post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 89' Bronco E.B. 351W 35" m/t, 3" b/l. warn hubs
Do your pistons look like this?

Finally took off my heads today, and look what was in store for me:

-i blame the p.o.

you guys ever seen this kinda shit??
you suggest a rebuild? lol

think about it. seriously.

1989 Bronco Eddie Bauer. rebuilt 351W. C6. 3"Body. 35" Procomp m/ts. Warn hubs. oil/temp/volt gauges.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 08:50 PM
my bko ate my money

Bronco Info: 92 Eddie Bauer Bronco 5.0, E4OD,MAF Conv, sixltre tune-up, OBA, on 31x10.50x15s
well its not THAT bad but yes it could use a rebuild(including new pistons) and a good honeing

92 Eddie Bauer bronco 5.0--Travis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopes
11:47 pm: hand pack it on the shaft. it's something you should be good at
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoomooman
some bucks is better than no bucks!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 08:52 PM
rolling Rolling ROLLING....

Bronco Info: 93 Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoomooman View Post
well its not THAT bad but yes it could use a rebuild(including new pistons) and a good honeing
x2

what were you expecting them to look like?

Tim

Newest token Jeep owner....

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 10:10 PM

Bronco Info: 1982 Bronco With '86 302 Carbed
Not too bad, I've seen a lot worse. Agree with the rest, good honing and rebuild is in your future.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 10:42 PM
FSM Lifetime

Does not look too bad. Just some detination mixed with alittle oil always seems to leave a stain. I would not necessarily go buying new pistons just yet. Do a good honing and new rings and refurbish the pistons with some elbow grease and should come out real nice.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 11:11 PM

Bronco Info: 85 FS Bronco 351w,C6,Atlas 4, D60 35 spline outers Ried knuckles , 14 bolt,5.38, Detroits,42"TSL
Quote:
Originally Posted by g8rfan View Post
Does not look too bad. Just some detination mixed with alittle oil always seems to leave a stain. I would not necessarily go buying new pistons just yet. Do a good honing and new rings and refurbish the pistons with some elbow grease and should come out real nice.
X2

If I can just get it out of here I can fix it.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 11:19 PM

Bronco Info: 80 BRONCO 400 NP435 NP205 Detroits , SAS, 5'' lift on 36'' TSL's
Quote:
Originally Posted by g8rfan View Post
X3

I bet if you clean those pistons up they will look fine. The good news is what I can see of the cylinder walls they look great. Good Luck with your build.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 11:25 PM
FSM Lifetime

It looks to me to be running alittle lean instead of rich or is running a hot plug by the grayish tint on the surface of the piston. Not really that black. They do show a good center flash point burn. Good tell of that is the center of each piston alittle shiny and relatively clean and how the oil burn is in a good circle pattern on the outer side of the piston surface.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 11:33 PM
Try it now!!

Location: hotels, Charlotte, Roanoke VA, the cockpit...time split equally between all of them.
Bronco Info: 1989 460 EFI/C6/BW1356 electric/6 inch Rough Country lift/York OBA/Warn hubs/electric fans/14 bolt
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 12:21 AM

Bronco Info: 87FSB, 302 020 over ,3g alt, GT40 heads, Exp intake , Bassani Exhaust and 24" Magnaflow muffler
Unless it looks like this, I would not worry to much

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 12:24 AM
FSM Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncoflorida View Post
Unless it looks like this, I would not worry to much

Why be worried with that? You should of gained at least 20 more horses with a piston looking like that. And with that access to the ring like that, just makes it easier to change out the ring without pulling out the piston.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 12:58 AM
Cleaning the trails

Bronco Info: 96 Forest Service Retired 188K original miles on the odometer and still going strong
Doesn't even look like there is a ridge at the top of the cylinder. If you run your fingernail toward the top where the rings tops out, how much of a ridge is there? It is a good inicator of how much wear you have on the cylinder walls. Almost looks like there are hone marks on the wall still.

Looking for So Cal West Coast AAT Volunteers
96 Fed Gov't Surplus 5.8L XL 4" BDS Lift
KI6FGI 146.520
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 01:12 AM

Yeah, this is what a bad piston looks like:

Actually, the piston itself is fine, except for where it was hitting the crank. just the conn rod bent.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 11:53 AM

Bronco Info: 1996, 5.8L, EB
Check the sparkplug wire for that cylinder, or you may need to step down on the plugs.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 03:17 PM

Bronco Info: 91 302/E4OD/3.55, F-150 cab
Shoot, that isn't even dirty. Check out the gunk I had in my lifter valley at 130k. Thanks to the P.O. and a life of cheap oil and most likely infrequent changes ...

Unfamiliar the miles under my heels ...
Structural Engineer / General Steel Geek
A Turn Of The Nut -- Pickwick Fields Lamb -- 87/91 F-150 cab swap -- My Supermotors
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 01:15 AM Thread Starter

ooohhh man was i worried.. you guys suggest i just get new rings an hone the walls?
cuz thats the cheap way, n too me sounds like the best way :)

i was worried at first bout the pistons but thanks for makin me feel better

1989 Bronco Eddie Bauer. rebuilt 351W. C6. 3"Body. 35" Procomp m/ts. Warn hubs. oil/temp/volt gauges.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 01:50 AM

Bronco Info: '78 Bronco Ranger XLT - 400, C-6, NP-205, 4" lift w/35's. 3G w/ Lincoln fan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_bko89 View Post
Finally took off my heads today, and look what was in store for me:

-i blame the p.o.

you guys ever seen this kinda shit??
you suggest a rebuild? lol
picture 2 looks like you have had some water get into it. Check your rods when you pull it apart.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 01:57 AM

That's not horrible at all.

It's hard to see if there's a ridge or not on the cylinder walls. Generally if they catch your fingernail then it's a good idea to bore, hone and go oversize.

If not then a simple light hone and new rings should be fine.

When the pistons are out you can sandblast, wire brush, or scrape all that carbon off them. Just be sure to wrap duct tape around the skirts so you don't accidentally damage them.

Good luck!

'89 XLT, 302, AOD, 8.8" 3.55, Pace setter ceramic shorty headers, DynoMax cat-back, 263K miles, 31" Yokohama Geolander AT+2 *SOLD and missed*

'95 XLT, 302, E4OD, 8.8" 3.55. 3" Body Lift, 31" Tires, 178k miles
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 02:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winder View Post
picture 2 looks like you have had some water get into it. Check your rods when you pull it apart.

what should i look for?
this is my first time pulling my motor.. think that refreshing the pistons, honing and new rings all i need to do?EDIT: cuz im a broke @$$

+i'm gonna get reman. heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValkariaKid View Post

It's hard to see if there's a ridge or not on the cylinder walls. Generally if they catch your fingernail then it's a good idea to bore, hone and go oversize.

If not then a simple light hone and new rings should be fine.

i felt w/ my nail, an there's really no ridge on top of the engine block or on the cylinder's... my nail didn't catch and i couldn't feel a ridge on most of the cylinders..

as far as honing goes-- HAYNES suggest using "bottle nose" honing style tool... any one have expericence w/ this?

post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 05:47 AM

Bronco Info: Bronco-less for now
Hope you don't mine a bronco newbie offering help, I have been tinkering with engines for 20+ years, V8's and aircooled VW's. I really don't know anything, so this is only meant to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_bko89 View Post
what should i look for?
rods not bent, not twisted, not black, just a healthy oil stained color

Quote:
this is my first time pulling my motor.. think that refreshing the pistons, honing and new rings all i need to do?EDIT: cuz im a broke @$$

+i'm gonna get reman. heads
When you pull your pistons check your cylinders all the way down their bores. If everything looks ungouged and all moving parts are getting along a refresh could give several more years of service. Broke budget quality = clean and reuse a lot of parts. Fresh heads means you want fresh rings also or good sealing fresh heads would put added strain on worn rings. If anything you could save money on the heads for now by doing a liquid valve seal integrity check and if need be lap the valves for a few more years of running, unless the guides are gone.

Quote:
i felt w/ my nail, an there's really no ridge on top of the engine block or on the cylinder's... my nail didn't catch and i couldn't feel a ridge on most of the cylinders..
That is good. Carbon around the top is normal but it should come off with a cleaning and some solvent to dissolve the carbon. I have seen ridges so bad you could almost lift the block with your fingertips catching them.

Quote:
as far as honing goes-- HAYNES suggest using "bottle nose" honing style tool... any one have expericence w/ this?
I have never done this much, too skeered. Plus what a shop would charge for a cyl hone is close to what the tools would cost if you skip the hot tank and mag checks and did all your own cleaning.

Let your wallet be your final decision maker!

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 1980-'96 Bronco Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode