EGR Valve and Vacuum Stuff - Page 2 - Ford Bronco Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1978 Custom 351M 62,000 miles
Just another question after I install the electric choke on the 2150. Do I have to cap off the carb ports that those two hot air choke lines connected too?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 11:14 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 79 Bronco
I would say no as it's no going to hurt anything by leaving them open, but it wouldn't hurt to cap them off to prevent dirt from getting there and gumming up the works.

3G Alt. Upgrade, Duel Batteries, 351M bored .030 over with Edlebrock cam and intake, C-6 w/AO4D internals, 3" lift w/RS 9000, 33x12.50 MTR's, Saginaw PS Pump Conversion, On Board Air, Detroit Locker, Hydro Boost Brake System, Altimeter from a CH-46D, Map Light from a MH-53E.

U. S. Government - Wasting paper and keeping Lumber Jacks gainfully employed since 1776.
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Hey, Can I use this for my choke hot air source?

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 09:42 PM

Bronco Info: 1995 XLT 5.8 .040 Roller Cam X heads JBA headers 4" Skyjacker 33s 4:11s L/S rear Tru Trac front E4OD
No, that is intake air. There is an exhaust crossover built into the intake, that ford utilized. As you noted edelbrock did not utilize the exhaust crossover to heat the choke. Cold intake air will not suffice! Go electric, like Schwim said
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, I just purchased the Electric Choke Conversion kit online....
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 02:27 AM
Fullsize Member

OK - in post #8, picture of manifold, red circle - there is a fitting that goes in there that a vacuum line hooks to for emissions crap. If you've pulled all the emissions junk off your engine, then leave it plugged.

Without emissions crap you will hook your dizzy directly to the vacuum port that is located on the passenger side of the carb just below and slightly forward of the choke linkage.

Vacuum lines that are connected to the vacuum antler at the back of the engine are the brake booster, automatic transmission vacuum line (goes to the vacuum module on the back of the tranny), heater/air conditioning control (if you have A/C), cruise control and then connection(s) for emissions crap.
79BroncoSpringTx likes this.

3G Alt. Upgrade, Duel Batteries, 351M bored .030 over with Edlebrock cam and intake, C-6 w/AO4D internals, 3" lift w/RS 9000, 33x12.50 MTR's, Saginaw PS Pump Conversion, On Board Air, Detroit Locker, Hydro Boost Brake System, Altimeter from a CH-46D, Map Light from a MH-53E.

U. S. Government - Wasting paper and keeping Lumber Jacks gainfully employed since 1776.
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 09:54 AM
Resident Nice Guy

Bronco Info: 1979 Ranger XLT, 351m, 4 speed
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
Without emissions crap you will hook your dizzy directly to the vacuum port that is located on the passenger side of the carb just below and slightly forward of the choke linkage.
Not to hijack but since it's directly related: I can't run my vac on that port forward of the choke body. If I time it with the vac disconnected and then hook it up there, the detonation is so bad at all RPMs other than at idle, it can't be driven. I tried again yesterday after reading this and it performed the same. My vac line is hooked up at the rear top of the carb on the driver's side(done by mechanic).

Is this perhaps caused by something amiss with the carb or vac pot? I've read in multiple posts that the port you mention is what we should use on vehicles with the emissions removed but I just can't seem to get mine to work there.

This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

Schwim! A social site with an identity crisis.
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 01:22 PM
Redneck Engineer

Bronco Info: 79 Bronco Ranger XLT C6 35's
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 11:20 PM
Fullsize Member

schwim - At the moment I'm at a loss as to why you can't hook your dizzy to the vacuum port without issues. It would be interesting to see what sort of vacuum you're pulling between the two ports at idle and with some throttle applied. Do you have the two vacuum ports on the front of the carb spacer plugged?

post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:38 PM

Bronco Info: 1979 Custom 351m
Garage
Mine doesn't even have the vacuum advance hooked up and it runs great.
Well, to be more specific, there is a hose going to the distributor but it's hooked to a junction that is just open. It was that way when I bought it from the PO, and I haven't gone in to remove all of that stuff yet.

1979 Bronco Custom stock 351m, 33x10.5 BFG tires, Monstaliner paint job, work in progress!
Rusty Custom Build
post #31 of 32 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:04 PM
Resident Nice Guy

Bronco Info: 1979 Ranger XLT, 351m, 4 speed
Garage
A lot of people use nothing more than the mechanical advance located in the distributor. For all I know, the port mine is connected to is nothing more than a vent :) Using only mechanical, you usually get a bit more of a sluggish response when hitting the gas.

I will say that although I couldn't use it due to detonation, the dyno installed in the seat of my pants noticed an incredible improvement in response when I connected to the port in front of the choke.
mrbollero likes this.

This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

Schwim! A social site with an identity crisis.
post #32 of 32 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:09 PM

Bronco Info: 1979 Custom 351m
Garage
Yeah, after doing some reading I'm going to tinker with mine. Throttle response has been decent, but sluggish might be a good way to describe it. Weekend project! Need to replace the distributor cap and rotor anyway as I have them laying around.

1979 Bronco Custom stock 351m, 33x10.5 BFG tires, Monstaliner paint job, work in progress!
Rusty Custom Build

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 1978-'79 Bronco Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode