Baja Claw Tires - Ford Bronco Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1979-460-35's-zero smog equipment.
Baja Claw Tires

Hey do any of you guys run Baja Claws from Mickey Thompson, or have any friends who do, I was just looking for some feedback on them from other FSB owners. Like how do they perform in the mud, rain, snow ect. I currently run Dick Cepek FC-II and am looking for something a little more aggresive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 02:42 AM

Bronco Info: 93 EB FSB, 351W
i friend of mine rode a set of those on his truck. They where 35. I hated them. They were the loudest tire i have every heard. A bogger seemed like a street tire. They were ok in the mud, but they are a directional tire. I would never buy them. I am running the mickey thompson MTZ and love them. They havent had any issues in any environment we have put them in so far, not to loud, and also get great mileage out of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fartman View Post
I would, if it prevents any problem its worth it to take a second and slip them on.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 07:25 AM

Baja Claw is a very aggressive Mud Terrain tire, but that seems to have benefits. The fins of diagonal mass and center bottom of the wall to give some excellent forward momentum through the mud, sand and snow. Rock Crawling is to strengthen a wide grooves cut brackets.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 08:24 AM

Bronco Info: 93 eb, 302 e40d, held together with duct tape and gum
id run a dunlop mt before a baja claw. directional tires ftl. ive been a hardcore bf mudterrain fan for years, never had a problem in the mud, snow, or rocks. i ran 35's on my yj with almost no air on non-beadlocks and never had a prob. theyre not too loud either, providing you rotate them properly. my brothers girlfriend has them and hasnt rotated them in like 40k miles and wonders why theyre loud as shit.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 09:16 AM
FSB's Dirty Jersian

Bronco Info: 89 EB, 91 Silver Anniv, 91 F250, 79 F250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lucas View Post
Hey do any of you guys run Baja Claws from Mickey Thompson, or have any friends who do, I was just looking for some feedback on them from other FSB owners. Like how do they perform in the mud, rain, snow ect. I currently run Dick Cepek FC-II and am looking for something a little more aggresive.
I wouldn't run the bias or the radial version of that tire. looks like it'd prob be great for rock/sand/street(the radial) but i can't see it being good for mud or snow. What size tire are you looking to run, and what kind of terrain will it see (and will it see pavement?)

I mean i don't want to deter you from the baja claws, but certainly i have never heard any good reviews on them, and just from quick glance, they aren't anything i'd ever purchase.

89 Eddie Bauer - 6" RC Lift, 35" KO's, 302/c6 swap, Ford 9"
79 F250 Ranger Lariat - 9" Lift, 40" Ground Hawgs, 400/435/205, D60/D70 LOCKED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigEpBlue
All I want people to do is STOP, THINK, and SEARCH. Only post if those three fail after thoroughly repeating.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 03:16 AM

Bronco Info: '90 White/Grey XLT; 5.8, E4OD, BW1356, 3.55 open, stock springs with 33" Bighorns
I have not owned them, but have only heard that they are fairly loud, and only perform moderate when taken off-road; Not really a jack-of-all-trades type tire. Most people say the MTZ is THE Mickey tire to have ... if not THE mud terrain tire to get! I think the Claws look nice, but in snow I've also heard they are white-knuckle?

Robin Hood never "robbed from the rich to give to the poor". His only 'crime' was returning money to THE PEOPLE whom were victimized by crooked government officials, and a lying king.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 01:56 AM

Bronco Info: 93 5.slow
I have them. 33x 12.5, biggest mistake of my life!!! they look awesome, but good gosh they are ridiculously LOUD. i've cut out a cat, custom y pipe into a 10 series flowmaster and i can barely hear my exhaust over the tires. they are ridiculously bumpy all the time, i can literally make my bronco feel like an earthquake if i go under 5mph. these babies scream everywhere i go, and i was dumb enough to put em on my DD. HOWEVER.... they are a purpose built tire, and for that matter offroad use is EXCELLENT, i've plowed these bad boys through the nastiest thickest mud thats like going through peanut butter and they sling it right out. but by no means is it worth it, .... i recomend stay away, i've got my eyes on the general grabbers that came out this year ...... very nice tire

93 EB, 5.0 sixlitre tuneup, true dual flowmaster 44's, 33" duratracs, no lift.
CLEMSON

"Winners train, losers complain"
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 09:55 AM

Bronco Info: 1995 Centurion Bronco
I liked them, just not their price, or how loud they are. Currently i run the new MTR with Kevlar, and its my favorite tire ever. I has proved its self in every terrain that it has encountered. Even mud. What surprised the hell outta me in the mud, was that it felt like it had the same amount of bite in reverse as it did in drive. I can honestly say that i will never run another type of tire on my truck.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 10:06 AM

Bronco Info: 89, ZF-5, 302, D60/14B, coilovers..... and my wife with a pissy look on her face in the background!
I am much happier with them than I was with my MTR's... at least offroad. These are not street tires. If you are looking for a street tire, keep looking. Directional tires suck for everyday use, if for no other reason than the rotation problem. As for loudness, maybe is because mine are still fairly new, but I was VERY pleased! I expected much worse with my 38-15.50's. I usually have my top off, and they are still quiet enough for me to enjoy the radio and conversation with passengers. I just put new 33" MudGrapplers on my tow rig, now that is a loud tire.... easily twice as loud as my Claws! And that is not a good thing, probably gonna get rid of them!
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 03:12 PM
always evolving

Bronco Info: BIG mud truck and then some (96 5.8, 4 linked/sas'd)
Friend of mine has run 'em on his jeep for as long as i can remember them... They are kinda noisy on the road but overall he likes 'em and i have always been impressed with 'em. And i have seen his claws dig through some pretty nasty mud, so don't be fooled (smokey). I would run them on my bronco but mickey thompson skips straight from 38 to 46 and to 54 and doesn't have an offering in between them. Plenty of sizes below 38's...

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 03:26 PM
FSB's Dirty Jersian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigTXbronco View Post
Friend of mine has run 'em on his jeep for as long as i can remember them... They are kinda noisy on the road but overall he likes 'em and i have always been impressed with 'em. And i have seen his claws dig through some pretty nasty mud, so don't be fooled (smokey). I would run them on my bronco but mickey thompson skips straight from 38 to 46 and to 54 and doesn't have an offering in between them. Plenty of sizes below 38's...
for the price, there are way better tire options out there. you see no real off road rigs using these tires, and i can even a quick glimpse of them, know that they aren't able to stand up to any mud thicker than jello. i knew right away it was nothing that would ever see my trucks rims, and I'm currently considering a lot of different tires.

Quote:
All I want people to do is STOP, THINK, and SEARCH. Only post if those three fail after thoroughly repeating.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 08:39 PM

Bronco Info: 80 bronco
ever watch top truck challenge?

[/SIGPIC]warmed over 400, C6, 208, D60 rear, early 80's F250 leaf sprung TTB till i can find a 60, 38.5 ground hawgs, 8000 lb. ramsey, no gas money.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 01:30 PM

Bronco Info: 89, ZF-5, 302, D60/14B, coilovers..... and my wife with a pissy look on her face in the background!
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_eastep View Post
my thoughts exactly
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 02:49 PM

Bronco Info: Gov't Mule (TTC 99)
I was running the 46" Claws on my Samurai until last year. They are absolutely amazing in the rocks and mud. Snow/ice not so much. I could crawl up and over anything but if you like the skinny pedal and they grab suddenly expect breakage. I was running rockwells so my breakage was always the driveshafts.

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 04:23 PM

Bronco Info: 1986 Ford Bronco 302ci EFI (aKa Lucy)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lucas View Post
I Run 31x10.50x15 Mickey Thompson Baja Claws on the back of my 86' Bronco and I have Goodyear Wranglers on the front (highway tires) the couple of times i went mudding they did just fine... I got my Mickeys for cheap and put a radial tube in one of them... Im selling my 31's (they rub on the front passenger side) and putting 235x75x15's back on it... Ive decided to stay out of the mud and like many people have said LOUD ON THE Road!
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 02:26 PM

A similar directional mud tire I have run is the Yokohama Geolander MT+, and it is the best mud-snow-rain tire I have used. Very quiet on the road too for a Mud Tire.

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 03:45 PM
negative creep

Bronco Info: bronco with seats and a steering wheel
those yokohamas have some of the crappiest sidewalls i have ever seen. they tear extremely easy. i wouldn't run them on anything bigger than a mini truck.

mickey thompson makes a hell of a tire, and has always made some of the toughest tires you can get. the reason you see so many of a certain other brands tires on extreme wheelers, racers and comp rigs is because they have a strategy of racer support (read: nearly free tires) as a means to dominate the market. it works, but that doesn't necessarily mean there aren't much better choices out there. i just wish mickey thompson offered a broader range of sizes in the big tire range, i have been more than happy with the performance of my ATZ plus tires, the Fun Country IIs my dad has, and all they mickey t/dick cepek tires i've seen on the trail.

post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 04:00 PM
FSB's Dirty Jersian

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_eastep View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy351 View Post
those yokohamas have some of the crappiest sidewalls i have ever seen. they tear extremely easy. i wouldn't run them on anything bigger than a mini truck.

mickey thompson makes a hell of a tire, and has always made some of the toughest tires you can get. the reason you see so many of a certain other brands tires on extreme wheelers, racers and comp rigs is because they have a strategy of racer support (read: nearly free tires) as a means to dominate the market. it works, but that doesn't necessarily mean there aren't much better choices out there. i just wish mickey thompson offered a broader range of sizes in the big tire range, i have been more than happy with the performance of my ATZ plus tires, the Fun Country IIs my dad has, and all they mickey t/dick cepek tires i've seen on the trail.

My point. And to be honest, They are 54" Baja TTC's. Jesus, if there was a wrangler mtr in 54" i'm sure it would pull through some shit too. or even 46" baja claw bias. they are 46". None the less its still a mud tire, I'm not saying its a crappy BFG A/T, but again, certainly much better choices out there. sand, snow and rock sure baja claws are awesome. For mud, no doubt would I take a 44" tsl over a 46" baja claw anyday. Probably even the 54" TTC claw.

here is a pic of the TTC (which no lie, if I had a crawler rig would be my better choice between this 54 and a 54" bogger but only because of the sidewalls, and extreme amount of voids, though not all are that big)

now compare to a 54" bogger, for mud, look at these lug voids - the size from 3rd lug to 3rd lug is about 18" by my guesstimate. compared to TTC's which are about 9"

not downing TTC's as a whole, but just because they sponsor top truck challenge doesn't mean diddly dick. I'd take boggers over the TTC's anyday. TTC's still use a 3-stage lug design, but certainly isn't as wide voided as boggers. You can see they clean out, but not well....

Quote:
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 08:01 PM

Baja Claws, groovy makes things better

I run MTZ's on the front and 35" Claws on the rear of my Xj. Just a stock motor w a strd trail build; lockers, gears, long arm kit, etc. I had MTZ's all the way around. Putting the Claws in the rear was a huge improvement in Mud, Snow and especially the trails! I do agree they don't clean out very well in sticky mud. I've ran boggers, swampers, BFG's, etc on many various rigs. Swampers & Boggers clean out better in sticky mud, but I'd take the Claws for everywhere else any day.
I was running 44" Hawgs on my mud truck and just swapped over to 46" Claws. Can't beat the look, but I think I'll be doing some grooving before the next run. That being said, I think for the wheeling I do I can groove a set of Baja Claws to suite me better than Boggers or Swampers. Boggers rule the mud, no argument from me there. My Claws have outperformed Boggers on the trails and even muddy slippery trails a few times, especially if there is any side hill action. I think if money wasn't an issue and I could have any tire I wanted, I would still buy the 46" Baja Claws and just do a lil clean grooving.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 11:05 AM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 1978 Round headlight, 351M,C6, 9", 44/1991, 445 FE, t19, 205, Dana 60/70, MAF, Moet's
Garage
I ran a thread about it a while back and the consensus was they did not wear well and were quite noisy, I decided to lead toward the Irok as I have heard no complaints about them. For rock crawling or racing they seem a popular tire though.

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Wheels/Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode