460 Cam - Ford Bronco Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 04:30 AM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1979 Bronco XLT / 1978 Bronco XLT
Garage
460 Cam

I am looking for a beefy sounding cam for a 1972 460. I want something that'll wake the neighbors up when I start it. Looking for suggestions. I've never rebuilt a bottom end before, going to send it out to a local shop here ( one of the best shops here, according to Muscle car guys I have talked to at the drag strip. Ken Murray Motors. Dragrace Canada, NHRA, IHRA, Canadian Drag Racing News, DragRaceCanada.com ). Before I do I want to purchase all the bottom end parts I want to put in it.

Some men see things the way they are and ask why? I see things that never were and say why not? - Robert F. Kennedy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 05:50 AM
Ford Hoarder

Bronco Info: See Signature
That sound is a by product of a cam that is typically designed for high rpm use. Which typically is not the best choice for these trucks. However the 429/460's have enough low end that usually you can get away with a more radical one then what you could with say a small block in these trucks.
To really answer this question several other things on your build need to be known, such as: Intake, Carb, Compression Ratio, bore, stroke, intended use, valve train, which valve springs, if you want to tow anything, how much a stall convertor you can live with for what you do with truck, etc....
I would strongly recommend that you spend some time researching known good combos on sites like 460ford.com. Carl of carsbycarl.com is a good resource as well, for a little bit of cash he can recommend you a build and give you projected HP/TQ numbers using his software. I would trust his over most as he has the actual dyno results with real engines he uses to fine tune his results so they are more real world.
The shop you are going to maybe a good resource as well, but I urge you to use caution as a drag racing engine may not be what you really want for your bronco.

The Street Queen: '92 Eddie Bauer- C6 Swap, Roller 357W 400hp/400ft-lbs, SCT Tuned, 4" Lift, 4.10's,
Go Fastish Build: '78 Custom- 4" Deaver Lift, Mild 460, Full Cage, 4.10's
Build Thread http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...8-project.html
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 08:36 PM

Garage
If you just want the sound of a huge cam with a modest boost in performance you could look at Comp Cams Thumper cams. Otherwise get all your info together and call someone familiar with BBFs. I have used Scotty the"Mad Porter" a couple times. A custom cam really isn't that much more.

Jess
BLCKRHINO likes this.

1979 Bronco currently with 460 and C-6 trans.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 06:00 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I am not building a drag motor, but in Winnipeg, Manitoba and the surrounding areas, there are very few shops that do quality work. Ken Murrays shop is one of them. The other shop is ran by a guy who learned every thing he knows from Ken Murray. It's going to be a mostly stock build, very mild. Not looking for crazy numbers.

Some men see things the way they are and ask why? I see things that never were and say why not? - Robert F. Kennedy

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 09:22 AM

Bronco Info: 78 351/NP435, lifted 4", 33s. 79 in progress, built 400, low gear C6, lots more to come.
The cam isn't what you want, given your goal. Research your exhaust options. If it didn't matter to my own liking, I would just remove my mufflers if I wanted to wake the neighbors.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Son View Post
The cam isn't what you want, given your goal. Research your exhaust options. If it didn't matter to my own liking, I would just remove my mufflers if I wanted to wake the neighbors.
Well I would love to do that, but no muffler is a quick ticket here. Was told the best thing would be a good cam.

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 07:33 PM

Bronco Info: 1995 XLT 5.8 .040 Roller Cam X heads JBA headers 4" Skyjacker 33s 4:11s L/S rear Tru Trac front E4OD
A badass cam only sounds as badass as the muffler.
the Son likes this.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 06:23 AM

Bronco Info: 79 ranger xlt
When I built my 460 I went with flat top pistons, and d3 heads to have 9.6-1 comp. I ported those heads myself and used an early timing set along with a Comp Xtreme 4x4 cam.

After reading tons of old magazine articles on 460 builds and spending some time on 460ford.com I decided to keep the stock intake but add a 2'' 4 hole spacer under my Holley 850.

Run all that trough a set of L&L headers and 3'' duals with some Flowmaster super 40s and you'll have what you want.

79 ranger xlt free wheeler
roll bar, factory cb, lighted sun visors, cruise, tilt, ac, factory air assist, front and rear lockers, built 460, 4inch rancho lift with 2 inch body, rebuilt c-6 with shift kit
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 11:56 AM

Bronco Info: 1979 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46079bronco View Post
When I built my 460 I went with flat top pistons, and d3 heads to have 9.6-1 comp. I ported those heads myself and used an early timing set along with a Comp Xtreme 4x4 cam.

After reading tons of old magazine articles on 460 builds and spending some time on 460ford.com I decided to keep the stock intake but add a 2'' 4 hole spacer under my Holley 850.

Run all that trough a set of L&L headers and 3'' duals with some Flowmaster super 40s and you'll have what you want.
For future reference to those that might read this later. Which Comp Extreme X4 cam did you go with? I would consider your engine build a mild warmed over stock build. Something that anyone could put together and would satisfy most. It is what they need not necessarily what they think they want.
Did you use the stock torque converter?

About the only thing I might do different is downsize the carb to 780. It would help more down low in the rpm range with throttle response. Unless your using the upper end closer to 4 or 5 grand of the rpm often then it is over carbed. The 4 hole spacer is a great idea on a stock intake. For those that don't know it provides an increase in torque in the lower half of the rpm band. Sometimes a combination of open and 4 hole spacers can help.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 12:55 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 96 EB Bronco
Garage
What your wanting is kinda what I did other than I'm efi. My motor is a stock rebuild with a comp cams thumper cam. Check my build out. I have a vid before cam and after cam. My bronco is a lot louder after the cam swap also. Gadawgz71 also has a comp thumper cam in his 460. We both run flowmaster mufflers.

96 EB Bronco- Efi odII MAF 460, D60, 10.25, detroit lockers, 4.88s, 38 toyos, deaver springs, psc steering.
09 civic- DD
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 02:16 PM

Giving up a lot of bottom end torque with those Thumper cams when compared to the X4 cams.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 03:06 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 96 EB Bronco
Garage
460 Cam

I can't tell, but I am efi mass air and custom tuned. The 4.88 gears help too. The power range for my cam is 2200-5800. That's one thing that bugs me, everybody says you need a low end tq cam. If you are crawling at idle then yes BUT when driving on the highway where are your Rpms? How about passing someone? 2500 or higher right? Isn't that where you need the power? Just my thinking and 2 cents. Also mine idles at 900-1000 and driving stays around 2-2400, with my gears and the trans tuning.

96 EB Bronco- Efi odII MAF 460, D60, 10.25, detroit lockers, 4.88s, 38 toyos, deaver springs, psc steering.
09 civic- DD
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 03:40 PM

Once you are rolling at steady speed it takes very little additional torque to make a change in speed. Think realistic for a moment most street or trail vehicles spend the majority of their time below 3500. I am giving some fudge factor here as it could probably be less than that. So from idle to 3500 you want to make the most torque. It is referred to as area under the curve. If the cam you selected has a range of 2500-6000 then you are giving up torque in the idle to 2500. You have shifted the majority of the torque curve outside the normal operation window.

The key to any street driven vehicle is to have as broad a torque curve as possible. With 4wd vehicles you want the majority of that curve in the lower half of the window unless your mud racing or pulling. Yes most of us like a nasty sounding idle, but to achieve such you have to give up something.

These thumper style cams are nothing more than marketing hype for the hot rod market. Might as well have called them 3/4 race cams. Same thing!
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 10:33 PM

Bronco Info: driving a 78 rusty piece o crap owned 23 yrs, and working on another 78 bronco,mint,460
Garage
Camshafts | Cam Reseach ? Custom Ford Camshafts

give these guys a call, ford cams is what they do
I had them grind me a cam for my project truck,hope to have it running this summer
I had them break in the cam for me too on their machine
I gave them all my specs and told them I wanted maximum torque and 30 mpg and they ground me a cam

not likely to get the 30mpg but they got my drift what I wanted
they say should be good for a solid 425hp and 450- 500 torque

and the sound to wake the dead, you NEED some good headers and exhaust
manifolds or cheap headers are not going to cut it
a header is just like a fine tuned instrument, makes all the difference in the world in sound.
and compression is key as well
my Austin with a 1300cc engine and close to 11;1 will rattle the dishes in my cupboards when I start it with open header next to my house,
and it only has a mildly lumpy cam and a very good header

I had some summit headers on my bronco that sounded like shit, headmans better but still not great
I went back to hooker and it sounds nice
I run a 351m slightly warmed up in my beater 78 and it sounded awesome when I had the duals with balance pipe and bullet glass packs
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 11:23 AM

Bronco Info: (4)78/79 Bronco, 1979 F150 Supercab 4x4, 1977 F250 Highboy
What will you be running for gears and axles? If you search my posts, somewhere you find what even a mildly build 460 will do to a stock Ford 9". I ran a mild Isky cam and valves on mine with a 750 Holley dbl pmpr. Stock cast intake, Keith Meyer hypereutectic 9.5-1 comp pistons with my heads decked for roughly 9.6-1 comp. and just a smooth porting. I ran stock cast iron ex. manifolds into 2 1/2 stainless into stainless 40's exiting in front of the rear tires. Estimated at about 400-425 hp and 450ish ft./lbs torque. Cab noise was right at that ragged edge even with the mufflers mounted aft of the cab. I had a good stereo, but conversation had to be stepped up a notch especially at road speed.
By the way, in my opinion if the exhaust is kept the same the cam can make a difference in the exhaust, but since you are starting out fresh I'd build the motor to suit your driving and then the exhaust can be built to make it sound how you want. Stainless pipe makes a big difference in resonance/ rumble. Also that Ford 9".... well, I blew the pinion bearing carrier to pieces, collapsed the spring perch mounts and twisted the driveshaft seven ways from Sunday. Wheel hop is your ENEMY!! That was with only 400-425 hp. and in a 79 supercab 4x4 not a Bronco. Too much cam will give you tuning fits and drivability fits unless you have a deep understanding of tuning a package like that. take that from someone who ran around in a 71 442 4spd and a nearly 500hp and over 500ft./lbs torque 455. It was a hoot to drive, but at the same time it was a real biotch to be civil with it when the COPO pulled up alongside at a light. The 11" double disc Centerforce clutch didn't help with subtle launches either.
Swamp
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly Heaven View Post
For future reference to those that might read this later. Which Comp Extreme X4 cam did you go with? I would consider your engine build a mild warmed over stock build. Something that anyone could put together and would satisfy most. It is what they need not necessarily what they think they want.
Did you use the stock torque converter?

About the only thing I might do different is downsize the carb to 780. It would help more down low in the rpm range with throttle response. Unless your using the upper end closer to 4 or 5 grand of the rpm often then it is over carbed. The 4 hole spacer is a great idea on a stock intake. For those that don't know it provides an increase in torque in the lower half of the rpm band. Sometimes a combination of open and 4 hole spacers can help.

Comp only makes 4 of those Extreme 4x4 cams for the 460, mine was the one with .514ish lift (15 years since I looked at the specs) it was one of the middle 2 in the catalog. With that cam and since the pistons I used only have 1 valve relief that's about all the cam I could use. The exhaust valve has no relieve and when we degreed the cam we found out that it only has about .125 clearance to the piston.

People always say an 850 is too much for this motor and I say no way. I had a brand new 750 that was so lean no matter how I jetted it cooked the finish off my L&L headers. The 850 is perfect and has instant response...like neck breaking response and it just about brings the tires off the ground from a full throttle start.

There is just something about this combo.

I used the stock 400 torque converter till the tranny died maybe 8 years after the 460 went in. then I went to a ''big block'' converter and it never felt the same again. The 400 converter had a higher stall with the 460 and felt perfect so a nice aftermarket converter with maybe around 2000-2200 stall would be better.

I'd also like to say that the old 400 gave me 8-9 mpg, the 460 I built gives me 13 mpg. I just wanted to add that for the guys who think a 460 can't pass by a gas station.
Hillbilly Heaven likes this.

roll bar, factory cb, lighted sun visors, cruise, tilt, ac, factory air assist, front and rear lockers, built 460, 4inch rancho lift with 2 inch body, rebuilt c-6 with shift kit
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 11:20 PM

To answer the question about a 9'' holding up, I'm on 9'' number 6 in my 79. But number 6 got an axle truss welded to it and that was at least 10 years ago and is still going strong.

I was breaking main caps and pinion supports before the truss.

post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 08:49 AM

Broken pinion supports are typical of a 9 inch. Leaf sprung vehicles have some amount of spring wrap as the pinion tries to climb. Too much spring wrap and the pinion is torn from the housing. Worse thing you can do to a 9 inch is tire spin. Spin the tires and as soon as the tire finds traction the pinion tries to climb and the shock snaps off the pinion support.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 09:13 AM

Bronco Info: (4)78/79 Bronco, 1979 F150 Supercab 4x4, 1977 F250 Highboy
Yep, well aware of the weaknesses of the 9" I brought it up because it seems like he after better sound than a really snotty motor. High hp/torque is not absolutely necessary to have a good sounding exhaust system was my whole point. It also sounded like he wanted more of a driver so again it doesn't seem like he needs to build a monster.
I find it hard to believe a 750 would run too lean unless you are running at WOT all of the time like when pulling or dragging.
Swamp
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 10:23 AM

Sounds like there were other problems with that 750 than just jets. If changing jets has no effect then that carb needs further inspection to find problem.

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 1978-'79 Bronco Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode