351w supercharger input needed - Ford Bronco Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 94 EB Supercharged 351w 6" lift 35/12.50/15 xterain on procomp alloy rims
351w supercharger input needed

well a local shop has rebuilt my 351w and i was offered a supercharger for it for 1500 dollars is this a good deal or is it a scam the super charger comes with full MSD ignition and everything needed to get me going
i just dont know enough about them to make a smart decsion so i need some input i think its a eaton if that makes any sense
thanks everyone!!!

JACK IT UP cause fat chicks can't jump
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 12:08 AM

Bronco Info: 94 ford bronco with 4 inch rancho lift and 31s. 3.55 gear and 5.8 also a e4od transmission.
do it

its better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who your not.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 94 EB Supercharged 351w 6" lift 35/12.50/15 xterain on procomp alloy rims
price

is the price fair or should i dicker around with it

JACK IT UP cause fat chicks can't jump
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 12:49 AM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 93 5.8L tons of stuff
First off try breaking your words up into sentences. Second it sounds like your getting had. $1500 for a supercharger with MSD ignition, installed, is way too cheap. Something is up.

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 12:57 AM
Resident Moron

Bronco Info: 1982 5.8L C6 Megasquirt York OBA 3G Headers Saginaw pump
This is a roots type blower? $1500? That includes install? That seems a lot low for what you seem to be getting.

There are quite a lot of things to deal with. What would the boost pressure be? would it require premium fuel? Is the added hassle worth the extra horsepower for you?

Consider that at a conservative boost of 6PSI assuming 8.0-1 static compression ratio, and assuming you are at sea level, you will see 11.27-1 effective compression ratio. That would mean you are committed to premium fuel.

To have the garage asking after the rebuild if you want the blower seems odd. This is something you build your engine to handle, not add as an after thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strahan View Post
Hmmm.. a smoked sausage wrapped in that cheesy bacon weave may be good.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 01:08 AM

Bronco Info: 1985 Bronco FS, 351W, C6, NP208F, 32" Trail Handler's, HEI Dizzy.
dont ask questions, just do it. DO IT!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 01:16 AM
trying to go fast!!

Bronco Info: 93 EB 347 Stroker, NP435 swap,35" BFG M/T,
dang sounds like somthin is up i might just go and pick up the supercharger and then figure more about it later and then put it on later after you know what your dealing with

347, Summit block, Air Flow Reasearch Outlaw heads, Comp Cams 282,292, 565. 574., Forged Eagle crank, Forged Eagle connecting rods, Speed Pro Pistons, Victor Jr. Intake, Comp Roller rockers, Engine works timing gears, Kevoko 9 qt baffled oil pan, Meling M68 oil pump, Holley Truck Avenger 670 (too small).
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 06:25 AM

Bronco Info: 95 XL 302-M5R2-1356-3L55-31's
No balls!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 09:05 AM
Trying to finish it

Bronco Info: 1988 w/ 351W, C6, NP 208, 6 inch superlift front, BDS rear leaf, 37 inch Boggers, 9" 4.88 detriot
don't do it, it sounds fishy. plus, you have to get certain parts for your engine to handle the s-charger.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 10:56 AM

Bronco Info: 1989 bronco bone stock for now
i have worked at local speed shops here in memphis and we use to try and upsell items to people. i can tell you that their is tunning out their for obdII vehicles that they can plug and play on .. not sure what your veh is. but 1500.00 sounds too cheap . unless the shop has a used blower laying around . we did a lot of vetts and i think the cheapest kit for them was like 3200. + install. you will have to use premium fuel. and if you have 8.5 or 9. to 1 comp . it should be fine. they would try to put fmu on it which works good. i would get more details and try to search the kit on google and read all reviews before i made up my mind ..
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borflink View Post
This is a roots type blower? $1500? That includes install? That seems a lot low for what you seem to be getting.

There are quite a lot of things to deal with. What would the boost pressure be? would it require premium fuel? Is the added hassle worth the extra horsepower for you?

Consider that at a conservative boost of 6PSI assuming 8.0-1 static compression ratio, and assuming you are at sea level, you will see 11.27-1 effective compression ratio. That would mean you are committed to premium fuel.

To have the garage asking after the rebuild if you want the blower seems odd. This is something you build your engine to handle, not add as an after thought.

I seriously doubt they are talking a roots , im sure they are talking about a centrifugal ... in order to run a roots you would have to go carb , mechanical injection or serious custom stand alone. 1500 does sound really cheap , i would want to know what the head unit for the supercharger is first off .... if its a nice brand like pro charger , vortech or paxton ... then i would jump all over it , its worth 1500 even if its worn out and needs new bearings.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 04:19 PM
Satyr of the Midwest

Location: Ida & Grand Rapids, Michigan, a.k.a The Unemployment Capital of America
Bronco Info: 1993 EB, 5.8L, BIO0 MAF, GT40Ps, Mustang cam, GT40 Intake, Custom Headers, Moates QuarterHorse
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieF View Post
I seriously doubt they are talking a roots , im sure they are talking about a centrifugal ... in order to run a roots you would have to go carb , mechanical injection or serious custom stand alone.
It could very well be a Kenne Bell twin-screw setup, but those aren't any cheaper than a centrifugal (ball-bearing, geared, or belted). $1500 is too little for a brand-new blower unit, let alone the accessories to go with it. You could barely get a head unit for that much.

SigEpBlue
Wheelin' across Michigan from Ida to Grand Rapids, baby!
Quote:
Nemo nisi per amicitiam cognoscitur -- No one learns except by friendship.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlai Stevenson
Isn't it conceivable to you that an intelligent person could harbor two opposing ideas in his mind?
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 04:32 PM
Resident Moron

Bronco Info: 1982 5.8L C6 Megasquirt York OBA 3G Headers Saginaw pump
He mentioned Eaton in his first post. That had me thinking roots

IF it is a new unit, installed and tuned for $1500, even a centrifugal, that is a steal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strahan View Post
Hmmm.. a smoked sausage wrapped in that cheesy bacon weave may be good.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 04:45 PM

Bronco Info: 1992, 5.0, M5OD, warn hubs, Catco y-pipe
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieF View Post
I seriously doubt they are talking a roots , im sure they are talking about a centrifugal ... in order to run a roots you would have to go carb , mechanical injection or serious custom stand alone.
You don't have to go carb to run a roots blower, EFI would work fine, you would just need to tune it for the extra air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigEpBlue View Post
It could very well be a Kenne Bell twin-screw setup, but those aren't any cheaper than a centrifugal (ball-bearing, geared, or belted). $1500 is too little for a brand-new blower unit, let alone the accessories to go with it. You could barely get a head unit for that much.
Agreed, I would be weary of his offer. Just a supercharger kit is in the neighborhood of $2500 and thats before the install.

1992 Custom, Rebuilt 5.0L, M5OD swap, BW1356.
Warn hubs, K&N filter, Catco Y-pipe, Ford Racing Headers, 3G Alt, Saginaw PS Pump, E-Fan.
Pioneer head unit and 220W 3-way speakers.
My Supermotors.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 07:03 PM

Bronco Info: smells like gear oil
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimeswapd16z View Post
they would try to put fmu on it which works good.
FMU's are gay.

92 EB - 302/E4OD (205,000mi) - Eric
+ lots of cool crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgmid61
I am sorry to have bothered you on your forum, you should post on the home page though, dont ask any questions cause if you dont know you are stupid...
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 07:35 PM

Bronco Info: 96 EB 351 blown, Edelbrock intake,MSD,Ford motorsports headers,pro-M, SAS Suspension 35's,e-lockers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco4Life View Post
FMU's are gay.
wanna buy my old FMU

Originally Posted by DomesticDisturbance
i have 6"s and have no problem with my shaft
http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/registry/16733
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 08:08 PM

Since i was corrected twice in this post , i feel the obligation to explain a few things. First off , topfisherman ...i said it could be EFI with a roots with a serious custom stand alone .... stand alone meaning ECU such as accel DFI gen 7 , motec , haltech or Felp pro sefi8lo ,i am not writing this being a smartass .... just trying to inform a big misconception in the automotive world.
Supercharger 101

There are 4 types of superchargers out there .....

CENTRIFUGAL such as vortech , pro charger , powerdyne and paxton

ROOTS such as Holley , weiand , littlefield , BDS , Kobelco Ect.

TWIN SCREW/WHIPPLE such as Kenne Bell , Eaton ect.

WATER DRIVE which i will not get into , because you guys will never see it on a automobile

A roots has flat rotors with a slight pitch , a screw is exactley what it says , it has 2 rotors overlapping each other like a screw. Centrifugal has a rotor like a turbo and is remote mounted. Hope this helps a little to understand superchargers more then they are all blowers.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 08:18 PM

Bronco Info: smells like gear oil
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad96 View Post
wanna buy my old FMU
Hell no, if I wanted crap under my hood, I'd put a carb on.

Tuned EFI is the correct way to do sheet.

BTW, where the hell were you! You missed out something fierce!

92 EB - 302/E4OD (205,000mi) - Eric
+ lots of cool crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgmid61
I am sorry to have bothered you on your forum, you should post on the home page though, dont ask any questions cause if you dont know you are stupid...
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 12:19 AM

Bronco Info: 1995 ford XLT...K&N FIPKGEN2......BFG's MT SOON: Bassani Y-Pipe, bassani headers, high flow cat. ETC
i would not do it. for a couple of reasons; too cheap, sounds scetch, and SC's mess up your engine more than benefit your engine. as stated by one of the fellas on here...your going to have to tune your engine some more and spend a little more money on some stronger parts for your engine to handle the SC. my train of thought, if you dont have money to do it right, and it did not come with a SC from the factory....its not worth it. JUST my .02
If it sounds too good to be true.......it most likley is....sad but ture!
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 11:05 AM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1993 F150 Flare Side
A used Powerdyne could come in that cheap. The install doesn't take much. You got to find out what type of blower it is and how much boost is expected. More boost equals more tuning, larger injectors, bigger fuel pump and more expense. Still sounds cheap or maybe a great deal on a used unit.

Get more info!

01, Ranger Edge 4X4, 4.10's, 265/70R16, lowered, lightened, and with a Supercharged 4.0

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 1980-'96 Bronco Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode