• 1 Post By Quader1
  • 1 Post By the Son

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1978 Ford Bronco Ranger XLT 400M V8 6.6L
Garage
78-79 Transmission Kick Down Rod

I have been meaning to ask about this for a while. When I switched back from the Holley to the standard Motorcraft 2150 Carburetor Ziggy mentioned that my trans link rod was not the right one.

He says it needs to be longer and the setup should be forward. He says the trans will not kick down if configured backwards because there would not be enough travel.

But a user that has the same engine on a F150 has the short one and a person that makes reproductions sells a short one for this application as well and is very adamant that the right one is the short one and it has to be configured backwards.

Here you can see a long one (in yellow wich was blue originally btw) compared with the short one.

There seem to be about 2 inches in difference:

Here is a short rod set up backwards on that F150:

Can anyone clarify this matter? Is it set up forward or backwards? Which rod is the right one, the long or the short?

If anyone has a 100% original 78-79 Bronco and can confirm this, it would be great!

Thank you so much!

1978 Ford Bronco XLT

Everything in the 70's was so much better!

Visit my built thread here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 03:12 PM

Bronco Info: '79 Custom
If it needs to be longer, drill another hole in the rod, get a piece of flat stock, drill a bunch of holes and install it as an extension. That way you can just run what you have.

1995 BMW 540i
'79 SHTF Daily Build
1997 Toyota 4Runner (locked)
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallnoise View Post
If it needs to be longer, drill another hole in the rod, get a piece of flat stock, drill a bunch of holes and install it as an extension. That way you can just run what you have.
Thank you! So you confirm that the setup is forward then? I wonder why so many people have the wrong one then.

1978 Ford Bronco XLT

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCodi View Post
Thank you! So you confirm that the setup is forward then? I wonder why so many people have the wrong one then.
No, I have no idea. My truck came with the same carb yours did (the Holley) and the kickdown lever had a custom bracket on it to connect it.

By inference, I suppose we could conclude that my truck needed a longer lever for the Holley carb because mine must have been a stock lever.

1995 BMW 540i
'79 SHTF Daily Build
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 08:27 AM

Bronco Info: 1978 & 1990
Garage
My 78 has the blue one, when i got the truck it was equipped with the factory manifold and carb, after rebuild and going to a holley and edelbrock intake it wouldn't work, now i know why...thanks..will make the extension.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 02:09 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1978 Custom 351M 62,000 miles
Please excuse my stupidity or ignorance about this transmission kick down rod that connects to the carb. My bronco is a stock 78 and has no rod like this going to the carb. Probably not understanding this correctly.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 03:04 PM

Bronco Info: 78 351/NP435, lifted 4", 33s. 79 in progress, built 400, low gear C6, lots more to come.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grovermyson View Post
Please excuse my stupidity or ignorance about this transmission kick down rod that connects to the carb. My bronco is a stock 78 and has no rod like this going to the carb. Probably not understanding this correctly.
It's for an automatic transmission. As I understand, yours is manual so you wouldn't have it.
That rod connects the throttle on the carburetor to a lever on the automatic transmission and full-throttle actuates the lever to make the transmission downshift.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 03:48 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1978 Custom 351M 62,000 miles
got it
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 12:48 AM

Here is a pic of my truck. You can't see it but the kick down rod is blue. You CAN see the thingy bob that was installed on my carb that is supposed to extend and adjust the kick down rod.

1995 BMW 540i
'79 SHTF Daily Build
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 02:33 AM

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "forward or backward", but below is a pic of my kickdown lever orientation from when the factory 2 barrel carb was in place. The second photo is how its hooked up now. Note the bracket in the second photo, which Edelbrock sells (https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-1493) for the 351M/400 to hook up to their throttle level adapter (https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-1483). The bracket extends the lever for the aftermarket carb, beyond what was needed for the factory 2 barrel.

- Chris

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 04:49 AM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csnyder View Post
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "forward or backward", but below is a pic of my kickdown lever orientation from when the factory 2 barrel carb was in place. The second photo is how its hooked up now. Note the bracket in the second photo, which Edelbrock sells (https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-1493) for the 351M/400 to hook up to their throttle level adapter (https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-1483). The bracket extends the lever for the aftermarket carb, beyond what was needed for the factory 2 barrel.

- Chris

Thank you Chris. By 'forward' I meant when the throttle is rotated towards the radiator and by 'backwards' when it is rotated towards the firewall. Sorry I didn't know how to better explain it. It looks like yours was originally rotated towards the radiator (forward) and your earlier carb was a 2150, am I correct? If this is correct, it would confirm that the original rod was the longer one.

Here is the only picture I found in the Service manual about this:

1978 Ford Bronco XLT

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Thank you Chris. By 'forward' I meant when the throttle is rotated towards the radiator and by 'backwards' when it is rotated towards the firewall. Sorry I didn't know how to better explain it. It looks like yours was originally rotated towards the radiator (forward) and your earlier carb was a 2150, am I correct? If this is correct, it would confirm that the original rod was the longer one.
Yes, the carb in the first photo I posted is a 2150, specifically a D9TE-ALB.

I believe I understand your forward/backward reference now, but just to clarify - regardless of the particular carb or linkage, once the throttle is opened far enough, the top of the kickdown rod is pushed backward, which pushes the bottom (trans end) of the rod down.

I can't measure my kickdown rod without taking it out, but in looking at the first photo in your original post, the main/only difference in length between the two rods is between the hole at the carb linkage end (the end closest to the left hand of the gentleman holding the rods in your photo) and the first bend. I measured mine just now at 5" (+/- 0.5) between the center of the carb linkage hole and the first bend. Hopefully checking that measurement against the rods you have will help you figure out which is the one to use.

- Chris
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 02:29 AM

Bronco Info: 78 351/NP435, lifted 4", 33s. 79 in progress, built 400, low gear C6, lots more to come.
Quote:
He says it needs to be longer and the setup should be forward. He says the trans will not kick down if configured backwards because there would not be enough travel.
Quote:
So you confirm that the setup is forward then?
Quote:
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "forward or backward"
This doesn't make sense.

Quote:
This is confusing. I get forward is when the throttle bracket is rotated toward the front, and backward to the firewall. How is this related to the "originally rotated" comment? The "forward" and "backward" are the same, regardless if it's a 2150 or aftermarket. The 78-79 (among MOST others in this sense) rotate from "forward" to "backward" when we press the pedal, or go from closed-throttle to open-throttle.

Quote:
I believe I understand your forward/backward reference now, but just to clarify - regardless of the particular carb or linkage, once the throttle is opened far enough, the top of the kickdown rod is pushed backward, which pushes the bottom (trans end) of the rod down.
Yes. But this still confuses me with the forward/backward references made. Is throttle closed/throttle open the intended interpretation in all of the above references of forward/backward?
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Son View Post
This doesn't make sense.

This is confusing. I get forward is when the throttle bracket is rotated toward the front, and backward to the firewall. How is this related to the "originally rotated" comment? The "forward" and "backward" are the same, regardless if it's a 2150 or aftermarket. The 78-79 (among MOST others in this sense) rotate from "forward" to "backward" when we press the pedal, or go from closed-throttle to open-throttle.

Yes. But this still confuses me with the forward/backward references made. Is throttle closed/throttle open the intended interpretation in all of the above references of forward/backward?
I have to apologize for my explanation. I am not an expert in this matter and I am just trying my best. The point is, we are trying to figure out which one is the right rod if the longer or the shorter one. To use the shorter you would have to rotate the throttle towards the firewall and according to Ziggy there would not be enough travel to kick down the transmission. With the longer one, there is more travel because the throttle is forced to be rotated towards the front of the engine so there would be enough rotation to kick down.

I hope this clarifies it.

By the way, I just measured mine and it is 5 inches as well from the center of the carb linkage hole to the first bend. So that means Csnyder you have the short one as well. Do you remember if your transmission kicked down properly when going uphill using that 2150 carb?

1978 Ford Bronco XLT

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
By the way, I just measured mine and it is 5 inches as well from the center of the carb linkage hole to the first bend. So that means Csnyder you have the short one as well. Do you remember if your transmission kicked down properly when going uphill using that 2150 carb?
Yes, mine kicked down properly when the 2150 was in place.

- Chris
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 12:32 PM

Ok.

Here you go:

Quote:
I have to apologize for my explanation. I am not an expert in this matter and I am just trying my best. The point is, we are trying to figure out which one is the right rod if the longer or the shorter one. To use the shorter you would have to rotate the kickdown lever towards the firewall and according to Ziggy there would not be enough throttle travel to kick down the transmission. With the longer one, there is more travel because the kickdown lever is forced to be rotated towards the front of the engine closer to the throttle lever so there would be enough rotation to kick down.

I hope this clarifies it.

Sometimes I read too literally.
Short story, the right rod is the one that enables full actuation of the transmission lever at wide-open throttle.

Should be pretty easy. Connect the transmission side. Place the throttle full-open with the kickdown lever in contact with the throttle lever. If the top end of the rod is within the kickdown lever adjustment range, connect and adjust. If not, you need a longer or shorter rod.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 08:47 PM
Redneck Engineer

Bronco Info: 79 Bronco Ranger XLT C6 35's
Stupid kick down question. My 79 doesn't have one. I'm to the point of almost being ready to fire it back up after 5 years. Should they all have one? Are they required? Like I said stupid question. I've heard them discussed before but are they needed in every instance??
huck2080 likes this.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 09:23 PM
JAN. '17 F.O.T.M.

Bronco Info: 78 W/400
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79BroncoSpringTx View Post
Stupid kick down question. My 79 doesn't have one. I'm to the point of almost being ready to fire it back up after 5 years. Should they all have one? Are they required? Like I said stupid question. I've heard them discussed before but are they needed in every instance??
You should if you have an automatic!
It downshifts the transmission when you step on it .
huck2080 likes this.

Last edited by Quader1; 04-19-2017 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Spelling
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79BroncoSpringTx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quader1 View Post
You should if you have an automatic!
It downshifts the transmission when you step on it .
It's been over 20 years since I used one. I think I've "needed" it twice. However...I agree, you should. But to answer your question, no, it is not required.
79BroncoSpringTx likes this.

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 1978-'79 Bronco Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode