Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Neutral Safety Switch Adjustment in a 79

31K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  miesk5 
#1 ·
Hey all....new member here. I have been searching the forums and have not been able to find a write up on how to adjust the neutral safety switch...I have been having problems with having to hold my shifter wayyy up into park to get the switch to see that it's in park. I figure it's just an adjustment issue...I don't think that I have back up lights either which I also gather is a symptom of the same problem. I have read on how to bypass the switch completely, but I'd rather try adjusting it first.

#2 ·
straight from all data...should be the same for the 78

Place transmission manual lever in neutral position, then insert a .091 inch gauge pin through gauge pin holes, Fig. 8.
Tighten switch attaching bolts, then remove gauge pin.
Install outer downshift lever and retaining nut.
Install downshift linkage rod return spring between lever and retaining clip on low-reverse servo cover.
Reconnect electrical connectors, then check operation of switch.

Attachments

#10 ·
The two bolts that hold the NSS to the side of the transmsiion case loosen them.

Verify the transmission is in neutral postion, do not go by the shift indicator on the column as the linkage to it may need to be adjusted best to loosen the nut on the crossbar to column bar and let it slide.

Block the wheels on the truck and manually put it in neutral by counting the detents adjust the NSS to it.

If you still can't figure it out put it back together and take it to a mechanic

#13 ·
My replacement switch is an exact copy of the original neutral safety switch installed by Ford when the vehicle was built.

After much installing and disassembly, and installing all over again by reassembly, as well as adjusting, and readjusting, trying to get both bolts installed and rotating the switch a tiny amount, I kept getting the same result of the installation of the switch not working properly.

Then, I tried a different approach:

I started by moving the steering column shift lever to reverse, pushed the neutral safety switch onto the transmission stud in it's proper position, then physically moved the position of the neutral safety switch till the backup lights turned on. Then moved the shift lever to park. Since the switch wasn't secured with the hold-down bolts, when I moved my shift lever, the switch body rotated with the transmission stud.

Problem is I can only install one bolt, as the adjustment holes for the bolts don't line up properly anymore. The unused bolt will likely get tagged for what it is, and where it's supposed to go, then add it to the bottom of the glove box, in case I need it again.

But it works, and the vehicle starts in both park and neutral again. Now when I move the shift lever to reverse, the back-up lights come on, as they're supposed to. All I have left to do is put a dab of silicone into the unused bolt hole to keep the mason bees from putting a dab of mud in there.

Somehow the transmission stud isn't in the right position anymore, and I'm hoping that I don't have to tear down the transmission to adjust the transmission stud to where it needs to be.

#14 ·
Yo Starbuckian,
Welcome to our DIY BIG Bronco community!
Thanks for your NSS adjustment information.

Which year Bronco do you have?

Al

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.