Best adjustable drag link - Ford Bronco Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1979 bronco,351m C6 np 205,4inch lift, 33 bfg
Best adjustable drag link

I tried to have my drag link modified but with no luck.I found an adjuster sleeve but cannot find a machinist to turn thread on the drag link.
I was looking to copy this set-up Buy Adjustable Drag Link 78-79 Bronco 76-79 F150 4WD

This seem like the only option with the superlift one.
I was playing with the idea to use dom and chevy tre, I will have to buy a reamer and LH/RH taps to make the swap and this add up to the price quick.
Marc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 06:02 PM

Bronco Info: 79 bronco 460 c6
skyjacker make one ?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 07:20 PM

Bronco Info: 79 ranger xlt
I have been thinking on this subject for a little while now, here's what I'm doing.

I'm narrowing my 79s Dana 44 6'' to do a SAS to my Explorer. Having driven my 79 for 18 years I never had a problem with the factory tie rod/drag link setup so I want to also narrow the long tie rod 6''. The long tie rod has normal right hand threads.

I also have no interest in using chevy ends and reaming. I mean the factory parts lasted me 18 years and who knows how old they were when I bought it in the 90s. I see no reason to change.

I bought the correct die to do this, just cut off 6'' then stick in in my lathe and turn it to the proper diameter and rethread it.

I know I'll have to shorten the drag link too so my idea was since I have the die already is to get a new stock drag link, cut the pitman arm end off and turn it down and thread it so a tie rod adjuster sleeve goes on and then use the short left hand threaded tie rod end for the pitman arm.

I'm sure they work fine but I just don't like how the Super Lift adjustable drag link has the adjuster in the middle of the shaft. The one that Wild Horses sells has the adjuster at the pitman arm end and has the flat spot for the steering stabilizer mount like the factory does.

I wonder if they are cutting and threading stock drag links...who knows.

Anyway, my tie rod die is 1'' (I forget the thread pitch but it is uncommon) and I don't know if those aftermarket drag links are 1'' or the same thread pitch for me to shorten so I will just use the factory parts that I have grown to trust.

79 ranger xlt free wheeler
roll bar, factory cb, lighted sun visors, cruise, tilt, ac, factory air assist, front and rear lockers, built 460, 4inch rancho lift with 2 inch body, rebuilt c-6 with shift kit

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Are the end are replaceable?
I cannot find this info.
Marc
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 07:28 PM

What ends?

The tie rod ends are, I mean the right one is like 5 feet long or whatever but you can buy them. The drag link ends are not, you have to buy the whole thing.

roll bar, factory cb, lighted sun visors, cruise, tilt, ac, factory air assist, front and rear lockers, built 460, 4inch rancho lift with 2 inch body, rebuilt c-6 with shift kit
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

The sleeve i found with LH/RH thread is 1''/18tpimoog ES3626S. .The OEM drag link diameter is 1''.
I think wildhorse just put this adjuster sleeve on a OEM fittment drag link.
I dont like the superlift drag link either, the adjuster sleeve in the middle is a weak design.
Around here the machine shops are not really willing to modify steering compoments.
Marc
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 07:43 PM

You can do it with only buying one die like I am doing. The upper end you cut off the draglink you throw out. Then use the short tie rod end for your new drag link end since it is left hand thread.

The trouble is you need a lathe because those parts are turned a touch, I think to smooth the casting and to make sure they are truly round.

Or in your case just get the wild horse piece.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

This is a good idea, thanks for the tip.
Marc
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 08:59 PM

Bronco Info: 79 bronco 460 c6
i wonder if one off a superduty would work
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

I tried another place today with no luck, I will probably just buy the wildhorse drag link.
Marc

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 1978-'79 Bronco Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode