Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

What spark plugs and wires?

3K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  rpeters549 
#1 ·
Just picked up an "83 XLT, has a mildly built 351W with a GM style HIE dist. What plugs and wires would you recommend? I don't need high dollar stuff, but not junk either :)

#2 ·
Taylor thunderbolt 8.2 wires are some of the best you can buy. I have em on my 85 300. They have the lowest resistance availible at 40 ohms/foot. Also heard good things about the DUI livewires. They are specifically designed for their hei dizzys, but will work on anything. I've got msd Street fire wires on my 96 351 and they are pretty decent.

My advice is to get a set that you have to assemble. They come out looking cleaner, due to no extra lengths being jumbled up.

For plugs, autolite copper core work the BEST in our engines. In my 03 mach1, I use the e3 diamond fire plugs, and picked up about 1 mpg, but most people say not to use them in our trucks.

#4 ·
Taylor thunderbolt 8.2 wires are some of the best you can buy. I have em on my 85 300. Also heard good things about the DUI livewires. They are specifically designed for their hei dizzys, but will work on anything. I've got msd Street fire wires on my 96 351 and they are pretty decent.

My advice is to get a set that you have to assemble. They come out looking cleaner, due to no extra lengths being jumbled up.

I put a DUI cap on my stock For dizzy and the cap adaptor did not fit well on the base. It kinda rocks around on there but the quality is there like brass terminals and all that. Taylor is a very good choice as well, they actually make the bulk of ignition wire out on the market if it is made in USA.

#3 ·
Is it an HEI coil in cap distributor? If so the retaining ring for the wires snaps over the plug boots. I like MSD or Delco for HEI, they last for ever and are pretty resistant to oil and heat. Plugs I go with iridium for the reason of they take a lot of juice and last forever. Stay away from resistor plugs for hotter spark, maybe put a MSD cap, rotor, retainer and Accel coil and that sucker will light you up like Christmas in Vegas.

#12 ·
Carb and efi are no different when it comes to ignition and spark requirements.

To me, msd is "cheap" and a decent option for a DD. A race engine will want a better ignition system to get full power. I tend to buy better wires so that they don't melt from my headers. Really, in your application, any 8mm wire or bigger will work just fine. A new coil would be advised too: I'm running an accel super stock coil on my 85 and am pleased with the performance.

#13 ·
Like they said, more or less.

I got a set of platinum plugs for mine this time because with the rebate from Autozone they were just over a buck each. A good copper core will work fine though (NGK, Motorcraft, Autolite, etc).

And most any quality wire will work great. I doubt you will feel a whole lot of difference in a street motor from wire to wire as they are not really a power 'restriction' at this level. A good 8/9 mm wire will work just dandy. I like the FMS blue ones. Purty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.