Any differences in E4OD transmission? - Page 2 - Ford Bronco Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 02:00 PM

Bronco Info: '96 Black 302 XLT - '94 Green 351 E. B. both are E4OD, 3.55 axles, 31 10.50x15
@covijes - you really shouldn't start two threads on the same subject - maybe one of the mods will merge them.

"The simplest solution is usually the best solution" - Occam's Razor

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them." - Albert Einstein
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 02:20 PM
~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Bronco Info: 1995 XLT 5.8 with 97k miles, WARN Premium Hubs
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey350 View Post
@covijes - you really shouldn't start two threads on the same subject - maybe one of the mods will merge them.
But he's only started one... he posted here first, then I recommended for him to start his own thread as his problem didn't match this thread's title

post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 03:47 PM

Bronco Info: '96 Black 302 XLT - '94 Green 351 E. B. both are E4OD, 3.55 axles, 31 10.50x15
I saw his other thread first. I just wanted to have all the possible help in one place. Maybe put the Diagnosis Thread you posted in his other post?, sometimes folks actually do search, and maybe they'll find that write up. It looks pretty inclusive.
sackman9975 likes this.

"The simplest solution is usually the best solution" - Occam's Razor

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them." - Albert Einstein

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 01:09 AM

Bronco Info: 79 XLT 351M (sold) 1978 FSB 351M (sold) 1995 FSB OJ edition (sold) current 1996 XL 5.8
Transmission

Ok guys I am confused. Could someone dumb this down alittle for me. I have 2 Broncos.....a 1995 XLT 302 with a automatic (assume E4OD) 105K miles and a 1996 XL 351 with a automatic..210K miles. Can I pull the trans from the '95 and put it in the '96? The '95 body is toast so I bought this '96 with a clean body.
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 12:42 PM

Since this thread was brought back to life I have some questions that follow along the lines of the original title.

I understand the differences in the bell housing bolt pattern, that there were various updates along the way, and the gear ratios are the same.

When it comes to the internals, is there any difference between the big block, small block, or diesel variations? Could I physically build a small block version to the same specifications as a diesel version?

1990 Eddie Bauer Bronco
2004 Harley F250 with some odds and ends
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 12:56 PM
ate lug

Bronco Info: 88 Bronco/96 Bronco/96 F250
Garage
It would seem your question has already been answered:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePUNISHER View Post
this is not true. the 4.9-5.0 e4od is identical. the 7.5 and 5.8 are also the same.

the difference between these is:

forward clutch:
5.0 3 plates
5.8 4 plates

direct clutch:
5.0 3 plates
5.8 4 plates

this actually is a big difference and significantly contributes to a difference in durability. if youre on the hunt for a small block e4od get one from a 5.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePUNISHER View Post
all your builder has to do is get a 4 plate forward drum and 4 plate direct drum and you got yourself a 5.8 unit. did he do this??? youll have to ask him. i ilterally wont use the 3 plate drums in any rebuild regardless of what its going behind......but usually i use a diesel direct drum. this will hold 5 full thickness plates but they are hard to find and expensive...
This makes me wonder though, if its worth saving anything else out of the 5.8 variant, or if 100% of the rest is the same.
Reading this has made me decide not to sell my 2wd 5.8 E4OD but rather strip it for parts, so when my 5.0 E4OD craps out, i can rebuild it with the bigger clutches.
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 05:52 PM

Not sure if you can help , but i have a 94 bronco and transmission went out, ive got a 96 donor and was wondering what if any needs to be changed for it to be compatible and work on my 94

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 1980-'96 Bronco Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode