bronco vs jeep (poll) - Ford Bronco Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

bronco vs jeep (poll)

i have a 90 xlt 351 with e4od(eeh)...can i get a response on two topics? 1,) jeep wrangler 4.0 manual tranny vs xlt bronco with 351/e4od- offroad comparison & gas milage? 2,) jeep wrangler 4.0 (manual tranny)straight trade 4-90 xlt bronco 351 e4od in great condition?<<< just got my 90 xlt & i sort of had big plans for it. till i realized what it costs to fill a 32 gallon tank! : my wife is ready to trade it for a wrangler... we both wheel 4x4's we own a suzuki sidekick too & that thing is a little demon offroad. it will straight whoop ass on many 4x4's period! & they know this too! but we kinda want the straight scoop from both parties on the two rig's. i know asking here will get the answers we need. we like the idea that we can plow through any idiot in our way! or the safety from the bronco. and enjoy a comfortable day/weekend trip out offroading in the bronco.but DAMN, it's a gas hog! & with all the mod's we had planned...it would seem to only get worse in the gas milage area for us! so maybe a few answers will help us make a choice. thanks

been there, done that...but i didn't do this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 03:58 PM

Bronco Info: 351 Windsor Stock with stock carb. 31' Good Years on American Racing AR767,2 Flow master and rest stock for now;)
Well you are on a Bronco board so guess what I am going to say???

Give up???

BRONCO stays, no heeps...too small and not
Quote:
comfortable day/weekend trip out

86 Ed Bauer Bronco 351W carb, Stock on 31's with Meyers Plow
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 04:18 PM
Sneaky Ba$tard

Bronco Info: 79 351Cleveland, C6, NP205
Heeps are everywhere....Keep the Bronco, It's worth the extra money for gas. Because SizeDoes Matter!!!!

Foghorn

6in BDS Lift / 35 MT/R's

When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
Support the 2nd Amendment
post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 04:24 PM
uh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghorn
Heeps are everywhere....Keep the Bronco, It's worth the extra money for gas. Because SizeDoes Matter!!!!
'
but sometimes its to big.
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 04:34 PM
Project STINKY Superviser

Bronco Info: 78 and 79 Bronco
101" wheelbase has always been the happy medium........Bronc has my vote. :mrgreen:

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."

http://www.supermotors.net/26498

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/27746
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 04:36 PM

Bronco Info: 94 F150 XL, w/351, E4OD and other junk
Is it just you and the wife? No kids? I have three kids and if I had a heep or a sidekick I wouldn't be able to take the fam.......oh wait maybe I should by a heep, then I could go wheelin w/o :lol:

Nah.....I'll keep the Bronco and take the famiy I guess.
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 04:39 PM

Bronco Info: '80 Bronco, 302, T-18, 3.50 ft & 9" rr, 3"lift, 33's
I think you keep answering your own question. You obviously don't like the gas mileage of a real truck, so go get your heep and go away. :twisted:

'80 Bronco
302, T-18
A Few Mods

DILLIGAF

mytruck
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 04:41 PM
YER FUKKED NOW...BITCH!

Bronco Info: 1986 Eddie Bauer,1991 EFI 302, TTB and Spooled 8.8 with 35's .. for now....Carnage is Good
aaaahahahahaha ^^^

http://www.supermotors.net/clubs/sup.../registry/1371

A U.S. VETERAN
- Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to, and including, my life."
That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.
Author unknown
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

i have two kids, & we all fit in the sidekick as well as a jeep. i guess what i'm looking for, is a answer to mileage...i figured there has to be a bronco & jeep owner here...seems like alot of hardcore wheeling is done in short wheel base rigs...but when all the aftermarket & mod's are done you basically have a stock bronco...well close comparisons....so with the bronco we already have, a little engine mod's & lift & tires...this could be a real trail worthy rig...(I HAVE NEVER BUILT A BRONCO) don't really remember seeing any on the trails either? but maybe i'll get a few good reply's to set me straight! heck' if all else fails...i still have the sidekick.

been there, done that...but i didn't do this!
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 05:00 PM
FSB warrior

Bronco Info: was an 81, GT-40P, NP-435, NP208, 36s, 0" lift
Sure gas milage is a factor, but with all the vehicles you got you cant possibly be driving the Bronk everywhere. Well I wouldnt put it past you cuz Broncos rule and all but if you got a tight trail just hit up the zuk. We got a few of those owners and one other Jeep/Bronco owner.

1BadBronco
was a81 Bronco Custom. Sold See my superford link for how I built her!
NOW83 F-250 6.9L IDI, built C-6 1345 D44HD and D70 rear with 3.55 gears. Sag pump, hydroboost, 3G, SD vacuum pump, bumpers, 34" swampers
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 05:43 PM
Sneaky Ba$tard

Bronco Info: 79 351Cleveland, C6, NP205
I think you said it best when you said you don't see bronco's on the trails....I've owned jeeps, I loved mine. But their everywhere...I Love this Bronco, It's been fun to build on, and not everyone's got one either...I think for me it's just being outside the norm. The gas milage is'nt that much worse between a lifted Jeep and a Bronco. I got 7-10 MPG out of my Jeep.(v-8 swap w/33's) I get 10-12 with my Bronco. (302 w/33's) I think it will just come down to your preference. Jeep or Bronco....For Me It's Bronco and I don't see anything taking it's place in my Driveway. Good Luck and Either way, Welcome to our home on WWW. Stay awhile, you'll like it here-----Fog

P.s.- We love pics and don't take the Flamming to seriously.It's Usually just in fun

Foghorn

6in BDS Lift / 35 MT/R's

When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
Support the 2nd Amendment
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 05:46 PM

Bronco Info: I may be slow, but I'm expensive!
This was something my wife and I talked about before we got our first bronco too. Having 3 kids, I wasn't about to put my kids in the back seat of a 1/4ton truck, only 2ft from the rear glass. To us, it wasn't worth the safety risk of the smaller jeep. Besides, I've done things in my stock bronco, that alot of built jeeps only dream of doing - hillclimbs, mud pits, water crossings, pulling cars off 8ft snowbanks
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 06:09 PM

Bronco Info: Black 79 XLT. 429 power and 35" BFG's
I'm with David on this one. I've done stuff in my Bronco that Jeeps wouldn't think about. I think Broncos are more multi purpose; you can wheel it, tow with it, you have more cargo room, it's safer, you can sleep in it when you go camping if the weather turns nasty, and they're pretty good for pulling stumps...hehehehe :twisted:

I had a friend with a Wrangler and when he would hit the same bogs as I did he would have to gear all the way down to first and I still wasn't sure if he'd make it out. I'd hit it in my Bronco and never slow down.....plus I looked cooler cause I was throwing mud everywhere :mrgreen:

Jeeps are like bellybuttons....everybody has one.

Black 79 XLT w/ 68 429 under the hood.
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 06:15 PM
Govt. paid Admin.

Bronco Info: '90 Custom, 302, AOD, 4.56's, 33x12.5 Duratracs, TTB Aussie Locker
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Pirate
Yea.. bellybuttons, that's it! :lol:
You have some of the best points here... mulitpurpose rigs! rockon
I've used my Bronco to pull the wife's Cherokee out of snowbanks (I was playin') and I'll tell ya this... I could pull her out, but no way she coulda pulled me out!

I had a little Y-J that I sold as soon as we found out my wife was pregnant! The reasons were pretty obviouse to me!

post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 07:03 PM

I'm not proud if it but there is a jeep in my househould. My brother has a 1976 CJ5 sitting on 35's.... I have to admit it is fairly swank.
post #16 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 07:16 PM

Bronco Info: 351 Windsor Stock with stock carb. 31' Good Years on American Racing AR767,2 Flow master and rest stock for now;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xPepe`
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Pirate
Yea.. bellybuttons, that's it! :lol:
:lollol:
They are all over and still being made, the Bronco is an investment
Nothing beats going totally topless in a heep, but can get pretty close in the bronco. More space for cargo, safety factor, not limited to only 4 people, etc... Just my 2 cents

86 Ed Bauer Bronco 351W carb, Stock on 31's with Meyers Plow
post #17 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 07:47 PM

If milage is the big factor. That 4.0 doesn't exactly sip gas. My '00 Cherokee averages 16mpg vs. 13mpg in the '94 302. And both of them are driven with a lead foot in heavy traffic conditions.
I say the extra durability and size are worth the 3mpg.
Another thing to look at is insurance rates. Maybe that Bronco would be cheaper and make it a draw on the gas bill.

'89 351W
'94 302 ex-cop Bronco
'73 ex-wife took off with
'03 F-150 SCab 4x4

http://www.superford.org/registry/ve...291/bronco.jpg
post #18 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 07:58 PM

keep the bronco. everyone listed the same reasons...

multipurpose
safety
coolnessfactor (is this a word)
not the norm

hands down. right there is a list. i go to work and i see a ton of lifted jeeps everything from mild to wild.
i only see a handfull of broncos. i'd rather be the leader and be different then follow the leader in a jeep.

johnny canuck. superhero extrordinair....
post #19 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 09:20 AM
YER FUKKED NOW...BITCH!

Bronco Info: 1986 Eddie Bauer,1991 EFI 302, TTB and Spooled 8.8 with 35's .. for now....Carnage is Good
yup yup ... uh huh

Bronco wins ..... jeeps are a dime a dozen

http://www.supermotors.net/clubs/sup.../registry/1371

A U.S. VETERAN
- Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to, and including, my life."
That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.
Author unknown
post #20 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 09:21 AM
TTB Hater of course

I agree with the multipurpose thing. You've just got more room to haul all your gear on the trail. Maybe you don't need that much room, it's up to you.

When you say a "Wrangler" with a 4.0 that needs clarification. You couldn't pay me to drive a stock YJ, total Barbie Jeeps *in stock form* and some of the weakest drivetrain components around.

Now if you could trade the Bronco for a TJ that might be a *sound financial deal,* but you still couldn't pay me to drive a TJ 'cause everyone and his brother along with every magazine out there is building them.

That means TONS of aftermarket support, and if you're into that, go for it! I prefer to build my stuff and search the junkyards than pay for bolt-on everything.... it's just more fun to make stock stuff work in non-stock applications.

The Jeep does get the nod for a solid front axle, even if it is a POS Dana 30.

Totally Twisted and Broke makes me a saaaad Panda

"You can almost see the dismay on Phil, Paul & Bob's faces when Trautwig is talking....and the pause in their voices after he stops....after which they pick-up the pieces of his non-sensical commentary and continue with their telling of the story that is the Tour de France! "

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 1980-'96 Bronco Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode