Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Stock Replacement Springs Review

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  rebel33382 
#1 ·
I posted a while back asking about stock replacement springs for the Bronco that would ease some of the abuse we endure.

I decided to attack the front coils first since they were cheaper and I thought they would be easier to replace than the leafs (at least they were on my '72).

Well, a few skinned knuckles and 3 hours later I have new Moog 820 model stock replacement springs installed. The first side wasn't easy to remove or replace, but they second side only took 30 minutes after I learned the process. I have a 5.8L engine and they Moog product spec says the 820's are designed for the additional weight of the 5.8L vs. the 5.0L. They designed the 818's for the 5.0L.

If you decide to do this I will give you a few pointers on the removal and installation. If you are running a front anti-sway bar then you should unbolt the frame mounts on both sides before you remove the tires. This will allow for the additional axle droop needed to drop the coil springs out of the mounts. Also you must disconnect the shocks to also allow for the additional droop. You will need a 1-1/8" socket to remove the lower hold-down nut. A regular socket will do, but a deep socket will work better. Clean out all the dirt and mud around that lower hold-down nut and spray with penetrating oil a few days before the attempt. I think they contracted Hercules to tighten them at Ford. Either use coil spring compressors to shorten the springs for removal and installation or use a hi-lift jack to raise the frame up a bunch.

The 820's are an improvement over the stock springs. I won't say that it rides like a newer Ford pickup, but it is much better. The 820's take off the biting thump that the stock springs provide when running over anything larger than an acorn. The variable rate Moog 820's are soft enough to absorb that bite, but they don't sag when you roll into a corner.

I can say that I would recommend them especially for the price. I found them for $68 including shipping on Amazon. Plus $9.98 for a deep 1-1/8" socket still is a cheap install. They raised the front end up 1-5/8" but that was probably more due to tired front springs than the new springs being taller. I have a feeling installing the 818's with the 5.8L would arrive at the same ride height, but I don't know for sure.

All in all I would recommend the investment if you enjoy retaining your dental fillings.

No pictures...sorry.

Scott

See less See more
#3 ·
you can also get the ones for the F-250 2wd and get some more lift, espeically the one for the diesel motor. I put the c820 springs on and wish I had put the F-250 ones on! Oh well, but the c820's do ride well, I also used the new gabrielle monomax which are great too! I am happy with them, especially towing the boat and taking turns while deaccelerating

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.