Ford Bronco Forum - View Single Post - tailgate window safety/latch switch
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
89broncoXLTgirl

Bronco Info: 1989 Bronco XLT V8 5.0L, 6" lift
Unhappy tailgate window safety/latch switch

I've read so many posts/ threads about how this is a common problem with Broncos and it seems like the most common solution is to just bypass it. I've already replaced the entire tailgate and it's components (window, window motor) except for this safety switch. And I still have problems with the tailgate window.

So I have a couple of questions..

1. If I don't want to bypass the switch and just replace it, where do I find a replacement switch? Or is bypassing it my only option? (LMC truck doesn't have this part. Neither does jcwhitney)

2. What the technical name for this part? I keep reading "safety switch", "latch safety switch", I've had a mechanic tell me "tailgate key switch (which I'm pretty sure isn't the same thing). Because I sound like an idiot trying to explain what this part does, to someone who isn't familiar with Broncos.

Just some info: 89 Bronco XLT
problem part: inside tailgate, on the drivers side, looks like wiring from it goes through the brake light which I think is the wiring harness?

Sorry for the long post. I'm getting frustrated with people talking to me like I don't know what I'm talking about.

If any of my info is wrong, someone please correct me. I'm at my wits end with this little part.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome