EFI 460 swap help - Ford Bronco Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
boggin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: newfoundland
Posts: 560
Bronco Info: 79 bronco, 351M, 33x12.5 M/Ts, 2" lift
EFI 460 swap help

I recently found an EFI 460 from an 87-91 F350 while i was searching for a Dana60, and i really wanna swap this into my bronco for these reasons:
A) gas mileage??
B) more power
C) better idling/running than my carb
D) cold winters
E) steep angles

So when I go about doing this swap, I plan to use all the wiring and computer from the 460 obviously, so where do you guys think would be an ideal place to mount the computer? I was thinking under the hood on the firewall probably on the passenger side near the inner fenderwell somewhere. any other opinions?
also what wires would need splicing? what should i look out for when doing the swap?

Do I have to use the flexplate and torque converter from the 460 or my 351M? theyre both autos

Any other info/input/suggestions is more than welcome
thanks

'06 F250 6.0 ZF-6 ECLB, tuned, deleted, stacks, 35s
'79 Bronco 4 speed 400
'79 Bronco C6 351m
'76 F150 2wd
'79 F150 4x4, frame off resto project
boggin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
boggin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: newfoundland
Posts: 560
Bronco Info: 79 bronco, 351M, 33x12.5 M/Ts, 2" lift
does anybody remember the guy who put the efi460 in his 78-79? i remember someone but i cant remember his username.

'06 F250 6.0 ZF-6 ECLB, tuned, deleted, stacks, 35s
'79 Bronco 4 speed 400
'79 Bronco C6 351m
'76 F150 2wd
'79 F150 4x4, frame off resto project
boggin is offline  
post #3 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 12:47 AM
Registered User
 
InfoFord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Kalispell Montana
Posts: 2,251
Bronco Info: Picador 4 door bronco EFI 460 E4OD electric shift 1356 Tcase 3.55 10.25 rear, 3.54 Dana 44 front
InfoFord is offline  
post #4 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
boggin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: newfoundland
Posts: 560
Bronco Info: 79 bronco, 351M, 33x12.5 M/Ts, 2" lift
thanks, will that be the same as the 87-91 harness?
and when i pull the 460 engine from the truck its in, Can i just pull the whole harness with the motor so i dont have to unplug anything besides the ecm?

'06 F250 6.0 ZF-6 ECLB, tuned, deleted, stacks, 35s
'79 Bronco 4 speed 400
'79 Bronco C6 351m
'76 F150 2wd
'79 F150 4x4, frame off resto project
boggin is offline  
post #5 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 10:59 AM
Registered User
 
InfoFord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Kalispell Montana
Posts: 2,251
Bronco Info: Picador 4 door bronco EFI 460 E4OD electric shift 1356 Tcase 3.55 10.25 rear, 3.54 Dana 44 front
87-96 exm is located in the same area so that spot will work for you I would recommend find a 92-96 truck and get the ecm mount from it

there will be alot of unplgging to pull the whole harness out of the truck
InfoFord is offline  
post #6 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
boggin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: newfoundland
Posts: 560
Bronco Info: 79 bronco, 351M, 33x12.5 M/Ts, 2" lift
ok, thanks again

'06 F250 6.0 ZF-6 ECLB, tuned, deleted, stacks, 35s
'79 Bronco 4 speed 400
'79 Bronco C6 351m
'76 F150 2wd
'79 F150 4x4, frame off resto project
boggin is offline  
post #7 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 12:20 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bedford, TX
Posts: 1,781
Bronco Info: 1978 Bronco, 466 EFI
Quote:
Originally Posted by boggin View Post
So when I go about doing this swap, I plan to use all the wiring and computer from the 460 obviously, so where do you guys think would be an ideal place to mount the computer? I was thinking under the hood on the firewall probably on the passenger side near the inner fenderwell somewhere. any other opinions?
Mount the computer inside the cab, Mine is located just to the right of the gas pedal near the top of the tranny tunnel. The ecu is not water proof and needs to go in a safe place.

For wiring, get an EVTM from ford for the year of the donor truck. This will answer a lot of wiring questions for you. Also do yourself a favor and solder all splices....just say no to butt connectors.

Get a fuel tank for a 1991+ bronco, it has the in tank fuel pump ready to go and it is a bolt in....except for the fuel gauge. The 1991+ fuel gauge uses a reversed resistance value from the 78-79. To fix my issue I mounted my oem sending unit to the new style pump and wired it in.

Most importantly take your time and do things right. Saving a few hours here can cause you tons of grief later. Inspect all wires & connectors, use the correct type of fuel line, use fuses where needed, etc.


In my experience, the 460 efi gets about the same economy as a healthy, well tuned m-block. Your benefits will be in low speed power/torque, driveability, cold starts, hot starts, reliability, and IMO a better power plant more suited to a FSB. I rank the 460 swap as the single best mod I have done to my truck. It starts and runs flawlessly in any weather, just turn the key, put it in gear, and go.

Good Luck

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work- Thomas A Edison
BigWheelz is offline  
post #8 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 12:30 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bedford, TX
Posts: 1,781
Bronco Info: 1978 Bronco, 466 EFI
As usual, very nice work!

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work- Thomas A Edison
BigWheelz is offline  
post #9 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
boggin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: newfoundland
Posts: 560
Bronco Info: 79 bronco, 351M, 33x12.5 M/Ts, 2" lift
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWheelz View Post
Mount the computer inside the cab, Mine is located just to the right of the gas pedal near the top of the tranny tunnel. The ecu is not water proof and needs to go in a safe place.

For wiring, get an EVTM from ford for the year of the donor truck. This will answer a lot of wiring questions for you. Also do yourself a favor and solder all splices....just say no to butt connectors.

Get a fuel tank for a 1991+ bronco, it has the in tank fuel pump ready to go and it is a bolt in....except for the fuel gauge. The 1991+ fuel gauge uses a reversed resistance value from the 78-79. To fix my issue I mounted my oem sending unit to the new style pump and wired it in.

Most importantly take your time and do things right. Saving a few hours here can cause you tons of grief later. Inspect all wires & connectors, use the correct type of fuel line, use fuses where needed, etc.


In my experience, the 460 efi gets about the same economy as a healthy, well tuned m-block. Your benefits will be in low speed power/torque, driveability, cold starts, hot starts, reliability, and IMO a better power plant more suited to a FSB. I rank the 460 swap as the single best mod I have done to my truck. It starts and runs flawlessly in any weather, just turn the key, put it in gear, and go.

Good Luck
thanks man! ill get wiring diagrams for my bronco and the donor and compare em all and match everything up. overalll was this a very hard swap?
thanks

'06 F250 6.0 ZF-6 ECLB, tuned, deleted, stacks, 35s
'79 Bronco 4 speed 400
'79 Bronco C6 351m
'76 F150 2wd
'79 F150 4x4, frame off resto project
boggin is offline  
post #10 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 01:25 PM
Registered User
 
Spectre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 9,911
Bronco Info: 78 Bronco 400/C6
Quote:
Originally Posted by boggin View Post
does anybody remember the guy who put the efi460 in his 78-79? i remember someone but i cant remember his username.
My buddy did it..

And I have a similar dilema.. I'm trying to put an ecu into a 69 body.. I think I'm going to try and mount it behind the instrument cluster in the upper left portion of the dash.

Vic - W6VIC
1978 Ranger Bronco XLT 400/C6 with only 33's =(
2001 F250 - 6" SL. 37" tires Goliath
2007 Yamaha R1 Ricochet
Spectre is offline  
post #11 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 09:50 PM
Registered User
 
OldsRocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Spanaway, WA
Posts: 1,106
Bronco Info: 1984 Bronco XLT 302 c6 np208, 1979 Bronco Ranger XLT 460 c6 np205
Quote:
Originally Posted by boggin View Post
does anybody remember the guy who put the efi460 in his 78-79? i remember someone but i cant remember his username.
shadowcaster

OldsRocket is offline  
post #12 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 10:27 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bedford, TX
Posts: 1,781
Bronco Info: 1978 Bronco, 466 EFI
Quote:
Originally Posted by boggin View Post
thanks man! ill get wiring diagrams for my bronco and the donor and compare em all and match everything up. overalll was this a very hard swap?
thanks
I thought the wiring was fairly easy and straightforward. The hardest part IMO is getting the EFI support equipment into place. The fuel system has to be plumbed and wired, inertia switch installed, oxygen sensor installed, etc.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work- Thomas A Edison
BigWheelz is offline  
post #13 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 11:13 PM
Registered User
 
InfoFord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Kalispell Montana
Posts: 2,251
Bronco Info: Picador 4 door bronco EFI 460 E4OD electric shift 1356 Tcase 3.55 10.25 rear, 3.54 Dana 44 front
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWheelz View Post
I thought the wiring was fairly easy and straightforward. The hardest part IMO is getting the EFI support equipment into place. The fuel system has to be plumbed and wired, inertia switch installed, oxygen sensor installed, etc.
agreed it was straight forward conversion my dually project even got the charging circuit and trailer harness stuff from the 94 donor since I used the entire harness from the frame to go to the both tanks and lighting all working great on the vacation thus far
InfoFord is offline  
post #14 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 08:36 PM
Only the Bronco
 
origin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Lloydminster Sk, Canada
Posts: 986
Bronco Info: 1979 EFI 460, 33x12.5 Yoko Geolander At's
http://nelson.macd.ca/bronco.htm

