4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 235 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 12:55 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1989 FSB EB 351W C6 stock
Outstanding build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
hey all its not a question... but does anyone have a 1979 dana 44 steering knuckle they would be interested in selling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 235 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 05:14 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 79 Ranger XLT, 79 4 Door Bronco
Inspiring build, after reading this I now want to find a 79 crew cab and a 5.9!

79TIME
post #83 of 235 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 12:21 AM

Bronco Info: 2004 LR DiscoII It's pronounced "Fjord"......
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Thunder View Post
I am tech stupid, and I am fighting this right now. I ends in the atmosphere...

S goes back to the ignition switch?

Can I just run it to the keyed side of the coil?

Or where do I take under the hood to make it work?

I have a brand new alt, and a brand new regulator, and for that matter a brand new regulator plug, and I get nothing. Brought the truck home from VautoZone on borrowed batteries tonight, so mine could deep charge.

Hp me out here.. making this thing charge, and a healthy bleed are all it needs to be a driver.

All purpose rig under construction.. stay tuned!

post #84 of 235 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1978 Cummins Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydesdale View Post
I am tech stupid, and I am fighting this right now. I ends in the atmosphere...

S goes back to the ignition switch?

Can I just run it to the keyed side of the coil?

Or where do I take under the hood to make it work?

I have a brand new alt, and a brand new regulator, and for that matter a brand new regulator plug, and I get nothing. Brought the truck home from VautoZone on borrowed batteries tonight, so mine could deep charge.

Hp me out here.. making this thing charge, and a healthy bleed are all it needs to be a driver.
Honestly, I hate electrical too.. It's my least favorite thing to work on. I found out how to wire the Dodge/Cummins alt to the Ford volt regulator on another forum, because it's so common for the Dodge guys to use the Ford regs when their stock one goes bad.

Yeah, S is hooked to key-on power, so the keyed side of the coil should work. I is unused. What style alternator are you using?

1978 Bronco Custom, 6" skyjacker & 3" body lift, 37x12.50R16.5s, posi front diff, 3.50 gears, Dynamic Racing C6 w/billet 1200 rpm converter, upgraded brakes, '91 Cummins 12V, Denny T fuel pin, injection pump maxed out & timing advanced, 3800 gov. spring, 60# valve springs, ARP head studs, 4" exhaust.
post #85 of 235 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 12:44 AM

This:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...03_29017_3389_

into this regulator...
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...mString=search

post #86 of 235 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 12:47 AM

You show in your diagram, one of the two terminals being ground, I believe my alt to have a chassis ground, and the guy at the parts store, called one of my two plugged terminals, F and the other S. I think my problem si simple as the alt not grounding. DO I assume the one terminal is ground?

post #87 of 235 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 08:06 AM

Bronco Info: 79 Bronco XLT
Thats nice!
post #88 of 235 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 12:11 PM

Bronco Info: 84 FSB with a 6.9 diesel/zf 5, supercharger, and 33s.
WAIT...pump the brakes there cowboy, you need to look into a 3g setup instead of that one listed above. I went when my setup was a gasser and you never get the dim lights and all that goes with it at night. Do a search for 3g and Fireguy and look at his tech writeups for the install and wiring diagrams.

SWS

After Midnight Project music. Subscribe and see how good they are, and how good you will feel.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HPBejDwWVI
post #89 of 235 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

How much does that 3G setup cost? I've heard it mentioned before. I already had the alternator that came with the Cummins, which is 130 amps, so buying the $20 voltage regulator to make it work in my truck was a great deal. If the Alternator blows, I can get a new one at Napa for $90, and they're in stock, so that's a good thing, too. No more dim lights in my truck with the high output Cummins alternator on it. What's the stock '78 Ford unit putting out, maybe 55 amps?

Tonight I was messing around with the grill on my truck, repairing 2 of the mountings tabs. I decided to drill 2 holes and install a chrome Bronco emblem from the fender of a Bronco II on the grill of my '78. I like the way it looks; It reminds me of the emblem on my '77 Mustang.

1978 Bronco Custom, 6" skyjacker & 3" body lift, 37x12.50R16.5s, posi front diff, 3.50 gears, Dynamic Racing C6 w/billet 1200 rpm converter, upgraded brakes, '91 Cummins 12V, Denny T fuel pin, injection pump maxed out & timing advanced, 3800 gov. spring, 60# valve springs, ARP head studs, 4" exhaust.
post #90 of 235 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 12:34 AM

I went with a 94 amp GM alt, easiest cross reference would be 85 Riviera... 7292-9 is the duralast part number, lifetime warranty, then I went across the street (literally) to NAPA and bought a goody made by Wilson that plugs into the 2 wire plug on the side, the trigger wire has adiode in it, and loops to the hot wire (#1 and #2 respectively), you then take the hot wire to the battery post on the arseof the alt.. and boom! $74 for a one wire 94 amp alternator.

post #91 of 235 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 12:41 PM

I went to "You wrench it" and got the Alt for $20. Modified the cable to hook it up and was in business.

SWS

After Midnight Project music. Subscribe and see how good they are, and how good you will feel.
post #92 of 235 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 12:53 PM

Bronco Info: 1994 Bronco 5.0 liter e4od factory MAF, 130 amp 3g, auxillary transmission filter and cooler.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydesdale View Post
I went with a 94 amp GM alt
boooooooooo!

My Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/pfun41#p/a
The going get tough, the tough get debt
Don't pay attention, pay the rent
Next of kins pay for your sins
A little faith should keep us safe
post #93 of 235 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 01:17 PM

Simple Easy done. 1 wire from alt to body harness of solenoid.

post #94 of 235 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 11:51 PM

The 3g is pretty much a 2 wire. One from the ignition, one to the battery. You have to make the jumper from the pre-existing wiring and then volia.

SWS

post #95 of 235 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 12:01 AM

Complete hijack, but, s.w.s. have you worked out your final drive yet? I bet our trucks are almost identically mannered on the freeway. Only I weigh more.

post #96 of 235 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 01:04 AM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: BRONCO 78. Never End Project
nice black smoking bronco!!!!! congrats my friend!

Full Size 78, Dana 60īs, 5.13 gears, ARB lockers, 41" Iroks, and a lot of love and patience!!
post #97 of 235 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 01:59 PM

If you want, I will find the thread for you on the 3g and give you a link. Seriously though, with a taurus fan and the copper connector, it was a $20-30 swap including the gas to get to the yard.

Check my thread on the 80-96 forum. It goes in today and will be running by next week. It is complete (as for the install complet) and after the install, I will add the starter and others. But I am ready to rock.

SWS

post #98 of 235 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

I tore apart the t-case since I was fairly sure it was making the noise I'd been hearing, plus it was leaking from every seal. After inspecting everything, all the bearings looked perfect, so I installed all the new seals and put it back together. I tore down the rear axle, installed 2 new bearings and seals, as they were also leaking, and I re-installed the Detroit Locker carrier. I also had to replace one of the pins that holds the brake shoes in place, because it had broken for whatever reason. I tore apart both front hubs, removed the axles, and replaced both u-joints, as they were shot. While I was in there I had my buddy turn both rotors down, so the brakes are working great now. I tore apart the rear driveshaft, including the double cardan, and inspected everything, still trying to find that weird noise.. FINALLY, I found the cause; one of the roller bearings in the ball-crossbar piece that installs between the 2 u-joints had actually fallen inside the small hole in the bottom, and was binding as the driveshaft rotated. I suppose when I built the shaft the first time, I wasn't careful enough with the damn thing and knocked the bearings out of place. There was no way I could get the bearing out of that little compartment without cutting the piece in half, so I scrapped it and installed a new one. I was much more careful this time upon assembly! The noise is gone, and the driveshaft works perfectly.. thank god. Another issue I had was that I made the shaft slightly too short when I'd cut it down last year, so the edge of splines in the slip yoke were showing. I found a longer slip yoke in my pile of parts in the shop and installed it, so the d-shaft is now the correct length.
Anyway, these are the hazards of making stuff yourself. heh

Yesterday, I also had to replace the lift pump that feeds fuel to the injector pump, as it was dying. I guess 179,000 miles is all it had in it. Not a bad life though.
I bought a Dana 44 trac-loc carrier off ebay for $70, and it looks to be in great shape. There's almost no wear on it. Since the front pinion seal and both inner axle seals are leaking on my truck, I'll replace them all when I install the trac-loc. Soon I will have true 4 wheel drive!

post #99 of 235 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 10:49 PM

Great build. Looks good.
post #100 of 235 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 07:32 PM

great build, i hope to put a power stroke in mine some day.

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 1978-'79 Bronco Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode