Alternator Connections - Ford Bronco Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1978 Custom 351M 62,000 miles
Alternator Connections

So I want to make sure that I don't start a fire or screw something up. Can you all check this to make sure I'm connecting the wire to the proper terminals on the back of the ALT?....

Thick gauge black w red stripe connects to "BAT terminal on ALT
Solid orange wire -orange cap connects to the "FLD" terminal on ALT
Yellow wire w/black stripe - black cap connects to "STA" terminal on ALT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 10:48 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 79 Bronco
Your connections are correct by my 79' wiring manual, I know they are the same for the 78'. You can double check by Ohming the yellow w/black strip to the electric choke connection as this wire supplies power to the choke.

3G Alt. Upgrade, Duel Batteries, 351M bored .030 over with Edlebrock cam and intake, C-6 w/AO4D internals, 3" lift w/RS 9000, 33x12.50 MTR's, Saginaw PS Pump Conversion, On Board Air, Detroit Locker, Hydro Boost Brake System, Altimeter from a CH-46D, Map Light from a MH-53E.

U. S. Government - Wasting paper and keeping Lumber Jacks gainfully employed since 1776.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks again Zig. Im not that much of a screw up I guess. I have a hot air choke on my stock 2150 carb - maybe I should swap out to an electric one due to I no longer have a hot air supply with my new Edelbrock manifold.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 02:09 AM
Fullsize Member

Stock 2150 came with an electric choke, if yours doesn't have one then someone swapped it out. I would put the electric choke back on so the choke will unload after it heats up.

3G Alt. Upgrade, Duel Batteries, 351M bored .030 over with Edlebrock cam and intake, C-6 w/AO4D internals, 3" lift w/RS 9000, 33x12.50 MTR's, Saginaw PS Pump Conversion, On Board Air, Detroit Locker, Hydro Boost Brake System, Altimeter from a CH-46D, Map Light from a MH-53E.

U. S. Government - Wasting paper and keeping Lumber Jacks gainfully employed since 1776.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

I thought my Bronco Carb was the stock original- No electric choke. I came across this on the Gran Torino website that stated ....

Automatic choke systems

There were three automatic choke systems used on Motorcraft 2150 carburetors:

Hot-air choke

Hot-air choke with electric assist

Electric choke

Maybe the Broncos only came with the electric choke - like you said....
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 12:18 AM
Fullsize Member

Every Ford truck with a 351M/400 that I've ever come across in the JY with the 2150 in it has the Hot-air choke with electric assist in it. Not sure how much the hot-air contributed to the choke as most of time the hot air tubes are clogged with carbon, voltage for the electric choke is only 7 VDC and it doesn't take much to heat the choke spring up.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 12:38 PM
Redneck Engineer

Bronco Info: 79 Bronco Ranger XLT C6 35's
Grover how close are you to firing this thing up?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, when I took off my hot air tube from the manifold and removed the inner manifold tubing it was completely clogged. I didn't see any mention of just a hot air choke in my Bronco Manual.

As far as starting up the engine, I hopefully will try in about a month. I have to do a few more things. When I take parts off I make sure I put them back on completely clean. I cleanup up every single bolt that goes back on.

Ill probably first start it up without the radiator for 15 seconds or so. Ill definitely roll it out of the garage and away from the house. Maybe have the Fire Dpt. and Paramedics standing by....lol

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 1978-'79 Bronco Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode