Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Headers or exhaust manifolds

5K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  trustyrusty 
#1 ·
Rebuilding my 400 in my 79 Bronco, should I stick with stock exhaust manifolds or switch to headers, what are the advantages of headers.

#2 ·
headers will definitely help it breathe better for sure
a decent set of headers will help low end torque and upper rpm hp if set up with a good exhaust
stock manifolds will be much less pain in the ass to hook up exhaust to and will it not need to be replaced every few years if you drive it in the winter

you already have the manifolds so you don't need to spend extra $

as far as headers,i have tried a few different makes over the almost 25 yrs I have had my bronco and the only ones I have used more than once are the hooker competition ones as I found they fit and sound best
that is what is on my truck now
if you do get headers get them ceramic coated INSIDE and out

#3 ·
trustyrusty summed it up.

I was looking into this several months ago when I had my manifold-back custom exhaust done. As no one really seems to make a header that fits well (I think Sanderson w/the adapter plate is the exception) for our 78/79's, I am going to try a little port work on my manifolds first. I have them, they're free and they don't leak.

I've tried searching but I don't think I found any real feedback on someone doing this in a 78/79 with a 400.

That said, just my new manifold back 3" exhaust with the custome y-pipe and Flowmaster Delta 44 made a very noticeable difference across the rev range.

#5 ·
both times I have used the hooker comp headers they fit very well out of the box,they are full length headers,i never had to retorque header bolts at manifold or collector nor any leaks
actually never had any leaks at either end of any headers I have installed over the years that was not rust through related

on the hooker,the drivers header dumps in a way you need to do a quick 90 and run across the truck to run up passenger side (the way I have it now) or a couple elbows and fancy bends to go up and over the cross member and clear the front drive shaft( good clearance is very possible with 2 1/2 pipe)

if you look up the dual exhaust hooker sells for the 78-9 bronco it runs left header out to right side of truck

#12 ·
here are a few pics as promised
took them in the dark a couple minutes ago as I got home late tonight
mainly of left header as that is biggest issue
the collector hangs down about even with the trans crossmember
I have never hit the headers ,but I don't rock crawl either
my truck has 2'' lift springs

I would use these headers again in an instant and have been really happy with them,except the fact that they are starting to rust away,but that is not the headers fault,damn salt in the winter,and the fact that I never wash the damn thing

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.