Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

'89 Mustang 302 swap

5K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  BFE1193 
#1 ·
Is there gonna be any complications to swap a 302 from an '89 Mustang into a '91 Bronco that currently has a 302?

#8 ·
check fireing order seems that i ran into something different about that before ho might be different like a 351.... youll love it.. i put a 89 50HO in a 77 f150 4x4 replaceing a 400 and wow was it great

#9 ·
There "Might" be some mild differences, I honestly know nothing about that gen mustang though. The timing cover and lower intake on my rebuilt '90 Bronco engine was different than my EFI '86. Wasn't a big deal, just needed to be swapped out.

#12 · (Edited)
Mrit, your correct on the timing cover for the 86's. The water pump spins a different way. But come 87 and up, it changed, so you can swap in the 302 HO without worrying about this issue.

Knuckles, thats one long @ss sentence you got going on, almost gave me a headache this morning.................

definitely cant use mechanical fuel pump no lobe to drive pump witch was an issue on my 77 swap i did
Yes you can, you just gotta add the correct timing cover, and put the lobe on the timing gears. The mechanical lobe is not made into any 302 cam, it's a bolt on lobe.

reuse injectors from mustang i believe they are higher lbs than truck
No, the mustang uses 19 lb injectors as well

if you can use the stang intake do it better flow and long runners
The truck intake has two intake ports, which makes it take in more air than the mustang intake :doh0715:

i would swap a 90 HO into my 94 inplace of the 5.8 in a heart beat
I wouldn't. Your 351 from 94 is already a roller motor (F4TE block). No replacement for displacement.........

a few have the GTp heads witch are aluminum but those heads use a different header as than a reg 302 stock head.
GTP heads are still cast, not aluminum. But yes they do require a special header.

#10 ·
correct distributor gear for hardened camshaft ,and fireing order, mustang distributor is tfi module if truck dist is tfi you can use the stang dist in its place,you should be able to change gear on truck distributor and reuse the distributor HO motor is rated at 225 hp about 300 tq forged pistons e7 heads ,ithink the truck 302 is not a roller cam and rated about 175 hp thats 50horsies, definitely cant use mechanical fuel pump no lobe to drive pump witch was an issue on my 77 swap i did, reuse injectors from mustang i believe they are higher lbs than truck if you can use the stang intake do it better flow and long runners (another can of worms), speed density on 87/88 stang actually ran stronger than mass air setup on 89 cali cars and up but did not take well to modifications mass air did. i would swap a 90 HO into my 94 inplace of the 5.8
in a heart beat my 77 had 410 gears 35's locker in rear and posi in front granny 4 and would get flat out stupid on dirt but i carbed it with edl 600 and performer intake its hard to forsee the small shit untill you get into the swap this is only my experience and may not count for much

that is my 2 cents and that may be all its worth

#11 ·
The Cam will will be different as well. I have a 94 mustang and a member of a few mustang forms and have seen people askin about putting in a explore motor into a mustnag and the differnece is the cam as well as the other items listed above. May wana look into finding a explore motor with the GT heads in it. Think the 96 explores to the 04 explores has gt heads. a few have the GTp heads witch are aluminum but those heads use a different header as than a reg 302 stock head.

#17 ·
Hey, not overly mechanically inclined but I try. I just swapped an 88 mustang 302 into my 87 bronco. I have fuel, spark, and it turns over, but will not fire. I have been told it is a computer issue, so I have been thinking about just switching it to carburated. In lamans terms can anyone tell me what the actual issue is? If it is I am completely inept at wiring/electronics. Would it be an advantage or disadvantage to switch it over.

#18 ·
Hey, not overly mechanically inclined but I try. I just swapped an 88 mustang 302 into my 87 bronco. I have fuel, spark, and it turns over, but will not fire. I have been told it is a computer issue, so I have been thinking about just switching it to carburated. In lamans terms can anyone tell me what the actual issue is? If it is I am completely inept at wiring/electronics. Would it be an advantage or disadvantage to switch it over.
Read this. <------click
Fuel and spark, sounds like timing.

Make sure your using the mustang distributor also because of the steel roller cam.

#22 ·
nonononono!

You must use the mustang dizzy with the mustang engine. It has a hardened gear. The bronco gear will get eaten.

Also, keep the Mustang firing order. It is different than a 302 bronco. The Bronco EFI doesn't matter, because it's batch fire not SEFI. But the firing order DOES matter.

#23 ·
Front cover and water pump are the same...but swap the pump anyway. Easier now than after the front drive assembly is on and you find out the old pump seals are bad. Of course you need to use the truck intakes, oil pan and pump, and the valve covers (truck PCV is in the valve cover, Mustang PCV is at the back of the lower intake). Probably will need the Mustang distributor, but check yours....some 90's trucks did come with roller cams....I have seen a factory roller motor in a 95 F-150. Not sure if the Mustang headers will work....I used the truck exhaust manifolds just to be safe. Use the HO/351 firing order and all should be fine. So far the speed density computer in my 88 hasn't had any major issues with the Mustang cam.

#24 ·
Stang headers will not fit and I had no problems using truck dizzy and my CV 1991 block. It's a roller block.

Also to add to this refreshen task, if you doubt the pump and strainer, change it NOW since you will have to take the pan off anyways.

I would also do the rear crankseal and the front size is optional since it's east to get to with the engine in place.

And lastly, don't over look the lower block side drain plugs and freeze plugs. Do it now, you will regret it later if you develop issues.

All in All it's a simple swap.

#25 ·
Stang headers will not fit.
I ran a set of mustang headers on my truck just fine when it was still equipped with the 5.0/AOD. They provided a nice real world power AND economy gain and a SOTP meter increase too. I had a dual exhaust fabbed at the same time. The most accepted consensus on here is they will not work with the existing Y-Pipe.

I didn't try to use my existing y as it was in sad shape. But they certainly appeared to exit in the same place as the factory cast iron manifolds.

But without a doubt they will clear everything in the engine bay physically. I have done it and so has several other people on here.

hth
tim

#28 ·
I'm going to do the same thing i have an 89 mustang with the engine already out but my 86 bronco anyway there shouldn't be any complications as long as you use the mustang's wiring harness, ECU, O2 Sensors, and well all other mustang sensors, but since you already have a 302 in there the motor mounts should bolt right up (even though they probably should be changed) and the tranny should bolt right up too

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.