Pesky Leak - Ford Bronco Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By wheelin'78

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 78 Bronco Ranger XLT, rebuilt 400ci bored .04 over, 4" lift currently running 33's.
Pesky Leak

Hey again guys, it's been a while since I have posted up but I have been lurking around. I was down for a while after another back surgery but am up again somewhat...for now at least

Anyway, I noticed on my bko that on the engine side of the return hose (top) for the radiator where the hose connects to the thermostat housing, I have a constant little leak. I have replaced the housing, I have replaced the hose and I have replaced the clamp. The only other thing I can do is keep cranking down on the hose clamp but they only get so tight too before the give up or cut into what they are clamping. Also, it is there no matter the engine running or not. I have tried to squeeze the hose and it doesn't make a noticeable difference in the leak flow.

It's not a critical leak, VERY small but I can see the stream on there front part of the housing where the coolant leaked from between the hose, clamp and housing. Annoying as hell as it stains everything it puddles on! I did notice that on both the old and new housings there is a kind of flat spot on it...it doesn't have the raised ridge that looks like it should go all the way around to create a locking seal inside the hose and the help to hold the clamp on.

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to get this irritating little leak to stop and if anyone else has the same issue?

'78 Ranger XLT, Line-X Coated, 400ci bored .040 over, Weiand 4 Barrel Intake, Holley 4160 600 CFM Carb, forged flat top pistons, 262/268 Isky Cam, Roller Rockers, 3G Alt w/dual belts, HEI Ignition, independent dual battery set up, 4.56 Gears w/rear Detroit Locker, C6 with shift kit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 11:03 AM

Bronco Info: 1981 w/302
From your description, I think I would start with another new thermostat housing and a new hose. This housing has the sealing ridge you mentioned.

More Information for DORMAN 9021028

nra1ifer

MADE America Great Again!!!!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 78 Bronco Ranger XLT, rebuilt 400ci bored .04 over, 4" lift currently running 33's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nra1ifer View Post
From your description, I think I would start with another new thermostat housing and a new hose. This housing has the sealing ridge you mentioned.

LOL...thats exactly the one that I got from Rock Auto...the hose too. I have replaced both with no luck still

'78 Ranger XLT, Line-X Coated, 400ci bored .040 over, Weiand 4 Barrel Intake, Holley 4160 600 CFM Carb, forged flat top pistons, 262/268 Isky Cam, Roller Rockers, 3G Alt w/dual belts, HEI Ignition, independent dual battery set up, 4.56 Gears w/rear Detroit Locker, C6 with shift kit.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nra1ifer View Post

Shit...looking again maybe this is the one I got. It has the flat spot clearly visible that I am talking about in my OP. For $7 I will order the other one and try it :) thanks man!!!

More Information for FOUR SEASONS 84876

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 11:21 AM

Which hose did you purchase? I try to stick with Gates.

Now, here is a dumb question: Is the hose installed properly? I notice in the pictures on Rock Auto that one end is a little bigger than the other. Can it even fit reversed?

nra1ifer

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

I got the gates hose...you could make if fit backwards I suppose but its pretty well fitted lol. Any hoses or belts on this that I replace are replaced with Gates :)

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 11:29 AM

Good luck with the new housing.

nra1ifer

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 11:14 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 79 Bronco
Had a hose do the same thing, finally figured out that there was a small pinhole leak on the inside of the hose through to the reinforcement core only, coolant would travel through the core to the end of hose and dribble out.

3G Alt. Upgrade, Duel Batteries, 351M bored .030 over with Edlebrock cam and intake, C-6 w/AO4D internals, 3" lift w/RS 9000, 33x12.50 MTR's, Saginaw PS Pump Conversion, On Board Air, Detroit Locker, Hydro Boost Brake System, Altimeter from a CH-46D, Map Light from a MH-53E.

U. S. Government - Wasting paper and keeping Lumber Jacks gainfully employed since 1776.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 01:40 AM
Retiring Soon

Bronco Info: '95 XLT, 5.8/E4OD/MassAir/6" lift/4.56's/35x12.5 BFG AT-KO2
Garage
hose to large diameter for the housing? do you have to snug it over the housing or does it just slip on over, loosely?
if the hose is getting crimped because it's too large... the clamp would bite or break before you could force the hose to get small enough to seal tight all the way around the housing.

I'm likely completely off... but it would match the problem description.

"When life throws you a curve... LEAN INTO IT!"

SuperMotors - Since 2002
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerPepe` View Post
hose to large diameter for the housing? do you have to snug it over the housing or does it just slip on over, loosely?
if the hose is getting crimped because it's too large... the clamp would bite or break before you could force the hose to get small enough to seal tight all the way around the housing.

That was why I asked earlier if it was possible to install that hose backwards. As you know, a lot of formed hoses won't fit if reversed, but that one with the slight, simple bend, might fit. The picture of the hose looks like one end is larger than the other..... likely intended as the radiator-end of the hose? I could imagine it being just as you said if you tried to tighten that larger end around the thermostat housing.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 02:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
Had a hose do the same thing, finally figured out that there was a small pinhole leak on the inside of the hose through to the reinforcement core only, coolant would travel through the core to the end of hose and dribble out.
Did it with the old hose and the new one lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerPepe` View Post

It fits pretty tight, I have to push it pretty good over the housing. That flat spot on the housing is the only thing I can think of that is making it do it. I just placed the order for the other one that shows that raised "ring" around the outlet of the housing to seal the hose properly. I don't know where they came up with the idea of making a flat...almost countersunk actually...surface on these was ever going to work right.
BikerPepe` likes this.

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 1978-'79 Bronco Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode