79 BRONCO'S AND F150 SHORT BOX 4X4,s USED THE LONGER COUPLER DUE TO THE FACT THAT FORD WENT WITH A DOUBLE CARDON DRIVE SHAFT ON THE FRONT AND REAR, BECAUSE OF THIS THE DRIVE SHAFT WAS LONGER.
I have been using this web site for years it has good info if you read it.

#28 ·
I know for fact you can not use the short tailshaft C6 (that came with 203 on 78/79 broncs I asssume) with a front CV shaft.

There is only 2 sets of holes in 78/79 bronco frames for side 205 mount, so whatever combo came factory, had to fit one of those sets of holes. I've always believed it was one set for man trans and one set, 3" farther back, for auto. Never had complete 203 rig, so I can't comment on it installed and which set of holes it used (it makes sense if used the longtailshaft C6/205 set of holes since C6 short tailshaft adapter happens to be magically 3" shorter).

T-18 is 1" longer than 435, hence I'm 99% sure they had different adapter to ensure 205 ended up in same spot, using forward msot set of holes for 205 side mount.

#29 ·
I know for fact you can not use the short tailshaft C6 (that came with 203 on 78/79 broncs I asssume) with a front CV shaft.

T-18 is 1" longer than 435, hence I'm 99% sure they had different adapter to ensure 205 ended up in same spot, using forward msot set of holes for 205 side mount.
i don't know if you can use it with a cv or not because i always run a single joint at the t-case. but i do know a short adaptor and a single joint and a 205 works.. but the short adaptor came on pickups as well as broncos.

the T-18,T-19 and 435 do have diff length housings. the 435 is just a little longer than 8 inches. i don't remember how long the T-18,T-19 housing is, but i do know that front of tans to back of housing on the 435 and the T-18,T-19 are about the same. i swapped a T-19 in place of a 435 in my little brothers pickup. the side mount hit the same holes on the frame with the T19 as the 435. in fact the 435 and the C6 with the short adaptor should be the same length from the bellhousing to the back of the adaptor.

#31 ·
I have had both tcases you can put a 205 in place of a 203 but you will have to grind a little on the trans pan for fitments to clear the front yoke. You will have to remount the side mount of the tcase to the frame. You can not put a long intermediate housing where a short housing was the out put shaft will be to short.

My 79 was a factory C6 203 trans. Here is a pic of the C6/NP 203 next to a NP 205. I will have to try and get a pick of a NP 205 adapter.

They also made two different length manual adapters.

I have at home a pic of a NP 205 on a short adapter.:goodfinge

I will post it later.;)

#32 ·
I have at home a pic of a NP 205 on a short adapter.:goodfinge

I will post it later.;)
my 78 pickup came from the factory with a short adapter and a 205.:goodfinge
so i don't know why you would have to grind on the trans housing. i can't see that the broncos would be that much diff. only reason i'm posting so much is i'm sure you can bolt a 205 in place of a 203 without any problems. with all the fords i have parted out or worked on i can't ever remember seeing the 8.75 adaptor housing on a C6, bronco or pickup. i've only personally seen the 5.75 inch housing.

#43 ·
He housing you are inquiring about, I measured my donor from a 1978 F100 351/C6/NP205, and I come up with a length of 5.75 inches.

I also measured my housing on my 1980 Bronco w/ 302/c6/NP208 and this also measures 5.75 inches.

I am so glad I went out there and measured it for you, because I had this bronco sitting under my carport for the last 4 months thinking I had to rebuild my c6 to change the output shaft due to hearing the 2 have different lengths. Now I know I can continue with my EFI swap. Huge win for both of us! :thumbup

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.