Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Vacuum Boost, Hydro Boost, Electro Boost!!!

56K views 53 replies 19 participants last post by  PWMTN 
#1 ·
My Bronco is currently running factory front Disc Brakes along with Explorer Rear Disc Brakes on a new Currie 9" Rear. I have found that the stock Vacuum Boosted Hydraulic System still has much to be desired in such a heavy truck, especially with a performance engine.

My research has determined that a stock Vacuum Boost Brake System operates at approximately 500 psi and a Hydro Boost Brake System operates at approximately 800 psi.

Then I started looking at the Electric Boost Braking Systems by ABS Power Brake. These system are a high end upgrade for performance Hot Rod builds and heavy trucks. They operate with a high pressure electric pump, to an accumulator and Master Cylinder at a pressure of 1600 psi working to 2400 psi max!!! No engine vacuum is used and the existing Brake Booster or Hydro Boost is removed. The new Master Cylinder mounts directly to the firewall, (or remotely if desired), and the Electric Pump and Accumulator can be mounted almost anywhere else as long as it is below the Master Cylinder to support the gravity brake fluid feed. Also, the Accumulator allows for a smooth brake application and supports 10-15 full brake applications in the case of electric pump failure.

I was initially worried about the safety of higher pressure in the existing brake system, but FedHill rates 3/16" (.028 wall thickness) brake lines at 3200 psi Max Working Pressure and 17,000 psi Theoretical Bursting Pressure. And quality flexible stainless steel brake lines are rated approximately 4000 psi Max Working Pressure and 13,000 psi Bursting Pressure.

ABS Power Brake will set up this system custom to the vehicle and the install appears fairly straight forward. It only has two hydraulic connections, the gravity feed from the reservoir and the high pressure assist line that gets plumbed back to the port on the master cylinder with the accumulator inline. The integral pressure switch and relay come pre-wired, requiring only a ground, a battery connection and a keyed ignition connection.

Does anyone have any experience with an Electric Boost Braking System? If you have experience, what are your thoughts?

See this link for a video of Stacey David on the ABS Electric Boost System.
Stacey David - ABS Power Brake

I know this is once again overkill, but that hasn't stopped me before... :toothless

See less See more
#2 ·
I would think the line ( metal ) would handle those pressures. We use metal lines when in the military and I know most of these line pressures where in 3-9K psi range. Where I would worried at is in any rubber coat wheel line and brakes porportioning between front and back.

Have you not considered the hydraboost? I have a 97 F250 install in place and it is great and the brakes are tighter than 1day old virgin. I don't think you need anything higher than that for our FSB trucks,

#6 ·
I would think the line ( metal ) would handle those pressures. We use metal lines when in the military and I know most of these line pressures where in 3-9K psi range. Where I would worried at is in any rubber coat wheel line and brakes porportioning between front and back.
I am reading quality braided hoses burst at approximately 12,750-13,500 psi, which is triple that of the 4,250 psi required by the standard for this type of hose. By comparison, the quality OE rubber lines burst at 8,000-9,000 psi, with a recommended safe working pressure of 3,600 psi.

Neato! I wonder what kind of amp draw the pump pulls? Also wonder what kind of reliability record the pumps have.

More than anything else, I wonder how the cost compares to the $$$$ JBG Hydroboost kit. Watchin' this with interest...
14 amps, at maximum pressure. ABS states that they have been selling these since 2002 with great reliability. They do offer a seal rebuild kit.

JBG Hydroboost Kit is approximately $800.00. The ABS Electric High Power Brake System is $1150.00, and the ABS Electric Dual Power Max (Hydroboost replacement with 45% more power) is $975.00.

At 8 3/4" long, it is also very efficient on space.

#5 ·
Looks cool and I bet the price is .....not so cool.

It's overkill, I wouldn't want to run those pressures, and my bet would be that it's not as reliable as a simple vacuum booster set-up.

I got great brakes with disks front and rear, but it took a larger bore master cylinder (1 3/8") and the larger F250/350 vacuum booster. This on the 6,000lbs Carcass on 40's.............................................

#7 ·
My Bronco is currently running factory front Disc Brakes along with Explorer Rear Disc Brakes on a new Currie 9" Rear. I have found that the stock Vacuum Boosted Hydraulic System still has much to be desired in such a heavy truck, especially with a performance engine.

My research has determined that a stock Vacuum Boost Brake System operates at approximately 500 psi and a Hydro Boost Brake System operates at approximately 800 psi.

Then I started looking at the Electro Boost Braking Systems by ABS Power Brake. These system are a high end upgrade for performance Hot Rod builds and heavy trucks. They operate with a high pressure electric pump, to an accumulator and Master Cylinder at a pressure of 1600 psi working to 2400 psi max!!! No engine vacuum is used and the existing Brake Booster or Hydro Boost is removed. The new Master Cylinder mounts directly to the firewall, (or remotely if desired), and the Electric Pump and Accumulator can be mounted almost anywhere else as long as it is below the Master Cylinder to support the gravity brake fluid feed. Also, the Accumulator allows for a smooth brake application and supports 10-15 full brake applications in the case of electric pump failure.

I was initially worried about the safety of higher pressure in the existing brake system, but FedHill rates 3/16" (.028 wall thickness) brake lines at 3200 psi Max Working Pressure and 17,000 psi Theoretical Bursting Pressure. And quality flexible stainless steel brake lines are rated approximately 4000 psi Max Working Pressure and 13,000 psi Bursting Pressure.

ABS Power Brake will set up this system custom to the vehicle and the install appears fairly straight forward. It only has two hydraulic connections, the gravity feed from the reservoir and the high pressure assist line that gets plumbed back to the port on the master cylinder with the accumulator inline. The integral pressure switch and relay come pre-wired, requiring only a ground, a battery connection and a keyed ignition connection.

Does anyone have any experience with an Electro Boost Braking System? If you have experience, what are your thoughts?

See this link for a video of Stacey David showing the ABS System.
Stacey David - ABS Power Brake

I know this is once again overkill, but that hasn't stopped me before... :toothless

Go look at a 89 thunderbird that accumulater and pump looks just like my son's.Only thing that looks different is the mc. And his pump was almost 800.00

#11 ·
The ABS Electric High Power Brake System is $1150.00
Thanks. Couldn't seem to find a price on their site.

14 amps, at maximum pressure. ABS states that they have been selling these since 2002 with great reliability.
The low draw and space requirements make it a pretty attractive option.

With 2-3x the pressure of a hydro boost setup (and ~3-5x stock brake setup!), are you at all worried about the ability of the stock size ford rotors (granted, you have 4 of 'em) to absorb the additional heat from the greater clamping force in say a quick stop from high speed (80-20mph) without warping? I plan on it someday myself, but you might want to consider bigger rotors and better calipers (esp. front) to work well with that kind of awesome brake operating pressure.

#13 ·
They is pretty, I always liked look of the 10 hole Alcoas on the late trucks. I opted to go 17 and a little wider for a less balloon-y sidewall on 35s and to accommodate certain brake project dreams.

Started w/ steel 17x9s and ended up switchin' to Lightning 17" alloys, because big honkin' steel wheels are HEAVY!

#16 ·
I am picking up a hydro booster in the next month or so to put in place of my old vacuum system. As far as what I have into the swap price wise, I spent $25 on the used booster from a junk yard (master cylinder and push rod were gone already :'( ). It had all the hoses and fittings to bolt on, and was in good shape, except that someone stomped on the brake pedal with the master removed and it all but shot the piston out the front and seized it. A remaned booster is 189.99 from autojunk (only place I priced) and the core is 57.00. So 157.99 for the booster and hoses. I bought the push rod and spring from Vanco over in Cali (800-256-6295) for $40 shipped to my door in a day. I also bought enough brake line and fittings to redo my entire truck for about $100. Add another $50 for the last hoses I need and it comes out to $347.99. Now that does leave me with a stock master cylinder, but I have stock brakes for now and I will worry about changing it when I go SAS (Already got my 79' D44!).

#19 ·
Seems like he received an early model, possibly used and not complete. Clearly, he had to fab a lot of parts.

The new ABS Systems come with everything and are designed for your specific application and vehicle. They were the hit of the recent SEMA Show and sales have been overwhelming for them. I have also read many reviews (Cobras, Mustangs, Lightnings, Off Roaders, Rods) where the installer was most impressed in all areas, especially braking.

It is an out of the box concept which is unconventional. I read if we all think alike, we will not think at all... I think electro boost is very cool and I am eager to try something unique and different. :thumbup

#21 ·
1 ton calipers up front, some 3/4 ton gm's in back. and a 1 ton master with a manual brake pedal assembly. it can stop 40's in a jiffy.

#22 ·
OK, a little research update...

ABS Power Brake offers the following systems:

Hydraulic Power Brake (Hydro Boost)

Dual Power Max (Hydro Boost/Electric Boost Combination)

Electric High Power Master (Electric Boost)

With a Power Steering Pump Failure, such as an internal leak or engine stalling, the Hydro Boost will have no pressure where as the Dual Power Max has a secondary small electric back-up pump. I have read that a Hydro Boost system failure without an accumulator can dangerously drop to 5% of braking capability. For safety, all ABS Power Brake systems come with an accumulator which can give 10-20 brake applications in the event of a system failure.

Also, you may know that the Hydro Boost robs power from the steering system and engine. And the efficiency of simultaneous steering/braking may be an issue for a crawler at low speed. Hydro Boost system efficiency will be dependant upon the gpm capacity of the Steering Pump, which obviously should be upgraded as it now requires volume to do two jobs at once.

On the other hand, the Electric Boost systems are totally independant of vacuum or power steering pump pressure. They are currently used on modern Lexus, BMW, Mercedes Benz and Cadillac vehicles which should say something about their expected longevity.

As for me, I just pulled the trigger on the ABS Electric High Power Master after reading many positive reviews and once again consulting with the ABS Technical Department.

More to come... :thumbup

#24 ·
And here it is... :twotu:

ABS Electric High Power Master

Master Cylinder (Drivers Side)

Master Cylinder (Passenger Side)

Ford Bronco Specific Mounting Bracket

Polished, solid and hefty...

Accumulator

Electric Pump w/Pressure Switch, Relay & Harness

Soon to be replaced Vacuum Brake Booster & Master Cylinder

My plan is to completely remove the existing RABS Valve on the forward drivers side frame rail and mount the ABS Electric Pump in that location. It is in the perfect location as the Pump must be below the Master Cylinder for gravity feed of the brake fluid.

I am not exactly sure where the Accumulator Ball will go but I have lots of options in where to hide it as it is on the pressure side of the pump and can go anywhere. Since there will much more room in the area of the old Vacuum Brake Booster, I will probably reroute the unsightly wiring harness currently located above it.

More pics to come... :thumbup

#26 ·
Whether the pump constantly runs or not, I am expecting GREAT brakes!!! I do know that the pump has an internal high and low pressure switch and I have not determined if it is adjustable. Heck, my fuel pump runs all the time so whats the problem anyway?

Anyway, I'll be the first one on my block that has a cool high end mod that no-one knows what it is for... :toothless

#27 ·
I would be expectin' the same, considering the increase in pressure. I think it's totally cool that you're pioneering this install.

Heck, my fuel pump runs all the time so whats the problem anyway?
No real issue, I'm just mentally budgeting the 170-200a worth of alternator I'm planning on vs. the demands of all the electrical stuff I intend to add along the way (bigger fuel pumps, e-fans, aux. coolers, gauges, etc).

#28 ·
That is why I upgraded to a:

RJM Injection Technologies 3G 160 Amp Alternator/7” Pivot/Clocked to 4:00
RJM Injection Technologies 3G Alternator Harness
RJM Injection Technologies 2¼” 3G Alternator Serpentine Pulley
RJM Injection Technologies 2 Gauge Heavy Duty Alternator Charge Cable w/175A Mega Fuse
1 Gauge Power/Ground Wire Upgrade :shocked

The ABS Brake Pump only requires 14 amps at max output. So at this point, all is well for me. I can see why power draw totals are of interest to you in your planning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.