1979 Bronco Custom 460 FI/C6/205, 33x12.5 Yokohama Geolandar AT
2013 F150 3.5 Ecoboost, Crewcab, Shortbox, FX4, 4x4
2009 Ford Flex SEL 3.5l/6 Speed/Most Options
origin is offline  
post #15 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
boggin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: newfoundland
Posts: 560
Bronco Info: 79 bronco, 351M, 33x12.5 M/Ts, 2" lift
Quote:
Originally Posted by origin View Post
your the guy i was looking for! thanks man

'06 F250 6.0 ZF-6 ECLB, tuned, deleted, stacks, 35s
'79 Bronco 4 speed 400
'79 Bronco C6 351m
'76 F150 2wd
'79 F150 4x4, frame off resto project
boggin is offline  
post #16 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 07:58 AM
Heavy and slow fun
 
Aurorabusa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Denver,Colo
Posts: 1,153
Bronco Info: 94 XLT 351 Auto 37 IROK's SAS ext. arms D44 9in Detroit rear ARB front 5.13 16.5TI Warn OBA York
Sounds like fun. i have never saw a 460 get good fuel mileage


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gacknar View Post
If you don't like it, blow it out your E-ass.
http://www.supermotors.net/17065
Aurorabusa is offline  
post #17 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 02:22 AM
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
 
Fireguy50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Michigan
Posts: 11,475
Bronco Info: rusty
We have the grommet for the firewall
http://rjminjectiontech.com/products/grommet-oval
Fireguy50 is offline  
post #18 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 02:49 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bedford, TX
Posts: 1,781
Bronco Info: 1978 Bronco, 466 EFI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireguy50 View Post
We have the grommet for the firewall
http://rjminjectiontech.com/?p=15
And a lot of other very useful items to help with an EFI swap. As always, RJM is a great source.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work- Thomas A Edison
BigWheelz is offline  
post #19 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 03:05 PM
Im scared of jopes
 
78'460's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Canada, British columbia, Chilliwack
Posts: 1,668
Bronco Info: 78' 4spd 460 38's
Quote:
Originally Posted by boggin View Post
I recently found an EFI 460 from an 87-91 F350 while i was searching for a Dana60, and i really wanna swap this into my bronco for these reasons:
A) gas mileage??
B) more power
C) better idling/running than my carb
D) cold winters
E) steep angles

So when I go about doing this swap, I plan to use all the wiring and computer from the 460 obviously, so where do you guys think would be an ideal place to mount the computer? I was thinking under the hood on the firewall probably on the passenger side near the inner fenderwell somewhere. any other opinions?
also what wires would need splicing? what should i look out for when doing the swap?

Do I have to use the flexplate and torque converter from the 460 or my 351M? theyre both autos

Any other info/input/suggestions is more than welcome
thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurorabusa View Post
Sounds like fun. i have never saw a 460 get good fuel mileage
Honestly, Even my carb'd 460, It gets better mileage then my worn out 351m ever got, Plus a crap load more power. Its not a 4 cylinder or even a 6 cylinder so dont expect that kinda mileage and it will be fine.
78'460 is offline  
post #20 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 07:18 PM
Registered User
 
bigblock78bronco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bozeman MT
Posts: 145
Bronco Info: 78 W/ Injected 460 C6 NP205 D60's, a ~4" lift and 39.5 TSL'S
I did this exact swap in my truck at love it. Not sure on the exact rang of years but the gas tank in my 89 f350 donor trunk bolt right in place of my bronco tank and the sending unit/pump monuts into the tank exactly the same. So you could either swap an entire tank, or just buy a pump for an 89 and drop it into the bronco tank.
As for mounting the ecu, I actually mounted mine right to the drvier side inner fender. Then using an old tackle box, I built a plastic box and put it over the the ecu. Then I used a lot of RTV and sealed the whole box making it complete waterproof. I know it sounds like a cheesy way to do it, but it actually came out very nice and works flawlessly. If you would like I can try and get some pictures.

78 Big Block Bronco 87 mustang Turbo 4 banger
bigblock78bronco is offline  
Reply

  Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 1978-'79 Bronco Tech

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome