• 1 Post By mattoehler
  • 1 Post By the Son
  • 1 Post By mattoehler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 79 Ranger XLT 400M Auto
Garage
400m headgasket replacement advice

So for all of you most excellent engine builders and repairers out there I need a little advice. I have a small headgasket leak on the passenger side head, right up in front by the thermostat housing. How difficult is it, and for that matter is it even advisable, to remove the intake and heads with the motor still in the truck or is it worth pulling the whole deal out and just replacing everything. I have no idea when the last gasket set was done on this vehicle. Just wanting some more experienced opinions on an economical route, both time wise and monetarily speaking. Thanks everyone!!

"Capitalism is the only way, it's what makes America great, England okay, and France terrible."

Ron Swanson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 11:11 PM
gone fish'n

Bronco Info: pile of parts
plenty of room to do it in the truck.
locopny and mrbollero like this.

'01 F250, 444ci of straight piped oil burning fun. 4x4, 6 spd, GTP38R noise maker, Stage 2 injektorz. Lotsa fun!

Let's Go Fishing.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 09:14 AM

Bronco Info: 1996 EB, 351w, basically stock. 1981 custom 351m, long gone.
Garage
you can do it in the truck. and i am generally a believer in fixing what's broken and leaving the rest. if you want you could get the heads rebuilt, but that may not even be worth it. maybe it would make you feel better to paint he valve covers, or something. then you would be doing something "while you're at it".
mrbollero likes this.

it's fun to do bad things

my "build" thread

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 06:16 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 79 Bronco
Heads are heavy, so be ready for. If you have A/C, a couple of the head bolts on the passenger side head may be difficult to remove, if I remember right I loosened them but did not remove them till I removed the head.
locopny likes this.

3G Alt. Upgrade, Duel Batteries, 351M bored .030 over with Edlebrock cam and intake, C-6 w/AO4D internals, 3" lift w/RS 9000, 33x12.50 MTR's, Saginaw PS Pump Conversion, On Board Air, Detroit Locker, Hydro Boost Brake System, Altimeter from a CH-46D, Map Light from a MH-53E.

U. S. Government - Wasting paper and keeping Lumber Jacks gainfully employed since 1776.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-06-2016, 12:08 PM

Bronco Info: 1978 & 1990
Garage
yeas the heads are heavy, but here is something to consider, if you pull the heads, then you can have them rebuilt and a slight porting of the intake and exhaust openings plus you can remove a freeze plug on both side of the block and flush the entire block. this can all be done with the motor still in the engine bay. There are other things that can be done but it depends on the $$$ and your skills and needs.
IN my OPINION
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-06-2016, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
That's where I'm at an impasse. leave the engine in the truck, save some time, just replace the head gasket, save some money. And drive the thing until something else goes on it. Or, pull the engine and make sure everything is good to go and have that peace of mind for the next 10 years that everything I did makes the engine good. More time and money to go that way. I've got Tom Monroe's building small block fords book I've been looking through. I'm still torn about what to do. I do appreciate the insights for sure. Thanks guys!!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 10:33 AM
OX1
Fullsize Member

I would do a compression test, leakdown test, oil pressure test with real guage
(if you don't have one) and pull the oil pan and check a set of bearings.

If all those are much better than average, I would pull motor for full re-gasket.
If all those tests reveal even average compr or bearing life, oil pressure, etc...,
I might just repair head gasket in truck and start building up a whole new motor, little by little.
garryh likes this.

79 XLT, 400/C6/mog 404's/42 IROKS, 8.5" lift.
79 XLT, 400/C6/D60-D44 8 lug, 2" lift, 35 BFG AT
74 Bronc build, 408/C6/Black Box/205/406 mogs/43 SX stickies

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 10:49 AM

Bronco Info: 79 V8 C6/205
If you have the equipment, engine hoist and engine stand etc, i would pull it. It can be done without yanking it but i don't know how much time it really saves leaving it in there. For myself anyway it's easier to do a thorough job on the stand then leaning in there breaking your back. Also if you take it out i would re-gasket the entire engine at that time if it is mechanically sound.

As previously mentioned if it has A/C it's gonna be tough to get that head off. Easiest to remove the A/C housing then work on the head.

.http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26328&dateline=121233  5329
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by norm View Post
If you have the equipment, engine hoist and engine stand etc, i would pull it. It can be done without yanking it but i don't know how much time it really saves leaving it in there. For myself anyway it's easier to do a thorough job on the stand then leaning in there breaking your back. Also if you take it out i would re-gasket the entire engine at that time if it is mechanically sound.

As previously mentioned if it has A/C it's gonna be tough to get that head off. Easiest to remove the A/C housing then work on the head.

The whole leaning over barely able to work on something isn't that appealing. I'm not 20 anymore, I've got money, might as well get a hoist and stand and do it the right way right? the regasket kits are only like $60 from summit which is very reasonable. Just got a harbor freight near me for the crane and stand. I know some people hate them but for things that are simple machines, jacks, cranes, just bought the 56 inch upper tool cabinet, I think they are top notch. Plus the hoist and stand will come in handy when I pick up my next project. I've got a line on 100% complete 59 F100 with 292 v8 that the wife and I are planning on redoing together. So with that in mind it makes sense to buy those things anyway, well if not making sense at least helps justify the expense!

Thanks for the input! I'll keep everyone posted when I make my final decision.
mrbollero likes this.

"Capitalism is the only way, it's what makes America great, England okay, and France terrible."

Ron Swanson
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1 View Post
I would do a compression test, leakdown test, oil pressure test with real guage
(if you don't have one) and pull the oil pan and check a set of bearings.

If all those are much better than average, I would pull motor for full re-gasket.
If all those tests reveal even average compr or bearing life, oil pressure, etc...,
I might just repair head gasket in truck and start building up a whole new motor, little by little.
I like your idea of doing the leakdown test. I have a question though, with a known bad head gasket how effective would that test be? I'm leaning towards pulling it, regasketing it, and then putting it back in with the long term plan to find another 400 and rebuild it on my own. That way I get to drive the truck and still do a performance upgrade eventually. Thanks for the advice and I'll keep things updated when I finally decide.

Ron Swanson
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Okay,

So if I buy the felpro gasket set KS2308 from amazon it's $51.88, the felpro intake gasket 1240 is $26.28, a new 1,000 lb engine stand from harbor freight, less the 20% off coupon I have is $48 plus probably another $25 in rtv type sealant and stuff and I have an engine crane I can borrow to pull it so that's free.

$51.88
+26.28
+48.00
+25.00
= $151.16 to pull the engine and redo all the gaskets... not too bad.... plus I get an engine stand out of the deal...
79BroncoSpringTx and vrewald like this.

Ron Swanson
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 12:48 PM
Redneck Engineer

Bronco Info: 79 Bronco Ranger XLT C6 35's
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I got a powerbuilt 2 ton engine crane for $80 cash off Craigslist a week ago and am waiting to use my 25% off coupon on labor day at harbor freight on the 1,000 lb engine stand then I can get the garage prepped to work on the engine. Hopefully some time in September I'll tackle it. Thanks!
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 07:58 PM

Bronco Info: 79 V8 C6/205
Good deal. Best way to tackle this i think.

.http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26328&dateline=121233  5329
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Snagged the 1,000 lb engine stand from harbor freight, used the 25% off labor day coupon got it for a cool $44.99, can't beat that price. I've got a bunch of smaller projects I'm going to be working on, plus bow season started on saturday and I may feel the need to go chase elk around the mountains. When I get a chance to pull the engine I'll post some updates.
MATCHBOX likes this.

Ron Swanson
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 02:06 AM

Bronco Info: '79 Bronco Ranger XLT, lifted, locked, injected
Garage
Word of advice on the engine stand. Get a unit that has the gear reduction rotation built into it otherwise rotating the engine is a PITA.

'79 Ford Bronco: 408-ZF5-NP205 SEFI-EDIS8; 4" lift, Dana 44/Ford 9" w/4.10s, locked
'00 Mountaineer:5.0L-4R70W-3.73 gears, stock
'89 5.0L LX hatch: full 90mm Blowzilla blown Dart 304 w/Vic Jr heads + TMoss ported GT40 lower @ 8.4:1
'66 Mustang GT: 289, T5Z, 3.89 gears and a Truetrac
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 08:40 PM

Bronco Info: 78 351/NP435, lifted 4", 33s. 79 in progress, built 400, low gear C6, lots more to come.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaker666 View Post
Word of advice on the engine stand. Get a unit that has the gear reduction rotation built into it otherwise rotating the engine is a PITA.
A long time ago when I bought mine, I put a light coat of grease on the rotating parts (the shaft and sleeve for the engine bracket). I have never thought there was ANY trouble rotating an engine.
79BroncoSpringTx likes this.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Son View Post
A long time ago when I bought mine, I put a light coat of grease on the rotating parts (the shaft and sleeve for the engine bracket). I have never thought there was ANY trouble rotating an engine.
Update finally.

A long cheater bar pipe can definitely help along with some real good grease action. I have seen some mods with a crank style gear reduction thing welded on that looks pretty cool but I haven't gotten that far.

So the plan is to get the engine pulled and worked on over may and june. I picked up a local project a mile from my house and will be working 4 10's allowing for ample time on fridays to wrench on the old girl!!!

I'll keep things updated.
mrbollero likes this.

Ron Swanson

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 1978-'79 Bronco Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode