quarter horse tuner - Ford Bronco Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1994 ford bronco xlt 351W 5.8 mass air crate motor
quarter horse tuner

i just purchased the Quarterhorse tuning chip and binary software and began installing it into my 1994 ford bronco that i just converted into mass airflow, with a 1995 ford f150 computer. WAY1 that went fairly well but now time to get a good tune for that computer. i just installed the chip today and i am useing this to keep track of all my progress with the tuning soft ware and changes i am making. i am going to update everything i do and changes i make to the ecu so if anyone has been thinking of getting there own tuning software this will hopefully help them later on as a reference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Click image for larger version

Name:	computer.jpg
Views:	1166
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	30274

Name:	computer 2.jpg
Views:	1209
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	30282
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

before installing the quarter horse or any tuning chip make sure you clean the grease of the j3 port. i used denatured alcohol from work its great for cleaning electrical equipment as long as you do not over do it!!! after installing the chip i plug the usb into the chip and sealed the back with electrical tape to make sure it was not open for anything to get inside. then ran the usb cord to inside the glove box so i can plug the laptop in when ever i want ! this will also make for a good diagnostics tool. being able to see all live data from the ecu as the truck is running will also show if there are any problems. be very careful re installing the ecu back into its housing and when you bolt the rubber sealant around the ecu back on do not go to tight on the bottom nut you don't want to damage the chip or the actually computer so far so good now to get my laptop ready to begin tuning. i will wright up everything you need to do to set your laptop up to support the tuning software !

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up alright

just got my first tune done on my bronco got my air to fuel perfect i am loveing this software very east to get the hang of.! i up the mass air readings to balance the 19lbs injectors out and have a stable reading all when accelrating all through my gears. it took a couple trial runs but as long as you keep the mass air chart curved and stay in the right air/fuel ratio you will be okay that one is my driving tune. i burnt aother tune thats for nothing but speed you can change these tunes on the fly so its awsome when sitting at a red light and a mustang pulls up thinking there bad ass, you just click the second tune then upload takes two seconds then your peeling wheels from the street light showing why a bronco is a much more bad ass horse then a mustang! The performance tune i have increased the injectore fireing time and spark time mass air curve and bumped up the fuel table when the mass air is reading higher then a 3.5 volt thats when i get a little bogging so that really kicked it in the butt to get it through them higher speeds! even doing that i only reach a 13.2 fule/air witch is really not to bad. but fuel milage on that tune is about 8mpg but my first tune for just driving with a good amount of power is 14mpg complet difference this tuneing software was the best investment ever made next thing i am going to be working on is the shifting on the e4od with the perfomance tune, all that power second shifts a little to fast it could go a little longer on full throttle! i will keep updateing and hopefully i can upload my tunes here so i can keep them as back up and other people could use them to
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 10:04 PM

Bronco Info: 1990 Bronco, 5.8L
You must have done some tuning before, kind of rare that someone gets a Quarterhorse and BE and is productive with tuning from the get go. I just got rid of my Quarterhorse and am direct flashing now since I have OBDII. The Quarterhorse is a good product. I did not realize that the VEX1 strategy for WAY1 had all of the E40D definitions in there so that you could tune shift points, or did you purchase a more complete strategy definition.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 05:04 PM

Bronco Info: no bronco for me :(
the strategy file is made by individual people, one of the administrators on the on http://www.efidynotuning.com/forum "sailorbob" has the most complete AHACB strategy file that he sells for $25, you can adjust EVERYTHING in the ecu

that would probably be your best bet for ecu tuning information
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

yes i did get in touch with sailor bob and his strategy deff alot better then the vex1 this one i can do alot more with. and this is my first time tuning but where i am from there are alot of tuneing shops. i hung around people who did it for a living so i knew a little then i just read up on the rest of the stuff and played around with be for a couple of weeks to get the hang of it. so far i finsh tuning the bronco and now i am doing two mustangs with the quarter horse i love this software much better then hyperchip and the other stuff the professionals use in there shop. The downloading on the fly makes tuning alot faster and helps with playing around with some numbers like with your WOT and spark advancements. Its great but now the bronco is taken completely apart doing some body work and a paint job to match the motor!
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 05:03 AM Thread Starter

coming along way from the tune to take the truck apart and doing body work. finished the paint job and resembling. should have the truck on the road in two weeks i now have a car show quality bronco with a lot of ass behind it. GOT TO LOVE FORD
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Name:	B.jpg
Views:	802
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	34242 almost ready
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013, 12:45 PM

Bronco Info: 96 Bronco with 5.8L 351w., K&N Cold Air intake, 2.5" Rough Country Lift, HID headlights,and counting
I'd like to do some tuning in the future but have no idea where to even start. Can you give me some advice on where to start researching and upgrades I might need to make prior? I'd really like to get more involved in the diagnostics and love the sound of the system you're using.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Love my bronco. Just wish she wasn't so in love with my wallet.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 04:54 PM

Bronco Info: no bronco for me :(
First thing, swap a good set of heads on her

Theres a bunch of good tuning write ups here

http://www.efidynotuning.com
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 02:06 AM Thread Starter

if you want a motor that really needs tuning and can really benefit from it i recommend, heads headers top end intake bigger throttle body and bigger injectors. if you really want to get deep into the tuning i would do a cam swap too but i didn't do that because it becomes a pain in the butt some times. And if you really want to learn alot about tuning there is another web site i a ma member of called EECTUNING.ORG and there are some really skilled people on that website that will help you,there willing to ex plane all the first steps of tuning. They helped me so much and the set up i am using is awesome the moats Quarter horse. i have been in tuning shops before and seen tweeter and hyper chip etc and by far this is the smoothest and easy operating tuning program i have ever used i highly recommended it. If you have any questions you can message me.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 05:23 PM

Bronco Info: 1991 5.0 nite? maybe has the dash at least haha and its monochrome heck i like it
can you post a list of what was needed to buy i will be doing this same setup soon and i want to make sure im buying everything i need.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 01:32 AM Thread Starter

all you need is the quarter horse and binary editor, you can get the eec analyzer also but i don't use it. So i would buy them two things and that will get you tuning but i really highly recommend getting a wide band gauge and installing it. That saved me so much time and effort in tuning, that is a make or break in tuning
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 04:25 AM Thread Starter

back in action

haven't really updated this in some time. bronco tune is finished and i installed a 2000 stall torque convert for better launches off the lines. i finished restoring the body and now that mean gun metal gray paint job goes with that bad ass motor under the cowl hood. tuning with the quarter horse was very easy to use. no more emission crap on my motor!
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 01:05 PM

Bronco Info: 1996 Eddie Bauer 351w STOCK
Garage
I have a friend that has all of the quarter horse software and hardware for tuning his turbo'd mustang, I bought the programmable chip (j3 or f3?) and he told me we had to find out what strategy we needed. I have no idea what all that means... Can you explain or help me? I'm not going very deep into the tuning, just deleting all the emissions stuff and maybe a little fine tuning. Thanks

1996 Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.8, completely stock, for now...
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 01:06 PM

Garage
Oh, and my bronco is a 1995 with 302 and e4od

post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 04:54 PM
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Bronco Info: 1992 xlt, 351EFI, .040, E4OD, D44 SAS w/Trutrac,Detroit locked 8.8, MAF conv, Tweeced
Garage
assuming your rig is already MAF, you probably have a WAY1 EEC that is running the VEX1 strategy. do you have one or two O2 sensors?
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 07:28 AM

Garage
It is MAF and only one o2 sensor

post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-22-2014, 12:13 PM

Garage
Got my computer out to get some info

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 1980-'96 Bronco Tech > ECC Tuning

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode