The Cummins Bronco - Page 3 - Ford Bronco Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 235 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 07:48 AM

Bronco Info: 78XLT, 400-C6-205, D44 front and 8.8" rear at 4.10, 33" MTs on chromes w/ baby moons!
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Thunder View Post
but Cummins is a separate entity,
Did not know that.. Nor did I know that bigger Fords had them, Always seemed to me that it was just a dodge brand name for heir diesel engines. Nice to know!

Quote:
650 ft/lbs of torque, give or take 10%.
Yikes!

Quote:
responsible for the torque peaking at 1600 rpm.
Whoa... it peaks that 650ft/lbs at 1600 rpm?

I guess I gotta start looking a little more seriously at diesel engines!

G.

*'78 Bronco XLT, Half-cab conversion , 400-C6-205,4.10s, 33"s 6MPG
*'76 F150 Trailer Special Ranger, 4x2, 460-C6, 3.25 Limited slip 7MPG
*'78 F250 Camper Special Ranger, 4x4, 400-C6-205,4.10s 15MPG(!?!)
*73 F250 Explorer 4x2-parts *79 Bronco Custom Ranger-Parts trucks
Half-Cabs@Supermotors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 235 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1978 Cummins Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by colobronco View Post
I have a Detroit locker & no issues with using up tires.
I'm wondering if this locker is a Detroit unit or an aftermarket locker. It was really squealing the tires when I'd accelerate around a turn, so it doesn't like to unlock under any load. And there's definitely no clutches, so I'd figured it was a Detroit. I'd love having the locker in my truck if it wasn't so aggressive. I could put up with the excess lash, but not the squealing.

1978 Bronco Custom, 6" skyjacker & 3" body lift, 37x12.50R16.5s, posi front diff, 3.50 gears, Dynamic Racing C6 w/billet 1200 rpm converter, upgraded brakes, '91 Cummins 12V, Denny T fuel pin, injection pump maxed out & timing advanced, 3800 gov. spring, 60# valve springs, ARP head studs, 4" exhaust.
post #43 of 235 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by colobronco View Post
Fantastic build.

How would things have gone without the 3 inch body lift? Could be done or no?
Thanks!

I'm sure you could do the build without the 3" lift, but it would be a lot trickier to get everything right. You may need to notch into that beautifully formed front crossmember to clear the oil pan, or possibly raise the motor up some. Even a 1" or 2" body lift may resolve those issues too, I'm not sure.

1978 Bronco Custom, 6" skyjacker & 3" body lift, 37x12.50R16.5s, posi front diff, 3.50 gears, Dynamic Racing C6 w/billet 1200 rpm converter, upgraded brakes, '91 Cummins 12V, Denny T fuel pin, injection pump maxed out & timing advanced, 3800 gov. spring, 60# valve springs, ARP head studs, 4" exhaust.

post #44 of 235 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 01:32 PM

Bronco Info: 1979 Bronco 400m, 1975 F-250 4x4 390
thats really awesome. Someday when I grow up (I'm 33) I want to have skills to do that.
post #45 of 235 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 03:27 PM

Bronco Info: 1994 Bronco 5.0 liter e4od factory MAF, 130 amp 3g, auxillary transmission filter and cooler.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValentineWYO View Post
thats really awesome. Someday when I grow up (I'm 33) I want to have skills to do that.
WHEN you grow up? you already are, now get wrenchen!

My Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/pfun41#p/a
The going get tough, the tough get debt
Don't pay attention, pay the rent
Next of kins pay for your sins
A little faith should keep us safe
post #46 of 235 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 07:01 PM

Bronco Info: 1979 Bronco Ranger XLT 460/30 over, c6, Holley 4-barrel, Weiand Stealth Intake
Awesomeness

Quote:
"Guys what should I do, my truck keeps using gas. If this keeps happening, I'm going to scrap it. Please freaking help me."
- Need4racin
post #47 of 235 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 09:32 PM
press ALT+F4

Bronco Info: '78 Bronco with motor, axles and stuff
Quote:
Thank you very much for the compliments, it was a lot of work and a lot of saving up for parts.

Ah yes, the paint.. hmmm. I'm a big battleship fan, especially the Iowa-class American BBs. The USS Missouri and USS Iowa wore an awesome gray and black camo scheme for a time during WWII, and once I get the body rust repaired on my Bronco, it's getting a coat of satin finish BB camo.
It's about as cheap as you could get, easily repaired if scratched, and it will be a tribute to our armed forces.

This is what the camo will look like.

Since the truck will have the battleship theme, I designed this decal for the rear window:

I don't like blending in with the crowd.
I've been designing a similar paint scheme based on the destroyer (Sumner class) Measure 31 Design 16d.

The execution of your project is awesome, it's good to see good work. One thing I would have done is boxed the frame rails, but I like overkill.

Thanks for posting up the build pics.

Jim

post #48 of 235 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 10:30 PM

Bronco Info: 93 EB x2, 1990 C350 diesel, 1978 xlt Jade green
Nice build thread and valuable info.
are you serious at only 5100lbs?
you have a pretty nice balanced Bronco front/rear for that torque monster up front.

I put a 6.9 diesel and C6 into an 88 Bronco back in 2000 and was very happy with the "balance" with the diesel up front. it was a very simple install, all Ford parts from an F250.

that is a very solid Bronco and worthy of a nice OEM look body/paintjob, it already gets enough attention with an oil burner inside.

too many Fords?
post #49 of 235 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Mercury250Ranger View Post
Nice build thread and valuable info.
are you serious at only 5100lbs?
you have a pretty nice balanced Bronco front/rear for that torque monster up front.

I put a 6.9 diesel and C6 into an 88 Bronco back in 2000 and was very happy with the "balance" with the diesel up front. it was a very simple install, all Ford parts from an F250.

that is a very solid Bronco and worthy of a nice OEM look body/paintjob, it already gets enough attention with an oil burner inside.
Yep, 5100 lbs, without me in it, and with 3/8 of a tank of fuel.
It handles like a stock truck, the steering is nice and tight, and it'll do the speed limit around corners with no problem. It's a brute in the snow, too. I'm considering a set of General Grabber tires in the same 35 x 12.50, but according to the brand comparison chart, they'll be quite a bit better in dry, wet and snow than my Mud Terrain T/A tires, with only a slight loss of traction in mud. The Generals are $161 a piece, which isn't bad at all.

I thought about a nice normal paintjob, but it would be a LOT more money to do it right, and I'm pretty strapped right now. So I figure I'll weld up the rust spots, do some body filler, scuff it down, seal it, and just roll on the gray and black camo with cheap equipment paint. If the truck gets scratched up, it's an easy fix, too. A diesel Bronco with 4" exhaust and muffler, that's lifted 9" with 35s on it definitely does get attention. I get a lot of guys walking up and staring at it, listening to the rattle. I wouldn't suggest anyone building something like this unless you really like B.S.-ing with strangers on a regular basis.. haha

post #50 of 235 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78bronco460 View Post
I've been designing a similar paint scheme based on the destroyer (Sumner class) Measure 31 Design 16d.

The execution of your project is awesome, it's good to see good work. One thing I would have done is boxed the frame rails, but I like overkill.

Thanks for posting up the build pics.

Jim
That's awesome! I'm trying to recall the camo designation of my choice.. Measure 32D maybe?
About the frame; if you saw how lightweight the 1 ton dodge parts truck's frame was in comparison to the '78 Bronco, you'd be amazed. The dodge didn't have any boxing at all, and the factory cross member up front looked like somebody bolted on a piece of scrap angle iron. The Bronco has a nice factory boxed section of frame around the engine mounts, and then it joins smoothly into the formed front crossmember. I bet it's twice as strong as the dodge frame.

post #51 of 235 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 12:53 AM

Bronco Info: 2004 LR DiscoII It's pronounced "Fjord"......
Quote:
Y I get a lot of guys walking up and staring at it, listening to the rattle. I wouldn't suggest anyone building something like this unless you really like B.S.-ing with strangers on a regular basis.. haha
ya think thats bad.. buy a Centurion.. every fuel stop from Dallas to Boise.. 20 minutes of what the hell is that?

I do love your truck, btw.

All purpose rig under construction.. stay tuned!
post #52 of 235 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 01:01 AM
press ALT+F4

Bronco Info: '78 Bronco with motor, axles and stuff
Quote:
That's awesome! I'm trying to recall the camo designation of my choice.. Measure 32D maybe?
About the frame; if you saw how lightweight the 1 ton dodge parts truck's frame was in comparison to the '78 Bronco, you'd be amazed. The dodge didn't have any boxing at all, and the factory cross member up front looked like somebody bolted on a piece of scrap angle iron. The Bronco has a nice factory boxed section of frame around the engine mounts, and then it joins smoothly into the formed front crossmember. I bet it's twice as strong as the dodge frame.
The camo in your picture is Measure 32 Design 1B. It was used on the Iowa.

post #53 of 235 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 01:12 AM

Bronco Info: 79 Ranger XLT 400CID C6 2" Lift on 33's
AT. What you describe SOUNDS like a Detroit locker (which is an aftermarket locker).

As the name implies "differential" describes the fact that during cornering the rear wheels rotate at different speeds.

The Detroits do "pop" when they unlock & you do get plenty of lash in a straight line.

But idling at a stoplight it's great to know you have a spool in the back with both rear tires welded together.

I weighed up the options & for mountain goat surefootedness on the trail I went with the locker.

If ya gots the coin do an ARB. Best of both worlds. Or Detroit e locker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfoFord View Post
if you still can't figure it out put it back together and take it to a mechanic
"Under my plan electricity prices would necessarily skyrocket" BHO

Truck was stolen & sold for parts Wheat Ridge Colo Black with Red 2 tone. About $20K in the truck. VIN U15HLEC0170
post #54 of 235 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 03:30 PM

Bronco Info: 79custom,78custom,74explorer
Quote:
I'm running 3.50 gears. With the 35s on it, it does 55 mph at 2000 rpm. I want to go with 3.00 gears, but they're not available for the high pinion front D44. Maybe I'll get bigger tires to improve my fuel mileage. Sounds like a good excuse to me!
Great build. I've got a 79 Bronco with 3.00's (stock) in the front reverse D44 so they are out there.

"And the name of him who sat on it was Death,and Hell followed with him."
post #55 of 235 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 03:42 PM

Bronco Info: '78 Bronco EFI 460 NP435, 205, D44, 9" Det Lkr. 5" of lift, 35's
I like how the truck is looking, very nice build. I have gotten used to my Detroit, although I wouldn't want one on a daily driver. Air lockers are definitly the way to go if you can afford it.
Oh yeah, I've also got a 6 cyl. Cummins that I love. Its a 425 hp, KT19. Its in a 58 foot fishing boat. How could I fit it in a Bronco now....
post #56 of 235 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 11:53 PM

Bronco Info: 84 FSB with a 6.9 diesel/zf 5, supercharger, and 33s.
Strange...I kind of hate you right now because your setup is what I wanted to build. BUT...since I have my 84 and could not pick up a cummins for under $2k (core) and then needed to get my stuff to add it to the setup so it would EASILY be $4k. I pikced up my 6.9 for $400 and a set of headers. It was complete from the intake to the clutch and bell housing with about 3' of exhaust. So...with about $100 bux in spare parts, a new high torque starter, $100ish on injectors, (and about $500 in other misc stuff that adds up quick), a torque grind cam, I was good to go and drove it on 100% oil for about 2-3K miles. Seriously about $50 in diesel for the entire time.

SWS

After Midnight Project music. Subscribe and see how good they are, and how good you will feel.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HPBejDwWVI
post #57 of 235 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 12:05 AM

Bronco Info: 79 bronco 12v Cummins, Dana 60 and 10.25 axles, 8in superduty springs, 44in boggers
Man that is an awesome build and must say you couldnt have posted it at a better time im in the process of putting a cummins in my 79 and debating on boxing the frame im gonna run a p-pumped 12v with an intercooler and hx40 turbo hopefully getting some massive torque and was curious if you had any flex at WOT
post #58 of 235 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 01:00 AM

Bronco Info: Sold the Bronc, Wheeln an IDI
Very clean... i got motor mounts and adapter from the same companies as you, they make the swap real easy.

A problem that I ran into was the compression fitting on the power steering pressure hose, I kept blowing the one I had, so I put on a swage-lock style one.
post #59 of 235 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 01:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukedrummer89 View Post
Very clean... i got motor mounts and adapter from the same companies as you, they make the swap real easy.

A problem that I ran into was the compression fitting on the power steering pressure hose, I kept blowing the one I had, so I put on a swage-lock style one.
Did you use a brass compression fitting? Those are very weak compared to the steel ones. I used a steel one, and it hasn't seeped a drop of fluid in 7000 miles. (knock on wood!)

post #60 of 235 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 02:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred94 View Post
Man that is an awesome build and must say you couldnt have posted it at a better time im in the process of putting a cummins in my 79 and debating on boxing the frame im gonna run a p-pumped 12v with an intercooler and hx40 turbo hopefully getting some massive torque and was curious if you had any flex at WOT
I get zero flex at all. I believe the stock Bronco frame is stronger than the stock frame in the Dodge that the motor came from. The tires smoke before anything else happens. I've launched it at WOT in 4wd low and it felt like my guts would rip out for the first 30 feet. Still no flex I could detect, and it tracks perfectly straight.

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 1978-'79 Bronco Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode