Interior Panel Templates Available - Ford Bronco Forum
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 161 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Certified Asshat

Bronco Info: Dentside Bronco & '04 Excursion XLT
Interior Panel Templates Available

EDIT:

You're welcome to read through the good stuff about how this came to be, but the Reader's Digest version is this: BikerPepe kicked in some cash to cover printing costs, my buddy kicked in some SolidWorks expertise to create the file and I contributed a stock panel and many trips to the print shop to test the various iterations. The file is now publicly available on "der Interwebz" on my company's website... go download the file and follow the instructions on my site to print your very own panel templates. PLEASE SHARE PHOTOS AND ACCOUNTS OF YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH THE FILE -- NOBODY I'VE SENT IT TO HAS TOLD ME ABOUT WHETHER IT WORKED FOR THEM. I KNOW THE TWO SHOPS I HAD PRODUCE THEM TURNED OUT VERY CLOSE APPROXIMATIONS (WITHIN 1/8") BUT WANT TO HEAR AND SEE FEEDBACK.

Thanks, Pepe, for the seed money and jowens1126 for trying to convert my Crayola wannabe originals to actual files... I finally had to just donate one to the cause and have my buddy Tim do a hands-on reproduction rather than rely on my artistic abilities.

Without further ado... the link. http://www.mysocialinsight.com/downloads.html
END EDIT

Having seen a handful of threads asking if anybody had good templates for the rear interior panels on a 1978-1979 Bronco, I just created full-size templates using a set of factory panels. If you want the template, you pay the rate to have them copied and shipped (large format copies are pricey but I will do it at cost so this is NOT a for-sale thread and hopefully won't need to go to the Classifieds). Honest cost -- no markup. Copies + mailing tube + postage.

Template includes knockouts for factory armrests. Passenger side had an ash tray and an optional knockout for the interior spare tire carrier. I think I even got all the mounting holes where they meet those little "rails" marked. The factory included a bead around the perimeter which is shown in the pics but I didn't attempt to include those.

If one of you wants to pay the scan charges, I will post the digital image files for free on the interwebz. I have no clue what they'd charge me for it but will get quotes if you're interested.

Assistant Template Artist Abigail not included.

Both panels are mirror images of each other (lined them up in the photo for demonstration) except for the ash tray and spare tire knockouts.

Not interested in making money on this -- I'd prefer to see somebody restore/modify their Bronco with these. (Please don't send it to the Classifieds, mods. )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 161 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 02:50 AM
Harley's & Bronco's FTW!

Bronco Info: '95 XLT, 5.8/E4OD/MassAir/6" lift/4.56's/35x12.5 BFG AT-KO2
Garage
cute kid.

FREE STICKERS!
$1 ea.

hmmm... I can see what's up here and it's totally cool of you to do. Let's try to get this into a digital download format or something, then you're giving it to your fellow members. Technically, you are still "selling" something but I realize you're only covering cost to produce and ship to the recipient.
Hell... even if it's in digital... I don't have anything to print something like that out on.

Tough one. I'd hate to have to send this to the classifieds, where it might never be seen again. We could still leave a thread here and just point to one there... but that's kinda lame too. Tough call speedy... I'm going to leave it here.

AND... I'd like one of those. My ol' lady's '78 RXLT has 80's panels stuck in the back. They provide the armrest and ashtray, the even fit well over the wheel-well, but the ends are a crap-tastic fit and I've either got to trim them to fit properly or more likely, replace them with upholstered wood panels or diamond plate, if I'm feelin' real gaudy.

"When life throws you a curve... LEAN INTO IT!"

SuperMotors - Since 2002
post #3 of 161 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Certified Asshat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerPepe` View Post
cute kid.
Thanks. I'm partial to her myself.

Quote:
hmmm... I can see what's up here and it's totally cool of you to do. Let's try to get this into a digital download format or something, then you're giving it to your fellow members. Technically, you are still "selling" something but I realize you're only covering cost to produce and ship to the recipient.
Hell... even if it's in digital... I don't have anything to print something like that out on.
I should have pointed out that you can send or hand-deliver the digital file to your local print shop, FedEx Office, Staples, etc. and they can print it for you.

Quote:
Tough one. I'd hate to have to send this to the classifieds, where it might never be seen again. We could still leave a thread here and just point to one there... but that's kinda lame too. Tough call speedy... I'm going to leave it here.
That's exactly what I was trying to avoid. Hell, if we can get this scanned maybe I can create a separate thread with a link to it so that can become a sticky with a link to the free download and instructions on how to get it printed out. No sales.

Quote:
AND... I'd like one of those. My ol' lady's '78 RXLT has 80's panels stuck in the back. They provide the armrest and ashtray, the even fit well over the wheel-well, but the ends are a crap-tastic fit and I've either got to trim them to fit properly or more likely, replace them with upholstered wood panels or diamond plate, if I'm feelin' real gaudy.
This is exactly what I've seen in 20 other threads. Guys want to make something out of diamond plate or aluminum or plywood and just wish they could find a set of original panels on the cheap just to get the shape right. Get me a shipping zip code or would you like to contribute part of the scanning cost? :)

post #4 of 161 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 11:29 AM
Thread Killa

Bronco Info: 1994 Bronco Eddie Bauer edition, 302 MAF, E4OD
Save the drawing in DXF format (that is the universal CAD drawing format) and post it on supermotors or another image hosting site. Then its out there for anyone to download.

If you need help translating it over to a CAD format I will be happy to help. If you post up your scan links, I can download them and either re-draw them or rework them to a CAD format. This way the dimensions wont drift and will be exact. It will also be easier and more universal to have a print shop print off a set. Its possibly cheaper to print a CAD file than a picture file as well due to the fact that pictures use ink for much of the entire image and CAD only uses ink for the actual lines.

1994 EB Bronco, 302 MAF, E4OD, BW1356, Slightly Customized Interior
"Demanding something free on top of a discount is just being a Democrat. - Steve83"

My Build Thread - http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...d.php?t=191067
post #5 of 161 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 12:19 PM

I hope this goes through. I was interested in making some for my bronco as it had none when I got it. I had to go to the junkyard and buy some really crappy ones to trace.

1990 Bronco XLT, 5.8L, E4OD
1979 Bronco XLT Ranger, 6.6L, C6
post #6 of 161 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Certified Asshat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jowens1126 View Post
Save the drawing in DXF format (that is the universal CAD drawing format) and post it on supermotors or another image hosting site. Then its out there for anyone to download.

If you need help translating it over to a CAD format I will be happy to help. If you post up your scan links, I can download them and either re-draw them or rework them to a CAD format. This way the dimensions wont drift and will be exact. It will also be easier and more universal to have a print shop print off a set. Its possibly cheaper to print a CAD file than a picture file as well due to the fact that pictures use ink for much of the entire image and CAD only uses ink for the actual lines.
I like your suggestions. I'll call a local shop (or three) for scan quotes. If it's not too bad I'll foot the bill. Then you can turn it into a DWG or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobsjo87 View Post
I hope this goes through. I was interested in making some for my bronco as it had none when I got it. I had to go to the junkyard and buy some really crappy ones to trace.
The paper version is easy enough. If you want to wait for the digital file...well...we'll see how that goes.
post #7 of 161 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 12:48 PM
Redneck Engineer

Bronco Info: 79 Bronco Ranger XLT C6 35's
This is a great idea. I will be looking for this one of these days when my build get's closer to being finished. Thanks for doing this!
post #8 of 161 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Certified Asshat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79BroncoSpringTx View Post
This is a great idea. I will be looking for this one of these days when my build get's closer to being finished. Thanks for doing this!
Hope it helps! (And don't thank me yet! All I've done so far is trace a panel onto a couple sheets of butcher paper! )
post #9 of 161 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 02:18 PM
Harley's & Bronco's FTW!

Garage
But you've presented an idea to help out many of us. We should probably have someone do the same thing for the newer models years too... just to cover all the bases and truly help out ALL FSB owners.

I'd donate a few bucks to the scan process, just to help get the ball rolling.

SuperMotors - Since 2002
post #10 of 161 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Certified Asshat

jowens... can you convert a PDF to a usable drawing file? First place I called can only scan to PDF. I'm trying others now.
post #11 of 161 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Certified Asshat

I think we can forget the money part. I just spoke to a vendor nearby who can get it done for less than 5 bucks including converting it to a DXF.
post #12 of 161 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 04:53 PM

Speedy, you're offering a great favor to those in need. I know, I just made a pair of diamond plate rear panels, your templates would have been invaluable to help locate the retaining holes. I've a couple of pictures in this thread http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...=1#post4508210

Pepe, good call. With no financial gain, it's free help.

SOLD : 1979 Bronco, 460ci swap, 6" lift with 38s, rebuilt Dana 60 front with ARB locker, Chevy 14-bolt rear with ARB locker and disc brakes, TripleSix custom Bumpers, 12k Winch, + MUCH more..
post #13 of 161 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 05:21 PM
Thread Killa

If it can be put on the computer screen, I can convert it to CAD. doesnt matter what format it is. PDF is actually easy.

"Demanding something free on top of a discount is just being a Democrat. - Steve83"

post #14 of 161 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 02:31 AM
Harley's & Bronco's FTW!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Builder10 View Post
Yea well, trust me... it's a fine line and I know someone is going to try and take advantage of it, sadly.

SuperMotors - Since 2002
post #15 of 161 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Certified Asshat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Builder10 View Post
Speedy, you're offering a great favor to those in need. I know, I just made a pair of diamond plate rear panels, your templates would have been invaluable to help locate the retaining holes. I've a couple of pictures in this thread http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...=1#post4508210

Well, thanks. I hope somebody gets to use them -- and I owe you an apology. I "was gonna" do this about a year ago and they've literally sat against my wall that long. I was about to throw them in the rafters and decided to just get it done. It took me maybe 15 minutes from start to finish but I put it off for a year.

Obviously you got them done (and they look sharp, btw) but had I not been so lazy, you'd have been able to use templates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jowens1126 View Post
If it can be put on the computer screen, I can convert it to CAD. doesnt matter what format it is. PDF is actually easy.
Excellent! I take it you will need some kind of scale marker, though, right? I can mark off a scale indicator on there if needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerPepe` View Post
Yea well, trust me... it's a fine line and I know someone is going to try and take advantage of it, sadly.
I know, but once they're scanned and FREE TO THE WORLD, this won't be a for sale thread at all. We'll just make a new one (speedy's first sticky? ) with only the links and no talk of money. We can put together some instructions for people on how/where to get them printed, etc.
post #16 of 161 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 01:25 PM

Bronco Info: 79 Bronco Ranger XLT/400/Auto/37" tires
check for a construction reprographics place in your area. the cost just to scan should be next to nothing. you should put a scale on it before scanning though.

I would love to have a set of these, as i'm planning on making all new interior panels (i'll take the fronts if you have those too.)
post #17 of 161 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 02:21 PM
Thread Killa

you can always scan it with a ruler taped to the panel in a non critical area.

post #18 of 161 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Certified Asshat

Good idea. I do have some panels. They're messed up but the dimensions are right. I can figure out how to get the screw holes on there somehow.
post #19 of 161 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 01:50 AM Thread Starter
Certified Asshat

Finished... check this out.

I put a scale on them since I don't have a flexible measuring tape. You have to remember that the scanner they're going to use is a slit-scanner, not a platen scanner so the measuring tape would have to "feed" through it like the top of a copy machine.

Anyway -- I had a factory Ford door panel with the P/N D5TB-1023890-AW-RH.6 molded into the back, so I used that. The mounting holes in the plastic were shot to hell so I drilled clear through the panel where the original holes were and made a mark where the screw hole should be on your panels. The window crank hole was a bitch to make round, so I made a mark dead center and noted beside it the correct hole diameter since the drawing was wavy.

I also had a lower door panel that isn't found on every truck, but that one had lots of holes in it that were almost certainly not factory. I marked the ones I could tell were original and put dots where the extra(?) holes were.

All drawings have a scale indicator on them, as well as notes on what holes do what... except the two perfectly round ~1" holes on the rear panel -- anybody know why those are there? They were upholstered over at the factory, never punched so I don't know what they are.

Did what I have the tools to do. Hope it works out for you guys. I'll go get them scanned tomorrow or Friday. Spent the better part of 4 hours on these three little templates between stripping the upholstery off and making my notes all over them.

Oh well. It's for a good cause. The first guy to use them owes me pictures of his handiwork.
78_shorthorn likes this.
post #20 of 161 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 07:20 AM

Bronco Info: 79 Bronco Ranger XLT/400/Auto/37" tires
this is awesome! you're the man, speedy.
78_shorthorn likes this.

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 1978-'79 Bronco Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode