exhaust dumped in front of rearend - Page 2 - Ford Bronco Forum
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 07:31 AM

Bronco Info: 1996 EB, 351w, basically stock. 1981 custom 351m, long gone.
Garage
Are you guys kidding me? You don't drive with the window down? I do that ALL the time. Now i have the factory exit on the passenger side, but still. No exhaust gets in. Usually i have my front windows down in combination, but not always.

it's fun to do bad things

my "build" thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 10:21 AM

Bronco Info: '79 Custom
Yeah being a 4runner owner for 10 years, when the front window is cracked in conjunction with the rear being cracked, it allows a wonderful slipstream of air through.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

1995 BMW 540i
'79 SHTF Daily Build
1997 Toyota 4Runner (locked)
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 10:54 AM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 1978 Round headlight, 351M,C6, 9", 44/1991, 445 FE, t19, 205, Dana 60/70, MAF, Moet's
Garage
Dumping under the body gets a good buzz going, my Nova and Elcamino had headers with drag mufflers and turn downs right before the axle. Even though there was zero rust and good door seals exhaust would find its way in the passenger compartment anyhow. Of course when I was moving it was not an issue but during staging it was eye watering.

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 11:50 AM
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Bronco Info: 1992 xlt, 351EFI, .040, E4OD, D44 SAS w/Trutrac,Detroit locked 8.8, MAF conv, Tweeced
Garage
was doing some work on my exhaust to see if I could correct a problem where the rear outlet was interfering with the leaf springs. Anyway, I cut mine off right before the rear axle, put a turn down on it and angled it away from thh gas tank..that lasted about 2 days before I brought it up to a shop to get it fixed..

The exhaust exiting under the rig made it much to loud in the cab for my liking. In addition I was constantly smelling exhaust, a problem I didn't have before.
cheepsk8 likes this.
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 06:22 PM

Bronco Info: driving a 78 rusty piece o crap owned 23 yrs, and working on another 78 bronco,mint,460
Garage
personally would never end exhaust under a vehicle under any circumstance

it is the exhaust you cant smell that will kill you!!!
if you ever feel tired while driving your rig and you did not before you are being carbon monoxide poisoned
it is serious shit as I have almost died from it before when working at a mechanic shop where assholes other mechanics refused to hook up cars to exhaust fan with hoses while running in the shop
as an side note, I still see those guys today working at same said shop ,I left in 1999 and all the guys still there are really brain dead and have all kinds of issues,coincidence,i think not

there is a reason the factory put the tailpipe where they did,not because they had extra tubing to use

the bronco I am building I am exiting both tailpipes on the right where the factory did,it is difficult to get two 2 `2 1/2 tailpipes in there but it is possible as I have done it before
dash_cam likes this.
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1979 bronco 390 4 speed
Garage
The main thing I dont want is exhaust fumes coming inside so I am just going to leave the pipes turning out behind the tires.
marshallnoise likes this.
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 07:37 PM

Bronco Info: 1979 $300
when I did the shackle flip, I had to cut the exhaust pipes down. Now I get exhaust smell in the cab all the time! Granted my rear window seals are shot. I'm trying to figure out how to do a side exit without compromising ground clearance.

post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 09:59 AM

I might have read wrong but I would not dump exhaust anywhere under the body with a bronco the fumes are terrible. Right now I have straight pipes exiting in front of rear tire on both sides and only problem is it's loud as hell with the windows down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 02:16 PM
Foolsize Member

Bronco Info: They multiply when I'm not looking.
My 78 and my 92 both have turndowns in front of the rear axles. Im not dead yet nor have I ever smelled fumes, gotten lightheaded, tired, or otherwise.
That being said I keep my back windows up unless the side windows are open also, keep the air moving through the vehicle. I've just never really seen a side or rear exit system on a Bronco that I liked, so I just assume let it be hidden
vrewald likes this.

1992 XLT 300/M5OD
1978 Custom 351M/C6
1991 XLT 351W/Blown Up E4OD
1988 Custom 302/AOD
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 10:54 PM

Bronco Info: 96 bronco 5.0L 204k
I also have true dual flowmaster 40s and mine I cut right behind the muffler because the pipes ran straight into the left springs on my lift and cooked the paint away. When I cut mine I did notice it being a little bit deeper and more rumbley. There is still room above the muffler to mount an air tank and maybe a train horn (something I plan to do soon) but I have room to fully sit up in between the mufflers and the axle. My bronco is also lifted 6 inches and on 35s so that may help but beside the point. I personally like the sound of it cut off under the cab and I have not noticed any axle smog.

Mall crawler

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 1978-'79 Bronco Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode