PLEASE USE SEARCH!!! - Ford Bronco Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-21-2003, 03:26 AM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: I'll never tell
PLEASE USE SEARCH!!!

Ok, the sudden influx of newb's is great for the site. Wonderful. I feel though, that we have lost the emphasis on the use of the SEARCH button.

First off, lemme clear up a few things, common questions if you will.

Take the sway bars off!! As soon as you get the damn truck. Just take em off, dont ask why or how, just do it.

Yes, the top does come off, fifteen bolts on mine, if I remember. And while your at it, take the doors off.

Go six inches, everybody wishes they had that only went with four.

A/T anything are for pussies.

My truck is the way I want it, so don't ask me how you should build yours.

The newb's just need to take a little time, do some research, answer your question before it gets asked, that sorta thing. We have a search button, please, use it.

Thank you all for your time. Enjoy the site! :mrgreen:
Fast Floyd likes this.

94' White Bronco

Got some crap on it.

Ninjas are cool; and by cool, I mean totally sweet.

Superford Page
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-21-2003, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: I'll never tell
I remember when I was told to use search for the first time, I was kinda offended. This was in my newbie days. I was like "geez, it's just one question..."

Well, now that that "one question" has been asked by 100 people, I see know why I was told that.
Fast Floyd likes this.

94' White Bronco

Got some crap on it.

Ninjas are cool; and by cool, I mean totally sweet.

Superford Page
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 11:23 PM

The search function on most bulletin board software completely sucks compared to a real search engine like Google. It's slow and doesn't do any word correlation, pattern matching, or anything, just raw text matching is so 80's and it sucks.

There is no search link until you sign up for an account on this board. I'm sure this causes less people to search than anything else (it did me). This is especially true for the newbie to the board that is just looking for information. They don't see a search feature so they sign up and ask a question never realizing that the search function magically appeared after they signed up. Confusing, especially to someone new to the board.
mollysmad likes this.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-31-2006, 04:45 AM

Bronco Info: 95 Bronco 351W w/ D60 Front & Sterling Rear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knobby
The search function on most bulletin board software completely sucks compared to a real search engine like Google. It's slow and doesn't do any word correlation, pattern matching, or anything, just raw text matching is so 80's and it sucks.

There is no search link until you sign up for an account on this board. I'm sure this causes less people to search than anything else (it did me). This is especially true for the newbie to the board that is just looking for information. They don't see a search feature so they sign up and ask a question never realizing that the search function magically appeared after they signed up. Confusing, especially to someone new to the board.
Search here works fine for me...I find everything i need here and its fast...quit crying...there are plenty others that have no problem....and many boards will not let you search until you sign up...go to pirate...you have to pay before you can search...
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-31-2006, 08:34 AM

I'm not crying. I'm explaining why people don't search. The people complaining about someone using the forums to ask questions are the ones crying.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-31-2006, 09:48 AM

Bronco Info: 95 Bronco 351W w/ D60 Front & Sterling Rear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knobby
I'm not crying. I'm explaining why people don't search. The people complaining about someone using the forums to ask questions are the ones crying.
Because the same questions have been asked a million times...
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-31-2006, 11:42 AM

Yeah, I know it's a pain. I have been a member of hundreds on online communities over the years and it's the same everywhere. Personally I don't mind answering the same question a million times but I know it bothers some people. I don't like hostile attitudes towards new people though. Like I said, you see the exact same thing everywhere, it's not unique to this board. It's just the nature of the beast (partly due to poor software tools also).

Information tends to change over time so getting a concise up-to-date answer is quicker and easier than spending hours pouring over old posts. The problem with most message boards is that there is a ton of useless messages mixed in with whatever you are looking for. It can take a lot of time to sort all that out and you still might not find what you are looking for. Even worse is that you don't know if you found the latest information or not.

I think just telling people to search is a waste of time. It would be better to put together a site (FAQ, Wiki, whatever) that contains the most common information asked for and it kept up to date with posts made in the forum. This is what most boards do. I don't know if this site has something like that but if it does I couldn't easily find it. That's another thing, it needs to be super visible and easy to find. People gloss over stuff, it's stupid but until you spend a lot of time within a particular system you don't really know what is going on and this is to be expected.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-19-2006, 11:36 PM
pud

Bronco Info: 87 xlt 5.0L auto beater
answering good tech questions a million times isnt nearly as annoying as answering questions like "What size tires can I fit on my bronco with no lift?" (here) or "Do TB spacers work?" (FTE) or "whats the best cam for my stock 88 mustang gt?" (stangnet). It doesnt matter where you go the idiots all ask the same stupid questions without trying to research for themselves. I call them idiots because they obviously can not take the time to read and understand the bizillion pages of information regarding there question. Instead they make a post hoping someone will just tell them what to do...they dont think for themselves which is why they are idiots. /rant

Now if these people would read the "read first" posts they would see the part which says to use the search function for their answers before making a post and possibly knocking a more technical post off the page.

Now, when a person joins an online forum they recieve an activation email. To fix the problem with people not using search the activation email should tell them so use the search function for the "activation thread" that would then be burried in the archives. This way before a person can even post they have to know how to use search, and if they make a post we all know they know where the search function is and how to use it.

that wont ever happen though...so [/rant] and happy 4wheelin
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 10:17 PM

Bronco Info: 1990 FSB 5.0 rusted to hell
this should be stickied to the new posts thread thats where most ppl start

post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 03:50 PM

Bronco Info: 95' F-250 8" skyjacker lift w/ 37" bf mud terrains
U have to be a member to search

SLOOT
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 04:44 PM
Lick my balls

Bronco Info: 1989 bronco, 3" suspension lift, rebuilt 302 with cam, 33' big-os
When I first joined this site, I thought some of the respondants were pricks, but after a while of reading the same questions over and over and not just every now and then but every other day, it gets old and unfortunately, some random newb gets the brunt of it.
Sure some responses are down right rude and uncalled for, but hey if you can't take a joke

there is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people.
Only that in you which is me can hear what I'm saying
No matter where you go or what you do, you live your entire life within the confines of your head
I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it

post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 05:00 PM
It's BTW Not AKA!

Bronco Info: 92 F-150 4x4, 302, BBK Shorties, Flowmaster Duals, M5OD, 2" Rancho Coils, 33x12.50 M/Ts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBoy72 View Post
U have to be a member to search
Wrong. You have to be registered. Members pay $20 a year. Searching is free after you register.

1992 F-150 4x4
East Coast Firefighting- Only the Best
http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/...il.php?id=4768

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogonmut View Post
NTB stole my baby's momma away from me when she was on her way down to the check cashin' store to pay my beeper bill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the man View Post
I spent $330 for 4 BJs.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 07:42 PM

Bronco Info: 1989 Ford Bronco
NOOB HERE

WTF where is search button seriously I can't find it anywhere
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 12:42 AM
Driving Stuff Henry Built

Bronco Info: -90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35" bfg m/t. --73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
Look near the top of this or any page, & you'll see 4 ads & then a gray box that says "Welcome, theeggomobile etc.. Right under that gray box is the magic word "Search". Use it's dropdown for advanced searches.

Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links........................Common Replies to FAQs

“Don't find fault, find a remedy.” -Henry Ford
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 09:20 PM

Bronco Info: 90' 351/E40D 38" tires, 4.88 gears, full float 8.8, lockers F&R
There is no search button where you discribe! (or anywhere else that I can find. Its funny, there is a search button on this reply to thred page.
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 11:51 PM
Driving Stuff Henry Built

Bronco Info: -90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35" bfg m/t. --73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
The top of the page is a little different after some recent changes. It's in the same area, but the gray box with your name has moved further out. Here's a screen shot of the upper right side of this page today, look inside the red circle. Tomorrow...

Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links........................Common Replies to FAQs

“Don't find fault, find a remedy.” -Henry Ford
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 10:01 AM

On my screen there is nothing to the right of Calander. The words are spread out so Calander is at the far right.
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 10:41 AM

Bronco Info: 1989 xlt 1994 xlt
scrollbar at the bottom of the page perhaps?
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 11:24 AM

No, the box ends, not the page.
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 11:43 AM
Redneck Romeo

Bronco Info: SOLD.
Sounds like you're not logged in. But obviously you are, since you're posting. Log out, then back in.

The last REAL SUV was built in 1996!

Chase

4" Rough Country, 130A 3G, RJM Battery Cables, Sixlitre Tune-Up, more to come!

Don't forget to vote for FSB!

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 1980-'96 Bronco Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode