I tore apart the t-case since I was fairly sure it was making the noise I'd been hearing, plus it was leaking from every seal. After inspecting everything, all the bearings looked perfect, so I installed all the new seals and put it back together. I tore down the rear axle, installed 2 new bearings and seals, as they were also leaking, and I re-installed the Detroit Locker carrier. I also had to replace one of the pins that holds the brake shoes in place, because it had broken for whatever reason. I tore apart both front hubs, removed the axles, and replaced both u-joints, as they were shot. While I was in there I had my buddy turn both rotors down, so the brakes are working great now. I tore apart the rear driveshaft, including the double cardan, and inspected everything, still trying to find that weird noise.. FINALLY, I found the cause; one of the roller bearings in the ball-crossbar piece that installs between the 2 u-joints had actually fallen inside the small hole in the bottom, and was binding as the driveshaft rotated. I suppose when I built the shaft the first time, I wasn't careful enough with the damn thing and knocked the bearings out of place. There was no way I could get the bearing out of that little compartment without cutting the piece in half, so I scrapped it and installed a new one. I was much more careful this time upon assembly! The noise is gone, and the driveshaft works perfectly.. thank god. Another issue I had was that I made the shaft slightly too short when I'd cut it down last year, so the edge of splines in the slip yoke were showing. I found a longer slip yoke in my pile of parts in the shop and installed it, so the d-shaft is now the correct length.
Anyway, these are the hazards of making stuff yourself. heh
Yesterday, I also had to replace the lift pump that feeds fuel to the injector pump, as it was dying. I guess 179,000 miles is all it had in it. Not a bad life though.
I bought a Dana 44 trac-loc carrier off ebay for $70, and it looks to be in great shape. There's almost no wear on it. Since the front pinion seal and both inner axle seals are leaking on my truck, I'll replace them all when I install the trac-loc. Soon I will have true 4 wheel drive!
1978 Bronco Custom, 6" skyjacker & 3" body lift, 37x12.50R16.5s, posi front diff, 3.50 gears, Dynamic Racing C6 w/billet 1200 rpm converter, upgraded brakes, '91 Cummins 12V, Denny T fuel pin, injection pump maxed out & timing advanced, 3800 gov. spring, 60# valve springs, ARP head studs, 4" exhaust.