I start this thread as a source specific to Tuning the E4OD because there is very little information on the topic on the web. I did get responses on EECTuning and the Yahoo Tweecer Support site in favor of what I have done. Seems most use tuners for their Mustang, so there is not much E4OD info. I am using a FLY1 EEC out of an F150 with 351W and the AHACA strategy. It may well be that this tune is specific to this strategy.
The same tuning variables may well work differently with other strategies. Keep this in mind when tuning yours.
A note of caution: Some of what I have been doing is trial and error. Only time will tell if the changes I have made will take away from the longevity of the trans. However, I believe the changes will likely add life as it shifts firmer now, less slipping and wear on the clutches. Also, preventing lock-up of the stock converter is keeping the converter clutch from slipping and burning-up.
My first Tweec was to eliminate code 628, Excessive Converter Clutch Slippage. I have prevented the torque converter from locking using the Function: Trans_Converter_Lock_2nd (Same for 3rd & 4th). The function has TP on the X axis and MPH on the Y axis. I set the MPH for lock-up to 80 for 2nd & 3rd, and 100 for 4th. That eliminated the code and should keep me from frying the clutch/converter as it won't hold with the 430ftlbs this engine produces. I only use this tune when I am stomping on it, my performance tune.
In the second Tweec I changed the Table - torque_table to match the engine output at load. This table has load on the y axis and RPM on the x axis. The number are grossed-up cause I notice the stock numbers were.
The third Tweec was to increase the RPM for the initiation of WOT shifts.
The cam and blower allows this engine to spin-up faster and too higher RPM. I originally added 500rpm to the wide open shift point Scalers for the stock tranny. The screen shot below is what I ended-up with for the Punisher tranny I installed. This worked, but the shifts were slow and mushy! I needed to do more! It is important to remember that this is the RPM that the shift starts.
The fourth was to the trans-tv-pressure-xx Function, where xx is 12, 23, & 34. This Function has TP on the y axis and TV on the x axis. I changed the last four cells for 1st to 2nd from 8, 8, 15, & 15 too 18, 20, 25, & 25. Now she has a little snap into 2nd at TP values approximately 2/3rds to WOT! I also brought-up the TV pressure for 2nd to 3rd in the last four TV cells from 2, 2, 5, & 5 too 10, 15, 15, & 15. It seems to me that the Function trans-tv-pressure-xx is an adder as there are negative numbers for the lower throttle positions. The TV value for the shift from 3rd to 4th, at the low TP of 152, is -5, leading me to that conclusion. It is not sucking a -5 TV pressure to shift into 4th so must be decreasing a preset TV pressure amount by 5.
Again this screen shot is of the Punisher tranny tune with more aggressive valve body, The TV pressure numbers are stock cause it already shifts very snappy.
I also started playing with the Function - trans-shift-schedule-xx (again xx is 12, 23 or 34). It has Throttle Position (TP) on the x axis and Miles Per Hour (MPH) on the y axis. I changed the last five cells for MPH from 23, 26.5, 28.5, 34, & 34 to 25, 35, 40, 45, & 45. This should allow the engine to wrap to greater RPM/greater MPH before shifting into second. I had also changed the Scalers trans_wot_shift_rpm_xx as above and earlier in the tune to initiate shifts at 500 RPM later. I don't know which is dominant or if they work in concert.
Sample shift schedule (what I use now with a different tranny, the Punisher)