Heavy duty radiator - Page 2 - Ford Bronco Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 11:05 PM
Roller rockers are gay

Bronco Info: 2005 Chevrolet Venture, 1997 Acura TL, 1994 Chevy Caprice
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfun41 View Post
Maybe this is just me, But unless it starts running hot when your heavy on the gas I wouldn't worry about it. That being said I would probably go with a radiator meant for a 460 or something Like that that was offered stock. The aluminum radiators are nice but it seems like alot of money for something few people can fix if it ever leaks.
This. Why fix what isn't broke? It seems everytime you play with ANYTHING on this truck it turns into a 20 page thread because everything breaks.

2005 Chevy Venture. 1997 Acura TL. $500 beater. 1994 Chevy Caprice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Bronco" John Galt View Post
New nuts are in the plan.
"Kids, they see the good in everything and through their eyes, they open ours." - Hank Davis

"To be easily amused is to live most of your life smiling."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Bronco Info: 1992 xlt, 351EFI, .040, E4OD, D44 SAS w/Trutrac,Detroit locked 8.8, MAF conv, Tweeced
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnforgiven View Post
This. Why fix what isn't broke? It seems everytime you play with ANYTHING on this truck it turns into a 20 page thread because everything breaks.
just because it's not broken doesn't mean it can't be improved...

what the hell are these 20 page threads you're talking about??

seriously though, while the existing radiator is adequate, I don't think it's up to the task of dealing with the added rolling mass of the bigger tires and modified engine..
post #23 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 04:42 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1994 EB, 2006 PSD, 2016 Lexus, 2005 T Bird
I got a 3 row aluminum from Champion and it works fine. Also fit perfect and looks good.

post #24 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Bronco Info: 1992 xlt, 351EFI, .040, E4OD, D44 SAS w/Trutrac,Detroit locked 8.8, MAF conv, Tweeced
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb767 View Post
I got a 3 row aluminum from Champion and it works fine. Also fit perfect and looks good.
did you notice a big improvement over the factory radiator?
post #25 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 11:40 PM
Service before Self

Bronco Info: 1988 XLT 393 Stroker. MAF All LED/HID 10.25 rear 4 whl disc 8 Lug/Chevy Hubs D44HD SAS E-Locker
I'm also running the angled top 4 row brass one. I've had it for years. Had to repair it once. I kept blowing the caps off of the aluminum and plastic ones when I was running a supercharger. When I had it fixed I also had the neck straightened. Made it much easier to fill. Now that I'm building a diesel for it I'm glad I kept it all this time. I've asked a couple people and all agree that it should be big enough to cool that diesel...

Also I'm running a 2000 Crown Vic e-fan. Had to modify it a little to make it work...

"Service before Self So That Others May Live"
post #26 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Garage
Drove the Bronco to work yesterday, and went around for a couple of errands in the afternoon, running with the A/C on...Ambient temp in the afternoon was probably around 92 degrees, give or take, on my aftermarket gauge the temp steadily crept up to 210..the dash gauge was reading pretty much dead nuts in the middle, maybe a little bit past..

I know it's not overheating, but what concerns me is the temp staying that high..Can't see where it would hurt to have a "better" radiator, so I'm going to take the plunge on the 4 core aluminum and see if that will make any difference. I'll keep you all posted.
post #27 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 10:13 AM
Ford Hoarder

Bronco Info: See Signature
Maybe go to a high flow stat as well? same temp as you have now though

The Street Queen: '92 Eddie Bauer- C6 Swap, Roller 357W 400hp/400ft-lbs, SCT Tuned, 4" Lift, 4.10's,
Go Fastish Build: '78 Custom- 4" Deaver Lift, Mild 460, Full Cage, 4.10's
Build Thread http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...8-project.html
post #28 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyBRONCOguy View Post
Maybe go to a high flow stat as well? same temp as you have now though
does a high flow stat just do what the name implies and flows coolant more quickly, or does it do something else?
post #29 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Garage
look what arrived...

opened the box everything looks good nice welds, none of the fins were boogered up, and it even came with radiator cap. will be curious to see if I run into any clearance issues. I can already tell it's a good bit wider than the one in there now.

It's going to push the shroud a little closer to the engine, but I don't think that is going to be a problem.

hopefully I can get it installed tonight..
post #30 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 04:21 PM

Bronco Info: 1994 Bronco 5.0 liter e4od factory MAF, 130 amp 3g, auxillary transmission filter and cooler.
Is it a 3 or 4 core? Maybe its the pictures but It doesn't look that much wider than the factory one.

My Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/pfun41#p/a
The going get tough, the tough get debt
Don't pay attention, pay the rent
Next of kins pay for your sins
A little faith should keep us safe
post #31 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Garage
4 core. my eyeball says it's wider, but I could be mistaken.
post #32 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 05:56 PM

Bronco Info: 1991 EB 5.8l E4OD manual 1356 lifted manual hubs sittin on 35's custom exhaust no smog still passes
wish i'd spotted this sooner. i've done loads of research into better radiators. believe it or not, radiator does make a difference but not as much as the tstat does. i used to have a 160 that the previous owner had installed and when the fans were working and no leaks were present the gauge stayed at the low end. this was running a 5.8 with the e4od and ac in the summer in houston. had a blow out got a good 2 core radiator from oreilly and a 180 tstat. noticed it ran higher but then figured out it was the tstat after swapping the old one and then going back. even still the factory size 2 core radiator will keep my truck cool no matter whats going on. provided my fans are working. i can sit stuck in traffic for an hour in houston heat and the truck doesn't care a bit. well the transmission cared but its a finicky bitch anyways. just figured i'd offer my 2 cents on that.

bit by bit and piece by piece
part by part and bolt by bolt.
one day it will all be done.
and then i'll have to start over.
post #33 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 08:49 PM
Ford Hoarder

Bronco Info: See Signature
sweet, did you get that from the place you linked earlier??? I can only find the 3 row on ebay and the like.
The high flow stats supposedly have more surface area to allow more coolant threw them when they are open. I run them in mine and noticed a little cooler temps. Especially in my 460 truck as those run hotter in the 96 for emmisions and stuff (or so I have read).

The Street Queen: '92 Eddie Bauer- C6 Swap, Roller 357W 400hp/400ft-lbs, SCT Tuned, 4" Lift, 4.10's,
Go Fastish Build: '78 Custom- 4" Deaver Lift, Mild 460, Full Cage, 4.10's
Build Thread http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...8-project.html
post #34 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Garage
yes, I got it from radiator express..$310 to my door..one of the top mounting brackets was a tweaked a bit, but I was able to straighten it out in my vise. only issue I ran into was the holes for the shroud don't quite line up, but that is easy enough to modify and there weren't any clearance issues.

I'll add the high flow stat to my list...sounds like a worthwhile investment..

It's pretty much installed, so I'll post up some pics tomorrow..just need tighten the fan bolts, get the shroud bolted in and fill it up with coolant..

anyone know where I can get the rubber grommets for the mounting holes? I was able to reuse my old one but they're in pretty rough shape..
post #35 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 10:36 PM

Bronco Info: 1994 Bronco 5.0 liter e4od factory MAF, 130 amp 3g, auxillary transmission filter and cooler.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jermil01 View Post
yes, I got it from radiator express..$310 to my door..one of the top mounting brackets was a tweaked a bit, but I was able to straighten it out in my vise. only issue I ran into was the holes for the shroud don't quite line up, but that is easy enough to modify and there weren't any clearance issues.

I'll add the high flow stat to my list...sounds like a worthwhile investment..

It's pretty much installed, so I'll post up some pics tomorrow..just need tighten the fan bolts, get the shroud bolted in and fill it up with coolant..

anyone know where I can get the rubber grommets for the mounting holes? I was able to reuse my old one but they're in pretty rough shape..
Mine came with new ones, I remember it coming with new ones anyway. It came with lots of new stuff.

My Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/pfun41#p/a
The going get tough, the tough get debt
Don't pay attention, pay the rent
Next of kins pay for your sins
A little faith should keep us safe
post #36 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Garage
I think the one I got from napa did too..I checked through the entire box and there wasn't anything else in there..maybe I'll give them a call.
post #37 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Garage
here it is..

first thing you'll notice is the difference in the thickness of the cores. even without the tape measure it's pretty apparent.

and the measurement..

almost 3 inches..

just a little over 2..

Getting there..

all that's left is drilling some new holes for the shroud and adding coolant..

post #38 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 10:42 PM
Owned 21 Years

Bronco Info: 95XLT351 E4OD SAS 44/ARB/Alloy shafts-joints. D60 rear/Detroit. 4wheel disc,35" KO2's, 4.56etc.
Let us know how that works out. I have the "heatbuster" 4 core copper/brass in mine, at least 8-9 years now, never an issue. Stock clutch fan still. What I spent money on next was the tranny temp gauge and an electric fan to turn on for the tranny cooler out front. don't want the tranny too hot, that is a big repair bill.

post #39 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Garage
Pretty sure I have the system completely burped..took a couple of cycles but the level in the reservoir is now right at the cold fill line every time the engine cools down.

I'm running a heavy duty fan clutch and the 7 blade fan as well so it's moving plenty of air..so far so good, temp gauge reads pretty much dead nuts in the middle of normal, and it was close to 100 yesterday maybe hotter with the heat index..I've got a tranny temp gauge and a big tranny cooler, but no fan for it..don't think I've seen over 150 on my tranny temp..

For a brief moment yesterday, I thought I had a catastrophic leak. I'd stopped and noticed coolant was streaming down the drivers side near the front core support..when I popped the hood, I found the old rubber cap that covers the nipple near the neck of the radiator had sprung a leak. ran into advance grabbed another one and I'm back in business.
post #40 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 11:40 PM
Chillin on the Gulf Coast

Bronco Info: Blue 89' EB 5.0, E4OD, OBDII, Mass Air, Saginaw, Hydroboost, 3G alt
THIS SITE stocks radiators for our trucks and they are built to last. The guy makes them specifically for off roading and such.

μολὼν λαβέ
Build the best you can with what you have to work with. Quality parts and quality installation is where it all starts.
"It is idle to say that combinations of old elements cannot be inventions; substantially every invention is for such a 'combination': that is to say, it consists of former elements in a new assemblage."
Supermotors

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 1980-'96 Bronco Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode