• 5 Post By grovermyson
  • 1 Post By trustyrusty
  • 2 Post By grovermyson

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1978 Custom 351M 62,000 miles
Emissions- Look what I found

I was going through some of my books and came across this brand new-original ford emissions sticker for the valve cover of my 78. I came across this on eBay about eight years ago and totally forgot about it. I'm going to scan a hi-res version and enhance it to match mine exactly. This one is very close but needs a little work. Then get it printed as a coated sticker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 07:25 PM
MDG

Bronco Info: 1978 Ranger XLT, 400cid (rebuilt) with "additions", C6 auto, stock driveline, 32" BFG AT KO.
They sure don't have those anywhere. Only seen the emissions spec version. The one in mi BKO is really ragged and has some paint on it (from a engine rebuild about ten years back) but readable. Been thinking about remaking mine like you are. Just have to match the carb spec on the bottom. That's a unicorn find right there!

'78 Ranger XLT- rebuilt 400 cid, aluminum intake, 4bbl carb, stock dist, stock ign - C6 Auto - 3in Flowmaster exhaust- Stock driveline - 32" BFG AT KO on rusty "modular" wheels - Protofab front bumper
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Yeah the "Distributor Point" data is different on mine along with the D8TE suffix letters at the end. Not sure when I'll get to it but I'll make you one if you send me a pic of yours....

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 11:14 PM

Bronco Info: 78 Bronco 400/C6/NP205, 9" rear, Dana 44 front
Daaaaaammmnn! That's awesome. One of the main reason I haven't changed my valve covers is because my sticker is original and very ledgible. Makes it easy for the Colorado emissions tech freaks.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2016, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

So Steve, the Colorado emissions tech actually looks at your sticker?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2016, 09:41 AM

Bronco Info: driving a 78 rusty piece o crap owned 23 yrs, and working on another 78 bronco,mint,460
Garage
that is awesome!
sweet find indeed

my truck too had a non catalyst decal on it when I got it
of coarse I stupidly removed it almost a quarter century ago when I rebuilt the engine and had the covers hot tanked
I need to find one of these to stick on my truck when it is done
even though it will have a 460, it is still getting the 351 valve cover decal
as emission police around here are getting strict on old vehicles that have been modified
RAMPNT1 likes this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grovermyson View Post
So Steve, the Colorado emissions tech actually looks at your sticker?
Correct. They do a visual inspection of required components and a sniffer test.
They saw that a 79 required all the cats and smog equipment and didn't believe that a 78 didn't. Idiots. I showed them the sticker on the valve cover and that helped them do more research.

What actually got me through was the 6400 GVWR on the door jam plate. Since it was over 6000 GVWR it was exempt. Again, these idiots don't believe the data provided to them via whatever system they use.

Luckily a 78 qualified for antique/collector plates so I only have to do emissions every 5 years. Another stupid thing. Even if you have a Model T, they make you do this crap.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2016, 10:47 AM

Bronco Info: 1978 Ranger XLT 351M / C6
Quote:
Originally Posted by trustyrusty View Post
that is awesome!
sweet find indeed

my truck too had a non catalyst decal on it when I got it
of coarse I stupidly removed it almost a quarter century ago when I rebuilt the engine and had the covers hot tanked
I need to find one of these to stick on my truck when it is done
even though it will have a 460, it is still getting the 351 valve cover decal
as emission police around here are getting strict on old vehicles that have been modified
I've wondered why more people don't do that. I doubt some smog tech is going to be able tell the difference between a 400 and a 460.

1978 Bronco XLT Ranger: 351M with Edelbrock intake, FAST EZ EFI 2.0, FAST dual sync dizzy, FAST E6 ignition box, Wild Horses Hydroboost and Sag pump kit, C6 Trans, Dana 44 front and 9" rear

Jim
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2016, 02:23 PM

Agreed. The only issue, at least here in CO, is that the emissions levels at the idle and 2500 rpm tests must match the motor equipped in the vehicle per the VIN. So say you have a 351M sticker but your are running a 460 (that, yes, I agree, these guys don't know the difference) and your levels are higher than the 351M, they may fail you.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2016, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

I headed down to the garage to see what my door sticker read. So at 6100lbs i"m good right?
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2016, 03:05 PM

Not sure about TN emissions or even the county you live in may be unique, but 6000 GVWR seems to be a pretty common threshold
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 01:11 AM
MDG

Bronco Info: 1978 Ranger XLT, 400cid (rebuilt) with "additions", C6 auto, stock driveline, 32" BFG AT KO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grovermyson View Post
Yeah the "Distributor Point" data is different on mine along with the D8TE suffix letters at the end. Not sure when I'll get to it but I'll make you one if you send me a pic of yours....
I'll have to get some better light in there for a picture. I have to stop being lazy, too. And thanks. Probably will be better than my bad photoshop skills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78BroncoSteve View Post
Correct. They do a visual inspection of required components and a sniffer test.
They saw that a 79 required all the cats and smog equipment and didn't believe that a 78 didn't. Idiots. I showed them the sticker on the valve cover and that helped them do more research.

What actually got me through was the 6400 GVWR on the door jam plate. Since it was over 6000 GVWR it was exempt. Again, these idiots don't believe the data provided to them via whatever system they use.

Luckily a 78 qualified for antique/collector plates so I only have to do emissions every 5 years. Another stupid thing. Even if you have a Model T, they make you do this crap.
I had a huge amount of trouble with this and mine. Even getting an exhaust pipe in to replace a rusted/dented one and they refused due to "It needs cats because of the year." Even after I rebuilt the emissions and passed with amazing results, they didn't want to believe it and made me get a second test.

Most places have no clue about the over 6000lb cutoff for the '78 models (except for CA models), and most don't even care. They just shrug you off.

Mine passed the local age limit on vehicles so it is now an antique. I no longer have to get emissions tested. I haven't done any upgrades to the engine yet. The first registration after the antique notice will be in August, and I expect them to pull some weird law out of their piehole to make me have emissions tests again, just to try to get a fail on it.

It gives me a headache.

And makes me rant.

'78 Ranger XLT- rebuilt 400 cid, aluminum intake, 4bbl carb, stock dist, stock ign - C6 Auto - 3in Flowmaster exhaust- Stock driveline - 32" BFG AT KO on rusty "modular" wheels - Protofab front bumper
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 12:07 PM

Bronco Info: 78 351/NP435, lifted 4", 33s. 79 in progress, built 400, low gear C6, lots more to come.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78BroncoSteve View Post
Not sure about TN emissions or even the county you live in may be unique, but 6000 GVWR seems to be a pretty common threshold
Unless it's changed since I lived in TN, only the counties containing a main city (Nashville, Memphis, Chattanooga, and etc.), or bordering those counties, require emissions testing for vehicles 1975 and newer. The computer tells them what is required by year. My 79 required cats, intact exhaust, and sniffed. My 78 required an intact exhaust and sniffed. My 75 pickup was inspected for an intact exhaust, and sniffed. They looked under the hood of all 3, but not really looking for anything like EGR. They might have entered in the computer that they had aftermarket fuel/intake systems, I don't remember well enough.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Felt lazy today. Decided to Photoshop the emissions decal for the valve cover. Looks pretty good. Ill have to get this printed on high temp sticker paper. Not sure where though......

79BroncoSpringTx and beernut like this.

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 1978-'79 Bronco Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode